Styx Fans Unite!

PDA

View Full Version : Styx Fans Unite!

Shredding Sam
07-02-2006, 11:24 AM
How many of you here are STYX fans? What is your favourite song of theirs and why do you like it?

rayIII
07-02-2006, 11:34 AM
they're alright... couple good songs... my favorite is probably come sail away. Kinda like a heavier bohemian-rhapsody-esque epic.

iain4444
07-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Styx is a pretty good band. I really like the piano in come sail away, but I think my favourite is Renegade - especially when Chris Daughtry (sp??) does it. I'm going to see them in about 3 weeks, its going to be awesome. :p:

wmzbomgzors
07-02-2006, 11:42 AM
yea they throw on a great show. I've seen them twice.

SethMegadefan
07-02-2006, 11:46 AM
I'm not too terribly into them, but from what I've heard of them, I love. Obviously I've heard most of their more popular stuff on the radio, and I have "Kilroy Was Here" on cassette. I suppose my favorite song would have to be "Mr. Roboto", because apart from being really catchy... well... alright, I'll tell you all a little story:
In 6th grade, I brought the Kilroy Was Here cassette into class for a Christmas party. I printed off copies of lyrics and handed them out to everybody, and the teacher said I could play Mr. Roboto over her stereo if I agreed to get up in front of the class and sing it. And I did. I even did the robot dance and everything.
And to this day I'll never live it down. :haha

12-string
07-02-2006, 11:48 AM
I live in STyx, its ****

BlueOyster23
07-03-2006, 11:28 AM
I saw Styx about 2 weeks ago and they were pretty awesome, to tell the truth, they were the first classic rock band I loved.

AdayTripper
07-03-2006, 05:14 PM
I like em.
Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man) is my favorite song by them.

DownDark
07-03-2006, 09:09 PM
Come Sail Away is my favorite song becaus it's so over the top, and I like that. I have the album "The Grand Illusion" and it rules.

Rock1986
07-04-2006, 01:58 AM
Crytal Ball is a fantastic song

wilty00
07-04-2006, 02:31 PM
Styx has fans? :p:

Styx, as I've said before, is the kind of band you can listen to every once in awhile and enjoy the occasional song but theres no way I could go through a whole album without stabbing myself in the face.

SethMegadefan
07-04-2006, 02:32 PM

Styx, as I've said before, is the kind of band you can listen to every once in awhile and enjoy the occasional song but theres no way I could go through a whole album without stabbing myself in the face.
I guess they're just not you're style. I happen to find them pretty good.
In the words of Eric Foreman, about Styx: "I prefer a more lush, orchestral sound to my music".

rayIII
07-04-2006, 03:59 PM

same here

alex_haeni
07-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Yes!
My mom is such a HUGE styx fan, she has like every album.
Come sail away is a really great song.

BlueOyster23
07-05-2006, 10:29 PM
A lot of people don't like Styx, which makes me sad, but what really hurts is when they hear up to 3 or 4 Styx songs and make a judgement. "Rockin' The Paradise," "Too Much Time On My Hands," "Rock & Roll Feeling," "Snowblind," "Miss America," and "Man In The Wilderness" are a few songs more people need to hear.

SethMegadefan
07-05-2006, 11:27 PM
A lot of people don't like Styx, which makes me sad, but what really hurts is when they hear up to 3 or 4 Styx songs and make a judgement. "Rockin' The Paradise," "Too Much Time On My Hands," "Rock & Roll Feeling," "Snowblind," "Miss America," and "Man In The Wilderness" are a few songs more people need to hear.
I've actually heard "Too Much Time on My Hands" on the radio more often than "Come Sail Away" and "The Grand Illusion" combined. I wouldn't really consider that one an obscure track.
And I've always really liked "Cold War". Cool riffage, especially for a Styx song.

JethroTullfan72
07-05-2006, 11:42 PM
Styx had one really good album, "The Grand Illusion", which every song is excellent. The other albums had a couple hits on them that were ok.
"Cornerstone" was an ok album too.
Overall, Styx is an ok band but you have to be in a mood to listen to them.

kep189
07-05-2006, 11:45 PM
Styx is one of my favorites, my favorite song has got to be Blue Collar Man, Angry Young Man, or Lady.

SethMegadefan
07-05-2006, 11:53 PM
Styx had one really good album, "The Grand Illusion", which every song is excellent. The other albums had a couple hits on them that were ok.
"Cornerstone" was an ok album too.
Overall, Styx is an ok band but you have to be in a mood to listen to them.
I was talking to some other people the other day, and they thought the same way, too. I've always loved Kilroy Was Here, but I've yet to see a fan that really adores it as much as I do. So many good songs... a couple cheesy ones, but it's mostly awesome. Maybe I'm the only one...
Though you're right, The Grand Illusion is pretty much the band's pinnacle.

distilledspirit
07-06-2006, 12:03 AM
They're Classic Rock?

SethMegadefan
07-06-2006, 12:08 AM
They're Classic Rock?
Considering that their first album was released in 1972, one would think they'd definitely qualify.
You could even classify them as Prog Rock if you really wanted to, but they're still classic rock in my eyes. After all, YES is as prog rock as you can get and they're still Classic Rock.

distilledspirit
07-06-2006, 12:10 AM
OK I wasn't too sure I never heard any of their stuff so I assumed they weren't CR.

SethMegadefan
07-06-2006, 12:29 AM
OK I wasn't too sure I never heard any of their stuff so I assumed they weren't CR.
Never heard any of their stuff? Not even "Come Sail Away"? Perhaps "The Grand Illusion"? Come on, you had to have heard "Mr. Roboto" at one point or another. None of those ringing any bells?

SW-14
07-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Some of their songs are not bad, but alot of them just seem....gay. For example, Come Sail Away. My girlfriend and I always laugh at that song when it comes up on my Ipod.

"I'm....saailiing awayyyy....Set an open couuurse, for the virgin seeeea...."

SethMegadefan
07-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Some of their songs are not bad, but alot of them just seem....gay. For example, Come Sail Away. My girlfriend and I always laugh at that song when it comes up on my Ipod.

"I'm....saailiing awayyyy....Set an open couuurse, for the virgin seeeea...."
How dare you mock one of the most beautiful songs ever written!
Just because it's soft doesn't mean it's gay. Unless it's Journey. Then it's gay.

distilledspirit
07-06-2006, 12:27 PM
Never heard any of their stuff? Not even "Come Sail Away"? Perhaps "The Grand Illusion"? Come on, you had to have heard "Mr. Roboto" at one point or another. None of those ringing any bells?

Oh wow, I've heard Come Sail Away and The Grand Illusion, I just never knew who I was listening to :p:

SethMegadefan
07-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Oh wow, I've heard Come Sail Away and The Grand Illusion, I just never knew who I was listening to :p:
Heh heh, glad to help out. :D

Shredding Sam
07-06-2006, 06:12 PM
Unless it's Journey. Then it's gay.

STFU >:(

BlueOyster23
07-07-2006, 12:12 PM
How dare you mock one of the most beautiful songs ever written!
Just because it's soft doesn't mean it's gay. Unless it's Journey. Then it's gay.

Styx was known for their softer stuff, but they have some rockin' stuff, even harder rock, and it's even better live.

BTW, Journey isn't gay, they have plenty of good songs..."Wheel In The Sky," "Don't Stop Believin'," ummm....