Santana

PDA

View Full Version : Santana

thesumoftwo
07-02-2006, 11:52 AM
i am a huge santana fan and i have started to learn quite a few of hs songs, now however, i am just looking his killer tone and sound now. So anybody got any tips for me? i.e. what pedals, what ettings. That kinda thing. I didnt post this in the settings thread because about gear aswel as settings.

Thanks for all your help.

Neon Knight
07-02-2006, 12:01 PM
If you want to make a gear thread make it, but ALL talk of settings goes in the required thread.

seljer
07-02-2006, 12:02 PM
just 3 words: overdrive tube amp

Dave_Mc
well, he uses PRS guitars, and mesa and dumble amps. Are you one of those wall street whizzkids?

seljer
well, he uses PRS guitars, and mesa and dumble amps. Are you one of those wall street whizzkids?

back in the Woodstock era he had that Gibson SG with P90s in it, I'd say I preferred his tone back then (but I have a thing for the tone SGs give, hate the way they play though)

Dave_Mc
07-02-2006, 12:05 PM
^ ah, yeah, good point. I think he had one of those L5's as well, and had one of those yamaha sg's as well.

Really depends- do you want his modern tone, or his old tone, sum?

thesumoftwo
07-02-2006, 12:19 PM
the whole evil ways, lets get together and smooth tone. Is there any kind of pedals i can use to get the tone and general sound. (even self make things like from eagroove or whatever) im just looking for stuff like that really. I'm slowly saving for the tube amp but itll take me about a year to save and i cant wait that long

Neon Knight
07-02-2006, 12:19 PM
He also used to use fender amps with ripped speakers (i think)

Dave_Mc
07-02-2006, 12:23 PM
^ ah, you want both his classic and modern tones, then. hmmm. I have no idea. maybe a boss OD3 overdrive pedal? I'm not too well up on pedals, to be honest...

seljer
07-02-2006, 12:28 PM
the whole evil ways, lets get together and smooth tone. Is there any kind of pedals i can use to get the tone and general sound. (even self make things like from eagroove or whatever) im just looking for stuff like that really. I'm slowly saving for the tube amp but itll take me about a year to save and i cant wait that long

This ones worth a shot: http://runoffgroove.com/umble.html

thesumoftwo
07-02-2006, 12:29 PM
would i be right in saying that he has a lot of mids in his tone? it sounds like that to me but im not too hot on guessing tone. Because that way i could probably start with a mid booster. Then work out a suitable OD pedal.

seljer
07-02-2006, 12:31 PM
I believe these days his got a Tubescreamer (which is a pretty midrangey and treble heavey pedal) in his setup just as a boost

thesumoftwo
07-02-2006, 12:50 PM
wow, thanks so much for all the help, ive learnt a lot a lot quicker than i wouldve done without you dudes, thanks!

R_H_C_P
07-02-2006, 02:11 PM
He really does have a special tone, I'm lisnin' to Samba Pi Ta now, wow.

And I just watched a Mighty Boosh episode when they were saying a lot about Santana aswell....

power freak
07-02-2006, 02:59 PM
OK, you want a Dumble style OD pedal.... Try:

Menatone Howie (V. expensive)
Hermida Zendrive (My personal favourite, but slightly less Santana like... Needs a boost IMO)
HAO Rumble Mod (I believe that's the Dumble type one.)
Xotic AC booster (Not really that dumble like but will point you in the right direction.)

Add a nice fender style amp and a mahogany bodied guitar to those and you should be fine and dandy.

:cheers:

FAKE EDIT: You may also want to use a wah parked 1/2 way through the sweep because he uses one of those a lot... A volume pedal will help too.... But the main thing is his touch, don't pick overly hard and use an extremely large pick. Fret powerfully but keep the vibrato natural and flowing. For settings use a load of mids little bass and quite a bit of treble for the early sounds.. For the smooth era sounds boost the mids further increase the bass and reduce treble.

call1800ksmyazz
07-02-2006, 03:13 PM
OK, you want a Dumble style OD pedal.... Try:

Menatone Howie (V. expensive)
Hermida Zendrive (My personal favourite, but slightly less Santana like... Needs a boost IMO)
HAO Rumble Mod (I believe that's the Dumble type one.)
Xotic AC booster (Not really that dumble like but will point you in the right direction.)

Add a nice fender style amp and a mahogany bodied guitar to those and you should be fine and dandy.

:cheers:

FAKE EDIT: You may also want to use a wah parked 1/2 way through the sweep because he uses one of those a lot... A volume pedal will help too.... But the main thing is his touch, don't pick overly hard and use an extremely large pick. Fret powerfully but keep the vibrato natural and flowing. For settings use a load of mids little bass and quite a bit of treble for the early sounds.. For the smooth era sounds boost the mids further increase the bass and reduce treble.

The Zendrive has a wait list though so its hard to get. Since I live near Alf, I called him and asked to help him out by being like an apprentise and he said that he will email me when he needs someone because he has some people already but when he gets really busy he will contact me! Im so happy! :D

\m/metallica\m/
07-02-2006, 05:48 PM
I loveeee his prs guitars, i always use my neck pickup when i play his stuff, but thats me

Cmogi10
07-02-2006, 07:21 PM
If you don't want to shell out for a dumble you can get a (more) affordable clone such as a fuchs or a two rock. Crank it up and use the neck pickup with the tone knob rolled off.

xifr
07-02-2006, 08:08 PM
He started using the Mesa Boogie in the early 80s (can't remember the year exactly).

His amp settings for the Mark I are T7, M9, B4. The Mesa is a very bassy amp, so he has his EQ set up like that to compensate. Once you factor that in, it's basicly your standard frown shape.

The tubescreamer is used for sustain. You can get the settings he uses on it and his other pedals from his site, then going to musicians corner (it's under one of the buttons, I don't remember which).

bluespunkmetal
07-03-2006, 02:05 AM
His tone kinda reminds me of classic Brian May though !!

IncubusMan999
07-03-2006, 05:48 AM
basically, to get a santana tone, you need to have the exact santana gear. His tone is very unique and difficult to emulate with modern gear. He has built himself a very recognisable tone with his gear. He uses Mesa/Boogie Mark I's and Dumble Overdrive 212's, both vintage amps and both boutique. If you never heard of Dumble, they are a boutique amp company, very rare to find. Ben Harper is another user of them. That and a vintage Tubescreamer and that pretty much sums it up. You could get a Boogie but the modern Boogie's sound very different to the vintage ones. The onyl thing i can recommend is a PRS guitar and some sort of low gain amp, like a Fender Twin that has a nice, organic vintage-sounding overdrive. But itll take you a while to EQ it.

xifr
07-03-2006, 06:03 AM
basically, to get a santana tone, you need to have the exact santana gear. His tone is very unique and difficult to emulate with modern gear. He has built himself a very recognisable tone with his gear. He uses Mesa/Boogie Mark I's and Dumble Overdrive 212's, both vintage amps and both boutique. If you never heard of Dumble, they are a boutique amp company, very rare to find. Ben Harper is another user of them. That and a vintage Tubescreamer and that pretty much sums it up. You could get a Boogie but the modern Boogie's sound very different to the vintage ones. The onyl thing i can recommend is a PRS guitar and some sort of low gain amp, like a Fender Twin that has a nice, organic vintage-sounding overdrive. But itll take you a while to EQ it.
Don't forget the magical Santana fingers.

... I wish I was born Spanish :(

bluespunkmetal
07-03-2006, 06:59 AM
Does he run them amps both ath the same time ??

DunlopGuy
07-03-2006, 02:03 PM
well, to get a santana sound (who i freakin' love), i turn my fender twin to a resonable volume and then use my modded rat to give a very smooth overdrive. usually with lots of bass and mids, but not too much. i use my bridge pickup with the tone rolled off slightly also

fenderstrat9698
07-10-2006, 04:52 AM
i have a fender mexican strat with emgs and a 25db and midrange boost. when i turn the midrange all the way down and 25 up and selector to the bridge, it gets a pretty good santana tone in my opinion. plus with a overdriven tube amp (such as a fender or mesa or whatever with tubes) it gets a pretty good profile of his tone.

SantanaMan69
12-17-2008, 12:58 AM
When trying to get the Santana tone, it depends on which era you're talking about! :) Check here for some info about his gear during different time periods:

http://www.savortheband.com/Santana/Tone-Guitar-Amp-Gear-01.html

chea_man
12-17-2008, 01:03 AM
you can get a very similar tone as a dumble with a great sounding american clean with a good quality OD pedal, add a warm mahogany humbuckered guitar.

i_am_metalhead
12-17-2008, 01:25 AM
...I thought this was a thread about Santa...

:facepalm: