Comp Ideas Thread - July/Sept

PDA

View Full Version : Comp Ideas Thread - July/Sept

#1 synth
07-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Well, June is over so its time for a new one of these I assume! Yay! so as to not deviate from Steve's threads I will introduce what this is all about. This thread is the place where dreams are born, packaged and shipped off to sweatshops. This is the place where all of your wildes imagination becomes manifest. This is the place where the word jezebel may be used and accepted as a formal greeting. This is the Competition ideas thread.

The purpose of this is for you, the forumers, to spew out outlandish ideas for competitions and have the rest of the forumites say yay or nay to the ideas (they may also bray like a horse, as those words rhyme). If said forumnizers do like your idea and you have a fair amount of support for the competition then go ahead and make a 'sign-up thread'!

A sign up thread is one in which you designate two things:

1. what the heck the specified competition is about
and
2. what the rules for the competition are.
(actually, theres a third one)
3. sign-up slots so you can edit in the participents so have so far.

Well, thats about it, I'm off to Turkey, so get suggesting and I'll see you kool kats when I get back. (oh, and if this is ussually Steve's thing and he wants to do it instead, just delete this, I'm not one for disrupting tradition... unless its hanakha, cause I cant spell it for the life of me.)

#1 synth
07-02-2006, 08:35 PM
my idea for a comp is the 'revision duet comp where n00bs and non-n00bs are paired up to get the best piece, I think' the name needs a little work but bear with me. one person (preferably a n00b) writes a rough draft and hopefully it wont be a masterpiece. Then the 'non-n00b' who the n00b was paired with revises the piece to his liking and about 8 teams will do this. then I'll pit them against each other in some crazy ways.

well, yay or bray?

Something_Vague
07-02-2006, 10:18 PM
I'm up for a Super Comp. aka, anything can be entered.

It's fast and easy to do. 12-16 people, big comp, goes quickly, big winner.

Final
07-02-2006, 10:22 PM
^I'd be up for that.

#1 synth
07-02-2006, 10:24 PM

I'd be down.

Something_Vague
07-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Who wouldn't?

Retribution
07-10-2006, 10:11 AM
Who wouldn't?

I wish there was a way to...er... 'filter' the participants though.

haha.

I know that's unfair though.

paraboetheo
07-16-2006, 01:55 AM
Hmm... I had something of a team-battle concept using the Japanese renga.

Three teams of three poets each collaborate on creating a single renga of a haiku and fifteen couplets (according to the usual style of collaboration). Hence, each team member offers a haiku to begin the renga, in which the whole team votes on the best, and then offers (in a determined order) five of the fifteen couplets. Then, the winner is decided in two ways: 1) best haiku and 2) best overall renga.

(If it sounds fair, the logistics would work out to something like "best haiku" would win each team member one point, while "best renga" would pull three points - 2nd place for "best renga" would recieve a prize of one point.)

I figure that the basic restrictions on form aren't too conflicting to a creative environment, since UG is such a massive fan of free verse (we're talking 5-7-5 on haikus, and 7-7 couplets).

Eh? (What about whinneying instead of braying?)

justapoet
07-17-2006, 02:45 AM

I may be new to the forum, but i've been writing for a while... I'm in.

xArCaDiAx
07-17-2006, 08:33 AM
^Sorry. But registration for it is closed. And the people in it are wating for the comp to start up.

LOOKtheskyfell!
07-17-2006, 04:36 PM
i remember this idea was used a while back and might be fun right now...and imitation writer thread? i thought it was pretty fun, maybe we could try it again?

AuSsIePuNk92
07-18-2006, 02:55 AM
is there still any spots left in this comp im new as you probably know, and ive been lookin for any comps to join up in?

TrigFunction
07-18-2006, 03:05 AM
umm this isnt a comp... its just ideas for a competition that someone would like to suggest. If your talkinga bout the grand championship one, no its already filled. But im sure eventaully another comp will start up and if your interested just type in and your in :D

-Mike

btw im for another imitiation writer comp

Jammydude44
07-24-2006, 05:52 PM
I suggest that we don't try any new comps, but try and get the international comp workin gout, and the Vets vs Newbies, and the Grand Championship up and running, because they were 3 intersting comps that have kind of... stalled.

pumpkins_rule
07-31-2006, 10:33 PM
We should have a comp where you have to write something on drugs. You have to specify the drug, dose, etc.

frd_marshll
07-31-2006, 10:36 PM
i really like that idea lets do it

TrigFunction
08-01-2006, 01:44 AM
eh, i think it should just be about drugs. Not about what kind, dosage, and all that.

pumpkins_rule
08-01-2006, 03:59 PM
eh, i think it should just be about drugs. Not about what kind, dosage, and all that.

No I mean you should indicate what kind of drug you were on when you wrote the piece. And it's not supposed to be about drugs, it's supposed to be something you wrote while on drugs. No subject matter will be unacceptable.

frd_marshll
08-01-2006, 04:04 PM
do it

pooch0072
08-01-2006, 05:40 PM
How about a parable competition?

TrigFunction
08-01-2006, 05:45 PM
LMFAO this is the best idea ever

you want...

all of us to do drugs

and write poems

and just get high off our asses

while writing poems?

TrigFunction
08-01-2006, 05:50 PM

synth says he likes this idea... can you just unban him so i no longer have to post for him?...maybe... ha

an another note

Me and arcadia are coming up with every idea that we have here / all the comps weve had in that past and laying out a full year ( dont worry were gonna have slots open for suggestions in here every 2 months) basically we want one comp to be running for two weeks, then a new one starts. Were also thinking of maybe starting the points completely over.and forgetting the grand comp. But i think we need some backing on that. so whats everyone think?

pumpkins_rule
08-02-2006, 05:11 PM
LMFAO this is the best idea ever

you want...

all of us to do drugs

and write poems

and just get high off our asses

while writing poems?

Well you don't have to enter the competition if you don't want to do drugs...

scousertommy
08-02-2006, 09:11 PM
I wholeheartedly endorse this product and/or idea. Though I know it'll probably never fly.

Eh, yeah, drugs. Isn't the guy that suggested that a genuine drug addict now? I'm not joking :confused:

TrigFunction
08-03-2006, 02:54 AM
Well pumpkins im pretty sure none of the mods are going to approve of this... though it does say in the rules that anybody can start a competition, though the mods reserve the right to close it if they see fit. I honestly dont know how many people your going to get to do it though.

#1 synth
08-03-2006, 09:26 PM
Mike and Nelson- Clear the system please and just know that I fukin appreciate the hell out of you (well not really Mike... actually not really Mike at all... damn I hate him :p: ) for all the revitalizing work you are putting into S&L. Like seriously, and I believe I speak for most of S&L when I say, thank you Nelson!

O and I'll only do the drug one if you hook me up with the stuff... got any connections in Oregon?

Edit: Pooch, set up the Parable comp, even if its just me you and Ronan, its a damn good idea.

TrigFunction
08-03-2006, 10:08 PM
dylans just jealous that i had out with super hott nebraskan models and he gets his less then average girlfriend. On another note is there any more backing on just starting over? this would require some rules changes so pooch or alice, we need your input. On the parable comp, idk how many people your going to get to enter but i like the idea. Also pooch or alice what do you think about implementing a one point deduction if you enter a competition and dont send in a piece by deadline. I think we should do it, it will help them run better especially if were trying to get it more organized. the people that are running the comp could just post all the names that signed up but didnt send in pieces with a -1 after em.

-Mike

xArCaDiAx
08-04-2006, 12:38 AM
^We use to have it.

#1 synth
08-04-2006, 12:45 AM
any paticular reason why you took it away? it seems like a pretty damn good idea to me...

Retribution
08-07-2006, 09:54 PM
I'd write a parable.

But what about a parable/fable, since they're kinda similar? Up to you guys.

ktownsxfinest
08-11-2006, 05:28 PM
hey, is it too late to get into this comp? yea, im a n00b here at UG but that doesnt mean i suck at writing... so is it cool?

ktownsxfinest
08-11-2006, 05:29 PM
cept i dont do drugs, lol..

Retribution
08-11-2006, 09:55 PM
hey, is it too late to get into this comp? yea, im a n00b here at UG but that doesnt mean i suck at writing... so is it cool?

This isn't a comp. it's suggestions. Wait for a sign up thread.

Retribution
08-11-2006, 09:55 PM
cept i dont do drugs, lol..

Yeah... that was a... never mind. I quit. :rolleyes:

ktownsxfinest
08-12-2006, 12:56 PM
ok, thanks. :)

#1 synth
09-14-2006, 01:15 AM
I'm going to make an Alphabet Comp if thats okay with you Nelson.

it consists of poems with 26 lines, each line must start with the consecutive letters in the alphabet

ie. the first three lines could be:

Angry, I feel torn
Between the snow and sheets of
Choir-boys melting on my tongue

and then it goes on like that to z. I would ask people judge on flow as well as content. any objections {nelson?}

Retribution
09-16-2006, 09:00 PM
I'm going to make an Alphabet Comp if thats okay with you Nelson.

it consists of poems with 26 lines, each line must start with the consecutive letters in the alphabet

ie. the first three lines could be:

Angry, I feel torn
Between the snow and sheets of
Choir-boys melting on my tongue

and then it goes on like that to z. I would ask people judge on flow as well as content. any objections {nelson?}

Now, THATS fun.

Jammydude44
09-17-2006, 06:40 AM
Great Idea, synth. I'm for it.

#1 synth
09-17-2006, 11:05 AM
I wrote one last night and the first line was 'Abraham Lincoln is a con', it was a fun and easy thing to write, i think I'm gonna set it up and probably post the first one I wrote sometime this week :)

amy_gail
09-29-2006, 06:12 PM
shouldnt there be an idea thread for October pretty soon?
Maybe this has been done before but maybe there could be a comp where you write this ode (dunno how you spell that.. too lazy to check) to your hero.... its not about writing in his or hers style though.
Another comp could be where you write your own Eulogy, in a poetic way of course.
i know my idea's are a lill depressing sorry for that:p:

DanteR*
09-29-2006, 06:21 PM
^ I like it :)

What would everyone think about a parody competition? We would choose one popular song and change the lyrics.

amy_gail
09-29-2006, 06:25 PM
^ thats a good idea too... but should you change it so that the song is still like recognizable or something? or should you just make your version and totally change it:)?

Jammydude44
09-29-2006, 06:25 PM
Again, that sound like a good idea. Can someone just start upa comp soon, it's been a while and the vet and newbies and international comps just faded, so howabout starting up something ?

Jamie

amy_gail
09-29-2006, 06:41 PM
well dont we need some of the mods approval...and why dont you do it?:) i dont know how to start up a comp:p: or maybe im just lazy...
anyway get one of the mods approval and then youre good to go:)