~yardweasel~
07-02-2006, 09:19 PM
any fans?? i like him
didnt see a thread on him, dont know if
this is the right forum for him eather, so sorry if it
is the wrong forum..

kev_dunn
07-02-2006, 09:23 PM
yeah man, Clapton is great. i really like his work with Cream and his solo blues stuff. i think hes the best, but ill leave that up to everybody else

obey_yourmaster
07-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Clapton=God

cokeisbetter
07-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Clapton=God

Nice. Yeah, Clapton is one of the most soulful guitarists ever. I mean, listen to his stuff! It's Godly!

jrthegreat91
07-02-2006, 09:31 PM
y does clapton = god i think hes good but not that good

jimmypage7
07-02-2006, 09:34 PM
yeah im going to see him with derek trucks later this year

obey_yourmaster
07-02-2006, 09:38 PM
I envy you. :mad:

Psychedelic
07-02-2006, 09:38 PM
im seein him this october, and theres many threads on eric clapton here...

~yardweasel~
07-02-2006, 10:03 PM
clapton is a true god i will agree..

Cptbeefheart
07-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Of course Clapton = God. I prefer his Cream/Bluesbreakers era to what he is doing now. But I still like his new stuff.

sock_demon
07-02-2006, 11:01 PM
I swear Clapton is Jesus reincarnated

distilledspirit
07-02-2006, 11:13 PM
I love Eric Clapton but many people underate him because of his more played out songs such as Layla, White Room, and Sunshine of You Love. Those songs being great, they are far from what Clapton can really give us. His stuff in the 60's and 70's are my favorites of his, especially Derek & The Dominoes. I'm not a huge fan of his 80's and 90's stuff but he still could show you how good he was. A couple things to check out nowadays would be his albums Back Home and Me and Mr. Johnson, also his Clapton and Friends Live at Montreux. It's jazz but it features awesome musicians and slowhand himself.

Shredding Sam
07-03-2006, 12:44 AM
I play a lot of his songs, but to be quite honest, they are not very challenging in the least. He uses basic Am Pentatonic patterns in all his songs.

ufossuck
07-03-2006, 01:02 AM
Clapton is indeed God, but Beck is a superior guitarist. The Yardbirds did much better stuff after God left. I like how Clapton plays with just about every great musician you can name, J.J. Cale, Hubert Sumlin, Buddy Guy to name a few. I don't think music history would be the same without God.

DarkGreedo25
07-03-2006, 09:00 AM
Clapton is awesome. Going to see him this September. :D

psychodelia
07-03-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm mostly a fan of his Derek & the Dominoes stuff. I never got into him as a soloist* that much, but I like the music a lot.

*guitar soloing, not his solo career: I do like some of his solo material.

JimmyPageda2nd
07-03-2006, 11:19 AM
I liked his work with Cream the best.

obey_yourmaster
07-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Clapton is indeed God, but Beck is a superior guitarist. The Yardbirds did much better stuff after God left. I like how Clapton plays with just about every great musician you can name, J.J. Cale, Hubert Sumlin, Buddy Guy to name a few. I don't think music history would be the same without God.
ok, fine. Clapton can be Jesus. Beck=God. :p:

VR05
07-04-2006, 12:46 PM
^ Beck isn't well known enough to be God. Clapton is still God. Anyway, Yes, I do like Eric Clapton, he is my #1 favorite Guitarist/Musician of all time. He is my hero, and I like all of his work, but especially with Cream. I hope to see him in the fall, he's coming somewhere around MD, so i'm gonna try to get tickets!

R_H_C_P
07-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Clapton's amazing, especially in Cream, oh how I love them.

guitarhero?
07-04-2006, 03:36 PM
How can you not love Clapton.
CLAPTON IS GOD
WE WANT GOD!!!!

Blind In 1 Ear
07-04-2006, 05:08 PM
clapton is why i started getting into guitar more seriously. the unplugged album was awesome because i only had an acustic at the time. his electric stuff is awesome as well and he still continues to inspire me.

icatchdinosaurs
07-04-2006, 05:11 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/04/Clapton_is_God_Graffiti.jpg

Riffomatic_5000
07-04-2006, 06:02 PM
Clapton's a great guitarist and his performance on "Crossraods" while he was with Cream, was truly outstanding.

TrigFunction
07-04-2006, 11:38 PM

Clapton is beautiful theres so much soul in all of his music and none of it is that same chewed up 203942034 times and spit out without a change after about the 20th bite... ( that was a really weird way to explain that) yesm.

BrainDamage
07-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Clapton is great. I really enjoy Cream, Derek and the Dominoes and his early solo stuff. Let it Rain is one of my favorite songs ever.

distilledspirit
07-05-2006, 11:20 AM
I advise everyone to buy Derek and the Dominoes - Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs. It's one of the best blues albums ever and some of Clapton's best work.

Punk Rocker
07-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Clapton is one of my biggest influences, he was one of the people who made me start guitar (Jack Bruce single handedly got me into Bass but thats a different story). I like all of Clapton's work, particularly the Derek and the Dominos era, I love every song on that album. He is indeed a Guitar God.

[the]whorocks
07-05-2006, 12:54 PM
yea, hes great, definatly a true Guitar God, thoguh I think Townshend is about tied with him...

alex_haeni
07-05-2006, 06:46 PM
Clapton is defenitaly an amazing guitar player.
He writes amazing acoustic songs, and some heavier stuff like Layla, he's so multi-talented.

Lydian_Mode
07-05-2006, 08:07 PM
IMO he was not bad with Cream, but he sucked as a solo artist. Like his covers of Knocking on Heaven's Door and Little Wing are HORRIBLE.

Dog Eat Dog
07-05-2006, 08:25 PM
Clapton is great especially Derek and the Dominoes but i have to admit that my favourite song on Layla is "Thorn tree in the Garden" (a song which he doesnt play on) but Claptons work with Duane on "Key to the Highway", "Have you ever loved a woman" and "Why does love got to be so sad" is amazing, very insperational. I also love Cream, I love Crossroads's guitar solos.

icatchdinosaurs
07-05-2006, 11:06 PM
^^to a few posts up...clapton>>>>townshend, in guitar skills...dunno about lyrics though

bluesbreaker59
07-05-2006, 11:12 PM
^^^true statement. clapton is a much better blues artist. townshend is a much better songwriter. but there is really no point in comparing the two. i love clapton's solo career just as much as his days with Cream and Derek and the Dominoes, Bluesbreakers. its all good music.

bobbob1299
07-06-2006, 01:55 AM
not the best parent in the world.

ufossuck
07-06-2006, 02:21 AM
IMO he was not bad with Cream, but he sucked as a solo artist. Like his covers of Knocking on Heaven's Door and Little Wing are HORRIBLE.
He did "Little Wing" with Derek and the Dominos and yes, it was horrible. His solo career was definatley not as good as his previous bands, but it was still good. He did a lot of his great stuff like "Cocaine" and "After Midnight" granted he couldn't improve upon J.J. Cale's versions, but I've never heard anyone do better than J.J. Cale. He also did kick ass southern rock stuff like "Tulsa Time." And he did good pop stuff, (he left The Yardbirds because he didn't like pop, but then started playing it) "Wonderful Tonight" which, no matter how you may criticize it, will get you laid.

07-08-2006, 07:04 AM
Clapton ****ing rules

hard_rock101
07-08-2006, 11:49 AM
clapton is an amazing guitarist. though some of his songs differ in styles (lay down sally), listening to his guitar work on the songs makes you respect him even more. made me think of the 70s show. Pastor Dave: "Now id like you all to draw in image of God. Stephen, what did you draw?" Hyde: "I drew Clapton" Eric: "Thats funny because, i drew clapton too"

that was a low blow, you should be ashamed

~yardweasel~
07-08-2006, 03:25 PM
lol yeah i remember that episode on the 70s show

TheHeartbreaker
07-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Clapton's awesome.

Despite the many groups he has played in, I can honestly say that my favorite band he was with was Derek and the Dominoes.

Even though the band only released one studio album, one live album (upon which Duane Allman, who contributed to all but four tracks on their studio album "Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs"), and a CD of a few jams, the band as a whole was great - great talent and skill, which was applied to make their music.

I noticed some guys earlier saying they thought the Derek and the Dominoes version of "Little Wing" was garbage, but it's my favorite version of the song, and, in my opinion, is the best.

I hope I get a chance to see Eric later this year with Derek Trucks and Doyle Bramhall III.

icatchdinosaurs
07-08-2006, 11:18 PM
what does eric clapton and coffee have in common?...............they both suck without cream....

Blind In 1 Ear
07-08-2006, 11:56 PM
what does eric clapton and coffee have in common?...............they both suck without cream....

mmmm i dunno.......didnt he win six grammys for "unplugged"? not too shabby. i personally enjoy all of the songs on unplugged.

pinkfloyd666
07-09-2006, 01:05 PM
cream is one of my favorite bands, they we're amazing

TheHeartbreaker
07-09-2006, 02:58 PM

Dude, looks at what other bands Clapton has been in...

The Yardbirds, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Derek and the Dominoes, Blind Faith, etc.

To be honest, as much as I like Cream, it's one of my least favorite Eric Clapton bands.

DarkGreedo25
07-09-2006, 03:05 PM
Why all the hate for solo Clapton?

~yardweasel~
07-09-2006, 03:50 PM
really

TheHeartbreaker
07-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Why all the hate for solo Clapton?

I don't hate it, but I don't like it as much, I'll admit.

I think people don't like his solo career as much because it's less electric and more acoustic, and people loved Clapton's work with his other bands, which were all primarily electric-based.

blues_rocker
07-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Going to see Clapton and Derek Trucks September 26 :D

icatchdinosaurs
07-09-2006, 11:21 PM
ill admit that the clapton now is better than the clapton of the 80s...the pre-cream stuff is ok and he really did branch out with blind faith ....but ive never really been a fan of his solo stuff

TheHeartbreaker
07-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Going to see Clapton and Derek Trucks September 26 :D

Yeah, I'm excited too.

I hope tickets aren't too expensive, or else I fear I might not be able to see him. :sad:

I'll be seeing Derek anyways, with The Allman Brothers Band, but I'd love to see Clapton, especially because he's performing a lot of Derek and the Dominoes material, and that was my favorite band that he was in.

guitarhero?
07-13-2006, 12:11 AM
yeah i prefer jeff beck espescialy "Jeff's Boogie" from Roger the Engineer but Clapton is still amazing

DoTheEvolution
07-13-2006, 12:46 AM
I get to see him!!! Yey!!!

blues_rocker
07-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Yeah, I'm excited too.

I hope tickets aren't too expensive, or else I fear I might not be able to see him. :sad:

I'll be seeing Derek anyways, with The Allman Brothers Band, but I'd love to see Clapton, especially because he's performing a lot of Derek and the Dominoes material, and that was my favorite band that he was in.

Yeah, I had to pay $139 canadian, but I have seats right near the stage :D . It's gonna be a sick show.

guitarhero?
07-14-2006, 03:23 AM
how bout blind faith? any fans?
personally i really like the band/album and think they could have gone a lot farther with great music

TimiHendrix33
07-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Well,about a week ago I didn't like him,but then discovered a largeer picture if his work,and I must say,he is a very good guitarists. I might see him in concert.

fr0zt
07-14-2006, 10:48 PM
i think clapton is EXTREMELY smart for picking a soulful young guitarist like Trucks to tour with him, because:

a) it will usher in a strong new era for clapton, especially if trucks appears on any studio cuts.

b) claptons albums have been sub-par since the late 70s, and getting trucks is a throwback to the derek and the dominoes when he played with great slide-ists like duane allman.

c) Songlines by the Derek Trucks Band is a classic album in a time of bland music, and hopefully this stroke of genius will rub off on clapton

God_Clapton
07-17-2006, 01:42 PM
Clapton has been, is and will be the best guitar artist ever. This halfman/halfgod can play ANYTHING and with ANYONE and ANYWHERE and EVERYONE will go speechless... his studio work is great and his live perfomances are unbelievable.

07-17-2006, 03:26 PM
eric clapton rules he is an awesome guitar player

notoriousnumber
07-17-2006, 04:33 PM
I like some of his stuff, I have his "Cream of Clapton" album which is basically a greatist hits compilations. But what I find is that if I just listen to the album the whole way through, the songs seem incredibly similar I just get so bored of them.

Also what the hell is up with his tone in "white room" and other songs, its just so fuzzy and horrible.

I do very much like the song "Let it Grow", Ill give him that.

:vhan:

psychodelia
07-17-2006, 04:48 PM
^ I think for his tone like that he turned everything on his amp up to ten.

The Arch-Mage
07-19-2006, 02:29 AM
I don't mean to sound negative by asking this question, but does anyone know if it is actually true that in the 80's, Brian May and Eddie van Halen created a tribute song for Clapton titled "Bluesbreaker", and after he heard it, he said that Brian and Eddie had no talent and couldn't play the guitar. Anyone know if this is true?

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy a decent portion of his music, but if he actually said this, then that is incredibly petty for someone of his standing, and I will lose a lot of respect for the man.

spike1618
07-19-2006, 07:00 AM
Clapton is one of the mos creative minds

have you hear Hey You {Pink Floyd} Clapton and Roger Waters playing

BrainDamage
07-19-2006, 09:05 AM
^^live on Waters' Pros and Cons tour in 1984? I used to have a bootleg which was quite good, but I lost it.

FreddieMercury
07-19-2006, 12:06 PM
I don't mean to sound negative by asking this question, but does anyone know if it is actually true that in the 80's, Brian May and Eddie van Halen created a tribute song for Clapton titled "Bluesbreaker", and after he heard it, he said that Brian and Eddie had no talent and couldn't play the guitar. Anyone know if this is true?

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy a decent portion of his music, but if he actually said this, then that is incredibly petty for someone of his standing, and I will lose a lot of respect for the man.

im going to his show in october and if he said that about brian may the tickets are going on ebay

The Arch-Mage
07-20-2006, 02:37 AM
Yeah, I know. Like I said, if that is actually true, in no way, shape, or form is that acceptable for someone of Clapton's standing. I still find it somewhat hard to believe, but I can definetely see Clapton saying something like that. Innocent until proven guilty, though, so to speak.

clapton-floyd
07-20-2006, 05:20 PM
Whoa people. We are talking about some Claptons, his talent and ability is just, WOW. If he did say that though, he was well out of order, because May is, a top quality player. And a word of advice to FreddieMercury, don't put those tickets on eBay, the show is awesome, I saw it in May. You would greatly regret selling them.

Clapton, THE greatest of all time dudes!

FreddieMercury
07-20-2006, 06:35 PM
haha i do have them on ebay because i am trying to sell to get money to buy better ones for the second show

kev_dunn
07-20-2006, 06:38 PM

that is the smartest thing ive ever seen on this site.

DoTheEvolution
07-20-2006, 09:19 PM
I get to see him in September....woo

clapton-floyd
07-21-2006, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapton-floyd

that is the smartest thing ive ever seen on this site.

Why thank you. And clever thinking Mercury, it's worth it.

bluewilliams
07-21-2006, 03:37 PM
I saw him a couple of months ago, in sheffield. it was incredible. anyone seen one more car, one more rider or crossroads or any of his recent gigs on dvd? he's so much better now, the band is incredible, the setlists are great. and derek trucks is utterly awesome. as is doyle bramhall.

stew_c
09-01-2006, 09:34 AM
i saw Clapton in manchester early this year and it was amazing, im not a fan of his yardbirds stuff, but i like dominos and cream but prefer his solo stuff.

clapton-floyd
09-01-2006, 03:17 PM
I think his playing at the minute is as good as it has been.

blues_rocker
09-01-2006, 03:31 PM
I'm seeing him in 26 days :cool:

Antroid
09-03-2006, 09:08 PM
Of course Clapton = God. I prefer his Cream/Bluesbreakers era to what he is doing now. But I still like his new stuff.

I agree, in some of those cream songs he makes that les paul sing like a bitch!

FreddieMercury
09-03-2006, 10:16 PM
few weeks for me

RobG&D
09-05-2006, 02:02 AM
he's one of the first musicians i ever listened to, at the age of 2 or 3.

claptonfan55
09-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Clapton=God

+1, Clapton IS God!!

thetearsibleed
09-08-2006, 10:24 PM
i will say clapton is GOOD

however he had some real ****ty pop work

i find him enjoyable to listen to but as far as blues guitarists go his phrasing isnt anytihng spectacular

claptonfan55
09-15-2006, 09:12 PM

Why do you say that?

R0CKER1220
10-22-2006, 09:55 PM
Clapton's great, my friends going to see him in concert tomorrow night and I wish I could go; at least I know she'll get a few sound clips on a cell phone :) . I was going to get another Clapton CD a few weeks ago but I didn't know which one to get, most of them were greatest hits. Right now I have his self-titled album on CD, and I'm not sure, but my parents most likely have a few more of his albums stashed away on record. Anyone like to suggest some other albums by Clapton?

Blind In 1 Ear
10-22-2006, 10:28 PM
thought is post this. hope it hasnt been posted yet(didnt read the whole thing). it has a great solo at the end. i love how he builds it up with the band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptg8bl4h074

Calum_Barrow
10-23-2006, 06:05 AM
I've loved Clapton's work for years, and he is one of my favourite Guitarists of all time (second behind Mark Knopfler). As you can imagine, Mark Knopfler and Clapton together on tour produced some great songs. I saw Clapton this year at the MEN in Manchester, and it was one of the best shows I've ever been to.

VR05
10-23-2006, 11:32 AM
Clapton has been, is and will be the best guitar artist ever. This halfman/halfgod can play ANYTHING and with ANYONE and ANYWHERE and EVERYONE will go speechless... his studio work is great and his live perfomances are unbelievable.

Even though I completely agree with you that he is one of the greatest guitarists ever, I disagree with what you said about Clapton being able to play anything with anyone anywhere.. etc. Frank Zappa said in the biography ZAPPA, that he had Clapton over for a jam and Clapton was too picky and wouldn't play with the rest of them because of the gear and sound etc., so i'm not saying Clapton wasn't the greatest, but I think your opinion is a little biased.

Resiliance
10-23-2006, 11:38 AM

1. I don't care for 99% of things Clapton ever made. Rendering your third point false.

2. I doubt he could play downtuned death metal, not to mention hundreds of other music styles I'm not going to bother with putting down here... Rendering your first point false.

3. He can't play with Rusty Cooley or Francesco Fareri (keep your comments to yourself, I don't like them either, big deal)... Rendering your second point false.

I mean, honestly... Is it that hard to just say that you're a huge fan of his? Instead of all this opinion passed off as facts crap? Greatest guitarist? Can play everything? Everyone will go speechless?

Come on, get real.

NDN_44
10-23-2006, 01:29 PM
I agree with everyone else he is one bad man with a guitar

IrishBlues
10-23-2006, 01:44 PM

If your saying what I think your saying then fuck you.

I saw Clapton in October in D.C. and it was one of if not the greatest moment of my life. Clapton got me into the blues and his playing astonishes me to this day.

Encore_God
10-23-2006, 02:11 PM

I'll agree with Resiliance here: that's utter crap. Quite simply, he's not that good, and no-one is. Most of Clapton's studio work from the mid 1970's to the late 90's was utterly abysmal. In fact, even Clapton's last studio effort was pretty weak. He also spent most of the late 70's and early 80's collapsing on stage because of heroin and alcohol addictions. Sure, he's a great guitarist and one of Britain's best, but he's simply not 'God'.

Also: people like you made guitar players like Peter Green walk away from music in the 60's. True. Guitar players aren't Gods, they're just skilled people, same as skilled people in any other profession.

BrainDamage
10-23-2006, 06:46 PM
I was going to get another Clapton CD a few weeks ago but I didn't know which one to get, most of them were greatest hits. Right now I have his self-titled album on CD, and I'm not sure, but my parents most likely have a few more of his albums stashed away on record. Anyone like to suggest some other albums by Clapton? his self titled is very good. It has to be, considering Let it Rain is on it ;)

E.C. Was Here is a great album (I especially love Can't Find My Way Home from it). And I would get Clapton's Rainbow Concert. I mean...Clapton, Steve Winwood, Ron Wood, Jim Capaldi, Pete Townshend...how can you go wrong?

P.B.
10-24-2006, 04:27 PM
I just saw Clapton three weeks ago, robert Cray opened for him. it was a terriffic show. they had Derrick Trucks playing slide guitar. the show was just one big jam.
i've liked him for a long time, and one of the first albums i ever bought was Disralie Gears. Along with that My father ended up meeting him down town St. Paul before the concert, lucky bugger.

Havent bought anything of his since me and Robert

thetearsibleed
10-24-2006, 07:10 PM
his self titled is very good. It has to be, considering Let it Rain is on it ;)

E.C. Was Here is a great album (I especially love Can't Find My Way Home from it). And I would get Clapton's Rainbow Concert. I mean...Clapton, Steve Winwood, Ron Wood, Jim Capaldi, Pete Townshend...how can you go wrong?

cant forget

from the cradle

sloppyjoe24
10-24-2006, 07:13 PM
He's my hero. Look at my avatar.

Carnivean
02-10-2007, 02:47 AM
Anyone know what Clapton's set list for his current tour is? I have to know! I am going to see him in march.

TheHeartbreaker
02-10-2007, 08:20 AM
Do you need to know? It probably wouldn't be as exciting knowing each song that would be coming up.

acoustic87
02-10-2007, 02:37 PM

Actually if you are going to see him in March he will not be there, I'm not even joking, I am going to it also and I read that he will go on tour with the Allman Brothers.
http://www.therockradio.com/2007/01/guitarist-derek-trucks-to-leave-eric.html

BrainDamage
02-10-2007, 02:41 PM
^^just for the Allman's Beacon run in NYC.

pyrochris
02-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Some of my favorite all time tunes feature Eric... Like "Crossroads" (Cream version), "Strange Brew", and "Cocaine". If you take a look at his career you will see that he wasn't big on composing, he let others do the creative work. Perhaps the reason why he was so successful compared to Beck is because of how well he could work with other musicians. His style and feel are amazing - naturally, his style was influenced primarily by Buddy Guy. In my opinion, he was one of the very few great players /singers who have combined blues and rock in a very tastefull manner.

TheHeartbreaker
02-10-2007, 06:57 PM
^^just for the Allman's Beacon run in NYC.

I understand this is the last Beacon run for a couple years because they'll be doing construction on it?

Haven't been to the city for a while, and I'm not one to know these things anyways, so if anyone has any comfirmation as to whether this is true or not, please share.

wilty00
03-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Seein him for the second time tonight... not second row floor this time unfortunately. :sad:

IclaptonisgodI
03-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Clapton=God
yup

gunther_sucks
03-28-2007, 10:17 PM
Ever since i heard the wah intro to bad love, I have been liking Eric more and more.

TDMize15
03-29-2007, 12:47 AM
I am buying my Crossroads Guitar Festival tickets tomorrow morning. Anyone else a member of his fan club? It has some cool perks and gifts.

O and I agree that Clapton is God, and my favorite artist ever...but doesn't he have a strange resemblance to Jesus here?

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/6133/Clapton/images.clapton.6.jpg

And why all the hate on his solo stuff, the album "Eric Clapton", and "Slowhand" as well as "Unplugged", "From the Cradle" and more are incredible albums.

ECistheBest
03-29-2007, 12:58 AM
I'm a big fan of Eric Clapton and Clapton is indeed my favorite guitarist/artist/man
hes just great. with cream, solo, its all good!!!
i love his guitar, love his emotion in playing, love his tone.
in the 60s, ppl graffiti'd "Clapton is God"
now in '07, Clapton is "STILL" God.

psychodelia
03-29-2007, 01:12 AM
but doesn't he have a strange resemblance to Jesus here?

... along with countless other 70s rockers ;)

Sloopy
03-30-2007, 07:15 PM
^ Yeah. Add George Harrison to that list.

TheHeartbreaker
03-31-2007, 08:41 AM
http://www.8notes.com/wiki/images/GeorgeHarrison.jpg

O rly?

:haha

Sloopy
03-31-2007, 01:41 PM
http://www.8notes.com/wiki/images/GeorgeHarrison.jpg

O rly?

:haha

Haha. I find it funny how he wasn't into Christianity a whole lot, yet he liked looking like Jesus.

TheHeartbreaker
03-31-2007, 01:54 PM
Exactly.

I love in Yellow Submarine where he's in the "Eastern room" meditating or whatever, and Ringo is like, "George, what are you doing up there?".

Sloopy
03-31-2007, 01:57 PM
Exactly.

I love in Yellow Submarine where he's in the "Eastern room" meditating or whatever, and Ringo is like, "George, what are you doing up there?".

His office at Apple in the late 60's apparently had just cushions and blankets with a large poster of Vishnu. No other furniture to be had.

TheHeartbreaker
03-31-2007, 02:07 PM
Sweet.

I'm an atheist, but I love the Hindu and Buddhist beliefs of peace.

Sloopy
03-31-2007, 02:08 PM
^ As a practicing Buddhist I commend you.

TheHeartbreaker
03-31-2007, 02:24 PM
Oh, so you really are a Buddhist? Sweet. :cool:

I just don't know where I would attend... temple (if that is right).

kshelt76
03-31-2007, 02:39 PM
I got Clapton's and Cale's Road To Escondito a couple weeks ago. If you haven't heard that album yet, rush out and buy it, it's amazing.

Sloopy
03-31-2007, 02:46 PM
Oh, so you really are a Buddhist? Sweet. :cool:

I just don't know where I would attend... temple (if that is right).

Yeah there's a temple in my city. You just have to look around.
Another way to practice is to meditate and read from the various holy scriptures.

TheHeartbreaker
03-31-2007, 02:51 PM
We have a Buddhist temple about fifteen minutes from my house, which has a large auditorium building on its campus, which is where I saw Indian Ocean with my friend (whose parents are Hindus).

BrainDamage
03-31-2007, 02:54 PM
I got Clapton's and Cale's Road To Escondito a couple weeks ago. If you haven't heard that album yet, rush out and buy it, it's amazing. I have that, but only listened to it once. Very good from what I remember.

Sloopy
03-31-2007, 03:40 PM
We have a Buddhist temple about fifteen minutes from my house, which has a large auditorium building on its campus, which is where I saw Indian Ocean with my friend (whose parents are Hindus).

I reccomend going for a visit. We are very welcoming people. If you feel inspired, your temple should have Saturday morning 9am meditation gathering. Buddhism requires no converting ceremony.

zachmaniac
04-03-2007, 12:24 PM
I think that Clapton probobly know more about the blues guitar more than anyone of his time, dont get me wrong Townshend, Beck, and all those guys are completely amazing but I think Clapton is more in touch with his blues "roots".
Thats just my opinion.

TheHobbes
04-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Woo, seeing him in about 8.5 hours! Can't freaking wait!

R0CKER1220
04-03-2007, 02:36 PM
^Lucky bitch <_< . . .

Blues Breaker
04-03-2007, 11:19 PM
I think that Clapton probobly know more about the blues guitar more than anyone of his time, dont get me wrong Townshend, Beck, and all those guys are completely amazing but I think Clapton is more in touch with his blues "roots".
Thats just my opinion.

Clapton and Peter Green at their peaks, late 60's early 70's, were in a class of their own for guitarists :)

TheHeartbreaker
04-04-2007, 09:37 AM
:cheers: to you, Blues Breaker.

zachmaniac
04-04-2007, 11:58 AM
if you look on youtube, they have a video of clapton in a supergroup with John Lennon, Kieth Richards and mitch mitcell. its pretty freaking awesome, clapton has a good solo and lennons vocals are pretty badAce too.

TheHeartbreaker
04-04-2007, 12:08 PM
The Dirty Mac. :)

That video is amazing.

SGstriker
04-04-2007, 01:46 PM
I really like White Room. Very catchy, great guitar
And I realized that I just blatently changed the topic you were all on.
Im sorry.

TheHeartbreaker
04-04-2007, 02:46 PM
That's okay. :)

Have you listened to any other Cream?

fadingboy
04-04-2007, 07:14 PM
^ I have Disraeli Gears, what do you recommend I get next?

Cptbeefheart
04-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Fresh Cream or Wheels of Fire. The one that you think is more interesting is the one you should buy.

SGstriker
04-04-2007, 07:23 PM
That's okay. :)

Have you listened to any other Cream?

Not much unfortunately.
It something I would like to do though.
Any suggestions?

Cptbeefheart
04-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Disraeli Gears if you are looking for an album, if you want some songs try Crossroads, Tales of Brave Ulysses, and Spoonful.

BlueOyster23
04-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Saw Eric Clapton last night, and holy shit, the man is incredible!

...Of course, I knew that before the concert, but then, when I saw him, he blew my mind.

TheHobbes
04-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Saw Eric Clapton last night, and holy shit, the man is incredible!

...Of course, I knew that before the concert, but then, when I saw him, he blew my mind.
I was at that show in Moline too! It was outstanding, the man has not lost it at all!

Blues Breaker
04-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Dude by anything Cream, you will not be dissapointed at all!!

The Dirty Mac is on the Rolling Stones Rock n Roll Circus, in the extras there is another, different clip of them!! Very good DVD!!! Brians last peformance :(

I watched the John Mayall 70th Birthday concret. Holy crap Eric was just crazy. Have you heard was just crazy!!
John Mayalls other guitarist shitted me a bit though. Mick taylor was awsome too.

PatchworkMan
04-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Clapton introduced me to the blues. I never would have discovered Robert Johnson, Skip James, B.B. King, or Muddy Waters if not for Clapton. One of the things that amazes me most about Clapton is his ability to interpret other peoples' work in a totally different way. He was never a great songwriter (I can only think of 2 or 3 truly great Clapton originals), but he is rock's premier cover artist, able to put a completely new face on an old hit.

BlueOyster23
04-04-2007, 10:03 PM
I was at that show in Moline too! It was outstanding, the man has not lost it at all!

Yeah, and Robert Cray was pretty badass too, though slightly sloppy, but I'm going to check out some of his CDs.

However, I got stuck in the upper bowl, so the view was kind of crappy.

TheHobbes
04-04-2007, 10:38 PM
I really liked Cray's performance. That's too bad that you didn't have better seats. I was in the angled seats right next to the floor. Great seats.

Hot 'Lanta
04-05-2007, 12:08 AM
i saw clapton live 2 months ago...even at 62 hes still amazing... great performer who is very in touch with his playing...he doesnt just play the blues he knows the blues...its emotive...great player...man what a show...

TheHeartbreaker
04-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Not much unfortunately.
It something I would like to do though.
Any suggestions?

Disraeli Gears is their best know album, but I suggest you start with their debut album (and my favorite), Fresh Cream.

Sloopy
04-06-2007, 12:55 PM
^ Yeah I think you should buy in order man. Like Fresh, Disraeli, Farewell

Blues Breaker
04-07-2007, 12:41 AM
I guess you can see how the changed doing it that way!

I like EC with his Gibsons best, what do you guys recon. Gibson :D or fender

TheHeartbreaker
04-07-2007, 09:58 AM
I'm mostly a fan of his Derek & the Dominoes stuff. I never got into him as a soloist* that much, but I like the music a lot.

*guitar soloing, not his solo career: I do like some of his solo material.

That's how I have been as well, but as of late I've started to enjoy his solo career more than I previously had.

ledhed68
04-07-2007, 03:05 PM
I saw Clapton last Tuesday and that was incredible. He did an acoustic version of Outside Women Blues that was really uptempo and it really wasnt anything like it was on the record.

TheHeartbreaker
04-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Did you see The Allman Brothers yet?

instantkarma93
04-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Hey is any one else goin to the Crossroads Fest in Bridgewiew this summer?

TheHeartbreaker
04-07-2007, 03:55 PM
No. :(

Come to think of it, though, I have a friend in Naperville, so he may go (I'm not sure about how far that is from Bridgeview).

warlockking
04-07-2007, 04:04 PM
I don't know "alot" about him, but i agree he is a great guitar player, I especially like Layla and his bluesy stuff like that, but cream is awesome.

BrainDamage
04-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Hey is any one else goin to the Crossroads Fest in Bridgewiew this summer? I'm seriously considering it. It would be a trip, but it's definately accessable.

TDMize15
04-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Hey is any one else goin to the Crossroads Fest in Bridgewiew this summer?
Oh yes. I got the fan club seats two days early. I am so excited for it. I'm most excited about Steve Winwood, Jimmie Vaughan, Buddy Guy, and of course Mr. Eric Clapton.

I want to hear "Dear Mr. Fantasy" so bad. And if Clapton and Winwood play some Blind Faith stuff I will go nuts. I wonder if Clapton's band will back up everyone when they just jam?

BrainDamage
04-09-2007, 05:02 PM
^^WOAH that Blind Faith thought never even crossed my mind. That would be insane.

Simon4392
04-09-2007, 06:28 PM
Does anyone here know of any clapton songs that are similar to the songs on the pilgrim album. Lately I've been listening to it alot, especially circus, one chance and pilgrim, and I feel the need for more songs of the kind

Any help? :)

TDMize15
08-13-2007, 03:55 PM
Who has seen Eric Clapton live? I've heard a lot of mixed reviews from people who have seen him... Most people think he plays and sounds great... but that he doesn't talk to the crowd or w/e... what does everyone think?

Did you like him live?

TheHeartbreaker
08-13-2007, 04:09 PM
A couple of my friends saw him live and said it was fantastic.

TDMize15
08-14-2007, 01:44 AM
Who has seen Eric Clapton live? I've heard a lot of mixed reviews from people who have seen him... Most people think he plays and sounds great... but that he doesn't talk to the crowd or w/e... what does everyone think?

Did you like him live?

I saw him last year in Birmingham and thought he was great. He said little other than "Thank You" to the crowd tho. His stage was cool but nothing too fancy. He's all about the music. So I guess if you are going to see him put on a production or make jokes to the audience, then you will be dissapointed... but he sounded and played great. I personally go to concerts for the music... but maybe not everyone...

RobinTrower12
08-14-2007, 08:52 PM
What do Eric Clapton and coffee have in common?
They both suck without Cream! *drum cue*

But seriously, while I do enjoy his songs in Cream the most, some of his solo career songs are great as well. I mean Layla is just epic and I really like Cocaine as well. But his solo on Crossroads live with Cream is just fantastic! It's one of my favourite guitar solos of all time.

ECistheBest
08-14-2007, 08:54 PM
^his cream reunion DVD is spectacular. i just love mine. also, the Live in LA 2001 concert was great too. and i've heard great things about his concerts now.

TheHeartbreaker
08-14-2007, 10:03 PM
I mean Layla is just epic

If you're talking about the electric version, that was with Derek and the Dominos, which, in my opinion, was Eric's best band.

SpiderFromMars
08-14-2007, 10:06 PM
What do Eric Clapton and coffee have in common?
They both suck without Cream! *drum cue*

But seriously, while I do enjoy his songs in Cream the most, some of his solo career songs are great as well....

Don't forget about his time with the Bluesbreakers. ;) That is, after all, when Clapton became God.

freebird_17
08-14-2007, 10:56 PM
I saw him live a while ago, and he is amazing. In practically every song he broke out into this awesome solo that sent shivers down my spine.

JimmyStradlin33
08-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Anyone else think that the outro to Layla is so ungodly beautiful? It goes up there with few others in terms of beauty, the only other i can think of bettering it is little wing. But was it duane allman who wrote this or clapton or a joint effort?

Gin_Rummy
08-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Anyone else think that the outro to Layla is so ungodly beautiful? It goes up there with few others in terms of beauty, the only other i can think of bettering it is little wing. But was it duane allman who wrote this or clapton or a joint effort?

Allman wrote the famous riff we all know and love, and he also took all the slide solos and what not. And according to wikipedia, the piano part came to be when Clapton heard someone playing it, so he convinced him to use it on the song. I guess Clapton really had nothing much to do with the song musically.

zeppelinpage4
09-09-2007, 07:36 PM
So i'm searching through old shelves cleaning and I find a "Clapton Chronicles" CD. :D

tennisace
09-09-2007, 10:00 PM
dude, clapton is def my favorite guitarist of all time, and musician. join the clapton is god group, support god!

TheHeartbreaker
09-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Anyone else think that the outro to Layla is so ungodly beautiful? It goes up there with few others in terms of beauty, the only other i can think of bettering it is little wing.

I agree that the outro to the song is beautiful; one of my favorite pieces of music ever.

There was a time, though, long before I trully knew how to appreciate music correctly, where I actually didn't enjoy this particular part of the song too much, simply because it lacked the power and energy of the beginning of the song.

Highbinder
10-02-2007, 03:27 PM
I loef Clapton, I've just started learning a couple of his songs: Have You Ever Loved A Woman & Ramblin On My Mind

Havin trouble with some of the speed he hits out with randomly tho :( Anyone recommend me any of his (more bluesy) songs that aren't too tough for me to learn? I have the following albums -

461 Ocean Boulevard
Journeyman
Live On Tour 2001
Riding With The King
The Cream Of
There's One in Every Town
Unplugged
EC Was Here

oh, and are there any stonkin' albums of his I'm missing out on? I always knew of him but just recently started to listen to him enough to appreciate his style!

psychodelia
10-09-2007, 03:21 PM
I had a rather frustrating night, but oh my this cheered me up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCzUMjCykn8

Some parts could be cleaned up, but that's such a funny overdub :)

TDMize15
10-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Slowhand is generally regarded as one of if not his best album...

From the Cradle is an all blues album that I would also recommend...

Try learning "Before You Accuse Me" and "Malted Milk" off of the Unplugged album, or maybe "Outside Woman Blues" from the Cream days...

Highbinder
10-09-2007, 03:56 PM
I had a rather frustrating night, but oh my this cheered me up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCzUMjCykn8

Some parts could be cleaned up, but that's such a funny overdub :)

Scary, more like!

ECistheBest
10-09-2007, 03:59 PM

Try learning "Before You Accuse Me" and "Malted Milk" off of the Unplugged album, or maybe "Outside Woman Blues" from the Cream days...
i like pilgrim, reptile, From the Cradle, and Session for Robert J.

they're nice albums. esp reptile and from the cradle.

BrainDamage
10-09-2007, 05:53 PM

Some parts could be cleaned up, but that's such a funny overdub :) :haha that looks so convincing.

And yeah, I totally heard Let It Rain on the weather channel a few days ago.

Pyaar
10-12-2007, 03:04 AM
Tears in heaven pwnzz

Sly Taco
10-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Derek and the Dominos is in my top 5 of all time.

Shaggy92
10-17-2007, 12:41 PM
Did anyone see him on Larry King ... it was great.

Sly Taco
10-17-2007, 01:52 PM
gotta link????

P.B.
10-24-2007, 12:11 PM
check out cnn.com, theres a little interview about his new autobiography he has coming out.

Bahama_Blues
10-25-2007, 05:12 PM

From the Cradle is an excellent album... "Runnin' On Faith" is my personal favorite off of it.

TDMize15
10-25-2007, 07:02 PM
So what is everyone's favorite Clapton solo? With all his guest work and great stuff on his own, what is your personal favorite?

Carswell98
10-26-2007, 07:34 PM
Classical gas mann, hahaha, I'M JUST KIDDING, DON'T KILL ME

I like the Badge solo the best, it has a lot of emotion in it
or While My Guitar Gently Weeps
I also like It Hurts Me Too off of From the Cradle

guitarjoe93
10-27-2007, 03:06 PM
So what is everyone's favorite Clapton solo? With all his guest work and great stuff on his own, what is your personal favorite?

my fav solo would have to be in cocaine. i love that song.

did anyone read his autobiography? was it any good?

Highbinder
10-27-2007, 04:00 PM

Outside Woman Blues is pretty easy but man! The riff is so catchy.

clapton_fan
10-27-2007, 10:44 PM
Man, Clapton is such an inspiration to me. His music is just so soulful. My favorite guitarist of all time, And I think the best. Master of the blues!!!

CLAPTON IS GOD!

clapton_fan
10-27-2007, 10:46 PM
I'd have to say the crossroads solo is my favorite, the version with cream.

Carswell98
10-27-2007, 11:30 PM
I'd have to say the crossroads solo is my favorite, the version with cream.

I love that one too, the one thing that has really puzzled me was crossroads performances in the 80's though, I own Clapton LIVE at Montreaux, and it's pretty awful when he performs it then

bassplayer552
10-27-2007, 11:55 PM
I think Clapton, when he plays live some of his stuff sounds bad, but hey give him credit.. he did make some kick ass songs! :p:

lotsofsyrup
10-28-2007, 08:43 PM
Clapton's blues soloing is amazing. He's a major inspiration.

hb15577
10-28-2007, 10:20 PM
yeah he puts alot of feeling into his solos and I guess that is what the blues is about , the feeling of it

musicmakesme92
10-29-2007, 07:46 AM
i relly like claptons time peices work and also his work with cream and the yard birds

shyalicia
10-31-2007, 01:07 PM
I love playing Sunshine of Your Love on bass. Never gets old.

mr moustache
10-31-2007, 10:29 PM
one of my favorite eric clapton songs is wonderful tonight.

ledhed68
11-02-2007, 08:14 AM
Has anyone read his new autobiography? I heard that he tells everything in that book.

Cptbeefheart
11-02-2007, 08:37 AM
^I've heard very good things about it...

bodyheatseeker
11-02-2007, 09:37 AM
Has anyone read his new autobiography? I heard that he tells everything in that book.

I saw it in the local bookshop, but it was 15 euro and I can't really afford it right now.

TDMize15
11-02-2007, 11:55 AM

In the process of reading it... and yes it is very frank and honest... good read, he's actually a pretty good writer.

DigitalGuitar
11-02-2007, 04:44 PM
I would say he is the best guitarist, but not my favorite.

That may sound like a contradiction, but it really is not. He is the most versatile guitarist and very high on my list, but not my favorite.

timesharescam
11-05-2007, 01:23 AM
opposite for me, my favorite, but i dont consider him the best

ECistheBest
11-05-2007, 01:44 AM
i'm reading the bio. so DON"T SPOIL IT!!!

so far, he got in kingston school of art and got his first two guitars. :)

btw, my favorite clapton guitar solo is "I Shot the Sheriff" at Crossroads Guitar Festival '04.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=10qLYy6hiFQ

BlackArmor
11-05-2007, 01:22 PM
I like his work, even though I think there are plenty of guitarists that surpass his skill and mastery of guitar.

BrainDamage
11-05-2007, 05:22 PM
So uh, check out the tracklist for the Crossroads 2007 DVD that is to be released later this month...the second disc looks incredible to say the least (Clapton + Winwood, anyone? :liplick: ).

Disc 1
INTRODUCTION Bill Murray
UBERESSO Sonny Landreth
HELL AT HOME Sonny Landreth with Eric Clapton
MAHARINA John McLaughlin
ROSIE Doyle Bramhall II
OUTSIDE WOMAN BLUES Doyle Bramhall II
LITTLE BY LITTLE Susan Tedeschi with The Derek Trucks Band
ANYDAY The Derek Trucks Band
HIGHWAY 61 REVISITED - Johnny Winter with The Derek Trucks Band
NOBODYSOUL Robert Randolph & The Family Band
POOR JOHNNY The Robert Cray Band
DIRTY WORK AT THE CROSSROADS Jimmie Vaughan with The Robert Cray Band
SITTING ON TOP OF THE WORLD - Hubert Sumlin with The Robert Cray Band & Jimmie Vaughan
PAYING THE COST TO BE THE BOSS B.B. King with The Robert Cray Band with Jimmie Vaughan & Hubert Sumlin
ROCK ME BABY - B.B. King with The Robert Cray Band with Jimmie Vaughan & Hubert Sumlin
SWEET THING Vince Gill
COUNTRY BOY Albert Lee with Vince Gill
IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY - Sheryl Crow with Vince Gill & Albert Lee
TULSA TIME - Sheryl Crow with Eric Clapton, Vince Gill & Albert Lee
BLUE EYES CRYING IN THE RAIN - Willie Nelson with Vince Gill & Albert Lee
ON THE ROAD AGAIN - Willie Nelson with Sheryl Crow, Vince Gill & Albert Lee

Disc 2
BELIEF John Mayer
GRAVITY John Mayer
DON T WORRY BABY Los Lobos
MAS Y MAS Los Lobos
CAUSE WE VE ENDED AS LOVERS Jeff Beck
BIG BLOCK Jeff Beck
TELL THE TRUTH Eric Clapton
ISN T IT A PITY Eric Clapton
LITTLE QUEEN OF SPADES Eric Clapton
WHO DO YOU LOVE Robbie Robertson with Eric Clapton
PRESENCE OF THE LORD Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton
CAN T FIND MY WAY HOME Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton
HAD TO CRY TODAY Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton
DEAR MR. FANTASY Steve Winwood
CROSSROADS Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood
MARY HAD A LITTLE LAMB Buddy Guy
DAMN RIGHT I VE GOT THE BLUES Buddy Guy
SWEET HOME CHICAGO Buddy Guy with Eric Clapton, Robert Cray, John Mayer, Hubert Sumlin, Jimmie Vaughan & Johnny Winter

Cptbeefheart
11-05-2007, 05:57 PM
I'd buy that just to hear Robbie Robertson actually playing live again...

hendrixfanatic
11-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Hey guys, just to let you know: I've created a group dedicated to the Yardbirds: Join the ranks of the Yardbirds army!

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/yardbirds/

lpmarshall
11-06-2007, 02:41 AM
which clapton do yall prefer? Clapton in his gibson days or fender?

TDMize15
11-06-2007, 12:36 PM

Well... I'm not biased AT ALL by my absolute love of Fender guitars...

I actually probably like his Cream days the best (Gibson SG (fool) and ES-335 mainly)...
But my favorite guitar tone of Clapton's would be his early 90s stuff... the "Live in Hyde Park" tone, or off of his blues "From the Cradle" tour... He was using Strats and I think that was his best playing as well as his best guitar sound...

So, in review... I think his playing sounded better with Fenders...

But I liked the music he was making with Gibsons...

Carswell98
11-08-2007, 03:42 AM

I like the Gibson days myself, just because I like Cream so damn much

I walked into a local guitar shop the other day and they had cherry red Gibson ES-335 Clapton signature series, it was gorgeous :D .............if I only had 1300$ Can. :(

BrainDamage
11-08-2007, 11:40 AM
So I just found out Clapton will be playing three shows with Steve Winwood at MSG in February.

:)

Brickjp84
11-08-2007, 11:47 AM
^ For real? Wheres the link?! Clatpton AND Steve Windwood.....I HAVE to go!

BrainDamage
11-08-2007, 11:49 AM
http://www.ericclapton.com/press.php

johnny_tapia
11-08-2007, 03:44 PM
http://www.ericclapton.com/press.php

That's pretty cool.

Bahama_Blues
11-09-2007, 05:52 PM
So I just found out Clapton will be playing three shows with Steve Winwood at MSG in February.

I heard that today too.....awesome.

orsada11
11-10-2007, 12:20 PM
pure god :D

Bardock
11-12-2007, 04:14 PM
I would say www.whereseric.com is a quite good site too...

shyalicia
11-13-2007, 03:02 PM
magical

Brickjp84
11-13-2007, 03:47 PM
Crossroads DVD comes out a week from today! The track list looks awesome. Looking forward to see Eric's performance with Derek Trucks and Steven Winwood especially.

ECistheBest
11-13-2007, 03:50 PM
^yes me too!

BrainDamage
11-13-2007, 06:43 PM
That's pretty cool. $254 tickets = not cool :(

johnny_tapia
11-14-2007, 10:44 AM
Crossroads DVD comes out a week from today! The track list looks awesome. Looking forward to see Eric's performance with Derek Trucks and Steven Winwood especially.
Sweet> I'll probably end up getting that :)
$254 tickets = not cool :(
Ah :(

Brickjp84
11-14-2007, 01:02 PM
According to www.whereseric.com, the tickets are priced from $65 to $250. I think the 250 ticketse will get you the best seats in the house. I definately want to go, but not sure which night to try to get tickets for. What do you guys think. I'm thinking either the first show or the last.

TDMize15
11-14-2007, 03:11 PM
According to www.whereseric.com, the tickets are priced from $65 to $250. I think the 250 ticketse will get you the best seats in the house. I definately want to go, but not sure which night to try to get tickets for. What do you guys think. I'm thinking either the first show or the last.

I'd go to the last show if you have the choice... any kinks will be worked out and I'm sure they'll really be giving it their all as it is the last time they might ever play together.

Brickjp84
11-21-2007, 10:41 AM
So his new Crossroads DVD came out yesterday. Anyone pick it up? I'm going to get it today after work. Looks to be amazing, if you ask me. So many amazing guitarists. Buddy Guy performs "Mary Had a Little Lamb" which should be awesome.

johnny_tapia
11-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Buddy Guy performs "Mary Had a Little Lamb" which should be awesome.
That's definitely worth a look then :)

Brickjp84
11-21-2007, 04:04 PM
WOW. I've watched about 6 or 7 songs off the first disc. This DVD is a must have! I havent gotten to Jeff Beck, John Mayer, Buddy Guy OR Steven Winwood!!

The last song is close to 17 minutes long featuring Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, Robert Cray, John Mayer, Hubert Sumlin, Jimmie Vaghaun and Johnny Winter. Now if that isn't an all star cast for ONE song, I dont know what is. Can't wait to watch the rest of this!

mr moustache
11-26-2007, 10:52 PM
somehow my friend got a video of one of his performances of white room. i'm not sure when/where its from, but its fantastic. the rest of the band is all black guys, and the keyboardist sings the chorus. but, the solo, the last 2 minutes or so of the song is just eargasmic... his tone, his playing the way he does it all is simply phenomenal.

and i just read his book, which is quite good. i highly suggest it

ECistheBest
11-26-2007, 11:01 PM
haha i watched the whole DVD of crossroads 07. clapton/winwood was pretty crazy but... jeff beck. his set was incredible.

BrainDamage
11-27-2007, 06:47 PM
^^I watched a good portion of it since I've had it and so far my impressions are:

Bill Murray...:haha
Sonny Landreth was great (I was very surprised with the two songs he did. He's a guy I've heard about but never really heard, but I'm hoping that will change)
John McLaughlin is a talented guitarist, but he's not my type
Doyle Bramhall II was alright, I've seen better
Susan Tedeschi + Trucks was good (Tedeschi is definately a better vocalist then guitarist)
DTB's Anyday was great
Johnny Winter might not look good, but he still sounds very good (Derek Trucks seemed to be a little low in the mix here though)
I wasn't really impressed with Robert Cray
Dirty Work at the Crossroads was alright
I enjoyed Paying the Cost to Be the Boss
Sheryl Crow was good (yeah, that's right :) )
--------
John Mayer's voice gets on my nerves, but I like him as a guitarist
Los Lobos... :cool:
Beck was good, but I wasn't overly impressed like everyone else seems to be
Robbie Robertson was good
Clapton + Winwood...what can I say? I love both of these guys, and to hear them playing the old Blind Faith stuff again (with Winwood on guitar, instead of keys) was awesome. Dear Mr. Fantasy is growing to become one of my favorite songs, and the more I hear Winwood's voice and guitar, the more I like him. I can only hope for a DVD release of the MSG shows.
--------
Got to Get Better- I love this song and I'm glad they included it on the bonus disc

Brickjp84
11-27-2007, 06:55 PM
^ Amen about Steve Winwood. Dear Mr. Fantasy is definitely one of my all time favorite songs. The more I listen to anything Winwood, the more I like the guy and his music.

BrainDamage
11-27-2007, 07:04 PM
^^Yeah, I'm not too enthusiastic about his solo stuff, but I absolutely love everything with Traffic and Blind Faith.

claptonfan55
12-19-2007, 01:21 AM
A couple things to check out nowadays would be his albums Back Home and Me and Mr. Johnson, also his Clapton and Friends Live at Montreux. It's jazz but it features awesome musicians and slowhand himself.
Definitely check out Back Home. It is a very good album, and I like every song on it. My favorite song off of it, though, is his performance of Love Don't Love Nobody. To me, it's his best vocal performance, period. His singing gives new meaning to the word "soul." The guitar solo, while not being the type that everyone associates with him, is perfect for the song. It's elegant, simple, and well-played. I enjoy the CD a lot and would buy it again.

exchef1
12-19-2007, 03:48 PM
Anyone read EC's autobiography? It's not exactly great literature, but I will give you a much clearer picture of where his head was during any given period. On most of his early stuff, say from the bluesbreakers through his first few solo albums, he was so incredibly out of it he had no clue what was really happening. He was just going with the flow. That being said he is one of my all time fav's. Plus you have to tip your hat to a lifetime lush who managed to stay sober even after the tragedy of his son.

paddyACDClewis
12-19-2007, 09:54 PM
Clapton has to be one of the BEST guitarist of all time....just by his album Complete Clapton and yall understand what i mean

Antroid
12-19-2007, 09:57 PM
Anyone read EC's autobiography? It's not exactly great literature, but I will give you a much clearer picture of where his head was during any given period. On most of his early stuff, say from the bluesbreakers through his first few solo albums, he was so incredibly out of it he had no clue what was really happening. He was just going with the flow. That being said he is one of my all time fav's. Plus you have to tip your hat to a lifetime lush who managed to stay sober even after the tragedy of his son.

I'm reading it at the moment, I'm just on Cream so i'm really enjoying it at the moment but it get's a bit confusing because I'm reading George Harrison Biography aswell - It's gonna get weird when Patti Boyd pops up in both books...

johnny_tapia
01-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Crossroads is amazing. I can't get enough of that song :)

daniel741
01-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Clapton Rocks. i recently got the Rainbow Concert and it is amazing. i love listening to that album especially crossroads and little wing

ECwomantoneman
01-05-2008, 03:02 PM

I got it for Xmas (and finished it already :D ) and it was a great read - I thought it was refreshing to see the man's insights on the things in his life as opposed to just seeing the facts all the time. Having said that, I saw a lot of the same insecurities as well :( I may want to sound like EC in my guitar playing, but don't want to have the same seeries of rocky relationships with peole as well :sad: but I'm glad to see he appears to be finally settled with a family and just enjoying life :)

Music Resource
01-05-2008, 07:10 PM
I think Clapton is good at playing the pentatonic. He's good at playing classic blues licks. He's good at writing catchy songs. He has a good voice. He did his best work in Cream and it was the mistake of his career to disband Cream.

BrainDamage
02-26-2008, 06:22 PM
So if you haven't seen the setlist from yesterdays Clapton/Winwood show at MSG, here it is:

01. Had To Cry Today
02. Low Down
03. Forever Man
04. Them Changes
05. Sleeping In The Ground
06. Presence Of The Lord
07. Glad / Well Alright
08. Double Trouble
09. Pearly Queen
10. Tell The Truth
11. No Face
12. After Midnight
13. Split Decision
14. Ramblin On My Mind (EC solo acoustic)
15. Georgia On My Mind (SW solo hammond)
16. Little Wing
17. Voodoo Chile
18. Can't Find My Way Home
19. Dear Mr Fantasy

Encore:
20. Crossroads

:wtf:

I read from someone who went to the show that it was 2 hours and 40 minutes, and Voodoo Chile was in fact the straight up blues version, which originally had Winwood on organ, and not Voodoo Child (Slight Return). This is one show I'm seriously regretting not being able to get to :sad:

EDIT: Hendrix's Them Changes?! :wtf:

Sly Taco
02-26-2008, 06:42 PM
^ Buddy Miles' Them changes off of Band Of Gypsy's????

BrainDamage
02-26-2008, 11:05 PM
^^I forgot he wrote the song until well after I posted, but yeah, that's what I'd assume it is :p:

snow___board
02-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Clapton=God

agreed

Sly Taco
02-28-2008, 06:50 PM
^^I forgot he wrote the song until well after I posted, but yeah, that's what I'd assume it is :p:

R.I.P. Buddy

SacredxSuperman
03-05-2008, 03:34 AM
So tickets are going on sale soon for Clapton tickets at Jones Beach theater this summer. Should I take this chance to finally see Eric Clapton live hmm

johnny_tapia
03-05-2008, 10:42 AM
So tickets are going on sale soon for Clapton tickets at Jones Beach theater this summer. Should I take this chance to finally see Eric Clapton live hmm
Yes.

TDMize15
03-05-2008, 03:19 PM

Yes. He's not a showman. Don't go for the pretty flashing lights and theatrics. But if you want some incredible music and unprecedented guitar work... see him.

littledude65
03-06-2008, 11:16 PM
When I first listened to Clapton, it changed my life. I heard Tears in Heaven, and I couldn't stop listening to it! To this day, I hear that opening riff and I physically can't bring myself to change the song!
Clapton is definitely God

guitar_hero543
03-07-2008, 01:06 AM
same here...i had the luck of literally growing up on classic rock, even though i'm only 16..you know, out on a farm..didnt get high-speed so couldnt download music much..didnt buy cd's cause i'm too cheap, all i listened to was what my dad was listening to and what my brothers listened to (and they were in the same position as me so they listened to classic rock) and then when i was older i kinda drifted away from my "classic rock roots" and kinda drifted into the mainstream trap..but luckily my dad got a satellite radio and plays classic vinyl on trips all the time so i'm back into what i grew up on...clapton still being my favorite guitarist of all time..tears in heaven definetly is my favorite of his, then there's layla and all the others which are awesome if i'm in the mood for some true acoustic blues rock

chaoskiller13
03-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Eric clapton is a legend! he is one of the best guitarists/singers of all time! every person that i have talked to has nothing negative to say about eric clapton.

Chaoskiller13

Ps. Call me Chaos.

joe haines
03-07-2008, 12:01 PM
You are so wrong, There is only one good guitarist

BRIAN MAY

johnny_tapia
03-07-2008, 12:02 PM

BRIAN MAY
Seriously?

psychodelia
03-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Seriously?

There can only be one...

*Brian May cuts Clapton's head off with guitar*

Skirvy
03-07-2008, 04:04 PM

You.Are.Kidding.

Skirvy
03-07-2008, 04:06 PM

BRIAN MAY
Actually my good sir, I think you will find there are many GREAT guitarists, but i wouldn't consider Brian May one of them.

orsada11
03-07-2008, 04:13 PM
cream rocks
derek and domonos = not so good

Skirvy
03-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Listen to the Beano album.