slapping bass players

PDA

View Full Version : slapping bass players

green_machine
07-03-2006, 10:34 AM
i can't slap or pop but i am a pretty good bass player, is slapping&popping important to playing bass, should i learn how? :confused:

Calvero
07-03-2006, 10:38 AM
slapping doesnt make you a good or bad player. But knowing how to slap definitely makes you better. Try to learn it.

dropin_biking
07-03-2006, 10:40 AM
Learning how to pop and slap can really expand the styles of music you are able to play. It's something good to learn, but isn't a must.

Applehead
07-03-2006, 10:41 AM
The more tools you have at your disposal, the better player you will be. Imagine, you're working with your fave artist, recording their soon-to-be number 1 album, when the producer says "Hey Green Machine, i want that part slapped, it would just MAKE the record".

Doh.

Learn all the techniques you can.

MastaBassist10
07-03-2006, 10:43 AM
I'm not killer at it, but neither of my basses are set up for it either. I just prefer not to, its not integral to my style.

UtBDan
07-03-2006, 10:58 AM
It helps to learn as much as you can regardless of whether your genre of music uses it or not. Learning more about anything helps your bass playing.

Incubus_SCIENCE
07-03-2006, 12:05 PM
You can learn things about fingerstyle or picking from slap that you never would have used before or thought would benefit yourself. For instance, I didn't think muting was a big deal when playing fingerstyle. After I learned how to play slap, I started using mutes more often to make my bass playing more percussive.

GeddyFleaHan
07-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Desiding whether or not to use slapping and popping, or any other technique, is simple just ask yourself do I like the way this sounds? do I like this kind of music? is this fun for me? with slapping and popping another question exists do I really want to do this or am I just learning it so I can show it off? because it seems that often people learn advanced styles just so thay can impress people. If you don't have true passion for slap bass don't waste your time. If do have passion for it, learn it.

LetTheBassPlay
07-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Its a great thing to learn, but not necessary to play bass. the only thing is that it really doesnt help you expand your style of playing. if you were playing in a rock, punk, emo, etc. band, then you really dont need to learn slap. But if you like funk, reggae, etc., its always good to learn a little bit of pop and slap to add a little more to the music. its all personal opinion.

Applehead
07-03-2006, 04:01 PM
Reggae and Slap? What drugs you on dude?

Yertle
07-03-2006, 05:12 PM
^ Probably marijuana if he's a reggae fan.

I find it can be a useful technique to throw in primarily fingerstyle songs as well - a pop here, a slap there, just for a little extra punch and emphasis.

Applehead
07-03-2006, 06:23 PM
A great example of it is Love Foolosophy by Jamiroquai. The whole thinig is played fingerstyle but in the chorus he whacks a couple of pops in and it sounds great. Have a listen. Zender the genius....

IndieMetalhead
07-03-2006, 08:49 PM
learn it anyway. you never know when you'll need it, or be told 'hey, see what its like slapped'. like tapping. even if you rarely use it, it can come in handy sometimes

reeltimegetgo91
07-04-2006, 11:28 AM
if u want some good bassists to check out slapping just for the sound and feel of it check out victor wooten the slap god and billy sheenan. other than that i cant slap very good but same i play a good bass i can slap alright and if u want go to bassmasta.net
and check out misc they have help for beginner slapping

pandathe3
07-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Its a gd technique to learn, im only 15 and been playin bass about a year and a half and i can slap. Its really cool, i did it at a school gig, pafterwards even the teachers were asking me bout it. I always find it levels u up to a guitarist a bit more, instead of everyone pilling round him for advice from the 'killer' solo he did, people come round and talk to me bout it.

I learnt it by listening and watching alot of Chilis and rage vids checkin how they got the sound, i kinda just caught on with it.

Seems im still at school, im the only one that can do, which is cool :D

PS: The ladies love it.

BASStRon
07-04-2006, 03:38 PM
go on warwickbasss.com and go into the lessons theyve got some good stuff there

Incubus_SCIENCE
07-04-2006, 03:41 PM
go on warwickbasss.com and go into the lessons theyve got some good stuff there
I don't think that was the question he was asking. :rolleyes:

Applehead
07-04-2006, 04:10 PM
PS: The ladies love it.

heh heh, i agree with that one. My girlfriend always says "do that slappy thingy"

gunsnspaghetti
07-04-2006, 04:16 PM
From the title, i thought you means slap bass players as in hit them... I feel a bit stupid now

fleabass
07-05-2006, 05:06 AM
as we are on the topic, i have a bit of a problem with my yamaha p style bass (one p pickup and one j pickup) when i slap the E it makes a slap sound, but also a horrible thud, this doesn't happen on any other strings. Now I've been listening to some early recordings of flea, and it seems his slapping sound wasn't the cleanest either. Should i be worried about this?

IndieMetalhead
07-05-2006, 09:48 AM
^it might be touching the pickup. fret the 21/22/23rd fret (whichevers highest) on the E, and if it touches the pole piece then the pickup needs lowering :)