Scorpions

PDA

View Full Version : Scorpions

twentyextysixx
07-04-2006, 09:41 AM
got a Scorpions best of at a sale the other day, basically only bought it for "Rock You Like a Hurricane", and if you were like me, it was probably the only song you knew by them also...

But, i highly ****en recommend to check Scorpions out, they've got some great tracks, really sounds the quintessence of 80s hard rock.

Thoughts?

##_Guitar-newb
07-04-2006, 09:48 AM
what else would you reccomend?

demiphoenix
07-04-2006, 10:01 AM
Wind of Change, The Zoo, The sails of charon, still loving you, in trance, and alien nation are my favorites (also rock you like a hurricane)

invisible_man
07-04-2006, 10:02 AM
Fly to the Rainbow is another great Scorpion's song.

Resiliance
07-04-2006, 10:04 AM
I love Scorpions, though I do like Michael Schenker Group more :)

jugulator
07-04-2006, 10:09 AM
i must say that i picked up a scorpions album cause it was in a 3 for the price of 2 rack, but they are a pretty decent band alright but i think they could have been better had Michael Schenker not gone to UFO

*Flying_Blind*2
07-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Ya they're pretty good, Rock you like a hurricane got me started, but No one like you, wind of change, blackout, big city nights and others made them one of my faves.

twentyextysixx
07-04-2006, 11:04 AM
Michael Schenker was the brains behind Scorpions right? Should i check out the Michael Schenker Group?

They've (Scorpions) got some great ballads/athemic type songs:

Lovedrive
No One Like You
I'm Leaving You

CRFE
07-04-2006, 01:01 PM
If it wasnt for the scorpions i would have never gotten into 80's metal and classic rock. Matthias Jabs, the lead guitarist with the gibson explorer, is so awesome. He always has great solos. My favorite song is Still Loving You. Wind of Change is also very inspirational i guess you could say, and it makes you think alot about whats been changing in the world over the past 20 years. But overall they are my favorite band and i highly recommend them. Also they are really too much into the whole hair metal and glam metal theme. They have some of those looks but arent hardcore into it i guess you would say. The lead singer Klause kinda wears leather like a Judas Priest look sometimes.

CRFE
07-04-2006, 01:03 PM
Also i think Rudolf Schenker was a good fit for the scorpions. He just likes to go up on stage and have fun while playing just like all the scorps.

Neon Knight
07-04-2006, 01:23 PM
They may be coming down to Trinidad, and since I have connections to the fella bringing them down, I may just get to meet them.

Resiliance
07-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Michael Schenker was the brains behind Scorpions right? Should i check out the Michael Schenker Group?

They've (Scorpions) got some great ballads/athemic type songs:

Lovedrive
No One Like You
I'm Leaving You

Well, I'm not that up on the history of the Scorpions so I'm not about to make such a bold claim, but he was the one behind most of the "hit" songs they had...

And a great guitarist that Paul Gilbert modeled his vibrato after, along with his uncle Jimi :p:

Yes, you should check them out.

Here's a ballad they've done (mind you, MSG has quite a lot of albums and each one is pretty different): When I'm Gone (http://resi.saug-meinen-schwanz.net/MP3/Michael%20Schenker%20Group%20-%20When%20I'm%20Gone.mp3)

Neon Knight
07-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Well, I'm not that up on the history of the Scorpions so I'm not about to make such a bold claim, but he was the one behind most of the "hit" songs they had...

And a great guitarist that Paul Gilbert modeled his vibrato after, along with his uncle Jimi :p:

Yes, you should check them out.

Here's a ballad they've done (mind you, MSG has quite a lot of albums and each one is pretty different): When I'm Gone (http://resi.saug-meinen-schwanz.net/MP3/Michael%20Schenker%20Group%20-%20When%20I'm%20Gone.mp3)

actually I'm pretty sure that it was Michaels brother Rudolf who was the mastermind, Michael left very early to join UFO, but not before introducing the band to his replacement, Uli Jon Roth who later left and was replaced by Matthias Jabs.

Resiliance
07-04-2006, 01:45 PM
actually I'm pretty sure that it was Michaels brother Rudolf who was the mastermind, Michael left very early to join UFO, but not before introducing the band to his replacement, Uli Jon Roth who later left and was replaced by Matthias Jabs.

Yeah, like I said, I don't know much about the history of the Scorpions.

Doesn't take away I'm a huge Michael Schenker fan though :p:

Axegrinder#9
07-04-2006, 01:55 PM
on that note.. anybody heard any stuff by Uli Jon Roth, it seems he's very overlooked when talking about pioneers of the neoclassical school

Resiliance
07-04-2006, 01:59 PM
Yes, I love him as well :p:

I'm not that big a fan of his tone, but his albums Metamorphosis Of Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Transcendental Sky Guitar, Hiroshima de Profundis and his stuff with Electric Sun are pretty sweet.

redaxe
07-04-2006, 02:51 PM

Wow dude I know I had a go at you in the EG forum but :cheers:... Great musicians...

Resiliance
07-04-2006, 02:54 PM
What'd you have a go at me about?

I honestly don't remember, I'm used to it :p:

wilty00
07-04-2006, 04:47 PM
Under the Same Sun is one of my favorite songs of all time.. never really listened to a whole album of theirs.

justlikealex
07-05-2006, 01:29 PM
on that note.. anybody heard any stuff by Uli Jon Roth, it seems he's very overlooked when talking about pioneers of the neoclassical school
I couldn't agree more, he was shredding when Yngwie was in diapers.

garden of grey
07-05-2006, 04:23 PM
michael schnecker is cool, but i like still loving you by sonata arctica better than the scorpions version IMO

bangoodcharlote
07-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Mike Schenker is sick.

He wasn't the mastermind behind the Scorpions. His brother Rudolph was. The Scorpions' lead guitarist was Matthias Jabs. Jabs is quite good, but Schenker is a superior lead player.

C.C. Deville
07-13-2006, 04:47 PM
i like that one song i tihnk its called no one like you i like the guitar intro thingy and solo

C.C. Deville
07-13-2006, 04:48 PM
wasnt their guitarists brother in ufo?? i forget his name... the bands german right?

TheUltimateSin
07-13-2006, 05:32 PM
But, i highly ****en recommend to check Scorpions out, they've got some great tracks, really sounds the quintessence of80s hard rock.

The band started in 1964, with their first album(Lonesome Crow) being released in 1972(yes, nearly 10 years later) :(

In fact, the first album that was released in the 80's was Animal Magnetism(1980), which was their 8th album. Prior to that, they had:

Lonesome Crow (1972)
Fly to the Rainbow (1974)
In Trance (1976)
Virgin Killer (1977)
Taken by Force (1978)
Tokyo Tapes (1979)
Lovedrive (1979)

But, they do rock :headbang:

I love me some "Alien Nation"

Resiliance
07-13-2006, 05:39 PM
It SOUNDS the quintessence of 80's rock.

Not it IS the quintessence of 80's rock.

Damn you kids these days... Sigh.

TheUltimateSin
07-13-2006, 05:47 PM
I know. I was just pointing out those little pearls of wisdom that I cited to help educate the public :)

I'd hate to see someone jump in and harrass the guy for saying that Scorpions was 80's rock, having not even actually read the few words before that line. This way, the information is out there.

laughing-chick
07-20-2006, 12:40 AM
My favs by Scorpions:

Still Loving You
Big City Nights
No One Like You
No Pain, No Gain
Make it Real
Dynamite
Coming Home
Believe in Love

I noticed people mentioned UFO. Has anyone heard that kick-ass song of theirs,
"Doctor, Doctor"? If not, you should.... some of the greatest riffs ever.

Resiliance
07-20-2006, 07:40 AM
Mother Mary > Doctor Doctor :p:

laughing-chick
07-20-2006, 11:28 PM
oh, shut up.... :)

madmk
07-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Scorpions are great, Michael Shencker is an amazing guitarist/musician. Check out the band UFO, they have some amazing songs, I prefer them over Scorpions.

wil
07-22-2006, 07:19 PM
Sails of Charon?

I went to University in Uli's current place of residence and i missed a gig with Uli, Yngwie and AlDi Meola---crap!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Neon Knight
07-22-2006, 08:09 PM
Sails of Charon?

I went to University in Uli's current place of residence and i missed a gig with Uli, Yngwie and AlDi Meola---crap!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

wow.....I would have killed myself if i missed that.

anyway on a less morbid note, its been confirmed, the scorpions are playing down here along with Vixen and L.A Guns and 16 local bands and 3 special guests. There is a possibility that I can meet the band.

all of this for less than $50.00 USD

laughing-chick
07-22-2006, 08:23 PM
less than $50.00??? that's like the price of a freakin' season of any show on DVD.