Connecting to a PA system????

PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to a PA system????

pandathe3
07-04-2006, 01:55 PM
We (my band), are goin to purchase a PA system, a cheap 4-channel, 150watt thing of ebay. Im just thinking of the best way to link me to it? Well i know how to, but just thinking what would be best and/or any new ideas about it. I have obviously thought of using a mic, but with the bass tone, wont it be better to run it through the mixer output in my last effects pedal?

sashki
07-04-2006, 02:02 PM
A bass doesn't sound too bad through the PA, but the problem is the speaker: it's likely to break up cos of the low frequencies. When I play bass through the (****ed up) PA's at school, a lot of their speakers produce farting noises at louder-than-human-speech volumes. And that's not good.

However, not all PA's are like this. Probably less likely if it's new.

IndieMetalhead
07-04-2006, 02:05 PM
if your amp has a line out or a DI out, you can connect it up to that.

Incubus_SCIENCE
07-04-2006, 02:06 PM
^Thats exactly true. Me and Stu were just talking about this.
i forgot to add, gigging i always go into the house PA, using an amp onstage or not. i find it alot easier using an amp and the DI out, as i can tweak my sound onstage and not have to piss around with the sound guy (i would prefer them to leave the EQ on my channel neutral/flat)
^I find that you loose some of the boomyness of your amp when you plug into the PA. If I had to, I would always have it miked about a foot from my amp, so that I could still produce that "pushing air" kind of sound. My amp does have a DI, but you can't keep the sound of your cabinet using a DI.
^nowhere i've played has ever mic'd a bass amp though. strange that. i guess its how they're used to doing it. i don't argue with them, i just insist they mic the drums properly (some sound guys at Banned Night (local gig thing) only use a bass mic, a snare mic and 2 overheads =| )
If you EVER get the chance, tell your drummer he only needs 2 mics, take one of them, and place it inbetween your tweeter and speaker. You will get such a great sound.

So, basically, bass will sound MUCH better if it is miked through PA. If your amp has a direct out, use that. Or, if you happen to have something such as a Sansamp, use that. But, you will always lose the boominess of your amp plugging straight into the board.

EDIT: done. :p:

IndieMetalhead
07-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Call me Stu, please

:p:

pandathe3
07-04-2006, 02:13 PM
I dnt have a line out or DI, but i have a 'slave socket', which i was told it was for adding cabs too my combo. Will this work??

Incubus_SCIENCE
07-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Your amp needs a direct out... this can come in any form... a tuner output, an effects send, a headphone jack, etc.

If there is a jack to add another cab, dont try it. You don't want your amplifier supplying volume/power to the mixer. Although I'm not entirely sure about this.

IndieMetalhead
07-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Your amp needs a direct out... this can come in any form... a tuner output, an effects send, a headphone jack, etc.

If there is a jack to add another cab, dont try it. You don't want your amplifier supplying volume/power to the mixer. Although I'm not entirely sure about this.

you're right. it'll fry the cables and possibly the mixer. its not designed for being used as a line out.

metalstillsucks
07-04-2006, 02:23 PM
You could use the slave to connect to the PA speakers themselves, provided theat they are the same impedence.

That wouldnt get you all the volume youd want, however.

pandathe3
07-04-2006, 02:34 PM
O, i get ya, blowing the newly brought PA would not be gd lol. i will just try everything really, and see wat happens. you see, my amp is old, big and powerful. Its a CSR (sumert like that), phantom 50. I cant remember the main make as its at my school cos its heavy bringing it back and forth. So it dont have a line out.

83lespaulstudio
07-04-2006, 03:10 PM
some amps have an out for a tuner, this will work. a headphone out will work, but not a speaker out!!! if you don't have an acceptable out, you'll have to mic it.
a Sure SM57 mic will work fine. i go direct to the P.A. all the time, and the sound quality is good. if you go direct into the mixer you'll need a direct box if you are more than 10 or 15 feet away from the board. many effects boxes have an extra output
jack, this will work too. good luck! :cool:

Applehead
07-04-2006, 04:12 PM
the tuner out is not balanced, so if you have an XLR out, use that..

pandathe3
07-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Kk, well i'm goin to buy some cheap behringer stuff with the school. (The effects pedals are bout 11, lol). There is a Behringer BDI21 V-TONE, (Bass Amp Modeler/Direct Recording Preamp/DI Box). Its only 22, and i need some amp modeling kit anyway. Would this work????

Embryodead
07-05-2006, 02:01 PM
skip all of that behringer stuff and get the Sansamp Tech 21

pandathe3
07-05-2006, 02:16 PM
skip all of that behringer stuff and get the Sansamp Tech 21

Yeah, looks cool, very cool. Just looking at that Bass Driver DI, what sort of price range is it??

FbSa
07-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Buy a $5 DB box and plug into that, it has a line out that goes to the PA, and one that runs back to your amp.

pandathe3
07-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Yeah, i was thinkin bout tht, but i thought i may aswell get a amp modder for a few quid more. (my amp is gettin on a bit and i cant get any decent tone out of it)