You know that one song by Vai right?

PDA

View Full Version : You know that one song by Vai right?

Chaise Boogie
07-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Yeah, the one called Feathers. Not one of his most popular songs, but my favorite.

Well I want to learn to play it but it seems that is there is insufficient tab information floating online. I think I have enough to play part of the beginning of the song, but that's it.

But that's not much of a big deal, does anyone know how to get the tone of this song? And I know he uses a wah pedal, but anyone know what his technique is?

This song is a bit difficult to learn. But I will do it. And if this isn't a good forum for this topic, then move it. I don't give a ****.

Scorzerci
07-05-2006, 02:37 PM
This song is a bit difficult to learn. But I will do it. And if this isn't a good forum for this topic, then move it. I don't give a ****.
oh you're such a rebel!
For a tab you should probably ask in tab talk and for the tone you should ask in that one huge ultimate tone thread in the guitar gear & accesories forum.

SynGates7X
07-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Does anyone know the name of his song where it starts off with the teacher talking to Steve as like a 7 year old and hes performing for a bunch of kids?

slashlover
07-05-2006, 02:42 PM
It's "The audience is listening", SyGates7X It's too good to be true! lol

Chaise Boogie
07-05-2006, 02:45 PM
oh you're such a rebel!
For a tab you should probably ask in tab talk and for the tone you should ask in that one huge ultimate tone thread in the guitar gear & accesories forum.

Well I was searching for that thread never could find it. So I ran to here. BUt you all know enough about The Vai you should be able to help me.

SynGates7X
07-05-2006, 02:46 PM
too good to be true as in you find my name ridiculous?

apocalypse13
07-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Well I was searching for that thread never could find it. So I ran to here. BUt you all know enough about The Vai you should be able to help me.
That's why you make a topic.

In the right forum. ;)

SnowballofDoom
07-05-2006, 03:31 PM
But that's not much of a big deal, does anyone know how to get the tone of this song? And I know he uses a wah pedal, but anyone know what his technique is?

Actually, I don't think it is a wah pedal... it's some effect he built with a Zoom or Korg processor, I can't remember which... but I believe he used the same effect on 'Glorious' from Real Illusions.

I know that's no real help, but I'm fairly certain re-creating that tone is going to be just about impossible.

paddyo
07-05-2006, 04:02 PM
The H3000 or something like that is what your thinking of Snow(I think:p: ). He aslo used it for Yai Yai...

EDIT: Supposedly they cost in the region of 3 thousand dollars...

Scorzerci
07-05-2006, 05:19 PM
Eventide h3000 I think is the one you guys are talking about.

SnowballofDoom
07-05-2006, 05:24 PM
Maybe so... I'm pretty sure it was a different effect from anything on the Eventide.

But you guys may be right, I'm not very knowledgeable about Vai's effects and such.

Chaise Boogie
07-05-2006, 05:47 PM
Yeah, after playing with my wah pedal, I couldn't get anything close to what he had.

I give up one that song. Oh well.

Resiliance
07-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Just because you can't get it doesn't mean you shouldn't play it. Make your own version of it.

SnowballofDoom
07-05-2006, 06:51 PM
Yeah, that effect sounds lame in my opinion anyway.

public property
07-06-2006, 12:38 PM
it's good in short doses, but its so overprocessed that it makes everything sound the same.

Resiliance
07-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Yes pp... Kinda like a well known powermetalband, isn't it? :p:

paddyo
07-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Whats the effect on Midway Creatures? I love the song in general,but that monster distortion electronic shambles at the start is unlike any I've heard. it rules IMO.

G3Vai
07-07-2006, 03:50 AM
Feathers is probably my fav vai song. I can't find the tab anywhere either (worked it out by ear- good for ear training and is just the best way to understand a song). I don't think it's a wah pedal, it may be a phaser.