easy shredding songs?

PDA

View Full Version : easy shredding songs?

xsynysterx06
07-05-2006, 06:40 PM
kind of an oxymoron...but what are some of the slower shredding songs...like just starting out..i know that i could just slow the tempo down and whatnot, but i would like to play it at full speed sometime soon, just to start out.

any suggestions?

farcry
07-05-2006, 06:44 PM
try some early metallica ala kill em 'all, it's not full on shred but still fast guitar playing. Van Halen, Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen or Dream Theater are all very hard so wait to try them.

Tom Martin
07-05-2006, 06:45 PM
Joe Satriani - Surfing With The Alien
John 5 - Flat Lines, Thinlines

They're two that I started on.

yawn
07-05-2006, 06:45 PM
If it's that easy, it's most likely not shred - just a slower song by a shred guitarist.

xsynysterx06
07-05-2006, 06:47 PM
okay ive been playing about a year and i can do chromatic scales at around... oh say 250 BPM, playing 8th notes.
i can tap okay, only one finger on the right hand though.
i dont have a whammy bar, but ive been looking into some guitar with an FR.
so do you think im ready for these yet?

Leonheart
07-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Easy shredding songs? Is that an oxymoron?

xsynysterx06
07-05-2006, 06:50 PM
i said it was in the first sentance i wrote.

xsynysterx06
07-05-2006, 06:52 PM
and what songs on the kill em all album would be good for me?

Jackolas
07-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Any, they arent exactly "easy", and IMHO, shred-tastic.

Although thats just me. I don't like elitist shredders really, they are awesome songs and solos.

xsynysterx06
07-05-2006, 06:56 PM
well from what i metioned about my speed and guitar..will i be able to play them after a while?

EDIT: sometime soon***

Metalology
07-05-2006, 06:57 PM
Steve Vai - The Attitude Song

That'll get you started. Some cools riffs, nice fills and a neat solo.

xsynysterx06
07-05-2006, 06:58 PM
no vai for me...i dont have a trem haha

Scorzerci
07-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Use the search button! there are 9876574543789886576 threads about this!

apocalypse13
07-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Metallica and Pantera's your best bet.

garden of grey
07-05-2006, 09:57 PM
"xsynysterx06"
maybe some city of evil a7x? not shred, but a little fast and some people like it

splice
07-06-2006, 12:39 AM
joe satriani-surfing with the alien
joe satriani-always with me always with you
joe satriani-crushing day

nothin like some satch for a shred noob

SethMegadefan
07-06-2006, 12:42 AM
Joe Satriani - Surfing With The Alien
John 5 - Flat Lines, Thinlines

They're two that I started on.
[gulp]
Crap, if Surfing With the Alien's a beginner's shred song, then I feel like an absolute dink! Maybe I've just never practiced it enough, but I tried that out a couple months ago and just couldn't get the hang of it. Though I'm not really much of a shred guy so that could also be my problem.
You guys think any Ozzy w/Rhoads stuff would be easy enough for a relatively beginner? The guy's a genius, but do you think someone like the threadstarter would be able to handle something like "Revelation (Mother Earth)" or "Diary of a Madman"? No, those aren't "shred" songs in the traditional sense, but neither is Metallica, so it's just a suggestion.

psychodelia
07-06-2006, 12:43 AM
joe satriani-surfing with the alien
joe satriani-always with me always with you
joe satriani-crushing day

nothin like some satch for a shred noob

Of course, you mean nothing like some EASY satch ;)

I personally started with some Becker, taking the more straightforward parts and getting them down slow. It obviously wouldn't get up to speed right away, but getting the technique down at a slower tempo could still help. Something like a slower Grilled Peeps, perhaps?

EDIT: *whacks forehead* why didn't I think of Randy Rhoads?

apocalypse13
07-06-2006, 12:45 AM
[gulp]
Crap, if Surfing With the Alien's a beginner's shred song, then I feel like an absolute dink! Maybe I've just never practiced it enough, but I tried that out a couple months ago and just couldn't get the hang of it. Though I'm not really much of a shred guy so that could also be my problem.
You guys think any Ozzy w/Rhoads stuff would be easy enough for a relatively beginner? The guy's a genius, but do you think someone like the threadstarter would be able to handle something like "Revelation (Mother Earth)" or "Diary of a Madman"? No, those aren't "shred" songs in the traditional sense, but neither is Metallica, so it's just a suggestion.
Of course

SethMegadefan
07-06-2006, 12:46 AM
Megadeth's "Holy Wars" just popped into my head. Revelation! Would that be a good tune to try?
In fact, most of the Rust in Peace album is lots-o-shred. It's really complex, but a lot of it is relatively easy in the shred department. Most of the stuff from that album would actually be good practice; I know my guitar teacher lent me the tab book for that after about a year's worth of playing, and it was challenging without being impossible.
What do you guys think? Yay or nay?

splice
07-06-2006, 12:48 AM
Of course, you mean nothing like some EASY satch ;)

I personally started with some Becker, taking the more straightforward parts and getting them down slow. It obviously wouldn't get up to speed right away, but getting the technique down at a slower tempo could still help. Something like a slower Grilled Peeps, perhaps?

EDIT: *whacks forehead* why didn't I think of Randy Rhoads?

mescuzzi man thats what i meantand yeah randy rhoads would be a brilliant place to start

my teacher made me learn to play the blues before he allowed me to learn shred and that helped me alot.....my first full shred song i learned was "far beyond the sun"

SethMegadefan
07-06-2006, 12:52 AM
my teacher made me learn to play the blues before he allowed me to learn shred and that helped me alot.....my first full shred song i learned was "far beyond the sun"
I think that the blues scale is hands down one of the most important scales to know. I freaking love the blues scale... definitely an essential one.
Your guitar teacher reminds me of mine. :cheers:

xsynysterx06
07-06-2006, 10:54 AM
ok guys thanks a bunch...i fell asleep early last night so i couldnt try anything out..im gonna warm up then try these..
if any of has any other suggestions its cool.

aMeRiCaNsTrAt21
07-11-2006, 01:54 AM
Wait I thought he asked for SHRED songs, most of these are harder metallica, and thats not shred. Well in my head its not.

I would try some Yngwie, thats what really got me started. Try Blitzkrieg

Its fast but not THAT hard, and it gets ur alternate picking a lot better. Yngwie uses Harmonic Minor in almost EVERY song. So if you want to play like him, try to lean as many harmonic minor shapes as you can. Also he likes to just rip through scales alot, so practice that very useful for shredding.

splice
07-11-2006, 02:43 AM
Wait I thought he asked for SHRED songs, most of these are harder metallica, and thats not shred. Well in my head its not.

I would try some Yngwie, thats what really got me started. Try Blitzkrieg

Its fast but not THAT hard, and it gets ur alternate picking a lot better. Yngwie uses Harmonic Minor in almost EVERY song. So if you want to play like him, try to lean as many harmonic minor shapes as you can. Also he likes to just rip through scales alot, so practice that very useful for shredding.

metallica is a good starting place is what we meant

aMeRiCaNsTrAt21
07-11-2006, 03:20 AM
^^ For shred?

EDIT: How hard did u think far beyond the sun was to learn? Im thinkin about learning myself after I finish the Viking.

Resiliance
07-11-2006, 07:17 AM
I don't think FBTS is very hard.

girlyplaya
07-11-2006, 01:40 PM
So would Satch Boogie be considered easy shred to learn? I was thinking about taking this one on, but I haven't been playing long and I didn't want to be overwhelmed.

Resiliance
07-11-2006, 02:24 PM
I'd say so.

Dreadnought
07-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Serrana is pretty easy

HammerForce
07-11-2006, 07:25 PM
^ :haha
As for FBTS I learned most of it (other than the solo) n about 3 hours so 'd say it's probably one of Yngwies easier ones. For the threadstarter I'd recommend some Randy Rhoades, in other words 'LEARN MR CROWLEY'. As for Megadeth and Rust in Peace, as far as Friedman goes that stuffs easy but compared to a lot of the other stuff that been mentioned I would say its quite tricky....

Shreddin 4 Life
07-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Hmmm...
There's really is no such thing as "easy shred": it is an oxymoron...
However, try these approaches to learning some shred:

1. Take a song, slow the tempo down, and pick up the pace as u get to know the licks better.

2. Learn the stuff a tempo & don't be afraid to mess up the notes. The better u get to know it and get used to the soloing, the cleaner & more natural it will become.

3. Learn shorter songs and then longer ones. For instance, start off with short instrumentals like "Frenzy" by Racer X or "Eruption" by Van Halen. Then learn longer songs that are in between 3 and 5 minutes long. The less u have to memorize, the easier it is...

4. Learn songs that are written & performed at slower tempos. It's obviously easier to play 16th notes (or any notes) at slower tempos... Instead of learning songs that have a tempo of 150+bpm, learn some tunes that are anywhere between 70-95 bpm.

5. Most importantly, find something that catches ur ear and that u think u can personally handle. Playing or learning a song that u know u can play simply because u can handle it, and not because u personally enjoy it as music is just gonna end up being a waste of time and u'll just end up getting bored...

Hope u find any of this helpful. :peace:

splice
07-11-2006, 08:17 PM
easy shred is not an oxymoron people

Yespleasevicar
07-12-2006, 04:43 AM
Go for Down to mexico by Paul Gilbert, its shredish but stays around 16th at 140 bpm-ish, if not learn any shred song rele slowly and be patient

axe_grinder247
07-13-2006, 05:51 PM
okay ive been playing about a year and i can do chromatic scales at around... oh say 250 BPM, playing 8th notes.
i can tap okay, only one finger on the right hand though.
i dont have a whammy bar, but ive been looking into some guitar with an FR.
so do you think im ready for these yet?

16th note chromatics at 125 is good, but chances are unless you're playing an A7X solo there won't be much of that...most shred solos and songs involve string skipping and complex patterns, so i wouldn't necessarily use chromatics as a basis for speed...

back on topic, i would suggest "The Crush of Love" by Joe Satriani - although it may not be entirely "shred" there are many songs by Satch that are great for phrasing and overall emotion in your playing, and this can be substantially harder than shred...if you want serious speed, go for Far Beyond the Sun, which is easier than it sounds once you slow everything down and play it piece by piece

splice
07-14-2006, 11:40 AM
yeah the only problem i had with FBTS was the sweeping in it...bc i suck at sweeps but the rest was relatively easy