can sweat hurt my guitar?

PDA

View Full Version : can sweat hurt my guitar?

Cycon
07-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Hello guys, I sweat alot while playing, especially while jamming. Not just sweaty hands, I mean I'm really sweating, and sometimes it drops on my guitar. It doesn't affect my playing, I'm used to it now, but can it hurt my guitar? The electronics for example?

Thanks in advance :peace:

permanentmarker
07-06-2006, 11:14 AM
i dont fink so, might dull the finish
apparently angus young sweats so much on stage that his pickups get waterlogged

Cringles
07-06-2006, 11:14 AM
it should only make the screws rust and the strings last less longer...unless its dropping of you like a water fall..it shouldnt get into the eletronics

pacoasterrider
07-06-2006, 11:16 AM
i doubt it'll hurt the electronics, probibally just rust out the screws and strings easier, but you can replace them easily.

Resiliance
07-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Might cause erosion on your bridge, pickup polepieces, and ofcourse strings to break sooner/rust, but it shouldn't get into your electronics.

I do advise a towel though... You don't want your bridge to rust. Especially not your bridge saddles to erode.

Cycon
ah good. I wondered about it, because some sweat dropped into / ontop of my flying Ibanez bridge, and I thought it could hurt it :)

AthenasGhost
I wouldn't think it would, just move your bodily parts away from the pickups? :D

Ostin
07-06-2006, 11:20 AM
i dont fink so, might dull the finish
apparently angus young sweats so much on stage that his pickups get waterlogged
i never knew that.... thank you for informing me. :)

and i dont think sweating should be a problem... i think it might wear off your finish eventually, and maybe wear down your strings..... not sure though.

marmite
07-06-2006, 11:26 AM
eh... summertime, i always get sweat all over my guitar, its best to clean it off anyway otherwise all the salts in your sweat form a gungy layer on the finish if you leave it long enough

AlpineHigh
07-06-2006, 11:27 AM
dude, i sweat like a pig when i'm playing too... i have a white LP and it has definately dulled the finish (looks kind of pink haha) and my strings don't last as long. but w/e it won't hurt anything unless you strap a funnel onto your guitar directly into your pickups lol that's kinda gross

Cycon
07-06-2006, 11:31 AM
what happens if some sweat drops on my pickups, I won't recognize it, will it hurt the pickup?

steveclark1212
07-06-2006, 11:35 AM
this thread is ****ed man its so weird lmaoo

the guitarist
07-06-2006, 11:35 AM
im pretty sure it will dull the finish

Ace Frehley
07-06-2006, 11:43 AM
You know about the sweat on the strings thing,there are strings that rust really really hard.they're called "GHS" ors something like that it's 3 letters!Anyway I sweat only on my hands and when it's freaky warm here in greece i sweat a lot!Maybe it's because you're nervous try play with passion and feel free to jam ;)

Cycon
07-06-2006, 11:47 AM
You know about the sweat on the strings thing,there are strings that rust really really hard.they're called "GHS" ors something like that it's 3 letters!Anyway I sweat only on my hands and when it's freaky warm here in greece i sweat a lot!Maybe it's because you're nervous try play with passion and feel free to jam ;)

About the nervous thing... I have a social-dissorder so it's hard for me not to get nervous while playing infront of other people :)

But thank you all for your tips, I'll take a towel with me in the future ;)

JDioon
07-09-2010, 01:58 PM
It's 32 degrees Celsius over here and just got back from a one hour intense jamsession. Sweat was dripping of my face, down my nose and onto my guitar like madness. Now my guitar doesn't make any sound anymore. gotta let it dry, hopefully i didn't short anything

ikey_
07-09-2010, 03:02 PM
yeah well what are you going to do about it? get mad at god?

angus young replaced his SG because the neck warped from all the sweat he poured into it. but i doubt you play like angus young. and he plays practically naked.....and hes like 60.....and hes running around like a chicken with his head cut off during shows.