Oak as a body wood?

PDA

View Full Version : Oak as a body wood?

WannabeShredder
07-07-2006, 11:47 PM
I've been planning a custom guitar for a couple weeks and was just wondering how good oak would be for a body... I don't really have good access to wood and wanted to build a starter project.
My main reason is just to find out whether it sounds good or not so i don't invest a bunch of money into something that sounds terrible.

If it matters, i plan on using maple for the neck.

metalmilitia74
07-07-2006, 11:50 PM
ive never thought about oak but a buddy of mine once used pine and it sounded pretty good. pines not a tone wood at all, but i happen to think tone wood is a bunch of bs anyway. wood is wood. all you can do is try it and if you dont like it then its a lesson learned.

dave293
07-08-2006, 12:09 AM
Oak can be used for a body, it's quite heavy so you may want to chamber it. Brian may's red special is oak.

tongue untied
07-08-2006, 12:24 AM
i happen to think tone wood is a bunch of bs anyway. wood is wood.

dude- wtf are you on? how can you deny the fact that everywood has a tone, and its completly unique to that piece and type of wood??

o ya- i forgot, your the rocket science guy as well...lol

and slipaway used oak for a project of his- idk if it ever got done- i was banned for a while

but it might be worth while to pm him and ask

metalmilitia74
07-08-2006, 12:31 AM
any wood can be kiln dried and become theoretically hard wood, which is what "tone wood" is. and rocket science?? i said guitar building ISNT rocket science cuz its not. its basic common sense, simple math knowledge, SOME mechanical abilities, but most important, creativity. but anyway back to topic. what is a good wood is up to opinion. everyone is partial to a certain type. theres no set rules on what you can and cannot use to build a guitar. so, imo, loosen up your wranglers cuz they got a death grip on your balls and its starting to show in your attitude.

dave293
07-08-2006, 12:52 AM
any wood can be kiln dried and become theoretically hard wood,

You realise thats not how drying wood works. It's not heated so it becomes hard like a peice of toast. It just removes some of the moisture from then wood, hardness isn't effected.

While you can build a guitar out of tons of different woods, there are still boundries to what can be used.

Tongue- I think it was hypermonkey who was building the oak guitar

metalmilitia74
07-08-2006, 12:59 AM
You realise thats not how drying wood works. It's not heated so it becomes hard like a peice of toast. It just removes some of the moisture from then wood, hardness isn't effected.

While you can build a guitar out of tons of different woods, there are still boundries to what can be used.

first point, when you dry out a piece of wood using a kiln it does become harder. your right that hard wood isnt made by being kiln dried, its harvested being more dense then others.

and second point...that was the whole thing i was trying to say. no one can say exactly what someone can use because its just an opinion of the sound it dont make a rats ass. he could use f*cking mesquite and aside from smelling good if it ever burned there probably wouldnt be a difference.

chunkybrotha
07-08-2006, 01:12 AM
oak may be great, but if it itsnt used in guitar making, that could be of some reasons, like it sounds like crap, or it is expensive. or a tree hugger said its bad. (i dont know)

just keep that in mind

metalmilitia74
07-08-2006, 01:20 AM
its because oak is outrageously heavy thats about it

dave293
07-08-2006, 01:21 AM
first point, when you dry out a piece of wood using a kiln it does become harder. your right that hard wood isnt made by being kiln dried, its harvested being more dense then others.

and second point...that was the whole thing i was trying to say. no one can say exactly what someone can use because its just an opinion of the sound it dont make a rats ass. he could use f*cking mesquite and aside from smelling good if it ever burned there probably wouldnt be a difference.

All kiln drying does is lower the moisture content of the wood.
Whether a wood is a hardwood or softwood is not the density but the type of tree they come from a angiosperm tree or conifer tree.

True a solid body can be made out of almost anything but whether it will sound "good" is another thing. You can say "tone is subjective" but a noones going to like a guitar made with wood with the tap tone of cardboard. Alot of the woods used for guitars are used for a reason, because they work and sound good.

metalmilitia74
07-08-2006, 01:24 AM
NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO people make guitars out of certain types of wood because thats all they used when they started making them and no one tried variations. everyone sticks with the tried and true method of alder mahogony or swamp ash. and hard wood does refer to the density of the wood not what it comes from. true conifer trees usually produce a wood thats a little less dense but its basic science. a "hard" wood is More dense.

and just to point this out you said sprem...lol

dave293
07-08-2006, 01:32 AM
NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO people make guitars out of certain types of wood because thats all they used when they started making them and no one tried variations. everyone sticks with the tried and true method of alder mahogony or swamp ash. and hard wood does refer to the density of the wood not what it comes from. true conifer trees usually produce a wood thats a little less dense but its basic science. a "hard" wood is More dense.

and just to point this out you said sprem...lol

The are tons of different woods that have been used succesfully to make guitars out of, People are no way confined to alder, mahogany and ash. There are tons of alternate woods that can be used to build guitars, but you cant use just anything.

Balsa wood is a "hardwood" The hardness has nothing to do with it.

Wanabeeshedder- You can used oak for a guitar, it will be fine. You may need to chamber it as oak is a heavy wood. Quite a few guitars have been made of oak.

tongue untied
07-08-2006, 01:33 AM
^ no- alot of people have tried alot of different wood variations

and the tried n tru ones are what the stick with- because they give a desireable tone

and was it hypermonkey?? idk- i can hardly remeber

eddiehimself
07-08-2006, 05:34 AM
oak may be great, but if it itsnt used in guitar making, that could be of some reasons, like it sounds like crap, or it is expensive. or a tree hugger said its bad. (i dont know)

how is that possible, if we used oak, it would stop people from cutting down mahogony in brazil and therefore save the world. I think that's better than having a slightly better tone but hey musicians are picky people.

You can say "tone is subjective" but a noones going to like a guitar made with wood with the tap tone of cardboard.

you do realise some people want to get AIDS because they think it's cool. So you can't really say that.

besides you can get oak guitars:

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=bass&start=1&itemNumber=b595&menuItem=5&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0

(well that's a bass body but you get the idea)

CorduroyEW
07-08-2006, 07:12 AM
Oak can be used as a tonewood and is somewhat commen for acoustic guitars but when compaired to other tonewoods it's hard to work with. It's also a bit heavy and dence for electric guitars so if you use it, it won't sound "normal". That may or may not be a good thing. If you want to be sure that you will like the way your guitar sounds it's best to stick to things that are a bit more traditional. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, then I would look for poplar, walnut, and cherry on ebay, they will sound more familiar and they will be easier to work with. Dried furnature graid wood is much cheaper than instrument graid wood and altho it won't look as striking, the furnature graid woods will sound just as good and often times better than instrument wood.

Oh yeah... and ignor metalmilitia74 because he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Schecter-06
07-08-2006, 09:28 AM
I built a guitar out of pine once...then i broke it....

That was all a one week build and it sucked ass, as i thought it would..

Cord is rite when he says MM doesnt know what he is tallking about,

As already stated each wood has its own specific tone to it, some are hardwoods like Mahogony and some are soft woods like pine i believe....

Oak willl work as a fine wood for a guitar, one of the greats uses oak...Brian May..

metalmilitia74
07-08-2006, 12:26 PM
im ignorant, ooohhhh. ok i never said oak was bad to use. i basically said in a lot more words that you wannabe builders over think things too much. if he wants to use oak then let him. dont tell him to use something else because you think its better. maybe he dont. i mean hell some one had to say i wonder how acrylic would sound, then they did it, and now alot of people use acrylic guitars. theyre not the best but people make alot of money off them. who knows this guy could make this guitar out of oak and in 15 years you will all be saying oak is the greatest wood for guitars. how does anyone know until they tried it? and cord have you built electrics out of every type of wood? i dont think so. noone on here has so no one cxan really say whats the best type of wood. your basically just saying what your favorite wood is. thats all. theres really no point arguing this because until someomne tries it noone will ever really know wether or not its good. right?

CorduroyEW
07-08-2006, 01:32 PM
^the threadstarter asked for opinions and that is what we gave him. I suggested that he make something that will sound more traditional that oak because he asked.

BTW my favorite woods are cocobolo, african blackwood, and goncalo Alvis. I wasn't suggesting my favorite woods. I was suggesting things that are cheap, easy to work with, and give a "traditional" sound.

metalmilitia74
07-08-2006, 01:37 PM
yeah but someone doesnt ask about something specific unless they have already got some of it. from the way he asked about oak i assumed he already had some or could get it easier. and im not trying to bad mouth you, unlike you do to me, saying i dont know what im talking about but whatever. but he only asked about the specifics of wood. he didnt ask if we thought he should do something tradtional. all builders have to go un-traditional every now and then. thats why the world of guitars has come as far as it has. everyone has to agree with that. because if it wasnt for change and new designs. we wouldnt even have electric guitars. we wouldnt be able to sit here and argue this very point.

CorduroyEW
07-08-2006, 02:00 PM
^either you don't understand how guitars work, or you are deliberately giving bad advise. It's not that I want to badmouth you It's just that most (not all) of what you have said has been wrong and can be proven wrong with a dictionary and with a little knowledge about the products and materials. I could have spent an hr or so pointing out where you were wrong but there were other people that were already doing that so I didn?t need to. The problem was that you kept arguing with them. Rather than go through and point out where you were right and where you were wrong it seemed much easier to tell the thread starter to ignore you. The points you were right on were mentioned by other people anyway.

If you have ever seen my acoustics then you should understand that I know how important it is to think outside the box. My acoustics are in no way "normal" and they don't sound traditional. Not everybody likes my acoustics and that's ok. The thing is, before I started building them they way I do now I was building martin style guitars because everybody has to learn somewhere and it's a lot easier to learn how to do something if you try and emulate something that already exists. It helps you understand what you are doing so that you don't just do random things and hope it sounds good. Instead you can make educated decisions and have a good idea what the final outcome will be.

metalmilitia74
07-08-2006, 02:11 PM
well then educate me cord. how many guitars have you built? how many famous people buy your guitars? i dont care that you think im ignorant or whatever you think. i personally dont care. but imo your no Les Paul. your not the Fender dude. you really are in no position to be telling me how not to do something. your by no means cutting edge with what you build. yeah they are pretty neat to look at and im sure they sound nice. but the whole point of this arguement is telling this kid to do something that isnt reallly being done. your trying to tell him to do it your way. im trying to tell him to do something thats unique, that could revolutionize the way guitars are made. you do things that like ive said are tried and true. but wheres the fun in that. he was basically asking if we thought it would work making something different not an arguement about what has already been done. i know what has already been done and dont need you to sit there and tell me i dont. trust me i know the history of guitars. but if you were a TRUE luthier like you say you are you would even agree with me that sometimes you need to do something COMPLETELY different. thats all im trying to tell this kid to do. dont argue with me and tell me im ignorant for that.

chunkybrotha
07-08-2006, 02:14 PM
^little side note, i dont think the threadstarter could revolutionize the guitar world with an oak guitar because, it would have been done by now. don't you think?

WannabeShredder
07-08-2006, 02:17 PM
Thank you for the opinions guys. Metalmilitia, I haven't gotten any wood yet which is why I asked... I don't want to waste money on something that won't sound good.

I'll go ahead and make the body out of oak...and if it sounds good, I'll make another one that's a bit more vamped up. This would be a first time build for me.

metalmilitia74
07-08-2006, 02:17 PM
not really cause people can be very stubborn...*like me*

people only tend to go with a certain type of wood that they know works. they dont like to try new things.

metalmilitia74
07-08-2006, 02:20 PM
man just let it all hang out. who cares what we say. try something new. if it dont work then its a lesson learned. but you could build this and it sound way more amazing then anything you ever played before. or you could make it tried and true and get the same old boring tones that have been for decades. do what you think is right.

you me and disney channel. imagenire that.

Schecter-06
07-08-2006, 02:21 PM
yes, side notes,

Metal- Cord has never called himself a luthier, ppl call him that, he is an amazing builder and has loads of talent! Im pretty sure he's built at least over 15 guitars and in one of his builds his favorite musician bought his guitar..also how many have you built, have you even???

CorduroyEW
07-08-2006, 02:21 PM
well then educate me cord. how many guitars have you built? how many famous people buy your guitars?

More than I can count

metalmilitia74
07-08-2006, 02:26 PM
wow thats a good number for someone whos full of sh*t. and actually ive built about 20 or so. some of which were complete f*ck ups, but most of them actually worked and worked out well. i dont still own all of them, some of my friends own a couple of them. but god damn just drop it already. im not getting into a pissing match to find out whos the better builder or whos built more. the threadstarter already made his mind up so lets just drop it until another one of these threads pop up, so until tomorrow.;-P

mangablade
07-08-2006, 02:28 PM
not really cause people can be very stubborn...*like me*

people only tend to go with a certain type of wood that they know works. they dont like to try new things.

FFS YOU ASSWIPE! Cord's doin his best to help the threadstarter and you start this BS Philosophy of how THIS GUY WHO"S NEVER BUILT A GUITAR BEFORE MIGHT JUST REVOLUTIONIZE THE WORLD WITH AN OAK GUITAR (which has been done many times before).

You know why Cord's saying try the "traditional" way first? Because THATS how we learn!

We dont learn from making mistakes over and over. We learn from people's mistakes, and SEE WHAT THEY HAVE DONE WRONG AND RIGHT. Thats the reason we all put pickups in electric guitars. Because they work! Until you've built 3+ guitars from scratch and know the anatomy of guitars inside out by heart, You're gonna have a helluva hard time doing ANYTHING "revolutionary".

And stop disrespecting Cord, he goes for what you stand for! Being unique and true to himself! but you know how he got there? by STARTING WITH THE NORM, THEN MOVING ON. thats how EVERY luthier started.

Leo Fender: before he invented the electric bass (or atleast improved it GREATLY) and made the telecaster, he started with making simple electric guitars, doing the norm at first, and learning from his and others mistakes, AND their good doings.

Schecter-06
07-08-2006, 02:29 PM
so youve built about 20 or so? proove (sp) it....i want pics, and ima run em thru one pof my programs to see if the image has been edited at any point in time, so post pics...CHEERS!

mangablade
07-08-2006, 02:30 PM
man just let it all hang out. who cares what we say. try something new. if it dont work then its a lesson learned.

and precious money that most "UG Teens" dont have. thats why they come here asking for SENSIBLE advice.

im not getting into a pissing match to find out whos the better builder or whos built more.

umm, thats EXACTLY what you did.

sempri_fi
07-08-2006, 02:41 PM
well then educate me cord. how many guitars have you built? how many famous people buy your guitars? i dont care that you think im ignorant or whatever you think. i personally dont care. but imo your no Les Paul. your not the Fender dude. you really are in no position to be telling me how not to do something. your by no means cutting edge with what you build. yeah they are pretty neat to look at and im sure they sound nice. but the whole point of this arguement is telling this kid to do something that isnt reallly being done. your trying to tell him to do it your way. im trying to tell him to do something thats unique, that could revolutionize the way guitars are made. you do things that like ive said are tried and true. but wheres the fun in that. he was basically asking if we thought it would work making something different not an arguement about what has already been done. i know what has already been done and dont need you to sit there and tell me i dont. trust me i know the history of guitars. but if you were a TRUE luthier like you say you are you would even agree with me that sometimes you need to do something COMPLETELY different. thats all im trying to tell this kid to do. dont argue with me and tell me im ignorant for that.

would someone please, please shut this guy up, he gets proven wrong over and over and he still wont shut up, its pretty safe to say that metalmilitia74's posts should be disregarded as lies. listen to people like greenbox and CorduroyEW, they know their stuff.

metalmilitia74
07-08-2006, 02:42 PM
from what ive seen most of these ug teens have more money then i do.

and no it wasnt a pissing match it was an arguement he started a pissing match, i pissed what i could and then flushed the toilet that simple. dont try and read more into it than it was. itll only hurt your brain.

WannabeShredder
07-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Yeah... most of my money is dependant on how much my parents choose to give me. :rant:

And no, my aim is not to revolutionize anything... I'm only 15.. i don't want to do that just yet. lol

I just want to build something that is mine, just for ****s and giggles and to be able to say "i built that"/ And if I like it... I'll build another improving on what I didn't like. I don't enjoy jumping right in.. I like to start slowly.

mangablade
07-08-2006, 02:45 PM
from what ive seen most of these ug teens have more money then i do.

and no it wasnt a pissing match it was an arguement he started a pissing match, i pissed what i could and then flushed the toilet that simple. dont try and read more into it than it was. itll only hurt your brain.

DUDE, you yourself said "besides, how many guitars have you made and how many famous people buy them?"

YOU said that. he NEVER said anything related to the topic of you or him and luthiership until you stated that comment.

FFS, Show me the POS guitars you make and prove me wrong, cause 90% of the BS you put on UG is only:

A) wasting money of UG'ers
B) wasting their time
C) Instilling wrong info in them.

metalmilitia74
07-08-2006, 02:46 PM
well then listen to cord. thats what hes about slowly doing something and never upgrading. im nat saying you should go balls to the walls and blow a grand on this build, but imo, better to have something different then everyone elses then the exact same thing as the guy down the street.

metalmilitia74
07-08-2006, 02:48 PM
i didnt say sh*t about out building the other guy schecter said it. i only followed up. so learn to read you jack ass.

mangablade
07-08-2006, 02:51 PM
well then educate me cord. how many guitars have you built? how many famous people buy your guitars?

11:11 am.

yes, side notes,

Metal- Cord has never called himself a luthier, ppl call him that, he is an amazing builder and has loads of talent! Im pretty sure he's built at least over 15 guitars and in one of his builds his favorite musician bought his guitar..also how many have you built, have you even???

11:21 am.

YOU learn to read, you piece of ****. Dont go out giving bad advice for the **** of it

chunkybrotha
07-08-2006, 02:53 PM
uber pwnt.

metalmilitia74
ok you got me on that one. my bad, my bad. but oh well im threw arguing with self-proclaimed world renowned luthiers who spend all day "playing" on the net.

eddiehimself
Everyone just shut the **** up.

Wannabie shredder- build your guitar out of oak if you want to. Don't listen to these people.

Schecter-06
07-08-2006, 02:55 PM
i didnt say you can outbuild anyone, your misreading my post as i said

so youve built about 20 or so? proove (sp) it....i want pics, and ima run em thru one pof my programs to see if the image has been edited at any point in time, so post pics...CHEERS!

so yea, also do everyone a favor please, stop posting here and delete your account becuase there are two threads on the front page of the GB&C forum that have you arguing with us because we have proved you wrong...

PS: cant wait to see ur 20 guitars that youve masterfully created REVOLUTIONARY guitars, better than any luthier in the world cuz they are new and better and REVOLUTIONARY!

mangablade
07-08-2006, 02:57 PM
ok you got me on that one. my bad, my bad. but oh well im threw arguing with self-proclaimed world renowned luthiers who spend all day "playing" on the net.

FFS! why do you keep making these false arguments? WHAT self proclaimed luthiers? and PLAYING the dam guitar wasnt mentioned by ANYONE in this thread. (unless you did and i overlooked)

sempri_fi
07-08-2006, 02:58 PM
well then listen to cord. thats what hes about slowly doing something and never upgrading. im nat saying you should go balls to the walls and blow a grand on this build, but imo, better to have something different then everyone elses then the exact same thing as the guy down the street.

so if you are such a guitar knowlage god why arent you on the who to listen to list?? CorduroyEW is on there, so that settles it anyone can see that corduroyew knows his **** and metalmilitia74 has self-esteem problems and cant be wrong.

Schecter-06
07-08-2006, 03:07 PM
god nnnnnnnnnooooooooooooo. i thrive on this build. *crying* LOL

well if you gotta wait for a month or so i guess i can hold out that long. as long as the finished product looks kick ass.

this was said by metalmilitia74 in Indielees summer V build

not to keep this argument going or anything, just thought others here would find this interesting, he strives on a fist timers build, and i dont think a non teenager would say *CRYING* LOL

t heff
07-08-2006, 04:39 PM
mm defently took over this thread in a pissing match, and cord never once said he was a luthier, he never proclaimed him self to be anything actualy, other people proclaimed him. and if we really want to help our dearest thread started maybe instead of opinions we should provide him with info such as the tone of the wood, easy of working with, that kind of thing. basicly stop fighting over the net, because it means nothing in real life

Schecter-06
07-08-2006, 05:04 PM
ord never once said he was a luthier, he never proclaimed him self to be anything actualy, other people proclaimed him

i already stated this and weve already solved the threadstarters problem

KKTHNX

t heff
07-08-2006, 05:31 PM
ord never once said he was a luthier, he never proclaimed him self to be anything actualy, other people proclaimed him

i already stated this and weve already solved the threadstarters problem

KKTHNX
i know, but sometimes we need to resay things because some people have thick skulls

Roughage
07-08-2006, 06:15 PM
i know, but sometimes we need to resay things because some people have thick skulls

I second that

mangablade
07-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Oh, and umm.

just to PROVE that he hasnt built 20 guitars:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385410

a thread, made after Slashnmashes ibanez mod, copying the artwork, and metal says its his first customizing job.

unless you can make 20 guitars in 2 weeks, i really dont think so bud :)

*COUGH* you're also the guy who asked about "ebonizing a fretboard", but ill spare you from linking that thread :) *COUGH*

meningitis
07-10-2006, 07:48 PM
20 guitars eh?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=380749

:rolleyes:

SolidxSnake
07-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Oh, and umm.

just to PROVE that he hasnt built 20 guitars:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385410

a thread, made after Slashnmashes ibanez mod, copying the artwork, and metal says its his first customizing job.

unless you can make 20 guitars in 2 weeks, i really dont think so bud :)

*COUGH* you're also the guy who asked about "ebonizing a fretboard", but ill spare you from linking that thread :) *COUGH*

LMFAO i remember that thread. We all know you can spray ebony over your fretboard to make it ebony :rolleyes:

i think you guys scared him off the intarw3b :D

OP: make sure to post tons of pics, make a build log of your guitar ;)

edit: after re-reading that thread, he doesn't even know how to wire a guitar FFS... and i'm SURE that's easier than designing, carving and routing a guitar...

TwoString
07-19-2006, 02:44 PM
For the threadstarter...

The best advice I can give would be to find a luthier near you and ask him if he has a few examples made with different woods. It will be even better if he has unfinished examples. All you need to do is thump the piece and listen to it...whatever piece hits a note in you, that's the one you build out of. You can also "listen" to the wood by scratching it with your fingernail. All you can do is listen to it man, don't worry about what everyone else uses, or what's tried and true (unless you want to give it a try and see how it turns out...if it's your first build, I say build a practice guitar just to learn). Also, go to a lumber yard and scope out the wood there...see what kind of pieces they have. As far as your oak piece, not bad at all...carve it, route it, bolt some stuff on to it and wail on your masterpiece.

If Bob Benedetto can build out of construction pine and other "trash" woods...why can't everyone else?

runbacker30
08-30-2007, 12:49 PM
This thread's probably dead now, but about 2 years ago, I built one out of oak. I had a thread on here, but I can't find it. Personally, I think the tone is great. The wood isn't heavy, either. I must've carved enough out of it for the wiring that it got lighter. It actually weighs less than my Yamaha made out of basswood. But I say go for the oak if you want a natural finish. If you're going to paint it, don't use oak because that would be a waste of money. Here's a pic of the body before I finished. The grain looks nice. http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/runbacker30/DSCF0021.jpg

Confused4930
08-30-2007, 01:04 PM
man just let it all hang out. who cares what we say. try something new. if it dont work then its a lesson learned.

1. Not everyone has the money to build as many test projects as they want. I sure as hell can't afford it.

2. I think it's the most useless thing in the world when someone asks for opinions, and someone comes in and says "It's all subjective". That's the ****ing point of asking for an opinion.

Runbacker: That is a sexy guitar body. Got any pics of the final product?