I wish all the shredders would join a band instead of going solo!

PDA

View Full Version : I wish all the shredders would join a band instead of going solo!

clay123
07-11-2006, 10:50 PM
I wish all those virtuosos like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Yngwie, Rusty, Michael Angelo, ect. would join a band!

I mean just becasue they are so good doesn't mean they are too good to be a in a band with average players.

When I listen to their CDs, I find some of the songs pretty good but most of them boring, and that kind of rock you hear for TV Shows, Sports, ect...
It doesn't seem like their albums are made for listening pleasure, more for like, oh look how good I am.

But wouldn't it be nice if they joined a band, because with their skills it would make it sound awesome, and the solos would be sweet...

Witch-king
07-11-2006, 10:52 PM
I did like it when Steve Vai was in Whitesnake. But I dunno, I really like a lot of their solo stuff.

splice
07-11-2006, 10:57 PM
this is the shed forum dude...if you dont like shred then get out

clay123
07-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Excuse me? When did I say I didn't like shred?

Don't be mad just because I made a thread that was slighty negative.

splice
07-11-2006, 11:01 PM
I wish all those virtuosos like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Yngwie, Rusty, Michael Angelo, ect. would join a band!

I mean just becasue they are so good doesn't mean they are too good to be a in a band with average players.

When I listen to their CDs, I find some of the songs pretty good but most of them boring, and that kind of rock you hear for TV Shows, Sports, ect...
It doesn't seem like their albums are made for listening pleasure, more for like, oh look how good I am.
But wouldn't it be nice if they joined a band, because with their skills it would make it sound awesome, and the solos would be sweet...

doesnt sound like you much of a shred fan to me

clay123
07-11-2006, 11:04 PM
doesnt sound like you much of a shred fan to meI'm not a HUGE fan but you do realize this is also an 80's Rock thread don't you?

And I do love Jason Becker's works and this is the only board for it.

Axegrinder#9
07-11-2006, 11:16 PM
I would partly agree with clay on this. Now I don't think there is any need for either Vai or Satch or be in a "rock band" 'cos they have been doing their own thing for a good long time now, and they've written some of the most sublime songs I've ever heard... Yngwie is... well at times I feel he could atleast allow some creative control to his other members instead of being a dictatorial composer... in the past it has worked very well for him, but of late his sound has started becoming a lil' stale, now I'm probably a bigger fan of Yngwie than I am of anybody else, but I feel he could do with experimenting writing with the band as a whole as opposed to doing everything himself.

but yea some of the super shredders like Michael Angelo and Rusty Cooley, I guess they could do with forming a band with other musicians not necessarily at par with them on technique with different musical ideas and backgrounds, it'd probably restrict their styles and force them to think differently and apply their techniques in a different musical direction, which might bring forth amazing results.

I say this by a personal precedent - now I don't consider myself to be a big shredder, but I can play a fair few nifty licks - but whenever I am alone with the guitar, I always seem to fall within the trappings of technicalities as opposed to letting the music do the talking. However recently, when I am playing with my band, who are not as technically accomplished as me, but from varying musical backgrounds, and coming with their own ideas and concepts, I have to start thinking differently and at times am forced to tone it down - and this leads to exploring other ways of me contributing to the sound of the band and at the same time trying out something quirky so as to feed my ego ;) and that's a lotta fun, and a learning process at the same time...

The UG Squirrel
07-11-2006, 11:24 PM
Rusty Cooley is in a power/prog metal band called Outworld. They were supposed to release an album in February but I'm not sure they have.

Freepower
07-12-2006, 07:12 AM
^ what i've heard of that album is awesome, im looking forward to it.

Basically, some people want to make instrumental guitar music. Fair enough to them. I really doubt anyone good enough to get an album deal nowadays is really that bothered about showing off on record - thats what vids are for!

I would love to be playing in a band i felt in synch with, but i can't find any, really. Perhaps some they have that problem.

But everyone you've mentioned except Satch was actually in a band! Vai's live band - while supporting Vai as the main player - certainly get more than a cursory glance in the live act. Rusty plays rhythm guitar most of the time in his band - like he should - and he does so admirably. MAB was perfect for Nitro, and so on.

Basically, they've all had bands and some now still have em.

I do think its better for most guitarists to be working in a band situation, but some may feel their calling is instrumental shred, and good luck to em, i say.

Resiliance
07-12-2006, 07:18 AM
I don't get what you're complaining about. Write them a letter if you so desperately want to, but they're making their music the way they want to and that's exactly what they should do.

And uh, FP, Satch was in Deep Purple for a short while, so yes, he was in a band ;)

im_hungry
07-12-2006, 08:39 AM
Some malmsteen songs have singing if thats whatcha' mean

Emenius Sleepus
07-12-2006, 08:43 AM
I would have to say Satch and Vai don't need to join a band. What they do may not be everyone's cup of tea but they can write good music. To me, what they do now works quite well.

flamencogod
07-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Joe Satriani deep purple
Steve Vai whitesnake
Yngwie alcatrazz
Rusty outworld
Michael Angelo nitro

why do you complain?

seljer
07-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Joe Satriani also did something the Rolling Stones too
and Steve Vai was with Frank Zappa and David Lee Roth too before the Whitensake stuff

redaxe
07-12-2006, 10:37 AM
Vai replaced Malmsteen in Alcatrazz and learned their entire set in a night and played an amazing show the next day. But really it's an ego thing. Take Ygnwie, Yngwie Malmsteen is essentially a power metal band called "Yngwie Malmsteen". It's not like its Malmsteen playing everything. Same for Satch and Vai but not in the same egoistic sense. Dunno if I'm making sense, it's late.

im_hungry
07-12-2006, 10:53 AM
Vai replaced Malmsteen in Alcatrazz and learned their entire set in a night and played an amazing show the next day. But really it's an ego thing. Take Ygnwie, Yngwie Malmsteen is essentially a power metal band called "Yngwie Malmsteen". It's not like its Malmsteen playing everything. Same for Satch and Vai but not in the same egoistic sense. Dunno if I'm making sense, it's late.
this guys right , :cheers: same with the power metal malmsteen thing. Didnt think about it that way before

psychodelia
07-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Some people probably like the idea of being in charge of how their music is played. They might be called "control freaks" but I understand the thinking: you have an idea of how your music should sound, and don't want to compromise it so that five people can deal with a song.

However, from what I've heard of them, you might be interested in Bumblefoot.

Freepower
07-12-2006, 11:38 AM
And uh, FP, Satch was in Deep Purple for a short while, so yes, he was in a band ;)

Really? Weird. That's just not right in my mind...

clay123
07-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Look even though that the virtuosos might be in a band, NAME SOME BANDS THAT ARE SOMEWHAT SUCCESSFUL

And don't say "umm Joe was in Deep Purple!" for a day.....

Get out of denial people

tubab0y
07-12-2006, 12:22 PM
somehow, i could never see satch in a band. it just doesn't seem like the kind of thing he would do. he was born and raised to play solo, and he sounds perfectly good like this. and besides, if satch joined a band, what would happen to g3?

HammerForce
07-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Dude, Whitesnake are pretty successful....
I'd consider Luca Turilli a shredder, I'd say he only doesn't have as big a 'shredder' name for himself because he's actually in a band. Same goes for Michael Romeo. John Petrucci?
Or is this just restricted to people whos names are Vai, Satch, Batio, Yngwie and Cooley?

Resiliance
07-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Look even though that the virtuosos might be in a band, NAME SOME BANDS THAT ARE SOMEWHAT SUCCESSFUL

And don't say "umm Joe was in Deep Purple!" for a day.....

Get out of denial people

I've come to the conclusion you don't deserve the music of the people you name.

Leave.

paddyo
07-12-2006, 01:08 PM
Ok,NOONE has mentioned Gilbert yet,without a doubt one of the most successful as far as bands go.

Mr.Big-Huge in Japan and Asia and quite popular for a while in the U.S
Racer X-Hugely popular "underground" if you will,metal Band,the inspiration for millions
Countless tribute bands/Collabarations/Guest appearances...

Point proven,at least on him.

Resiliance
07-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Kotzen - Poison anyone?
Howe - Michael Jackson, Nsync anyone?

Gawd, could go on for days... But the guy wouldn't get it anyway.

paddyo
07-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Enrique Inglaisias(sp?)! :p:

flamencogod
07-12-2006, 02:43 PM
the threadstarter doesn't really know what he's talking bout...

Nicolaim
07-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Marty Friedman- Megadeth...
Steve Morse- Deep Purple.

Biaaaaach

xxdarrenxx
07-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Clay... :no: You seriously just got owned big time :devil: :devil: :devil:

:cool: Now let the cool people talk and listen to them wisemen :cool:

Freepower
07-12-2006, 03:31 PM
Look even though that the virtuosos might be in a band, NAME SOME BANDS THAT ARE SOMEWHAT SUCCESSFUL.

Gee, i guess you're right. All those platinum and gold records don't count for **** - and thats why i have a wall of them, just like Becker, Satch, Vai, Marty...

Matt_Malmsteen
07-12-2006, 03:33 PM
n00bish threadstarter

Spamwise
07-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Don't forget Petrucci, he's also a virtuoso in a band.

Anyway, I like the instrumental guitar music. If you want to have a band with a virtuoso player, practice 8 hours a day and make one yourself.

NevermorePsalm
07-12-2006, 04:35 PM
I was waiting to hear Howe's name to be mentioned. He is very popular as a session guitarist.

psychodelia
07-12-2006, 04:38 PM
^ Resi mentioned him a few posts up.

blues_rocker
07-12-2006, 04:50 PM
^ Resi mentioned him a few posts up.

That's why he said WAS waiting ;)

psychodelia
07-12-2006, 06:00 PM
That's why he said WAS waiting ;)

Damn, I'm embarrassed English is my first language.

Evil_Empire24-7
07-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Ok where's Impellitteri ?

Beckerism
07-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Ok where's Impellitteri ?

Perhaps combing his luscious hair? :confused:

Or out kicking stray cat's asses.

Gots to be one of those two.

malmsteen61
07-12-2006, 10:44 PM
didnt satch do a song with spinal tap

blues_rocker
07-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Perhaps combing his luscious hair? :confused:

Or out kicking stray cat's asses.

Gots to be one of those two.

Or practicing making his left hand move LESS.

splice
07-12-2006, 11:06 PM
didnt satch do a song with spinal tap

yup...there was a bit about that on the satch tapes

Beckerism
07-12-2006, 11:15 PM
Or practicing making his left hand move LESS.

That too. :p:

Axegrinder#9
07-13-2006, 12:54 AM
I think the threadstarter's thoughts have been misinterpreted a bit... but yea I don't think I'll care to reiterate it all right now...

splice
07-13-2006, 12:58 AM
he basically said he thinks that shredders should join bands...rather than making instrumental music...he also said it seems like its meant more for showing off than for musical enjoyment...which in some cases is true but not most...he continued later to note that most of the "shredders" were never in bands...which makes him a dumbass

Axegrinder#9
07-13-2006, 01:06 AM
I think that what he wanted to convey was that it would be interesting and probably good if the shredders formed a band which didn't have blitzkrieg guitar solos as the focal point... the few guitarists who have managed to transcend this have been Vai, Satch, and Friedman (the ones that I can think of)... these guys have played with bands before and then did their own solo work which was an extension of what they did with the band, and more bold. Buckethead's another guy who's done some amazing solo work.

however, a lot of shredders would indeed be better off being a part of a band and a cohesive writing unit to see what they could come up with within a contrained framework. Unlike say Nitro, the little of which I've heard, sounded like ****.

read my first post, maybe it'll make a lil' more sense.

Freepower
07-13-2006, 03:54 AM
^ tut tut. Freight Train is AWESOME.

(only good song on O.F.R. :( )

henza_x
07-13-2006, 04:35 AM
michael angelo has nitro, even tho i reckon he sux

Axegrinder#9
07-13-2006, 05:33 AM
Michael Angelo does everything but suck, you are a ****ing idiot so I reckon you should piss off...

anyway FP, you really like "Freight Train"? the songs so ****ing cheesy and campy and guitar solo is just a whole bunch of picking and sweeping exercises.

I was very happy with MAB's recent solo effort, but then again, it was pretty much a cover album, and the originals were again bordering on showpieces....

Resiliance
07-13-2006, 07:49 AM
Well no they wouldn't be better off in a band...

You'd just like them better if they were in one.

Freepower
07-13-2006, 08:26 AM
FP, you really like "Freight Train"? the songs so ****ing cheesy and campy and guitar solo is just a whole bunch of picking and sweeping exercises.

That kinda cheese is awesome. And so is that solo! Exercises my ass, its pure OTT class from one end to another.

Stratwizard
07-13-2006, 09:09 AM
There are a lot of guitar virtuosos in bands even nowadays.

John Petrucci - Dream Theater
Micheal Amott - Arch Enemy
Alexi Laiho - Children Of Bodom (meh)
Kristian Ranta, Petri Lindroos - Norther
Muhammed Suicmez - Necrophagist

Personally I enjoyed - for example - Vai's solo stuff more than his work in the bands. And he did too. Do you think he would be on a solo career now, if he didn't like it? This basically applies to a lot of shredders on solo career now.

Matt_Malmsteen
07-13-2006, 09:39 AM
^^Norther and Michael Amott own.

Axegrinder#9
07-13-2006, 11:38 AM
That kinda cheese is awesome. And so is that solo! Exercises my ass, its pure OTT class from one end to another.

hahah seriously? let's have a vote!

and Resi, yea I'm thinking it is more to do with my sonic palette, but I wonder might that not lead to interesting music happening than what they are doing...

but I agree with StratWiz on the fact that yes some artists, like I mentioned before, have truly successfully embarked on a solo career, Vai, Satch, JP and Yngwie (though it's gotten dated), and some others that I mentioned before...

The UG Squirrel
07-14-2006, 06:54 AM

Agreed, the video is just the epitomy of 80's excess:p:

Lin
07-14-2006, 10:25 AM
Vai's first album with Dave Lee Roth is awesome.

But most guitarists are in bands. Solo guitarists will always sound different and special, and IMHO the scene is richer for having both traditional bands, and solo artists.

mingles
07-14-2006, 11:08 AM
Why would you be in a rock band or whatever if you have the skills and the option to solo and do whatever you want all over a record?

maidenrulz19
07-14-2006, 02:55 PM
isnt micheal angelo in a band i might be wrong

public property
07-14-2006, 06:17 PM
There is a reason most non-shred guitars don't make solo albums, it's the same reason herman li is in a band, not enough talent, imagine a herman li instrumental album? Absolutely terrible is probably what you're thinking. Only shredders with a hell of alot of theory/recording knowledge/technical ability can pull off solo albums, funnily enough, those are the ones anyone ever listens to.

axe_grinder247
07-14-2006, 08:03 PM
shredders joining together in a band? why, so their egos could collide and self-destruct?

please

Axegrinder#9
07-14-2006, 08:15 PM
^ that's the reason why Malmsteen's latter albums to be frankly honest, with all due respect to my personal guru, have been extremely dated and stale... like Public_Property said, very few shredders have been truly able to pull off cohesive solo albums... well that's just my opinion, but I'd really not want to listen to an album showcasing Fransesco Fareri sweeping sextuplets at 220 bpm with some keyboards thrown in an odd time variation and labelled off as prog.

splice
07-14-2006, 08:40 PM
^ that's the reason why Malmsteen's latter albums to be frankly honest, with all due respect to my personal guru, have been extremely dated and stale... like Public_Property said, very few shredders have been truly able to pull off cohesive solo albums... well that's just my opinion, but I'd really not want to listen to an album showcasing Fransesco Fareri sweeping sextuplets at 220 bpm with some keyboards thrown in an odd time variation and labelled off as prog.

well it wouldve been different if he would have said all the bad shredders should join bands...

apocalypse13
07-14-2006, 09:20 PM
^^Norther and Michael Amott own.
Yeah man Amott owns my face OFF.

And his Carcass stuff is even better than his Arch Enemy stuff.

axe_grinder247
07-14-2006, 09:34 PM
Yeah man Amott owns my face OFF.

true dat, son

garden of grey
07-14-2006, 09:36 PM
^ what i've heard of that album is awesome, im looking forward to it.

Basically, some people want to make instrumental guitar music. Fair enough to them. I really doubt anyone good enough to get an album deal nowadays is really that bothered about showing off on record - thats what vids are for!

I would love to be playing in a band i felt in synch with, but i can't find any, really. Perhaps some they have that problem.

But everyone you've mentioned except Satch was actually in a band! Vai's live band - while supporting Vai as the main player - certainly get more than a cursory glance in the live act. Rusty plays rhythm guitar most of the time in his band - like he should - and he does so admirably. MAB was perfect for Nitro, and so on.

Basically, they've all had bands and some now still have em.

I do think its better for most guitarists to be working in a band situation, but some may feel their calling is instrumental shred, and good luck to em, i say.

thank you for saving my time and completely proving this guy wrong.

Axegrinder#9
07-15-2006, 04:37 AM
well it wouldve been different if he would have said all the bad shredders should join bands...

see there are no bad shredders - that's the point, just that some of them don't really sound unique or outstanding, in their solo efforts.

Resiliance
07-15-2006, 05:04 AM
And why would they sound any different in a band? Give it a rest already.

Stratwizard
07-15-2006, 07:52 AM

No.

Doomsday Machine > Every Carcass album.

Not saying that Carcass stuff would've been bad though.

Axegrinder#9
07-15-2006, 12:41 PM
And why would they sound any different in a band? Give it a rest already.

they would if it was a real cohesive writing unit as opposed to playing backing tracks :rolleyes:

Resiliance
07-15-2006, 03:19 PM
... Because that's what shredders who aren't in a "band" do.

They play over backing tracks...

Riiight.

Thread's getting a bit ridiculous. Closage.