Agathis vs. other wood

PDA

View Full Version : Agathis vs. other wood

Reesh
07-14-2006, 02:47 AM
Ive heard agathis is the worst or at least pretty bad "dead" sounding wood to be an electric guitar. Im think of getting an ESP LTD MH250 which seems absolutely awesome apart from the Agathis body. Will i really notice i difference? if it werre an alder body would i love it any different? Ive been playing for almost 3 years, basically any style

Kid_Thorazine
07-14-2006, 02:52 AM
you will notice some difference, but if you like the sound of it then go ahead and get it, I have a BC Rich bass made of of agathis and i love its tone. But in genneral yeah an alder body would sound a little better.

rnrsoldier1461
07-14-2006, 02:52 AM
agathis is very flat but bright sounding, i personally hate it, especially for rock

Edwardthegreat5
07-14-2006, 02:54 AM
Agathis is the same thing as plywood, think of it this way, every bad guitar you've ever played was most likely made of agathis.

Reesh
07-14-2006, 02:56 AM
Well thats a bummer, im still giong to test it out at sam ash but ill have to search for another guitar in the meantime. thanks

Kid_Thorazine
07-14-2006, 03:00 AM
Agathis is the same thing as plywood, think of it this way, every bad guitar you've ever played was most likely made of agathis.

Agathis isnt the same thing as plywood, it is however a softer wood than what is gennerally used for making guitars. And actually ive played well made agathis guitars that sound better the not so well made mahogany and/or ash guitars. But still the general consensus is that agathis isnt a good tone wood.

Edwardthegreat5
07-14-2006, 03:01 AM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-KH202-Kirk-Hammett-Signature-Electric-Guitar?sku=516639
Same thing as the MH, but has a basswood body and cooler inlays, get this instead of the MH and you'll be a lot happier.

azn_guitarist25
07-14-2006, 03:03 AM
yeh but trem and pickups aint great

Invictious
07-14-2006, 03:06 AM
Dude, don't even bother with agathis, even acrylic is better than agathis.

Well beechwood is worse than agathis, don't get anything made out of agathis, unless its firewood. Agathis burns really well.

Edwardthegreat5
07-14-2006, 03:27 AM
yeh but trem and pickups aint great
Same as the one he was originally getting, this one's only 40 dollars more.

Reesh
07-14-2006, 03:33 AM
good call on that kirk hammet ill have to check that out.

azn_guitarist25
07-14-2006, 03:34 AM
then again the mh250 is a neck thru so really you only got 2 agathis wings so any tonal differences could be loss with the maple neck running straight through

freddy692000
07-14-2006, 04:38 AM
if u want to play distortion songs (hard rock ,metal etc) just dont do it LTD makes the CHEAP guitars by agathis body ,also the guitar has passive EMGs on it if i really knew the passive EMGs are the CHEAP pickups of LTD so u ll buy a guitar for 650dollars and u wont be able to install something (pickups ) and upgrade it for real (EMG active pickups need mahogany body to work perfect) u should buy a mahogany (bass and dark sound wood) or alder (bright wood solo guitars are made of alder,jackson) .also u should check an ibanez,Epi or jackson or something.thats my opinion by the way (that is what i did with my EPI gothic ,mahogany body
and i have no noise and super great crunch distortion with great highs and bass sounds,thnx :)

EagleC
07-14-2006, 05:03 AM
Agathis is NOT ply. It's a real wood from the pacific rim similar in density to mahogony but generally inferior. Its the bottom end of real woods for an electric unless you dislike Basswoods tone or fragility.

tonequest
12-14-2008, 06:37 AM
1. Playing + Guitar Neck + Guitar Body + Guitar Strings = Acoustic Tone, Timbre

2. Pickups + Tone Circuits + Cable come next

3. Effects + Amp + Speaker + Room does the rest...

The cumulative result of all of the above is "the sound" you get. Different players like different sounds, but statements like "don't bother with agathis" make no sense

Check out this link. Listen to sound coming from a "cheap" guitar with Agathis body:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg0dYvrzxdE&feature=related

PS- The guy in this video is a working player, not a basement wannabe. He knows guitars and knows tone, so think about this before bitching about agathis...

reincarnator
12-14-2008, 07:26 AM
I played the mh250 the other day and I thought it was amazing. I didnt even know it was agathis until I got home and checked it. My bass is also agathis and I like the tone of it. As long as you like the tone, it doesn't really matter what its made of.

BrockTandem
12-14-2008, 08:06 AM
Play it and if you like the sound then buy it.

Esparko
12-14-2008, 08:20 AM
I've played my agathis guitar (I swapped the pickups to Dimarzios) for 2 years and I have no intention of putting it down anytime soon, don't listen to the others who say its inferior, if it sounds good to you then that's your choice.
Just maximize the potential of the guitar by EQ'ing and a pickup change.

Tackleberry
12-14-2008, 09:42 AM
Agathis isnt plywood and it isnt BAD wood its just a economically priced wood that is readily available in asia where they make many lower price instruments. Here we use things like alder, maple etc because it grows here and is therefore more economical to use versus shipping wood from say asia. If the asians shipped alder, maple etc there it would raise the prices of the lower price guitars. Some woods are getting hard to come by like brazilian rosewood so they had to shift to using indian rosewood so guitar prices wouldnt go up.

Big_Rat
12-14-2008, 10:47 AM
My Washburn's body is Agathis, i like the tone, there's nothing wrong with it.

Stay Up Late
12-14-2008, 11:23 AM
This topic's over two years old.

DespisedIcon
12-14-2008, 11:45 AM

I played a Gibson Les Paul Supreme and it was a very bad guitar, yet I don't think it was made of plywood.