best guitar polish

PDA

View Full Version : best guitar polish

sempri_fi
07-16-2006, 07:01 PM
hey guys what do you think is the best guitar polish for the money-> i have a schecter omen-6 and it doesnt have a pickguard so it is starting to get a little scratched up,
thanks
~jacob

fine_fiend
07-16-2006, 07:08 PM
fender polish is all i ever use

toogoodd
07-16-2006, 07:09 PM
i don't think polish will fix those scratches... or mine doesn't which... i use ernie ball guitar polish~ works really good and smells pretty aight

Funky P
07-16-2006, 07:11 PM
Meguiars car polish is the best guitar polish. Guitar polishes ust remove grease and do little to fix scratches, car polish works great.

toogoodd
07-16-2006, 07:16 PM
but r u sure car polish is safe on guitar wood??

Ippon
07-16-2006, 07:21 PM
To remove "minor" scratches, 3M Finesse-It II ... either Glaze (which I used) or Finishing ...comes in 16 oz and usually sold at marine supplies. It is wax-free and silicone-free.

After removing the scratches and to bring out the gloss, car wax works great AS LONG AS it's silicone-free. Per most guitar websites, silicone IS BAD for wood.

tuberculosis
07-16-2006, 07:22 PM
Depends on the condition of the paint. If you've got a few minor scratches you may be able to re buff them out using any fine cut compound, and then swirl remover and then wax it. For wax, I use Meguiars #6 I believe, it cleans, polishes and waxes all in one step. Great stuff, plus it smells great!

If i'm just cleaning off finger prints and other crap from the guitar, i'll use Dunlop 65 and then Stew-Mac Preservation Polish with a yellow Fender polishing cloth.

Silicone is only bad for the finish, because if you ever need to refinish the guitar, most shops use the clear as a base for there paint so the silicone makes it difficult for the finish to stick.

Ippon
07-16-2006, 07:26 PM
Depends on the condition of the paint. If you've got a few minor scratches you may be able to re buff them out using any fine cut compound, and then swirl remover and then wax it. For wax, I use Meguiars #6 I believe, it cleans, polishes and waxes all in one step. Great stuff, plus it smells great!

If i'm just cleaning off finger prints and other crap from the guitar, i'll use Dunlop 65 and then Stew-Mac Preservation Polish with a yellow Fender polishing cloth.

Silicone is only bad for the finish, because if you ever need to refinish the guitar, most shops use the clear as a base for there paint so the silicone makes it difficult for the finish to stick.
Yea! That's the part I forgot all about ... I just remember that silicone was bad but not the reason. :cheers:

tuberculosis
07-16-2006, 07:32 PM
I should add that the silicone can seep through the finish and run into the wood, and that's basically when you're screwed. :p:

pass2
07-16-2006, 07:35 PM
I use Virtuoso Premium Polish for my guitar and I love it. It leaves a really nice shine and makes a good coating that lasts.

ARRG
07-17-2006, 01:41 AM
I used ot use dunlop 65. But one of my local gutiar techs changed me to doctor duck's axwax.

And if yo uhave serous scratches you should rebuff it.