Tim Armstrong Guitar?

PDA

View Full Version : Tim Armstrong Guitar?

skateguitar7654
07-17-2006, 11:17 PM
Hey guys, very n00b question but what is Tim Armstrong's main guitar?
You can flame if it makes you feel good.

Clay Treznum
07-17-2006, 11:25 PM
its some sort of a gretsch i think

Iluvpowerchords
07-17-2006, 11:26 PM
It's a Gretsch Country Club, and your a fag :)

(It made me feel good)

IlikeTheSKA
07-17-2006, 11:27 PM
A Hagstrom hollowbody. It says so on the Hagstrom website.

Iluvpowerchords
07-17-2006, 11:28 PM
A Hagstrom hollowbody. It says so on the Hagstrom website.

Really?!

I have a guitar world thats says otherwise. :(

IlikeTheSKA
07-17-2006, 11:31 PM
Really?!

I have a guitar world thats says otherwise. :(
Back a while ago I was curious about what kind of guitar it was. In pictures th eheadstock doesnt match that of a Gretsch headstock, and under the artists section on the Hagstrom website, it lists Tim Armstrong.

Hw may have more than one kind of guitar, but he definately did have a hollowbody Hagstrom.

sonixon
07-18-2006, 01:56 AM
His main is a Gretsch. He said in Guitar World that he likes it because it's so light, like an old guitar he had a long time ago.

skateguitar7654
07-18-2006, 09:39 AM
Oh, I guess it isn't much of n00b question.

indestructible8
07-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Oh, I guess it isn't much of n00b question.

no it still is.

lifewontwait834
07-18-2006, 04:26 PM
hes also used a gibson LP custom too.

skateguitar7654
07-18-2006, 07:02 PM
no it still is.

Uh, no one knows the answer.

indestructible8
07-19-2006, 12:17 PM
Uh, no one knows the answer.

http://www.guitarplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=4&storycode=10780

hepzibahbaptist
07-19-2006, 12:21 PM
lol i have to say it is Gretsch Country Club

TiMaRmStRoNg101
07-19-2006, 01:07 PM
it depends on how i'm feeling sometimes
but i usually bust out the gretsch

Prince
07-19-2006, 03:09 PM
it depends on how i'm feeling sometimes
but i usually bust out the gretsch

really? i always thought you used a daisy.
http://www.thatllteachyou.com/daisyrockguitars/images/heartbreaker.jpg

ibanezlove
07-22-2006, 10:29 AM
you know what sucks about tim armstrong. the fact that he doesnt even play the guitar live! just jumps around hitttin the strings with the volume down! i dont get why he just doesnt play!

skateguitar7654
07-22-2006, 11:47 AM
you know what sucks about tim armstrong. the fact that he doesnt even play the guitar live! just jumps around hitttin the strings with the volume down! i dont get why he just doesnt play!

Thanks for answering my question.

mattyblinkfall
07-22-2006, 12:52 PM
your all retarted he uses a schecter S-1.. gosh even go on the schecter website

your pathetic

LoudnSnotty138
07-22-2006, 02:11 PM
yeah guys really pathetic.....

hardrock1315
07-23-2006, 01:43 AM
your all retarted he uses a schecter S-1.. gosh even go on the schecter website

your pathetic

Actually he doesn't use that one too much, just recently.

hatebreed219
07-23-2006, 12:39 PM
It is possible that he's used more then one guitar....

hard_rock101
07-23-2006, 01:14 PM
yes. he uses the gretch country club, a gibson sg, les paul custom, shecter s1, and the hagstrom hollowbody, and probably more

indestructible8
07-23-2006, 06:37 PM
i think if we were talking about what guitar east bay ray used, it would be a little more productive. this is kinda like asking what kinda guitar my uncle larry plays with. meaning, noone gives a ****.

tylerishot
07-23-2006, 09:52 PM
^What guitar does your uncle Larry use?

eskimo pie
07-24-2006, 07:15 AM
Hahha!!!

hatebreed219
07-24-2006, 08:05 AM
Basically, all of you that were arguing about one specific guitar he used....

pwned. :D

JohnnyNapalm
07-24-2006, 12:20 PM
Um no. Thats not pwned.

Now if the threadstarter asked "What did Tim use?" and I went "y0r m0m el oh elz00rrz"

now that would be pwned.

bucky_2300
07-24-2006, 02:58 PM
True punks play pawn shop guitars with half the neck broken off, leaving three strings playable. They don't know how to tune it, either.

SpringingOff
07-25-2006, 10:52 AM
Why does the dude play Gretsch?

hatebreed219
07-25-2006, 02:32 PM
Um no. Thats not pwned.

Now if the threadstarter asked "What did Tim use?" and I went "y0r m0m el oh elz00rrz"

now that would be pwned.

.....it was joke

Iluvpowerchords
07-25-2006, 02:52 PM
True punks play pawn shop guitars with half the neck broken off, leaving three strings playable. They don't know how to tune it, either.

QFT!

the glue man
07-25-2006, 05:46 PM
Tim Armstrong plays trumpet. Gosh, you're all pathetic.

TiMaRmStRoNg101
07-27-2006, 01:59 PM
really? i always thought you used a daisy.
http://www.thatllteachyou.com/daisyrockguitars/images/heartbreaker.jpg

Well, I USUALLY use your mom

http://www.georgeblowfish.com/prostitute.jpg

indestructible8
07-28-2006, 10:02 PM
i donno what this is it looks kinda like a double cut les paul remake or something

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e203/ociwris409/5b.jpg

hardrock1315
07-29-2006, 12:52 AM
Why does the dude play Gretsch?

Because Gretsch guitars are awesome?

chillie pepper
07-31-2006, 09:17 AM

i cant tune my guitar....lol

Arrow13Vinnie
12-21-2006, 02:02 PM
On Rancid's first album, Armstrong recorded with a Gibson SG through a Marshall
With Let's Go, the same SG was used along with his custom-built Hagstrom Viking through the Marshall
On AOCTW, he used a Gibson Les Paul along with a Fender Stratocaster
By Life Won't Wait Armstrong used various guitars, such as the Hagstrom, Gibson Les Paul, Fender Stratocaster, and a 1974 Gretsch Country Club
On Rancid (2000) he switched to a Mesa Boogie amp and used the Hagstrom and the Gretsch Country Club
Currently Armstrong is using his Country Club and a Schecter S-1 which he started using since the Transplants released their second album, Haunted Cities

okay I copied it from wikipedia, but it's pretty complete, except for the black hollowbody, the that looks like an ES 335 or something with a bridge humbucker, but it isn't, can someone tell me what it is?

Philly_e43
12-21-2006, 02:40 PM
the country club?

ss311
12-21-2006, 02:42 PM
This thread makes me want to die.

Ska Wars
12-21-2006, 03:08 PM
Hey guys, very n00b question but what is Tim Armstrong's main guitar?
electric guitar

VodkaPunk
12-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Well.

From personal experience Tim mainly uses a Gretsch. This is probably already established through the pages of the posts but I didn't look.

LIVE Tim usually starts the first few songs on his Gretsch. He does switch to his Schechter though.

Since this is a Tim Armstrong not Rancid question -Tim did play Stratocasters while in Operation Ivy.

Someone probably mentioned this in the posts before me but I haven't look yet.

But anyway. This is Tim Armstrongs Gretsch with my band[DSNF]s sticker on it.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/VodkaPunk/MyBoyTim.jpg

VodkaPunk
12-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Actually he doesn't use that one too much, just recently.

Thats actually not true. He started using schecters before Lars Frederiksen even joined Rancid. EARLY Rancid.

stagasarus8
12-21-2006, 05:15 PM
he has a signature schecter s-1

BigTakeover138
12-21-2006, 05:29 PM
i read somewhere that Tim is right handed but plays left hand guitars anyway. Can someone tell me if this is right?

UraniYum
12-21-2006, 05:59 PM
This thread makes me want to die.
i couldn't have said it better myself.

Ska Wars
12-21-2006, 08:48 PM
i read somewhere that Tim is right handed but plays left hand guitars anyway. Can someone tell me if this is right?
maybe. i'm right handed, but i play bass left handed for some reason.

elstoleno
01-03-2007, 05:05 PM

Tim is left handed.
I know this as the band me mate was in at the time (Loudmouth), supported Rancid & The Unseen in Edinbrough. Tim autographed the cd with his left hand, shook hands with his left hand. & so on.

mike2
01-03-2007, 11:03 PM
i hate rancid...

trio fan
01-04-2007, 12:44 PM
i hate rancid...

why bother posting in this thread then?

dookie_dude_
01-04-2007, 07:59 PM
i hate rancid...
dude first in another thread you say you hate misfits, now you say you hate rancid...
hmmm maybe your in the wrong forum

TheAdict310
01-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Well.

From personal experience Tim mainly uses a Gretsch. This is probably already established through the pages of the posts but I didn't look.

LIVE Tim usually starts the first few songs on his Gretsch. He does switch to his Schechter though.

Since this is a Tim Armstrong not Rancid question -Tim did play Stratocasters while in Operation Ivy.

Someone probably mentioned this in the posts before me but I haven't look yet.

But anyway. This is Tim Armstrongs Gretsch with my band[DSNF]s sticker on it.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/VodkaPunk/MyBoyTim.jpg

Why don't you just put in your signature "TIM ARMSTRONG HAS MY FUCKING STICKER ON HIS GUITAR!", that way I won't have to read the same thing in ten different threads?

dookie_dude_
01-04-2007, 11:14 PM
Why don't you just put in your signature "TIM ARMSTRONG HAS MY FUCKING STICKER ON HIS GUITAR!", that way I won't have to read the same thing in ten different threads?
:haha thats so true, but you must have a fuking good band for tim armstrong to like it

mike2
01-05-2007, 01:32 AM
dude first in another thread you say you hate misfits, now you say you hate rancid...
hmmm maybe your in the wrong forum

cause they both suck sooooooo much....that is why

VodkaSkunk
01-05-2007, 01:43 AM
Why don't you just put in your signature "TIM ARMSTRONG HAS MY ****ING STICKER ON HIS GUITAR!", that way I won't have to read the same thing in ten different threads?

TheAdict310.....QUIET......

VodkaPunk
01-05-2007, 01:47 AM
Well. I thought it might fit since the thread is ' Tim Armstrongs guitar. '

I mean ... I think I'm the only one here who did actually post a picture of Tim Armstrongs guitar.

musiclover2399
01-05-2007, 04:34 AM
I think he used a Strat, but I'm not sure. Whatever it was, he put a humbucker in the neck position to give him that blues-style twangy tone
I saw a vid of the kennedys recording rawhide and he was indeed playing a strat, HH config. I'm guessng they were dimarzios though as they were a color I only see on those (mostly).

UraniYum
01-05-2007, 08:18 AM
I think DSNF are pretty damn good ska punk.
Don't you dare sig that vodkapunk :peace:

VodkaPunk
01-05-2007, 01:56 PM
I think DSNF are pretty damn good ska punk.
Don't you dare sig that vodkapunk :peace:

Aaahahha. I have to make room damnit!!!

mike2
01-05-2007, 07:04 PM
do you have like a myspace or any music online so we can listen to your band? You mentioning it all the time makes me want a listen.

TheAdict310
01-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Well. I thought it might fit since the thread is ' Tim Armstrongs guitar. '

I mean ... I think I'm the only one here who did actually post a picture of Tim Armstrongs guitar.

The picture fit, I've just read in several posts about that sticker, and if I read it again I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a stroke.

VodkaPunk
01-06-2007, 03:28 AM
do you have like a myspace or any music online so we can listen to your band? You mentioning it all the time makes me want a listen.

You could myspace search my band ' DSNF '
Or you could just go here... www.myspace.com/dsnfpunx (http://www.myspace.com/dsnfpunx)

We took our studio songs off and put up some random live songs from various shows over the past year or so.

The picture fit, I've just read in several posts about that sticker, and if I read it again I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a stroke.

Heh. I'll probably find an other reason to post it in an other random thread just for you man. Just for you. ;)

About the Tim liking our band comment ... We started recording with a Hellcat band called Time Again and thats how it started with Tim.

TheAdict310
01-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Heh. I'll probably find an other reason to post it in an other random thread just for you man. Just for you. ;)

Aw, you're a sweetheart.

TiMaRmStRoNg101
01-07-2007, 12:54 PM
I play an Ibanez Artcore
thanks for askin'

VodkaPunk
01-07-2007, 05:03 PM
I play an Ibanez Artcore
thanks for askin'

I have that guitar. Its garbage.

ClashCR46
01-08-2007, 09:11 AM
He was playing a Gretch when I saw him at Leeds Uni last year - but he did play a strat with OP Ivy (when he was at his best!)

damm_punks
01-08-2007, 03:44 PM
oi vodka punk im going to illegaly download all your music on limewire

VodkaPunk
01-08-2007, 06:37 PM
oi vodka punk im going to illegaly download all your music on limewire

Do what you gotta do.

TiMaRmStRoNg101
01-08-2007, 10:44 PM
I have that guitar. Its garbage.

your mom's garbage
and so is your taste in guitars.
do you expect a guitar to be ****in a when you first get it?
do some work, get some pickups
adjust the string heighten
jesus, take some pride in your instrument.

I'm Tim Armstrong, and I know everything.

yeahyeah
01-08-2007, 11:00 PM
I like my artcore

(its got a pretty lightning bolt on it)

VodkaPunk
01-08-2007, 11:45 PM
your mom's garbage
and so is your taste in guitars.
do you expect a guitar to be ****in a when you first get it?
do some work, get some pickups
adjust the string heighten
jesus, take some pride in your instrument.

I'm Tim Armstrong, and I know everything.

Excuse me? I've had no beef with you. Why is my taste in guitars garbage? I actually bought this guitar thats being discussed. Meaning I had liked it previous to my purchase. But upon playing it I concluded it is a bad guitar especially for punk music.

A few shows ago this band that opened for us was using the same guitar. He was praising his guitar before their set because we got to discussing it and how I had the same guitar. Then they played their set and yet again an other bad Ibanez Artcore.

Dooooo nooooot play this guitar with stock equipment. Goodluck with plastic pickups. Hah.

TiMaRmStRoNg101
01-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Excuse me? I've had no beef with you. Why is my taste in guitars garbage? I actually bought this guitar thats being discussed. Meaning I had liked it previous to my purchase. But upon playing it I concluded it is a bad guitar especially for punk music.

A few shows ago this band that opened for us was using the same guitar. He was praising his guitar before their set because we got to discussing it and how I had the same guitar. Then they played their set and yet again an other bad Ibanez Artcore.

Dooooo nooooot play this guitar with stock equipment. Goodluck with plastic pickups. Hah.

hah, it's the internet. Beef's aren't something that is summoned from a party. It just shows it's ass up and waits to be acknowledged.
What Artcore are you even talking about, anyway?
Artcore is a series of guitars put out by Ibanez, it's not just ONE guitar. It's like generalizing the fender caster series' (just of course, not on that level).
Plastic pickups? What are you talking about?!
There's a CASING for the pickups which are plastic, which you can easily place new pickups in as a substitute. Which is what I espesially like about their pickup system.
I play an AF-75 Artcore, because like I said, there's more than just one Artcore, and it's pretty great, espesially with Seymour Duncan and a higher string suspension system.

VodkaPunk
01-09-2007, 08:21 PM
hah, it's the internet. Beef's aren't something that is summoned from a party. It just shows it's ass up and waits to be acknowledged.
What Artcore are you even talking about, anyway?
Artcore is a series of guitars put out by Ibanez, it's not just ONE guitar. It's like generalizing the fender caster series' (just of course, not on that level).
Plastic pickups? What are you talking about?!
There's a CASING for the pickups which are plastic, which you can easily place new pickups in as a substitute. Which is what I espesially like about their pickup system.
I play an AF-75 Artcore, because like I said, there's more than just one Artcore, and it's pretty great, espesially with Seymour Duncan and a higher string suspension system.

Woa relax. ANY guitar you do your own work on will be good. I just said with its stock fix its not good.

God damn " YOUR TASTE IN GUITARS IS GARBAGE!! IF YOU TAKE THIS GUITAR AND PUT SEYMOUR DUNCANS!!! AND HIGHER THE SUSPENSION!!! AND AND AND " bro relax.

damm_punks
02-07-2007, 07:40 AM
i was only only joking vodkapunk

RobinsonLee
04-18-2007, 03:59 AM
haha dude i was searching google to find out what he played at the last concert i went to for rancid...i thought it was a gretsch, and no wi see it was, looking back on a pic my friend just sent.
so it's not that 'pathetic' or 'lame' of a question. we all gotta learn this shit at SOME point...i mean, you guys who're sayin we should all already know this...you didn't know it at one point either, so shut the **** up :P

jbwpunk
04-18-2007, 12:30 PM
pulled this from an interview. the same question has been asked in just about every interview hes had, and this is always the answer.

What guitars did you typically track with?
"I have a beautiful Gretsch Country Club and a Schecter S-1 that sounds amazing. But when I get a loop kicking, before I even plug in my Schecter or my Gretsch, Iíll sit down with my í62 Fender acoustic and just play. Iíve had that guitar since 1986, and 90 percent of my music comes from it. Itís one of those guitars that plays itself. Iíve played it every day for almost 20 years. Itís my best guitar ever."

He writes everything on the '62 fender acoustic. The song Stranded (b-side from indestructible) is about that guitar even. Recording and live he uses gretsch and schecters. He does not play les pauls. And to clear some things up, no, I never saw him play a strat in the op ivy days. It was a strat shape but not a fender strat, but if i remember correctly, it was a jackson or ibanez or something like that. O, and that one had a floyd rose. And yes, he had a hagstrom, but switched back to gretsch cuz he liked the feel better. And im sure there are many other guitars in his collection.

hardrock1315
04-18-2007, 12:43 PM
jbwpunk, is that from Guitar Player Magazine? I seem to remember reading it...

LoriDK
04-18-2007, 12:44 PM

About the Tim liking our band comment ... We started recording with a Hellcat band called Time Again and thats how it started with Tim.

Hell, if Tim Armstrong had my band's sticker on his guitar, I would show everyone too. Hating on Rancid is very punk rock now. I love them and have for over 10 years. They are a great band and I am long past giving a **** about punk points.

I also love Time Again. Daniel Dart is the secret love of my life.

This is what old ladies think about...

jbwpunk
04-18-2007, 12:53 PM
a lil off topic, but my dumb ass turned down playin bass for time again to stay in school. aw f uck it, i like to play guitar more anyways.

jbwpunk
04-18-2007, 12:54 PM
and yeah, that lil bit came from guitar player

medi01
06-26-2007, 01:48 PM
It's definitely mainly a gretsch (country club).........check it out on the 'take this city' video on his new solo album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLYWt66CE00

KurtSlashJimi
06-28-2007, 04:57 PM
he uses a whole ton of guitar but there mostly all hollow body