is there a difference between overdrive and distortion.

PDA

View Full Version : is there a difference between overdrive and distortion.

guitarpunk21
07-18-2006, 12:50 AM
thats all i want to know
is there a difference between overdrive and distortion

some_guy
07-18-2006, 01:04 AM
im pretty sure theres a difference

rhymeswith suck
07-18-2006, 01:05 AM
Yes, as fare as I've heard, distortion makes the signal "dirty" where as overdrive kind of speaks for itsself, it "blasts" the signal. I've found overdrive has more growl.

flesh fries
07-18-2006, 01:08 AM
distortion is more ballsy, if you will

jimmers1987
07-18-2006, 01:08 AM
distortion is where you boost the signal so much that it loses it's clarity......overdrive essentially does the same, but with a much cleaner sound to it....

kirbyrocknroll
07-18-2006, 01:11 AM
Distortion is more gritty and has a harshers sound while overdrive has a mellower, cleaner sound.

wmzbomgzors
07-18-2006, 08:52 AM
Yea, you'd use distortion for stuff like punk, grunge, metal, a lot of newer stuff. You would use overdrive for older stuff, classic rock, blues, that sort of thing. Try both out for yourself. Also, don't judge an overdrive pedal by how it sounds through a solid state amp, good overdrives are really meant for tube amps.

seljer
07-18-2006, 09:05 AM
both are effects based on the clipping of the guitar signal

Overdrive: softer, rounder, think AC/DC

Distortion: harder, usually less round but not an all out square wave (thats fuzz), think Metallica

as far as the actual effect pedals go, overdrive pedals can provide an overdrive sound by themselves, however they are usually much more suited for boosting an allready overdrive tube amp into even more breakup.
distortion pedals are usually meant to take care of all you distortion needs, played over an amp thats setup to be clean

rocknrollgod
07-18-2006, 10:19 AM
to use bands to decribe the difference.

overdrive would be the sound you get from eddie van halen and angus young.

distortion is what you hear from slayer, metallica. or any metal band

seljer
07-18-2006, 10:36 AM
to use bands to decribe the difference.

overdrive would be the sound you get from eddie van halen and angus young.

distortion is what you hear from slayer, metallica. or any metal band

not really, eddie's sound is allready pretty distorted so I'd say it goes past overdrive (tube amp with all the ****ing knobs on 10 where young only keeps is marshalls on half volume)

redwing_suck
07-18-2006, 06:33 PM
Yeah, EVH is decidedly a distortion guy.

Overdrive pedals model the sound that tube amps make when you push them up higher in volume. I love that tone... I have a 40W Fender tubie and always had the volume around 2 because it's so damn loud. I took it to a gig outside and didn't even need to use my Ibanez TS overdrive pedal because when you turn that sucker up to 4 or 5, you get nice, dirty overdrive.

shorter_rocker
07-18-2006, 07:46 PM
Distortion is just.. distoring the sound

Overdrive is overpushing the sound, putting in more than it can put out, creating a chrunchy sound, usually amps are made with overdrive and not distortion

pacoasterrider
07-18-2006, 08:13 PM
i personally like overdrive sound with the gain all the way up, just a bright distortion sound almost. but yeah it was explained above what's what, i second their explinations