high action or low action

PDA

View Full Version : high action or low action

TWJ
07-20-2006, 10:26 AM
I seen players that preferred higher action, while some prefer low action. Could anyone list out the benefit and disadvantages? Anyway is it true that low action have fret rattling is abosulty normal? *Not buzz. Wouldn't those fret rattlings cause the guitar to have some low sustain?

steamin'
07-20-2006, 10:35 AM
my guitars have really low action....i lowered them as far as they could possibly go, and i dont get any buzz, never mind rattling.

sheratonplyr369
07-20-2006, 10:38 AM
Yeah I keep my action as low as I can get it without getting buzz. I wouldn't understand why people would keep it at high action, it just makes you slower.

azn_guitarist25
07-20-2006, 10:42 AM
high action = generally longer sustains
low action = easier to fret

Zeppelin256
07-20-2006, 10:46 AM
I like mine closer to a high action. It just kind of feels too slack to me with the lowest possible action with no buzz, plus I think it gives a fuller tone.

King ofKumbucha
07-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Depends on what you like to play

gtdude114
07-20-2006, 11:02 AM
Personally, i like the low action. i play speed metal and glam metal, so i need the hammerons n not so much sustain. the only thing about my guitar is is that everytime i touch the whammy, my g string goes sharp and all my powerchord on the 5 n up are ****ed

Crunchmeister
07-20-2006, 11:06 AM

+1

I personally like a medium action. Give me the best balance between sustain and ease of fretting. Then again, that also depends on which guitar I'm using, since my different guitars are used for different purpose. For lead, I use my Lado Earth 2000-3, and it's got ridiculously low action. I use my other guitars mostly for rhythm, and I play hard, so I like higher action for those.

lespaulkevin
07-20-2006, 11:08 AM
advantage of really high action : slide gutiar playing

i usually keep all my guitars with considerably low-medium action though

jj1565
07-20-2006, 11:21 AM
think about it. if the string is higher off the board, it will ring out longer.
because its not going to rub against a fret and get choked short.

so alot of jazz players will opt for higher action.

lower action is good too because ur able to fret easier, like said. better for quick runs.

i like mine med/low too. for me its the best of both worlds.
(except on my martin. thats a higher action guitar for me.)

just make sure u adjust ur pickup height too.
if u prefer a higher action ull want to creep up the pup height to prevent volume loss.
conversely, ull want to lower the pups on a low action guitar to increase sustain and prevent a muddy tone.

Keef-is-king
07-20-2006, 11:23 AM
I like medium high action
it just feels better, the highs are crisper too, and the lows are less muddy (on my tele at least)

azn_guitarist25
07-20-2006, 11:25 AM
i like the higher spectrum of med/high since ive got a hate affair with low action dont know why but im more of a med/high action just feels comfortable

Strat_Monkey
07-20-2006, 11:26 AM
High action is 'sposed to make bends easier too, though I've never noticed much of a difference.

I prefer it really high, because that way you can get better sustain, play slide more easily, hammer the crap out of your strings without any fret buzz and possibly bend more easily.

The fact that they're a little harder to fret can be easily overcome with a little bit of practise, and since there are no tonal upsides to low action, I always see it as a bit of a lazy option. Then again, if you're a shredder I guess you kinda need it. Meh. Up to you.

alteredtunings
09-17-2012, 01:49 PM

Higher action usually produces more volume as well because the strings can be plucked harder without buzzing.

This goes into the action debate a little:

guitarrepairbench.com (http://guitarrepairbench.com/electric-guitar-repairs/adjust_action_electric_guitar.html)

T00DEEPBLUE
09-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Higher action means that you get more sustain but poor intonation.

Lower action sacrifices sustain for playability and intonation accuracy.

The reasn why higher action causes intonation problems is that more pressure needs to be applied to the strings to fret it, that pressure translates to the string being stretched slightly as it is fretted, causing the note to go sharp. This is the main reason why guitars never perfectly intonate.

MrFlibble
09-17-2012, 04:04 PM
This thread is six years old.