Guitar Tuning

PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Tuning

Schecter1277
07-23-2006, 06:09 PM
Well, many people say that half step down tuning is "D G C F A D" but I reciently encountered a very knowledgable guitar guru that used to play for/with muddy waters, so his resume seemed accurate. And he told me that tuning is based on pitch. Or 440Hz, which is standard, and whole octave down is 220Hz and up is 660Hz. Well, a step down is like 400 or some number, I can't remember the number he gave me. But told me to tune my low E to A and tune with 5th harmonics all the way down. And that tuning sounded better than DGCFAD ever did. It had more ring to it, and the notes fit together better and all manner of better things. What I want to know is what do these numbers mean, and why do they work better?

Sapple Pass
07-23-2006, 06:12 PM
Every Acid Dealer Gets Busted Eventually

oh wait. thats not what you want is it?

Funky P
07-23-2006, 06:12 PM
half step down is not what you have there, that is whole step down.

screamokid
07-23-2006, 06:17 PM
Well, many people say that half step down tuning is "D G C F A D" but I reciently encountered a very knowledgable guitar guru that used to play for/with muddy waters, so his resume seemed accurate. And he told me that tuning is based on pitch. Or 440Hz, which is standard, and whole octave down is 220Hz and up is 660Hz. Well, a step down is like 400 or some number, I can't remember the number he gave me. But told me to tune my low E to A and tune with 5th harmonics all the way down. And that tuning sounded better than DGCFAD ever did. It had more ring to it, and the notes fit together better and all manner of better things. What I want to know is what do these numbers mean, and why do they work better?

dgcfad is full step tuning half step is Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb

or if you use a tuner, and have a flat button, 1 flat for 1/2 step and 2 for full step

mikb
07-23-2006, 06:19 PM
I think 440hz is the frequency that a is at

Schecter1277
07-23-2006, 06:54 PM
I am asking what these numbers mean and why did he tell me to use them. and why does it sound better than just tuning each down. and he said not to do A-D-G-B-E-A but to actually tune each one using harmonics. Did he have me tune to a different frequency?

Mr.Rodgers
07-23-2006, 07:07 PM
Use a chromatic tuner...

red star
07-23-2006, 07:37 PM

none of that made sense to me but D G C F A D is not half step tuning. that is whole step down tuning. those numbers i believe are the pitch of the note so that you dont have to start in standard tuning. the tuning he told you to do is definatly not half step down tuning. half step tuning does not start with A

SilentDeftone
07-23-2006, 07:39 PM
ONLY Tuning Thread in Guitar & Bass Basics.

A half step down tuning would be Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb.

-SD :dance: