HPL body

PDA

View Full Version : HPL body

Rib5
07-25-2006, 08:23 AM
I just got a new guitar last night and I love it (Marting DX1). I played a bunch in the shop and this one sounded best to me for the price.

One thing I was wondering about was I just read today that it has an HPL body. I guess that is fake wood or something like that right? Also does the back of the guitar and sides make a big difference in the sound or is the top the most important.

I just feel a little cheated now that I found out my guitar is made out of some fake material because I always though acoustic = natural. But I can't complain because like I said earlier, I picked it for the sound then later found out. Also I have a tendancy to bang up my guitars.

JimmyTone
07-25-2006, 08:51 AM
Fear not.

Acoustic, just means unplugged rather than natural. If you by a real cheap acoustic guitar...none of it is real wood!!

HPL is high pressure laminate. It is an engineered material specific for the task.

With the DX-1 you have a very good pice of kit. Yes it is an entry level Martin. But it is made by a very good company in the USA (not China or Korea). Not sure where you are from but in the UK a DX-1 is around 500. A member of my family runs a guitar shop so i spend a lot of time trying new guitars. You will not find a better sounding guitar for less than 800 -1000.

With the HPL, you do pay a slight penalty with the sound, but as you said it sounds great. The boys at Martin have designed a guitar with a real great bass sound that you can feel through your hole body. Also with HPL comes some benefits, it is harder wearing than wood, it can cope with temperature change far better.

All in all, you probably have athe best guitar you could've bought for the money you spent, so don't worry.....Enjoy it

McFadden
07-25-2006, 10:22 AM
I was playing that guitar this weekend while shopping for a birthday present for myself :D I went to loads of shops looking for an acoustic/electric within that price range, and the Martin had the best feel....and It looks good too! Plus, it's got the fishmann electronics.

I ended up getting a Seagull at the last shop we went to, but it was $100 less and the Martin was a little over my budget. You picked up a sweet guitar , have fun with it......and don't bang it up too bad :peace:

CorduroyEW
07-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Also with HPL comes some benefits, it is harder wearing than wood, it can cope with temperature change far better.

It doesn't twist like wood does and it doesn't crack like wood does the the warping and cracking from wood are fixable. When HPL is exposed to changes in heat and teperature you won't notice any problems for quite a while and then all of a sudden the whole guitar will just fall apart. The reason is that the glue that holds the HPL together disolves with moisture, melts in high teperatures, and it gets brittle in low teperatures. All of these things are ways the guitar can desitigrate from the inside out.

What I'm trying to say is that you still need to be very carful with a HPL guitar. The damage that hapes to an all wood guitar is more obviouse but the damage done to an HPL guitar will hurt you more in the long run.

Rib5
07-26-2006, 03:41 AM
Hmm thanks for the info guys. I put on new strings and was then playing the guitar for a long time today and I couldn't be more happy with it. I read the booklet that came with it also and it said about how heat + humidity can screw up the glue, so I was wondering.

I am going on vacation to an island in the Carribean Sea (mile off of Venezuela) and I really badly want to take my guitar and play it outside and on the beach. Is this a bad idea or should it be ok as long as I keep it in the shade and in its case when I am not playing it. I still have the old acoustic I replaced but I like this guitar so much more I don't even want to play it anymore.

I personally think I should be ok because I know people play guitars on Hawaii and stuff, unless they get some special guitars. Let me know what you guys think.