The Iron Butterfly Information Thread

PDA

View Full Version : The Iron Butterfly Information Thread

chopps00
08-01-2006, 01:07 PM
I had never heard of Iron Butterfly before I read the Led Zeppelin biography, "Hammer of the Gods". Anyone in here a big fan of Butterfly? What band would you compare them to? What are your favorite songs by them? Albums? What makes this band great?

ReignInBlood666
08-01-2006, 01:12 PM
ever heard of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida?

chopps00
08-01-2006, 01:14 PM
No, I haven't heard anything from them. I wanted to find out more about them to see if a CD by them was worth a purchase. Good tune?

ReignInBlood666
08-01-2006, 01:16 PM
i like it

download some songs and check them out

TheHeartbreaker
08-01-2006, 01:18 PM
They're pretty sick.

Somewhat Psychedelic-Rock, but I enjoy them.

Their most famous song, as ReignInBlood666 said, is In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, so if you haven't heard that before, chances are you've never listened to them.

I have an album of theirs around the house somewhere, and if I overcome it I'll take it out because this thread has inspired me. :D

chopps00
08-01-2006, 01:22 PM
^^^
Thanks. The words "pretty sick" and "Psychedelic Rock" have sold me. Ima get a CD with that song on it...(EDIT)

TheHeartbreaker
08-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Didn't we only mention one song so far? :confused:

pete2112
08-01-2006, 03:20 PM
If you want to hear a good Iron Butterfly album get 'Ball'. I was surprised when I heard it, I only knew Iron Butterfly as the band that played Innagaddavita before. Ball has a lot of good tracks on it with plenty of psychadellic organ. Some of my favorite tracks are Real Fear, Her Favorite Style, and Filled with Fear.

rocknroll blues
08-02-2006, 08:36 AM
Overblown, mediocre, self-aggrandizing, psychedelic jam rock with classical overtones in certain parts and musical masturbation in all.

The Grateful Dead with heavier guitars, less creative talent, and worse vocals.

Got pwn't by Zeppelin, but who didn't, really?

TheHeartbreaker
08-02-2006, 09:29 AM
I think that they're decently good. Definetly not the best band in the world, but I can listen to them and enjoy their music.

I find the story behind In A Gadda Da Vida to be quite humerous.

REBARMAN99
08-02-2006, 09:37 AM
Other bands to check out if you like Iron Butterfly
Blue Cheer
Moby Grape

TheHeartbreaker
08-02-2006, 09:47 AM
I forgot about those guys...

Basically, if you want similar bands, look into bands from San Francisco who came out in the Psychedelic/Acid Rock Era - you know, bands like...

The Grateful Dead
The Jefferson Airplane
Quicksilver Messenger Service

and as mentioned...

Blue Cheer
Moby Grape

The Butterfly was actually formed in San Diego (where I was fairly recently on vacation :D ), though.

BlueOyster23
08-02-2006, 03:35 PM
Believe it or not, I was huge into Iron Buttterfly before I found BOC. They have this awesome vibe to them.

They're kind of psychedelic/acid rock and supposedly help to engineer early metal stylings.
All in all, they're a decent band to listen to, but I would personally recommend 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida' for newcomers.

My dad actually met the bassist(who wrote "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida")once, and a few moths later, the bassist disappeared, nobody knows what happened...kind of creepy. You can Google it and find a bunch a long ass websites on it.

chopps00
08-03-2006, 12:00 AM
Blue Oyster Cult is one of my favorite bands ever. I love the way the treat the vocals, and I love Dharma's playing. I like the Jefferson Airplane, but I never really got into the Grateful Dead...didn't put too much effort into it, I guess. Never heard of the other mentioned bands, but I've probably heard some of their music.

What are some good songs by The Grateful Dead and the others? I liked Iron Butterfly, got a few songs by them that I did in fact recognize. They sound like BOC.

Weird thing that their bassist disapeared...maybe a Syd Barret like incidence, only more secretive?

Thanks for the help!

TheHeartbreaker
08-03-2006, 09:20 AM
If you're looking to find some material by The Grateful Dead, I'd highly recommend some Live Albums such as...

Live/Dead (The Golden Road)
One from the Vault

and...

Dick's Picks 1-36

They have many other Live Albums you can pick up, whether they be official releases or bootlegs.

While not as popular with their Studio Albums, there are a few that stand out...

American Beauty
Blues for Allah
In the Dark

You claim you know about Jefferson Airplane, so I won't need to make any recommendations...

I find that Quicksilver Messenger Service is almost like a mix between The Airplane and The Dead, in that they sound very similar to The Airplane, yet they jam like The Dead.

I only have a few of their albums at the moment, but I already enjoy them quite a bit. Their lead guitiarist, John Cipollina, was very talented.

The one stand-out album of theirs I have is Happy Trails.

I am personnaly not very familiar with either Blue Cheer or Moby Grape, though my dad has many Moby Grape albums. Despite this, I haven't listened to them much.

BlueOyster23
08-03-2006, 03:03 PM
Blue Oyster Cult is one of my favorite bands ever. I love the way the treat the vocals, and I love Dharma's playing. I like the Jefferson Airplane, but I never really got into the Grateful Dead...didn't put too much effort into it, I guess. Never heard of the other mentioned bands, but I've probably heard some of their music.

What are some good songs by The Grateful Dead and the others? I liked Iron Butterfly, got a few songs by them that I did in fact recognize. They sound like BOC.

Weird thing that their bassist disapeared...maybe a Syd Barret like incidence, only more secretive?

Thanks for the help!

They are kind of like BOC...

The thing about their bassist, though, was that this guy was supposedly a genious, and I believe he had his own coporation. He was evidently working on something and discovered some revolutionary idea(something like chaos=perfect order, or something like that). He disappeared one day, while driving down a highway, and before he did he made several calls to his family and friends. Some think he was abducted by the government, while others think he went away to join a bunch of Native Americans, and I'm sure there's an alien conspiracy about it too.

TheHeartbreaker
08-03-2006, 03:38 PM
That's sort of eerie...

BlueOyster23
08-05-2006, 01:10 PM
http://www.skeptictank.org/kramer.htm

There's a little article on the conspiracy. Forget the occasion spelling errors in it, though.
I found a longer, more in depth one before, but I can't find it anymore.

May bad, though, it turns out that this guy isn't the same guy who my dad saw.

chopps00
08-08-2006, 01:21 PM
They are kind of like BOC...

The thing about their bassist, though, was that this guy was supposedly a genious, and I believe he had his own coporation. He was evidently working on something and discovered some revolutionary idea(something like chaos=perfect order, or something like that). He disappeared one day, while driving down a highway, and before he did he made several calls to his family and friends. Some think he was abducted by the government, while others think he went away to join a bunch of Native Americans, and I'm sure there's an alien conspiracy about it too.

Damn government. Conspiring with aliens.

:mad:

After reading the article...what if he figured out how to use the matter transport device, and it didn't work so well? Maybe it malfunctioned and blasted his matter to oblivion?

jimmyjimjim
08-08-2006, 01:33 PM
or maybe hes just partying with our peeps on other planets? i would just transport myself around earth.

if iran did take him, they sure havent accomplished much since then.

hold on, read this: http://elvispelvis.com/philipkramer.htm

BlueOyster23
08-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Actually, it turns out that in 1999m some hikers found the green van at the bottom of a cliff, wit human bones, and his driver's liscense. His dental records were clarified too, but that could have been a cover up too.

Dante's Inferno
08-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Although Iron Butterfly seems rarther unknown, the In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida album has actually sold over 4 million copies. The song was also featured in The Simpsons, where the band was disguised as "I. Ron Butterfly".

TheHeartbreaker
08-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Actually, it turns out that in 1999m some hikers found the green van at the bottom of a cliff, wit human bones, and his driver's liscense. His dental records were clarified too, but that could have been a cover up too.

Oh... Haha...

Pharoah
08-08-2006, 11:29 PM
There one of my favourite bands. In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida is the best song of all time imo.

They were featured on 100 Greatest One Hit Wonders on VH1. Right with Gary Numan and Thomas Dolby. All 3 are my favourite muscians. If you like Iron Butterfly, try the other 2 I listed.

jim morrison714
08-11-2006, 02:45 PM
in-a-gadda-da-vida's a great song and i love the guitar but i don't like his voice

it was originally supposed to be "in the garden of eden"

BlueOyster23
08-11-2006, 04:18 PM
^Yeah, but he was drunk when he said it, and the band liked it because it a mysterious sound to it.

TheHeartbreaker
08-11-2006, 09:52 PM
Yeah, I love that. :haha