Jimi Hendrix

PDA

View Full Version : Jimi Hendrix

guitar135
08-01-2006, 03:12 PM
Alright, I am the only person who is sick of people saying Jimi is overrated? He was an amazing guitarist. He covered Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band like the day it came out. So what if Purple haze is just a three chord riff type thing. so is nirvana, and led zeppelin and many more. thats how music is made. if you dont like that or random music thats just completely shredding like Yngwie Malmsteen what do you like? also malmsteen is amazing and there arent many people even close to as good as him

jroserocks835
08-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Yea, as long as there are people who say how great hendrix was there will allways be people who just want to disagree so they say he's overrated :-/

dakota1211
08-01-2006, 03:17 PM
i like jimi but he wouldnt be as great as he is supposedly is now if he didnt rip off a lot of unwell known jazzy/blues bands/artists.
i understand when bands remake an old classic song but when you start doin it to little artists/bands over and over.
ill still listen to him and all i think he is good at guitar but w/e.

hepzibahbaptist
08-01-2006, 03:19 PM
yeah
theyre will always be those people
we just have to shoot them
:gun:

firebridge
08-01-2006, 03:20 PM
agreed hendrix is awsome and plus all the shred guitarists say that hendrix was thier biggest influence-malemsteen,vai,satriani.so there you go

TheUltimateSin
08-01-2006, 03:21 PM
*sigh* It's their opinion to think Jimi is overrated. So you are in turn saying you are sick of people having a different opinion than yours. Narrow-minded elitist bull****.

Also, use Search next time. We don't need to add another Hendrix thread to the 29357 already in existence here.

pumpkins_rule
08-01-2006, 04:12 PM
No he's definitely overrated.

clapton-floyd
08-01-2006, 04:18 PM
I would like to quote myself:

I loath Hendrix, this is going to create a huge stir, but, he may have made some good riffs, but he was only famous because it was fashionable to like him at the time, and, I bet most of you on here could knock out all of his riffs rather well if we put it all together. He was revolutionary, and therefore considered the greatest, however, he isn't, he was just that, a revolutionary. Che Guevera was a revolutionary, but he wasn't the greatest, the most well known revolutionary, yes, just like Hendrix. Most people say Jimi, cos he is the ONLY guitarist they know of, literally. Sorry to all you Hendrix fans out there, he was good, very good, but not the greatest.

Prophet of Page
08-01-2006, 04:20 PM
Alright, I am the only person who is sick of people saying Jimi is overrated? He was an amazing guitarist. He covered Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band like the day it came out. So what if Purple haze is just a three chord riff type thing. so is nirvana, and led zeppelin and many more. thats how music is made. if you dont like that or random music thats just completely shredding like Yngwie Malmsteen what do you like? also malmsteen is amazing and there arent many people even close to as good as him

Um, firstly, Malmsteen is far from random guitar wankage. IMO, he's a far better composer than Hendrix could have ever hoped to be, and his Concerto Suite for Electric Guitar and Orchestra is a testament to this.

Also, just because you like something doesn't mean it's not over rated.

agreed hendrix is awsome and plus all the shred guitarists say that hendrix was thier biggest influence-malemsteen,vai,satriani.so there you go

Nope, Malmsteen claims that classical composers Paganini and Bach were his two biggest influences overall, and in his early days claim that Blackmore was his biggest guitar related influence, a statement he later retracted after Blackmore constantly bad mouthed him. Vai's biggest influence according to himself was Frank Zappa, who mentored him when he was younger. Satch claims Hendrix was his biggest influence, but one in three is a score nobody should brag about.

And I'm not that much of a Malmsteen fan for anybody thats going to comment, I'm just defending the guy because he gets alot of unfair bashing around here.

chopps00
08-01-2006, 05:53 PM
I'm sick of these threads. If you say Jimi Hendrix is overated, you don't even know what your talking about. You might not like him, but a slew of guitarists that Jimi Hendrix competed against including Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Pete Townshend, and George Harrison (and the rest of the Beatles) said, even before he made an album, that he was the best guitarist they had ever heard and that he must be signed to a label. I'd say those are some pretty high profile guys who know what they're talking about. I got this information from a biography on Hendrix and I've read Clapton articles where he says it too. When Hendrix died, Clapton said he wished it would have been him instead. These guys wanted Hendrix to cover their songs. They loved him.

Stop being stupid. If you could play an eighth as good as Hendrix you'd be making millions in a world famous rock band. So shut up.

TheUltimateSin
08-01-2006, 06:06 PM
I'm sick of these threads. If you say Jimi Hendrix is overated, you don't even know what your talking about. You might not like him, but a slew of guitarists that Jimi Hendrix competed against including Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Pete Townshend, and George Harrison (and the rest of the Beatles) said, even before he made an album, that he was the best guitarist they had ever heard and that he must be signed to a label. I'd say those are some pretty high profile guys who know what they're talking about. I got this information from a biography on Hendrix and I've read Clapton articles where he says it too. When Hendrix died, Clapton said he wished it would have been him instead. These guys wanted Hendrix to cover their songs. They loved him.

Stop being stupid. If you could play an eighth as good as Hendrix you'd be making millions in a world famous rock band. So shut up.

*sniff* Ah, I love the smell of fresh moron in the morning. :)

*ahem*
It's called an OPINION, jackass. If someone wants to think so and so is overrated, there is nothing wrong with that. To call their opinion wrong is to be an ignorant, elitist douchebag(such as what you just displayed). I, personally, don't like Jimi. I think he gets way too much hype(just like Page does). Did he have skills? I think he did. Does that warrent all of the ass-kissery he gets? I think not.

and For your information, I know "slews" of people who have never even heard of Hendrix, and another "slew", who think he downright sucks. Do I piss and moan at them for it? No. Because It's not my place to force my opinion on everyone else. Asshat.

David w
08-01-2006, 06:12 PM
He wasnt the most technical guitarist, as there are loads of people technically better than him, but what he did was something copletely new at the time, and he has inspired many guitarists since.

But, everyone is allowed an opinion, so if they dont like him, fair play to them, as at least they can form their own opinion.

For the record, he is my favourite guitarist, and possibly my biggest influence.

bluesbreaker59
08-01-2006, 07:00 PM

*ahem*
It's called an OPINION, jackass. If someone wants to think so and so is overrated, there is nothing wrong with that. To call their opinion wrong is to be an ignorant, elitist douchebag(such as what you just displayed). I, personally, don't like Jimi. I think he gets way too much hype(just like Page does). Did he have skills? I think he did. Does that warrent all of the ass-kissery he gets? I think not.

and For your information, I know "slews" of people who have never even heard of Hendrix, and another "slew", who think he downright sucks. Do I piss and moan at them for it? No. Because It's not my place to force my opinion on everyone else. Asshat.

:golfclap:

DeSean
08-01-2006, 07:06 PM
Eric Clapton > Jimi Hendrix

Johnsonville
08-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Jeff Beck>Eric Clapton>Jimi Hendrix

TheHeartbreaker
08-01-2006, 08:56 PM
I hope this gets closed...

bluesbreaker59
08-01-2006, 09:10 PM
^yes, this thread has no purpose.

ZoSoII_13
08-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Everyone just needs to cut this whole better than/worse than, Over/underrated crap. Theres plenty of opinions to go around. Just let people voice them without trying to rebuke their statements.

TheHeartbreaker
08-01-2006, 10:43 PM
Exactly, and I'm sick of posting my same opinion over and over again.

one_of_a_kind
08-01-2006, 10:53 PM
I would like to quote myself:

I loath Hendrix, this is going to create a huge stir, but, he may have made some good riffs, but he was only famous because it was fashionable to like him at the time, and, I bet most of you on here could knock out all of his riffs rather well if we put it all together. He was revolutionary, and therefore considered the greatest, however, he isn't, he was just that, a revolutionary. Che Guevera was a revolutionary, but he wasn't the greatest, the most well known revolutionary, yes, just like Hendrix. Most people say Jimi, cos he is the ONLY guitarist they know of, literally. Sorry to all you Hendrix fans out there, he was good, very good, but not the greatest.

i just have to say hendrix can kick claptons, and i have to say cream was hesitent to play with him incase he showed em up, and it wasnt always fashionable to listen to him, not with the gypsys and such so shut ur mouth he was great. i hope u get forced to listen to him for hours straight til u relize it !

TheHeartbreaker
08-01-2006, 10:55 PM
You can't force somebody to like a certain type of music.

one_of_a_kind
08-01-2006, 10:56 PM

*ahem*

**** you, hendrix was and still is great

TheHeartbreaker
08-01-2006, 11:09 PM
But he's dead?

:confused:

chopps00
08-02-2006, 01:27 AM

*ahem*

I'm stating my opinion too. :D

Asshat? :eek:

Is your slew of friends Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, The Beatles, Bob Dylan and Pete Townshend? If so, I think they know considerably less about guitar playing. Its not ass-kissing, its respect. Whether you like Jimi's music or not is irrelevant.

If you don't like Hendrix thats super. Your missin out, dude.

TheUltimateSin
08-02-2006, 01:57 AM
If you say Jimi Hendrix is overated, you don't even know what your talking about.

Did you even realize what you were saying there?? Hello? Anyone home?? That's not "stating you're opinion" that is called "elitist bull****". :)

Don't take this in the wrong tone though(I know it's hard to tell, being the internet and all). I'm just trying to bring to your attention a very dangerous statement you made. I will admit that a huge ranting paragraph isn't the way to do it, so I'll try it this way. Be careful how you word things ;)