Strongest String?

PDA

View Full Version : Strongest String?

mentalyinsane72
08-02-2006, 03:27 AM
I need to find out which strings are strongest. I decided to get creative with my Floyd Rose today...but then...the strings started comming uncoiled. I would like to know what you would recommend as the strongest string out there.

Thanks
Cody.

esp_shredder
08-02-2006, 03:30 AM
If your strings start becoming uncoiled..

Its not the string..

Its because you didnt wind them tight enough..

santhony1987
08-02-2006, 03:33 AM
That really shouldn't happen to any strings that are less than 3 months old... All strings need replacing. I dunno what the "strongest" strings are but i've never broke a string using the floyd rose. Just make sure you buy good non-cheapo brands like d'addario, ghs or ernie ball... The EB slinkys are me favorite... I've only ever snapped them strings across a fret from wear...

TheFluffy
08-02-2006, 03:33 AM
GHS boomers.

Zack Wylde low tune set.

.11-.70

Clay Treznum
08-02-2006, 03:34 AM
i've never came close to breaking a string using GHS boomers. and i've bent up many notes 2 1/2 steps.

mentalyinsane72
08-02-2006, 03:36 AM
Oh. I Meant that the string is becoming unwound at the bridge, in the saddle.

esp_shredder
08-02-2006, 03:38 AM
at the bridge????

how can a string unwind at the bridge???

Do you mean..on the tuner?

mentalyinsane72
08-02-2006, 03:40 AM
I mean the string itself. It unwound or uncoiled or what ever. Where the string streches out a lot. I don't know the "official" term for it.

esp_shredder
08-02-2006, 03:42 AM
yeah dude..

it dosent matter how much it streches..

you should have your string wound up REALLY tight and then it wont even come close to coming undone.

so you dont need to stronger strings. and you just need to make sure you wind them up tighter and try not to get more than 3 wraps on your 4th 5th and 6th strings..

Demagogue01
08-02-2006, 03:42 AM
That really shouldn't happen to any strings that are less than 3 months old... All strings need replacing. I dunno what the "strongest" strings are but i've never broke a string using the floyd rose. Just make sure you buy good non-cheapo brands like d'addario, ghs or ernie ball... The EB slinkys are me favorite... I've only ever snapped them strings across a fret from wear...

Really, ive had horrible encounters with ernie ball slinkys. I was snaping those bastards left and right, then i switched to D'addario XL and have never had a problem since. But like fluffy said, those Zakk Wylde strings are really thick and real tought. Only problem is they're too big for the floydrose, a buddy of mine put those on his and it broke the nut off and damaged the bridge

Demagogue01
08-02-2006, 03:46 AM
I mean the string itself. It unwound or uncoiled or what ever. Where the string streches out a lot. I don't know the "official" term for it.

I know what youre talking about. I had that problem once before. On my guitar it was the island that was too shard and cutting the string causing that. The D'addario strings i use are wrapped extremely extra down there and the extra wrapping seems to be keeping it from severing

Milit
08-02-2006, 03:46 AM
perhaps he means that the winding is coming away from the centre like a spring round a wire

mentalyinsane72
08-02-2006, 03:49 AM
Well the strings i had on this were the D'addario XL's and I've only had them on for a week or so. And again. Its not that its unwining. The string itself is unwinding. like the threads. like you know how the lower string is like a string coiled up. Well the coil came unraveled. so Therefore there is not a string at the spot anymore.

November Now
08-02-2006, 03:51 AM
strongest strings have to be elixers.

Milit
08-02-2006, 04:25 AM
i would imagine it was maybe just a defective string, unless anyone else has experienced this?

fridge_raider
08-02-2006, 06:16 AM
I know i haven't... never even heard of it happening to anyone I know. Get new strings.

Invictious
08-02-2006, 06:26 AM
That has happened to me before, it is due to winding and rewinding the strings by the tuning pegs, and HARD STRUMMING OR PICKING (like me, gah) and it uncoils the wounding on the strings.

That happened to my elixirs, but not to my custom taylored strings (.070s :D), it didn't happen to my Ernie Balls too, but elixirs last a long time provided that you don't strum the hell out of it.

swordyboy
09-01-2007, 11:53 AM
I know i haven't... never even heard of it happening to anyone I know. Get new strings.

My kh 202 has a floyd rose and it does exactly the same.Once i have inserted the string (mine are the E and A strings) into the string locking block and saddle, i tighten the string lock down screw and everything seems fine. Yet when i tune it up, or use the tremelo in both directions they uncoil at the saddle. It seems like the string cant handle the pressure of being held down so it uncoils to release it. Im not sure if its down to the strings, but i have ghs's and and ernie ball on the low E, which i know are reliable. The saddle does not look abrasive and it seems to be the tension and that pulling the coil out of the guitar. The other four strings are fine so its not the setup.

Peanut1614
09-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Well the strings i had on this were the D'addario XL's and I've only had them on for a week or so. And again. Its not that its unwining. The string itself is unwinding. like the threads. like you know how the lower string is like a string coiled up. Well the coil came unraveled. so Therefore there is not a string at the spot anymore.

I've had it happen to old strings, its a normal thing when they get old. Never a new one though...

swordyboy
09-01-2007, 02:24 PM
I've had it happen to old strings, its a normal thing when they get old. Never a new one though...

Do you have any other ideas? Its well annoying, i cant even play coz it looks feels like the string will break.