punk bass lines?

PDA

View Full Version : punk bass lines?

mcra7xra
08-05-2006, 06:22 PM
i need help with punk bass lines. i can play maxwell murder by rancid, and other complicated stuff (mostly the solo), but i cant make anything up.

horazonblade
08-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Thats cause you sit in your room and read tab all day. Learn scales, play by ear, anything spontaneous, you will get better with time

mcra7xra
08-05-2006, 06:28 PM
i do play by ear. most of the time, actually. i do use tab when it's confusing, but i just cant make up stuff.

LJTPerry
08-05-2006, 06:30 PM
Learn Scales. If you play with a guitarist, learn what he plays and how you can accompany that with the bass.

mcra7xra
08-05-2006, 06:32 PM
i am a guitarist. and a bassist. both. YOU'RE NOT HELPING! YARGH!

LJTPerry
08-05-2006, 06:36 PM
LEARN SCALES AND USE THE BASS TO ACCOMPANY THE GUITAR RIFFS IS ALL THE HELP I CAN GIVE YOU BECAUSE PUNK MUSIC IS FAR TOO SIMPLE FOR ANY OTHER EXPLINATION. Jeebus Chris, I wanna flame this guy.

mcra7xra
08-05-2006, 06:38 PM
is there a flaming thread? i was in there the first five minutes i joined on pulseofthemaggots.com. heeheehee.

and i cant think of any punk songs on guitar either. it's all either crap or been done a million times before.

LJTPerry
08-05-2006, 06:41 PM
That's what punk music is all about, crap, or stuff that's been done a million times already. That's why they call it punk music - Because it sucks.

weezer_afi
08-05-2006, 06:42 PM
NOFX!

try some of there stuff

LJTPerry
08-05-2006, 06:43 PM
He wants to write his own music.

mcra7xra
08-05-2006, 06:45 PM
That's what punk music is all about, crap, or stuff that's been done a million times already. That's why they call it punk music - Because it sucks.
GASP! you evil person. i-DON'T LIKE YOU!
heheh.

weezer_afi
08-05-2006, 06:45 PM
ohh woopsies, umm yeah scales pretty much and listen to NOFX umm yeah. and do stuff fast, pretty much all punk is...

LJTPerry
08-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Punk music sucks. listen to metal, rock, or classic rock.

pink chili
08-05-2006, 07:23 PM
dude only way to be able to make your own stuff is to learn scales and know waht is happenign in music... just learn theory it will help

Ghostmice4542
08-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Cach 22, streetlight menifesto, rencid but none of its realy hard to play. Iwould defently learn theory it will take you alot further. Also try not to stick to one genre try some chili peppers. Also look into how you can fuse different styles into punk to make something a bit more original like regain youth which are a jazz punk band. Bass for dummies will help as well.

llanafreak44
08-05-2006, 09:14 PM

**** you punk music has hard as hell bass riffs, where as rock the bass does the same thing as guitar except solos and with just one string

kirbyrocknroll
08-05-2006, 09:23 PM
Respect other people's tastes. And if you are going to say that, at least back yourself up :rolleyes:

**** you punk music has hard as hell bass riffs, where as rock the bass does the same thing as guitar except solos and with just one string
I don't listen to punk, so that may be true, but rock doesn't always follow the guitar. Listen to some Primus and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

And to learn to make your own stuff, I highly suggest that you learn theory.It is really very helpful when you are writing your own material.

Incubus_SCIENCE
08-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Guys, drop LJTPerry. I already warned him for the flaming...

You can't force music out of you. You can't just sit down one day and be like "I feel like writing a song!". Pretty much every good song written was written for a better reason than to just try writing. If you are writing about something you believe in, or feel, then it will turn out good. If you are just writing to be in a band or whatever, thats cool too. It will just be harder to write, and the preformance will not be as true.

There are no guidelines to writing, since it is your material. Listen to your favorite bands, and combine them to create something original of your own. This is just my opinion, and I hope you kind of understand what I'm getting at.

Punk is about going against the flow, and the mainstream. So follow that same writing ethic. Write a song that sounds as though it goes against the mainstream, whilst writing about what you believe is right. Theory and such helps make the songs more melodic and "audibly pleasing", but it really just comes down to your own creativity. The guys in Rancid didn't sit down with a theory book and make equations bassed on scales to come up with their songs, and a lot of them are great tunes.

MX4Life
08-05-2006, 11:43 PM
Get bored and put progressions together. That's an easy way to make music. It's all experimenting. Don't listen to that crazyass telling you not to listen to punk. I don't care how simple the basslines are, if it pleases you to hear it, listen to it.

Let me tell you this, too. Try to have lyrics before you write. It's alot harder to write lyrics to a tune than write a tune to lyrics.

Scard
08-06-2006, 12:23 AM
dude...sit down with your bass and play....and imagine what you're playing with accompaniment...don't worry about theory or scales if you don't want to...just sit and think. Trust me...slayer isn't punk..but they write good music and rarely follow any scales...or at least any normal scales..

Bumper
08-06-2006, 12:43 AM
A great way to expand on punk basslines, is to try and use other styles to make it sound a bit fresher. In the song Ebin by Sublime Eric Wilson plays a blatantly ska bassline over the punk guitar. In my experience with punk bands, playing walking basslines, jazzy fills, sparse diads, and various intervals (mostly 3rds and 7ths) will do wonders to freshen up any root note bassline.

mcra7xra
08-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Cach 22, streetlight menifesto, rencid but none of its realy hard to play. Iwould defently learn theory it will take you alot further. Also try not to stick to one genre try some chili peppers. Also look into how you can fuse different styles into punk to make something a bit more original like regain youth which are a jazz punk band. Bass for dummies will help as well.
yeah, i have tried some chilli peppers and other stuff. i'm tryin to write some punk right now though... i play lots of different stuff, too.

Welsh Guitar
08-06-2006, 04:26 PM
I know im gonna get killed for this lol, but the bass pattern used in the intro of Carousel Bbe *don't kill me don't kill me* blink-182 is really cool, and easy to rip off haha.

mcra7xra
08-06-2006, 04:28 PM
i wont kill you. i rip off almost every band at some point.

Welsh Guitar
08-06-2006, 04:29 PM
thanks, but seriously, carousel, blink-182

mcra7xra
08-06-2006, 04:35 PM
i don't have it and i can't listen to it anywhere.

Welsh Guitar
08-06-2006, 04:37 PM
TRy and download it, try limewire, or even www.yourmp3.net . I dunno if they gotit there though. Just try

SocKo?
08-06-2006, 05:01 PM
k well first, what kind of punk are you looking at here? modern punk is pretty simple, it generally follows a 4 note progression, played in 8ths. so for example... hell song by sum 41, G#, E, B, F#. and im gonna assume you know your notes, if not, learn your scales damnit.

bass in punk music is very very simple. you hold up the rhythm by basically playing the root notes at 8ths. but if u want to write complicated junk, then you'll HAVE to learn your scales, and some basic music theory atleast. and if you want it somewhat melodic, then you'll hav to have a purpose behind the song.

mcra7xra
08-06-2006, 05:18 PM
i'm trying to make up old-style punk, like rancid does. stuff like black flag, minor threat, misfits, and bad brains. yes.

V333
08-07-2006, 02:12 PM
Well actually here is how I do it.
I try to figure out how the musicians I like write there songs and why they sound similar apart from the tone. For example......
Flea outlines the chord tones aggressively [punk influence] and uses funk techniques and rhythms [popping and slapping]
So I would learn to pop and slap and practice exercises. Learn arpeggios of the common chords. Learn how to apply them in key or with chords [learn theory] Then I would learn to write my own chord progressions. Then I practice like hell to a couple of band in a box jam tracks. Writing bass lines or improvising [which is just on the spot song writing]

So just do that with the style of your favourite artists.......... ;)

mcra7xra
08-07-2006, 04:18 PM
i'm confused...but i think i get it. thanks.

mister389
08-07-2006, 06:06 PM

if i knew where u lived you would have a KA-BAR in your neck right now.