-squier bass
-and fender jagstang (kurt cobain signature series) :D

deadmansdiary
08-05-2006, 08:30 PM
randalls have good distortion grungy sounds

either the 75 watt or 100 watt

Pearson
08-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Arg, heres some advice. Make your own style, try out amps see what sound you like. Really there isnt anyway to find a amp you like other than testing them out. I cant believe people buy the Jagstang, its just a guitar that kurt made, who from what i know, he wasnt no Leo Fender.

ark
08-05-2006, 08:40 PM
i like the tone of fenders for grunge, eventhough its not a must, but you might want to look into a nice fender tube combo. Then throw some over the top distortion, like a ds-1, and bring in a nice fuzz pedal, or a big muff, that'd grunge it up. My advice is to not buy a pedal that says 'grunge' pedal. They are very generic and un interesting IMO. Create your own sound, but yaa, if you wanted to figure somewhere to start, i say fender amps.

thebrewfan
08-05-2006, 11:38 PM
Get a Hotrod Deluxe or a Twin Reverb, something of that nature. Then get a DS-1. If you get the Twin and throw a DS-1 infront of it and you play a fat strat you've basicly got the exact same set up as most songs on Nevermind by Nirvana (without the chorus of course and I'm not sure about the guitar but I know he used that pedal and that amp for recording). If you want a Pearl Jam sound, easy. Twin or the Hotrod then put a TS-9(DX maybe?) infront of it and there you go. Those are usually the two people try for when they say grunge but if its not the case post back and say that its not.

keeponrockin
08-06-2006, 01:31 AM
Get a Hotrod Deluxe or a Twin Reverb, something of that nature. Then get a DS-1. If you get the Twin and throw a DS-1 infront of it and you play a fat strat you've basicly got the exact same set up as most songs on Nevermind by Nirvana (without the chorus of course and I'm not sure about the guitar but I know he used that pedal and that amp for recording). If you want a Pearl Jam sound, easy. Twin or the Hotrod then put a TS-9(DX maybe?) infront of it and there you go. Those are usually the two people try for when they say grunge but if its not the case post back and say that its not.

I'm basically getting the same setup. The clean on the Twin is to die for, and with the right pedals, you will get the distortion sound.

jonnyguitarman
08-06-2006, 10:26 AM
I once saw a blues band and the guy was playin an old strat into an Ibanez tubescreamer into a fender twin and it was one of the best guitar sounds I've EVER heard !

DunlopGuy
08-06-2006, 01:59 PM
i <3 my fender twin and keeley pedals

i don't care what ya say, i can get ANY sound from my setup.

Pieter-Jan
08-06-2006, 02:19 PM
marshall mG!

zekk
08-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Kurt and Eddie (Vedder) used many fender amp's and Duel Rectafiers. More often there tone is based on distortion pedals.

nic_2090
08-06-2006, 03:41 PM
I would say that either a Traynor YCV80 or a Fender Hotrod Deville would be the way to go. Here's a link to the Traynor (with sound clips):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-YCV80Q-Custom-Valve-4x10-Combo-Amp?sku=480962

keeponrockin
08-06-2006, 03:48 PM
The Fender Twin+Tubescreamer is an AMAZING sound.

cubedeathk
08-06-2006, 03:52 PM
Didnt Kurt use a bassman? you could consider one of those

timi_hendrix
08-06-2006, 03:58 PM
marshall mG!

Funny.

zekk
08-06-2006, 04:14 PM
With a Hot Rod youd need a really powerfull Overdrive or distortion pedal.