Chicago

PDA

View Full Version : Chicago

hippieboy444
08-07-2006, 10:49 PM
Chicago is sweet, man! I was turned on to them a month ago (today being like august 8)... and I love 'em! They ****ing rock. Post all coments here.

no spam, and no other threads like this.

TheHeartbreaker
08-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Yeah, Chicago is a pretty sick band.

Sadly, as the original band deteriorated, they began to suck.

The original Chicago was great, and they put out some awesome albums, but now they're just... bad.

psychodelia
08-08-2006, 12:13 AM
They have some sick horn parts. That's the main reason why I listen to them, I just don't hear enough horns in rock (good horn parts, not just background stuff).

freewheelinbird
08-08-2006, 12:24 AM
^agreed, though i've never really listened to chicago, i was thinking about how good horns can be when used TASTEFULLY, like in the stones "rocks off" or maybe "bitch" but how they, when in the wrong hands, can be disgustingly bad.

i have a chicago x on vinyl, but it kinda sucks IMO

TheHeartbreaker
08-08-2006, 08:52 AM
Well, Chicago had some ups and downs.

Some albums were great, others were... not so great.

Of coures whether you like them or not is a matter of opinion, but based on the majority of people's opinions you can judge whether an album is good or not.

Their original guitarist, Terry Kath, accidentally killed himself when he was drunk and high while polishing a gun.

His wife was worried and told him to make sure the magazine was out, so he took it out, and to prove the gun was safe, "shot" it into the air.

Nothing came out.

He put the magazine back in, but didn't **** it, believing no bullet would be cocked into the chamber.

However, he owned a sem-automatic gun, and on most models, including his, when a magazine is inserted the gun automatically "cocks" a bullet into the chamber.

To prove that it was still safe, and put it up to his temple and said, "Don't worry, it's not loaded,", and pulled the trigger - the gun fired and killed him a week shy of his thirty second birthday.

For some reason, a lot of people actually believed (and still do believe) that his death was the cause of a game of Russian roulete.

Even though this was a roulete-style death, he wasn't playing the game, but rather trying to prove the gun was safe as he was polishing it.

hippieboy444
08-08-2006, 01:14 PM
Actually the guitarist was pretending to kill himself. He had a gun to his head, and he thought there wasn't any bullets loaded.......... what a shame to die such a good guitarist.

Even Jimi Hendrix went to there gig once, then went backstage and said to one of there road crew staff "You tell that guitarist that Jimi Hendrix stoped by and said that your better than me."

That's pretty nasty....... nasty meaning sweet.

prsfloyd
08-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Chicago was awesome befor there guitar player blew his head off playing around with a gun.
After that they just made ballads with slow piano's and no guitars.

25 or 6 to 4 is a badass song, sick ass guitar.

TheHeartbreaker
08-08-2006, 10:48 PM
There's a video of Chicago performing 25 or 6 to 4 on some show, but it's on YouTube, which has stopped working for me.

Pharoah
08-08-2006, 11:30 PM
They were the first 'rock' band I listened to. Before, I only like classical music.

Did you know that Jason Sheff (new bassist/vocalist for Chicago) played a cover of Pink Floyd's Run Like Hell? With Vocals.

That'd be cool to hear. He doesnt' seem the type to sing like that haha.

TheHeartbreaker
08-08-2006, 11:52 PM
Like, by himself, or with the band?

societies_worm
08-08-2006, 11:56 PM
you ever notice that the riff from brain stew by green day is the same exact riff as 25 or 6 to 4, pretty weird.

psychodelia
08-09-2006, 12:05 AM
That was the first thing that I thought the first time I heard Brain Stew.

TheHeartbreaker
08-09-2006, 12:37 AM
I've never heard Brain Stew.

bonzo_lives
08-09-2006, 05:08 AM
That riff is the most copyed/used riff of all time from 25 or 6 to 4.
A variation is in Babe im gonna leave you

TheHeartbreaker
08-09-2006, 09:30 AM
During the chorus?

They're similar.

Off the top of my head, the riff in 25 or 6 to 4 is like, a "chromatic" riff, where you play the 5th Fret on the Low E String a few times, and you move lower (to the 4th, 3rd, etc.), until you start over.

Of course, it might vary a little, but you know...

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, in the chorus, starts with (if I remember) correctly, an A minor, and then I think it goes into some type of E Chord, so there's a difference already.

I could be completely wrong, I haven't played the song in forever, so...

bonzo_lives
08-09-2006, 09:35 AM
It has similar vibe and we know page didnt always use regular chords but its similar rythmically aswell i think

TheHeartbreaker
08-09-2006, 11:53 AM
Well, that happens with tons of songs, though.

hippieboy444
08-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Yeah. Hey, whats your favorite song Chicago? Mine's "Beginings"

metaljunkie
08-09-2006, 06:08 PM
i like Make Me Smile...a lot
and a few other love songs
just not Colour My World
i hate that song

jiminizzle
08-09-2006, 07:26 PM
yeah i went to a chicago concert
they are really cool
great songs
i like there songs more like 25 or 6 to 4 or stronger everyday

kmbuchamushroom
08-09-2006, 10:44 PM
That was the first thing that I thought the first time I heard Brain Stew.
I thought I was the only one to think that! :eek: Yesss

JethroTullfan72
08-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Chicago's first few albums were amazing. They had a sound that no other rock band ever had before. Towards the 80's they completely changed their style and they were awful. They still tour and they are terrible now because hardly any of the original members are still there.

hippieboy444
08-10-2006, 07:06 PM
yeah. There best albums definatlly Chicago Transit Authority

Atleast thats where they had there best songs.

TheHeartbreaker
08-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Chicago's first few albums were amazing. They had a sound that no other rock band ever had before. Towards the 80's they completely changed their style and they were awful. They still tour and they are terrible now because hardly any of the original members are still there.

Just like Earth, Wind, and Fire, and what do you know - they're touring together!

millencolin182
10-16-2007, 03:42 AM
I love Chicago we even played some of their songs in the school band, we have a video of 25 or 6 to 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE_Ruc-8GIE

The guy in the long white hair is my teacher :p:

Edit: I'm the one with the white T-shirt playing the solos :cool:

kep189
10-28-2007, 04:17 AM
I saw them this Summer, I though they sounded great. I really like their softer tuff as well, though 25 or 6 to 4 has got to be one of the most underrated solos/songs and rocks ungodly freakin hard. They're awesome, period.

Breakfast_Rock
10-29-2007, 11:53 PM
*cracks knuckles* ... this might be a long post...

Some of my favorites of their songs:

-"Introduction," "Liberation," "Someday," and "Poem 58" from Chicago Transit Authority
-"In the Country," "Wake Up Sunshine," "Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon," "25 or 6 to 4," "It Better End Soon." from Chicago II
-"An Hour in the Shower" from Chicago III
-"Dialogue Part I" and "Dialogue Part II" from Chicago V
-"Feelin' Stronger Everyday" from Chicago VI
-"Aire," "Life Saver," and "Skinny Boy" from Chicago VII
-"Oh, Thank You Great Spirit"(Terry Kath's Pink Floyd-esque tribute to Jimmy Hendrix) from Chicago VIII. It's also worth mentioning that "Hideaway" sounds more like Black Sabbath than Chicago. :p: )
-"Mississippi Delta City Blues" from Chicago XI.

Terry Kath is my favorite guitarist, hands down. While self taught and not educated like the other members, he had no problem improvising and soloing for over ten minutes. He even wrote a few decent songs, though not as prolific as Lamm's or Pankow's writing. Amazing that they still don't have any Kath guitar solos on Guitar Hero....

I would have like to see them back in the early seventies, but I was born a shade over a decade afterwards. :mad:

Anyways, one of the most underrated groups.