Will Classic Rock Ever Rise Again?

PDA

View Full Version : Will Classic Rock Ever Rise Again?

Hardin
08-11-2006, 01:14 AM
Like most people here, I think that the majority of music these days is generic crap, with guitar taking the backseat in most bands. So I turn to classic rock for most of my music. I love the talent, vocals, riff, solos, experimentation, everything that made classic rock what it was.

But will we ever see another generation of bands like classic rock, or will it continue to age? Will it ever become mainstream again?

Arguably some new bands like, for example;Black Crows, Wolfmother, Audioslave, Chili Peppers, etc. are very classic rock influenced, but will we ever see more bands like this?

Not to mention, when was the last great rock guitarist? There are some good ones like Frucistane (can't spell his name) and Morello, but their still not very well known outside the guitar community (most people just know the frontman lol). Where's the next Hendrix? Page? Glimour? Clapton? Beck? Young? Walsh? Harrison? (the list goes on lol)

I dunno...my playing style is 90% CR influenced, and most of the stuff I write is classic rock sounding and inspired. There are probably people and bands just like you and I...but maybe alot of them aren't mainstream yet.

I mean seriously...has their been a riff in the last 15-20 years as good as Heartbreaker or Purple Haze? You'd think after all this time somebody would have thought of one...

mat3305
08-11-2006, 01:23 AM
CHECK OUT MY BAND WE ARE PRETTY CLASSIC ROCK SOUNDNG>

www.myspace.com/unprovokedbearattack

(to lazy to make a link) but if you want just get it from my sig.

indra13
08-11-2006, 01:32 AM
Wolfmother is a really good band. They are heavily influenced by classic rock, and in my opinion their riffs are pretty good and catchy, an instant classic.

As for today's best guitarist, I think that John Frusciante is the closest thing to Hendrix.

I too listen to the classics such as Dire Straits, Deep Purple, Led Zep, Hendrix, and so on...I understand how you feel Hardin, today's mainstream music has been deprived of good guitar skills.

ledhed68
08-11-2006, 01:53 AM
classic rock was an era, so no it wont, but music like zeppelin, stones, and so on will eventually pop up again

Rhinosaur Bones
08-11-2006, 02:09 AM
Do you realise how **** it would be if there was suddenly an enormous amount of bands that sounded just like Led Zeppelin? Sure, there's a lot of bad music around...but then if it was all replaced with "classic rock" that would suck as well; it'd be completely unoriginal and boring. That's why Wolfmother suck...they're the same stuff that's already been done. Also, there are a lot of great guitarists around now - Morello, Frusciante, Jack White, Josh Homme, Troy Van Leeuwen, Steve Turner, Adam Jones, Nick Valensi...it goes on. Just because they're not "known outside the rock community" doesn't mean they aren't amazingly talented.

So in summary, quit complaining.

Riffomatic_5000
08-11-2006, 02:21 AM
Classic Rock is not dead and personally I think that more and more guitarist are being influenced by it, young and old. I for one do not think that all music is bad and not talented this day and time and I know you didn't say that, but I must address that because I know people who think this age of music stinks and that's not true. Rock is making a big comeback. I have been trying to improve my guitar playing all around and I've been trying to add a variety to my sound like Metal, Classic Rock, and Blues. I recently got into Metal and I have to say that I respect the guitars in Metal very much. The solo's and riffs on some Metal songs are amazing. Blues is my main music though. I started playing the guitar using things like the Blues Scale, Turnarounds, and much more. I think that we should keep supporting Classic Rock because it was and is some of the best music ever invented, but we shouldn't give up on Modern music.

TheUltimateSin
08-11-2006, 02:26 AM
Jebus Cripes, not another one of these

clapton-floyd
08-11-2006, 06:13 AM
All of my music is CR influenced, I play CR covers, everything, I find that not much outside CR interests me much. I personally don't like much else, I find the heavy riffs, the original vintage Fenders, and Gibsons, the old Marshalls, and the amazing and unique playing hasn't been matched by any other era of guitar playing.

BigFatSandwich
08-11-2006, 06:37 AM
Like most people here, I think that the majority of music these days is generic crap, with guitar taking the backseat in most bands. So I turn to classic rock for most of my music. I love the talent, vocals, riff, solos, experimentation, everything that made classic rock what it was.
ugh. listen to the diorama cd by silverchair and tell me what's generic about that. if you'd stop being lazy and actually look around, you'd have no problem finding good music today. also, how can you complain about how the music of today is unoriginal, and then turn around and say that all music should try to sound like classic rock?

telex289
08-11-2006, 07:08 AM
i dont think classic rock -sound music will become popular again, but i definately think if people give the music scene some time, it will evolve into what it used to be.. i see it coming, and idk if people feel the same way, but this whole "jamband scene" is becoming huge. people, lots of people, want to become part of it.

honestly, what ruins these scenes are the whole industry. the record companies overpricing albums, ticketmaster/livenation/musictoday completely monopolizing ticket sales, and gas prices make it impossible for people to travel/go see shows. for that reason alone i believe is why bands are having trouble out there.

xX*Zeppelin*Xx
08-11-2006, 08:50 AM
There are plenty of great bands around and have been since the 70s. Music has to go in some kind of direction and if people were still playing classic rock, nothing would have been accomplished. I enjoy listening Classic Rock as much as many of the guys here, but when I'm in the right mood for it. Also, Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes is one of the first things kids learn on guitar these days.

DireStraits
08-11-2006, 09:22 AM
Y'know what man, get off your high horse and learn to love all music. That's what I did, and I've found some bands that I totally love. The times they are a changin', and I don't understand why some of you can't adapt. Who cares if there aren't any, at least what you see as, "Guitar Gods". There are some excellent melodists out there, and I see that as far more important than being able to put together an awesome riff.

And I honestly don't think it will come back. Ever. When will disco come back? I eagerly await that day.

also, how can you complain about how the music of today is unoriginal, and then turn around and say that all music should try to sound like classic rock?

Ugh! You sir, are truly a god! :down:

Maj_Tom
08-11-2006, 10:01 AM
"jamband scene" is becoming huge. people, lots of people, want to become part of it.

What's the jamband scene?

BrainDamage
08-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Arguably some new bands like, for example;Black Crows, Wolfmother, Audioslave, Chili Peppers, etc. are very classic rock influenced, but will we ever see more bands like this?

Not to mention, when was the last great rock guitarist? There are some good ones like Frucistane (can't spell his name) and Morello, but their still not very well known outside the guitar community (most people just know the frontman lol). Where's the next Hendrix? Page? Glimour? Clapton? Beck? Young? Walsh? Harrison? (the list goes on lol) The Black Crowes are awesome. Marc Ford is one of the best guitarists around. Rich Robinson is a pretty decent lead guitarist on his own, but he is a great rhythm player. And how about guys like Derek Trucks and Robert Randolph? Both are great.

honestly, what ruins these scenes are the whole industry. the record companies overpricing albums, ticketmaster/livenation/musictoday completely monopolizing ticket sales, and gas prices make it impossible for people to travel/go see shows. for that reason alone i believe is why bands are having trouble out there. ticket prices these days are out of control. It's getting absolutely rediculous. Ok, $100 is a little up there, but it's reasonable, especially for good seats at a show. It's when tickets are being sold at $200, $300 and even $400 for a single seat...that's out of hand (I can think of two major bands that are currently selling tickets between $260 and $450...thus completely blowing my chances of seeing them).

FreddieMercury
08-11-2006, 10:49 AM
what music is popular in england? because they are the ones who pumped out all the amazing classic bands and in my opinion are the ones who need to restart it

hardrock1315
08-11-2006, 10:54 AM
Ok, $100 is a little up there, but it's reasonable, especially for good seats at a show.
I really hope that's a joke.

And I'm gonna agree with DireStraits on this one.

BrainDamage
08-11-2006, 10:56 AM
^^it's not. Considering what ticket prices are for some other bands, if I can get a 9th row orchestra seat for $100, that's fine with me.

Obviously, some bands are making things a little bit better and charging $30-$60...Allman Bros, Derek Trucks, Peter Frampton, Black Crowes, etc.

TheHeartbreaker
08-11-2006, 12:33 PM
First off - try and be open minded.

You can't say all of today's music is crap without first listening to it.

What you're doing now is generalizing new music based solely upon what you've heard and the opinion you made from that.

Also, Classic Rock cannot and will not, I repeat, CANNOT and WILL NOT, ever "rise again".

Why is this?

The reason for this is simple - Classic Rock is not defined by sound, but is actually an era.

People like you are the reason I made the "What Is Classic Rock to You?" Thread - because for some reason many people think that Classic Rock is defined by sound.

If you took my advice and listened to a lot of newer bands, you'll find that a lot of them sport what you would probably consider "Classic Rock" because they "sound" Classic Rock.

Also, before you start saying, "Green Day doesn't sound like Classic Rock" (or you use some other band name) - first of all, know that there are other new bands besides the ones you hear on the radio or see on the television.

A lot of them aren't mainstream, and usually aren't as well known. Based upon what I read of your post, you seem to believe all mainstream bands are ****.

However, listen to John Mayer, who has two sides of his music. One side is the music that you'll hear on the radio and television, and the other side is the side you aren't likely to hear on either the radio or television.

This "other side" is very blues-influenced, and if you take time to listen to it, you'll find John is a very talented guitarist.

Well, I'm starting to get lost in my ramble, but hoepfully you realize the point I'm trying to make.

telex289
08-11-2006, 12:45 PM
What's the jamband scene?
well the whole scene has been extended from the whole grateful dead "deadhead" scene. so if you want to picture it, picture deadheads.

i mean, people who like all these jambands all drive to these festivals, go get tickets to all the tour dates of their favorite bands, etc.

some of the top bands right now are - moe., widespread panic, the disco biscuits, phish & their current side projects, umphrey's mcgee, tea leaf green, dave matthews band, the string cheese incident. all these bands are absolutely amazing, put on sick shows, and are probably more talented than most modern rock bands today..

the reasno i think its goign to get bigger is because these festivals these bands play at (bonnaroo had 80,000 this year) are being bought by corporations like MTV and fox. why would that matter? well think about it - mtv wouldnt be buynig off festivals like bonnaroo if there was no money involved. they obviously see some financial gain in the future from it.

and want to know what else is funny? alright - what made the whole "classic rock" era possible? i would have to say hippies mainly because they were alongside bands with their politics. now if you look at hippies - guess who they were? rich white kids. ok, now look at *some* of the kids going to these festivals, following these bands around - rich white kids. the reason im pointing that out is becuase people look at the whole thing and say 'oh its just rich white kids following bands around' well, it wasnt much different 40 years ago.

Sherman901
08-11-2006, 03:32 PM
Do you realise how **** it would be if there was suddenly an enormous amount of bands that sounded just like Led Zeppelin? Sure, there's a lot of bad music around...but then if it was all replaced with "classic rock" that would suck as well; it'd be completely unoriginal and boring. That's why Wolfmother suck...they're the same stuff that's already been done. Also, there are a lot of great guitarists around now - Morello, Frusciante, Jack White, Josh Homme, Troy Van Leeuwen, Steve Turner, Adam Jones, Nick Valensi...it goes on. Just because they're not "known outside the rock community" doesn't mean they aren't amazingly talented.

So in summary, quit complaining.

Shut the **** up, idiot.

kaotik420
08-11-2006, 04:25 PM
classic rock had a lot of crappy bands too.. just we don't listen to them anymore.
sure music is more comercialized now, so there's a lot of crappy catchy songs that people make to cash in real quickly (that stupid Paris Hilton song gets stuck in my head everytime i hear it) but they will be forgotten and only the good stuff will remain eventually.

there's still great music coming out, and in 20 or 30 years you'll hear only the good stuff of our generation and think "yeah, we had some good music" just like classic rock does.

*guess i should say "younger" generation instead of "our" generation as i know there's some... i won't say older, i'll say wiser ;) members here. :)

EL Conquestidor
08-11-2006, 04:41 PM
I think syndicated pre-recorded line up Classic Rock radio stations have put a knife in Classic Rocks heart and are twisting it.
They 3 or 4 tapes of what were good songs. But they play the SAME TAPES OVER and OVER until eventually you can't stand the songs anymore. You can often even know by hearing ONE SONG what you'll hear,in order for the next few hours!
If I hear Pink Floyds "Money" or anything from Boston again I may snap and go rock & roll postal.
There's just a BUNCH of great classic rock that with the exception of a very few stations where the DJ ACTUALLY picks the lineup, that are seldom if ever heard anymore.
When's the last time you heard anything off ZZ-Top "Fandango". Or Lou Reeds live "Sweet Jane" w/the killer Steve Hunter/Dick Wagner guitar intro. Or anything but "Sweet Home" and "Freebird" from Skynyrd? Syndicated radio is KILLING Classic Rock!

TheHeartbreaker
08-11-2006, 09:56 PM
Yeah, I'm honestly sick of the radio.

I listen to CDs/my iPod about 95% of the time because the radio plays the same songs over and over.

Rhinosaur Bones
08-12-2006, 01:40 AM
Shut the **** up, idiot.

Wow, you make a really compelling argument. You fucking shitbag.

rx_eb
08-12-2006, 03:05 AM
reported