A question about The Who Sell Out

PDA

View Full Version : A question about The Who Sell Out

928GTS
08-11-2006, 09:46 PM
I noticed that it seems that in many of the songs on The Who Sell Out it seems like the bass and drums and mixed 100% into the left channel which makes them very very hard to hear and I was wondering if anyone has a vinyl copy or an earlier issue of the CD and could tell me if this is true even on their copy. I'm telling you its very annoying to barely be able to hear Keith's manic drumming or Entwistle's bass. I know the remaster of My Generation wasn't like this,whats the deal?

BreakingTheGirl
08-11-2006, 09:53 PM
alot of their stuff is like that.

Bpags868
08-11-2006, 09:55 PM
i have almost every vinyl Who album and yes mine is like that too but if u play it on my record player with my new surround speakers it actually clears the sound up. If u are using higher quality audio systems it can help.

928GTS
08-11-2006, 11:17 PM
Yeah,its annoying when you rip it to mp3 and play it through earphones from your mp3 player. Even good earphones(canalphone,the ones that go IN your ear)can't help the fact that the sound is so squished to one channel. I can see how it'd be a non issue with a speakered system but it makes it hard with headphones.

DieN
08-12-2006, 04:40 AM
I don't have any problems with that issue. I use a "gehttoblaster, though. That + full bass=great sound.

928GTS
08-13-2006, 12:50 AM
Yeah I see,oh well I guess I have to chalk this up to weird studio techniques like how they used to pan Eddie Van Halen's guitar full one channel for most of VH's records. Its the same deal...

ridcullylives
08-13-2006, 12:55 AM
I think whoever produced/engineered the Who's records up until Tommy should be shot...they all sound like crap, and yet the songs are so good...

928GTS
08-13-2006, 01:03 AM
I think whoever produced/engineered the Who's records up until Tommy should be shot...they all sound like crap, and yet the songs are so good...

Yeah I mean I have the remastered version of My Generation and its obvious whoever remastered it did a great job and put the time in to allow each instrument to be fully represented. I mean,that'd be awfully nice if they tugged Pete into the studio and asked him such like "Alright,how loud should the guitar be,where should it be,should we clean it up,etc...". I mean Tom Scholz from Boston PERSONALLY remastered his albums and I find it sort of neat that he'd do that since he helped write and perform the songs and so he'd know what the band and himself were looking for from the beginning.

So yeah,we need to get Roger and Pete in a studio with an engineer ASAP and give these tunes the proper quality they deserve. Basically all I'd want is for the main instruments to not be stuck in a hole on one channel but I don't want them to really sqeaky clean up the sound quality of it. The remastered version of Live At Leeds is really well done and actually HELPS the explosiveness of the recording. I should know,I have that album on vinyl.

ridcullylives
08-13-2006, 01:04 AM
Part of it wasn't the engineers fault...I mean...can you imagine trying to figure out how the hell to record Keith Moon?

928GTS
08-13-2006, 01:06 AM
"I do SAY Keith you are overloading both the mics AND the board,can you PLEASE play softer?"
"Wait...you want me to do WHAT?!"
"Oh never mind lad,bang away..."
"Weeeeee!"
*The engineers watch as Keith Moon mercilessly beats away at his drum set all while the studio meters are pegged healthily into the red.*

ridcullylives
08-13-2006, 01:10 AM
It sounds like he played so loud and crazy that he just blew out the mics....