Concert ticket prices

PDA

View Full Version : Concert ticket prices

EL Conquestidor
08-12-2006, 10:17 AM
How much do think, in todays economy, is a FAIR price to charge for a concert ticket.
Myself, I saw most of the 70's big names for less than $10. And I quit going to concerts when ticket prices went over $25. (Last concert I attended was in 1999). It seems the average price nowdays around here is $30-$40. But then there's the Eagles or Stones tours that go SKY HIGH.
Well, unless SRV rises from the grave for a one night only show, $25. is my limit. And the greedy bastards can kiss my ass.

TheHeartbreaker
08-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Yeah, I honestly think that it's rediculous that some concerts (such at The Eagles) are $100 for ****ty tickets.

Most bands probably charge an average of $50 for good seats, with the really good seats probably closing in on $100.

However, you have to remember that the price of money changed - $10 in the 70s isn't the same as $10 now.

My dad used to tell me he got baseball cards with a piece of gum for about a quarter, and now they're a few dollars.

psychodelia
08-12-2006, 10:24 AM
I don't shell out big money for concerts. I can go to a concert with a friend's band or a local band I know for a few bucks, and have a great time.

Some of my friends think nothing of dropping $50+ for mediocre seats at a show by an old classic rock band, which I think is pretty crazy.

VoodooChild15
08-12-2006, 10:26 AM
I find that most big modern bands charge around $35, whereas up-and-comers charge $18 or $20. If John Lennon and George Harrison were still alive and the Beatles decided to tour, I'd pay today's classic rock ticket prices, but on no other circumstances (well, maybe if it was the same situation with John Bonham).

TheHeartbreaker
08-12-2006, 10:29 AM
When I went to see The Allman Brothers and Lynyrd Skynyrd in 2004, I got great tickets (I believe 8th row) at $65.

A little pricey, but great seats and two bands, so maybe it wasn't that bad of a deal.

psychodelia
08-12-2006, 10:32 AM
The only reason I might consider putting out big money (and even then I'd really have to think about it) would be for a band or artist that is very heavy on improvisation. If I might be able to get to see some great music created, instead of hearing a band essentially being a jukebox, I would be quite tempted to go.

Also, I just used an inflation calculator, and it said $10 in 1970 is worth about $50 in 2005. I don't know how accurate it is, it's right here: http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

a_fallenzero
08-12-2006, 10:34 AM
I know its not classic rock but OZZfest charges around $70 for a lawn seat in the back.

TheHeartbreaker
08-12-2006, 10:38 AM
The only reason I might consider putting out big money (and even then I'd really have to think about it) would be for a band or artist that is very heavy on improvisation. If I might be able to get to see some great music created, instead of hearing a band essentially being a jukebox, I would be quite tempted to go.

Exactly.

I'd pay $100 to see The Allman Brothers Band rather than $50 to see... say, Journey.

Not that Journey is bad, but I don't think that they really improvise or anything.

EL Conquestidor
08-12-2006, 10:46 AM

Also, I just used an inflation calculator, and it said $10 in 1970 is worth about $50 in 2005. I don't know how accurate it is, it's right here: http://www.westegg.com/inflation/
I'm the opposite. I want to see/hear it exactly like I heard it the 1st time. That's why I'll never see the Stones again. IMO they phoned in the concert I saw and butchered their own music. Hey, we GOT THEIR MONEY, what do we care if we put on a decent show. ( I will concede that the Stones St.Louis concert that was made into DVD was DAMN GOOD! I was in STL that night and heard it similcast on the radio).
Ronnie Van Zandt (Lynyrd Skynyrd) felt the same way after seeing a Stones concert. He drilled the boys in Skynyrd to the point that they could play each song EXACTLY the same way, drunk, stoned, or sleeping.
If you like improv, The Gratefull Dead is YOUR BAND. Concerts are basically onstage "noodle fests".

TheHeartbreaker
08-12-2006, 10:54 AM
The Allman Brothers Band can't improvise, man.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not going to go to a Stones show and expect improvising from them, but I'd pay more money to see a band that can improvise (such as The Allman Brothers Band) than less money to see a band that can't.

psychodelia
08-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Yeah, although tightness is important for all the bands. Firstly, I would like a tight band that can improvise, but on the other hand I will take a tight band over an experimental one that isn't together.

TheHeartbreaker
08-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Well, of course.

psychodelia
08-12-2006, 11:07 AM
Just stating the obvious :p:

I really should try to go to more jazz concerts, now that I think about it.

EL Conquestidor
08-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Hank Jr. is another big improv guy. If you go to his concerts to see him do his traditional songs, you'll be HIGHLY dissappinted.

TheHeartbreaker
08-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Same.

I don't really go to many concerts as it is, but my dad goes to a lot - mostly jazz, though.

There's this one bar downtown that has a lot of jazz bands play there. They aren't famous or anything, but who cares?

There was some guy my parents saw recently my dad has a few CDs of... can't exactly remember the name at the moment, though.

telex289
08-12-2006, 11:32 AM
ticket prices are ridiculous.. its sad whats happened to the industry. my dad hasnt been to a concert in years because of this, he used to go to shows all the time.. even just a few years ago prices werent ridiculous. now all these huge corporations (livenation, ticketmaster, musictoday, etc) are completely monopolozing the entire ticketing/venue industry and pumping up ticket prices really high.

and idk why you would want to hear a concert he same the way you heard it the first time. thats just a waste, you would only need to ever see the band once if they were just goign to play the same way they did the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th time you saw them..
im not saying every band has to be like the dead, but seriously thats part of putting on a show.. you suprise the crowd, blow their minds with epic solos, and give them something they've never seen before.

TheHeartbreaker
08-12-2006, 11:39 AM
:cheers:

Exactly.

jim morrison714
08-12-2006, 03:27 PM
ive got $325 front row tickets to see the rolling stones and ill most likely have backstage tickets :D

EL Conquestidor
08-12-2006, 03:51 PM
Well if Keef falls off the stage, do try to catch him. He's getting old you know.

hardrock1315
08-12-2006, 04:12 PM
25, maybe 30 if I'm aching to see the band and also depending on the venue. I don't really think either is fair, though. 15 is really the highest fair price.

TheHeartbreaker
08-12-2006, 06:14 PM
My dad just got tickets today for The Allman Brothers Band.

They are decent seats and are $48.50 a piece.

BlueOyster23
08-12-2006, 08:43 PM
For the thread starter, I think you may have mispelt El Conquistador(Spanish for The Conqueror)...

Anyways, I don't mind coughing out money to see classic concerts, because you don't know if those people could be around tomorrow(i.e. Hendrix, Janis Joplin[though at the time they weren't classic]), or something could happen that may affect them(i.e. Lou Gramm, Steven Tyler).
I gladly paid ___ to see these bands

$50 Bob Dylan & Willie Nelson
$50? B.B. King
$12 Styx & A kick ass local band
$37.50 Alice Cooper
$22 Foreigner

Note, that the only 'bad' seating was for the B.B. concert

TheHeartbreaker
08-12-2006, 09:51 PM
:haha

For some reason, the "?" by the "$50" made me laugh.

That's pretty cool that a local band got to play with Styx.

ledhed68
08-12-2006, 09:56 PM
i got tickets to see The Who for $95, its pretty close to the stage, but still 95 is a s***load of money, but its probably worth it, but then i got tickets to see buddy guy (not classic rock but, eh) for 45 at the Ravinia in Chicago, and they were damn good seats, im expecting buddy guy to put on a better show than the who, but the point of this is that if people are willing to pay 100 bucks for a seat, then businesswise you should do it, but you also will probably not be liked

edit: Wow that was a rather pointless post

TheHeartbreaker
08-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Wow - $95 to see "The Who"?

If it was the original band (or maybe even Pete, Roger, and John), but $95 to see Roger and Pete?

Man... that's expensive.

Buddy Guy is awesome. :D

BlueOyster23
08-12-2006, 10:00 PM
^Well, technically they opened for Styx, but due to the Midwesterness of my state, most people listen to country and local bands.

I'd actually seen the band before, they're like pop meets Tom Petty or The Rolling Stones, with a female vocalist. They've got 2(or 3) albums and have opened for REO Speedwagon too.

But anyways,the thing about concerts is that as long as you get decent seats, there's a good chance you can get in the 'pit' area.

ledhed68
08-12-2006, 10:02 PM
to TheHeartbreaker

yes its expensive, but me and my dad are going and the who never went to Iceland when he absolutely loved them and now its his chance to see them, and i want to go too so we got tickets, but can you believe that its one of the least expensive tickets!!!?!?! :wtf:

BlueOyster23
08-12-2006, 10:16 PM
^I agree, usually if you live in an obscure place(i.e. Iceland, Iowa, any other place that starts with an I) you usually need to jump at a concert, because it might be the only one by the artist there in a long time.

TheHeartbreaker
08-12-2006, 10:18 PM
to TheHeartbreaker

yes its expensive, but me and my dad are going and the who never went to Iceland when he absolutely loved them and now its his chance to see them, and i want to go too so we got tickets, but can you believe that its one of the least expensive tickets!!!?!?! :wtf:

WHAT?!

It sucks your dad never got to see them until there was only the Pete and Roger left.

ledhed68
08-12-2006, 10:42 PM
^to BlueOyster23, well we live in Wisconsin now, so theres way more opportunities now, but still, its Wisconsin

TheHeartbreaker
08-12-2006, 10:52 PM
:haha

Well, you guys have cheese. :)

ledhed68
08-12-2006, 10:57 PM
^very true,

anyways, how long do you guys think the price of tickets will be this high

My theory is that its connected to the gas prices, ITS ALL A CONSPIRACY!!!!

just kidding, but i think that eventually people will stop going to concerts it the ticket prices keep going up

crazynickman
08-12-2006, 11:01 PM
I just saw recently that 18 USD in 1970 is now about $93....the article (I guess it was Wikipedia) was about the Isle of Wight festival and why the crowd was all pissy, so really tickets today should never break 100, but they tend to with big names. Me personally, I have no qualms paying $150-200 to see the Who :D.....:sad:

TheHeartbreaker
08-12-2006, 11:07 PM
^^I was watching the Isle of Wight Jethro Tull documentary, and the people that were in charge of the show wanted the crowd to leave so Tull could have sound check.

Everyone was getting pissy because they would have to pay for tickets.

The band didn't mind them staying, but the workers made it sound like the band wanted them to leave, so Tull's manager bitched as everyone.

ledhed68
08-12-2006, 11:09 PM
^Yea, usually if a band gets bad press, its usually the magamement to blame, not the band itself

crazynickman
08-12-2006, 11:10 PM
^There were mutliple problems with the whole thing but it turned out good for The Who and Jimi hendrix, as usual.

ledhed68
08-12-2006, 11:14 PM
how many of the same festivals did the who and jimi hendrix play. It seems like they always play at the same festivals

TheHeartbreaker
08-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Monterey Pop, Isle of Wight, Woodstock...

Probably more.

futurejp
08-12-2006, 11:39 PM
Well here's a question. Take a 'classic' band that's touring today - Stones, Motley Crue, Aerosmith, etc. Many of these bands have a stage setup that includes ramps that jut out into the audience, many big screens, pyro, effects, etc. And the money that eventually gets to the band has to be split among the (usual) 4 or 5 members, or if you're the Stones, 6.02 x 10^23 members :p:

So, for any of you who are really familiar with the touring business, what's the lowest ticket price that would cover all of these expenses? Some of you said you wouldn't shell out more than 15 bucks from a concert, but I have a hard time seeing how $15 could cover all of the things I've seen at some concerts, and still turn out a profit for the record company & band. Gotta be realistic.

crazynickman
08-12-2006, 11:40 PM
6.02 x 10^23 = a mole! God I actually remembered something from Chem...

freewheelinbird
08-13-2006, 12:05 AM
^very true,

anyways, how long do you guys think the price of tickets will be this high

My theory is that its connected to the gas prices, ITS ALL A CONSPIRACY!!!!

just kidding, but i think that eventually people will stop going to concerts it the ticket prices keep going up

actually there's an article in rolling stone bout gas prices and how some bands are raising their prices to accomodate them.

the allman brothers, however, are not.

jim morrison714
08-13-2006, 01:31 AM
prices are alot but espically the stones $60 bucks is the cheapest but i didn't think they'd come to louisville again so i got tickets ($325 :( ) front row ( :p: )

wilty00
08-13-2006, 01:44 AM
I have no problem shelling out big money to see a band I want to see.... especially if its someone who most likely won't be around again.

I've paid:
100 to Van Halen three years ago
125 to Motley Crue last year
75 to Motley Crue last summer
175 (third row floor) to Motley Crue this April
Box seats so I dunno how much they were but im sure it was a ton to the Eagles last spring
150 to the Red Hot Chili Peppers next month
100 to Aerosmith a few months back
120 to Aerosmith 2 years ago

I'm extremely spoiled, but I can admit it.. I only pay half for the shows I go to and my dad pays the rest so I'm lucky. I'm sure if it was my money I would only pay 100 max to go see a show I REALLY, REALLY want to go to.

Kepulix
08-13-2006, 07:48 AM
Well this is not just about classic rock, mostly anything thats even a little bigger band than usually
they cost around 45 euros at the least, example i would go to see W.A.S.P. live next month but i aint gonna pay 45 for a ticket, when i went to see Metallica on this June, it was 50 euros a ticket... Deep Purple visited here last year, and the tickets were around 50 too
GnR came here for first time in over 10 years and the tickets were 50 euros but still they sold out in a record time, in 5 mins!!

but example B.B. King's farewell tour tickets costed about 100 euros per and a decent place from Pavarotti concert was about 150 euros, front row about 200 euros

so here they're kinda overpriced :/
but i understand it since Finland is kinda hard place to get to and there's only about 5 million ppl here
but still Iron Maiden visits here almost every year or two and they're always sold out

mercedesisbenz
08-13-2006, 08:30 AM
Exactly.

I'd pay $100 to see The Allman Brothers Band rather than $50 to see... say, Journey.

Not that Journey is bad, but I don't think that they really improvise or anything.
i paid 18 bucks for front row journey tickets, but i was willing to shell out 82 bucks to go see eric clapton since he's well... eric clapton. On the other end i also only paid 20 bucks to see B.B. King, sit wherever we wanted in the club, then get to talk to him and his band after the show.

TheHeartbreaker
08-13-2006, 09:11 AM
You got to talk to B.B. King?! :eek:

What's he like?

ledhed68
08-13-2006, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by mercedesisbenz
i paid 18 bucks for front row journey tickets, but i was willing to shell out 82 bucks to go see eric clapton since he's well... eric clapton. On the other end i also only paid 20 bucks to see B.B. King, sit wherever we wanted in the club, then get to talk to him and his band after the show.

I heard that the concerts that BB King has now arent that good, thats still amazing that you got to talk to him, but how was the concert itself

TheHeartbreaker
08-13-2006, 09:35 AM
I've heard that B.B.'s concerts are still good...

Obviously they won't be what they used to be, but I wouldn't imagine them being bad or anything.

Angus77
08-13-2006, 09:42 AM
The Rolling Stones concert that is coming to Halfiax in September is $115, and $500 to sit on the stage...
Also playing at the concert is Alice Cooper, Kanye West, and one other person I believe whom I cannot remember

mercedesisbenz
08-13-2006, 09:49 AM
the whole expierience was amazing his show was just as good as i expected it to be, his playing was just as good as it was 20 years ago for the most part, he seemed like he always had alot to say, really cool person, very laid back.

TheHeartbreaker
08-13-2006, 09:49 AM
Sit on the ****ing stage?

self-made_page
08-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Including tax and "convienence charges" (which have nothing convenient about them) and the cost it took Ticketmaster to e-mail me the tickets ($2, WTF) I paid $67 dollars for my Roger Waters ticket. I guess it's a lot, but I mean, it's Roger Waters.

telex289
08-13-2006, 04:30 PM
****.. roger waters ticket at jones beach and MSG were over 90$...

BlueOyster23
08-13-2006, 05:19 PM
^to BlueOyster23, well we live in Wisconsin now, so theres way more opportunities now, but still, its Wisconsin

Yeah, I live about 30 miles from Wisconsin, and there's always a crapload of concerts there, too bad that their too far for me...f***in' gas prices.

ledhed68
08-13-2006, 05:22 PM
yea, gas prices have screwed america over

TheHeartbreaker
08-13-2006, 07:53 PM
Say thanks to your President, boys.

hippy12
08-13-2006, 09:02 PM
i'd be willing to spend about 50, about $90 i think, to go see a band like cream but i don't really think tickets should ever go over about 20.

TheHeartbreaker
08-14-2006, 08:23 AM
I still really don't understand why some bands like The Rolling Stones and The Eagles charge so much more for their concerts than most other bands do.

Someone mentioned gas prices, but other bands charging only $30 or so are still able to tour.

BrainDamage
08-14-2006, 10:31 AM
I have no problem shelling out big money to see a band I want to see.... especially if its someone who most likely won't be around again.

I've paid:
100 to Van Halen three years ago
125 to Motley Crue last year
75 to Motley Crue last summer
175 (third row floor) to Motley Crue this April
Box seats so I dunno how much they were but im sure it was a ton to the Eagles last spring
150 to the Red Hot Chili Peppers next month
100 to Aerosmith a few months back
120 to Aerosmith 2 years ago

I'm extremely spoiled, but I can admit it.. I only pay half for the shows I go to and my dad pays the rest so I'm lucky. I'm sure if it was my money I would only pay 100 max to go see a show I REALLY, REALLY want to go to. :cheers: I'm the same way. I will say that ticket prices are extremely out of control these days, but I don't have a problem paying $100 to see someone I like. Then again, my dad pays for most of the shows I see, so it doesn't really effect me.

TheHeartbreaker
08-14-2006, 11:25 AM
I never pay for my shows, but then again I don't got to very many like you do.

BrainDamage
08-14-2006, 11:41 AM
I paid:
90 for Aerosmith 2004/06/30
77 for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers with the Black Crowes 2005/06/22
89 for Paul McCartney 2005/10/04
150 for the Rolling Stones (I think) 2005/09/15
180 for Cream 2005/10/24
150 for Aerosmith 2005/11/08, 23 (I had great seats at both shows)
free for Aerosmith 2005/11/10 (a friend got them for me)
42.50 for Black Crowes 2006/07/22
12.50 for John Fogerty 2006/08/05
free for Blues Traveler (it was at Six Flags, and I have a season pass :) )
39.50 for Peter Frampton 2006/10/10
110 for Aerosmith 2006/09/14
100 for James Gang 2006/08/18
free for Foreigner 2006/08/19 (again, at Six Flags)

I'm planning on buying Allman Bros. tickets for $65 this week for the 08/22 show.

TheHeartbreaker
08-14-2006, 11:43 AM
As I said, you're spoiled...

... :rolleyes:

Where the **** do you get that money from?

BrainDamage
08-14-2006, 11:46 AM
^^well...now that I think of it, the only show I actually paid for was the 2005/11/08 Aerosmith show. I offered to pay for the Black Crowes show, but my mom wouldn't let me...so... :p:

I'll probably pay for the Allman Bros. show also.

TheHeartbreaker
08-14-2006, 12:01 PM
My dad just got tickets for them yesterday...

The seats aren't as good as the other year when we saw them, but they're still pretty sweet.

Can't wait. Saturday, man.

Hey, how far are you from Marlboro?

BrainDamage
08-14-2006, 12:04 PM
^^Morganville is in Marlboro Township.

TheHeartbreaker
08-14-2006, 12:06 PM
Hm...

Well, we just had these guys move from Marlboro, so I was wondering...

BrainDamage
08-14-2006, 12:08 PM
^^well, theres the town Marlboro which has a zip code of 07746 and then the town of Morganville which has a zip code of 07751...both are part of Marlboro Township.

TheHeartbreaker
08-14-2006, 12:11 PM
Well, yeah, I figured that.

You don't know anyone from there, do you?

BrainDamage
08-14-2006, 12:13 PM
^^yeah, plenty. People from both towns go to Marlboro High School.

TheHeartbreaker
08-14-2006, 12:15 PM
Sweet, that's where they went!

What year are you?

BrainDamage
08-14-2006, 12:17 PM
^^I'm going into my Junior year.

deadhead313313
08-14-2006, 12:17 PM
David Wilcox - 5 bucks
Donovan - Free
Deep Purple - Free
Bob Dylan/Willie Nelson - 60 bucks, uncle payed for it
Greg Keelor (Blue Rodeo) - 10 bucks

Those are my main ones. Pretty good deals, I'd say

TheHeartbreaker
08-14-2006, 12:19 PM
^^I'm going into my Junior year.

You might know them... They'll be sophmores this year.

I only met two of them (there's four kids, three are triplets).

I'm not sure about their last names, but the guys are named Fernando and Andre.

BrainDamage
08-14-2006, 12:22 PM
^^can't say I know who they are. I don't know anyone named Fernando or Andre :p:

TheHeartbreaker
08-14-2006, 12:39 PM
****. That would've been pretty cool.