I get to see Neil Young tonight!

PDA

View Full Version : I get to see Neil Young tonight!

Hauf
08-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Well fellas "Tonight's the night" (little Neil pawn :) ) that I finally get to see my idol.

I have been waiting for so long to see him and I get to see him tonight at Nissain Pavillion in Virginia at 7:30.

I wish he was by himself though or with crazy horse but the point is, is I get to see him tonight.

Anyway sorry I'm a little excited :dance: :bounce: :wtf:

:down:

flesh fries
08-12-2006, 01:23 PM
keep me searching for a heart of gooohooold

Caustic
08-12-2006, 02:02 PM
Neil Young is awesome. Let us know how it goes.

TheHeartbreaker
08-12-2006, 02:10 PM
That's awesome.

Neil Young is the man. :)

My dad saw him live once a few years ago, and said it was awesome.

EL Conquestidor
08-12-2006, 02:13 PM
Yes, please post a review tomorrow. I too am a big fan of Neil's older music. And I'd like to know if he does much of it in his currents shows.
Personally tho, I think his brain shorted out and left him perminantly stuck in 60's. I haven't heard anything new from him in years that I cared much for. I guess I'm just burnt out on protest songs.

Hauf
08-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Yes, please post a review tomorrow. I too am a big fan of Neil's older music. And I'd like to know if he does much of it in his currents shows.
Personally tho, I think his brain shorted out and left him perminantly stuck in 60's. I haven't heard anything new from him in years that I cared much for. I guess I'm just burnt out on protest songs.

Yes I will let you guys know how it was. I liked his second newest album "Prarie Wind" his new one "Living with War" doesn't really do much for me, but he's playing that whole album in all his shows (Living with war that is) so that's a downfall but hey, I just wanted to see him live and not in pictures :cool:

BlueOyster23
08-12-2006, 10:21 PM
I remember when I saw Neil Young live, the Christmas 2005 edition on Saturday Night Live, two song setlist, but "It's A Dream" and "He Was The King" are two of his awesome songs from the nearly flawless 'Prairie Wind'

TheHeartbreaker
08-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Wait? You saw him at SNL?

Maj_Tom
08-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Thats awesome, can't wait to hear how it goes.

Hauf
08-13-2006, 01:15 AM
Well, I just got back from the show. It was awesome, I'm not a huge CSNY fan but I loved watching Neil. All this build up waiting to see him for so long I started getting teary-eyed for like the first 3 songs. It was great, very energetic and exciting. They played for about 3 hours with like a 15 minute break. Wonderful show.

There was a point where the whole audience was clapping to a vocal song (no instruments at all) and everyone was clapping together except some chubby little lady who was clapping on the offbeat, made me laugh a few times.

After "Let's impeach the President" half the crows clapped in an uproar and half booed, kinda neat I thought.

Wonderful concert though, I definatley suggest going to see them.

Oh and I haven't listend to a lot of Steven Stills solo stuff, but does his solo's always sound similar to Neil's? It sounded like eh was trying to immitate Neil's solo style.

wilty00
08-13-2006, 01:47 AM
I missed out on going to the show here on July 14th 'cause I was at camp, but my mom said it wasn't all that great. Neil is awesome and everything but I can't stand bands who use their music to complain about politics. Stick to what you know best and making music, leave the politics to the polititions. I know alot of people that were dissapointed and payed big money to see the concert and them play some older stuff only to find out hes using this rediculously overpriced show to complain about a president of somewhere hes not even a resident.

Hauf
08-13-2006, 01:59 AM
I see your point Wilty, I wasn't fond of a lot of the presidetn bashing stuff either, I do like some songs on the album though like "Resltess Consumer" The tickets were expensive, but I just wanted to see Neil in person

TheHeartbreaker
08-13-2006, 09:23 AM
Actually, Neil is a resident, but I don't know if he's an actual citizen, because he lies in Los Angelas, California.

Neil's always been the sort of guy that's had songs touching on politics - not to the extent of Living With War, but he would release songs that dealt with protest.

Anyways, the fact he lives here now, and the fact that his kids grew up and live here, to me, gives him the right to protest if that's what he wants to do.

rockon1824
08-13-2006, 12:49 PM
My mom just saw him last Tuesday, she said it was great.

Caustic
08-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Hm. Neil has always been socially and politically aware in his lyrics. He's like Bob Dylan. I don't see anyone whining about Bob Dylan sticking his nose in politics.

EL Conquestidor
08-13-2006, 12:58 PM
I think it's the other way around. From what I understand, Neil was pretty much an acoustic Folk artist when meet Stephen Stills and became part of "Buffalo Springfield". If you listen to Neil electric tunes over the years (beginning in the '60s) you'll note that his electric guitar ability has improved remarkably. Remember his (pure GENIUS) one note guitar solo's in "Down By the River" and "Southern Man"?
So, did he play any old stuff? "Like a Hurricans", "Powderfinger", "Comes a Time","Sugar Moutain" etc.

psychodelia
08-13-2006, 01:01 PM
Ahh, that one note thing in Down by the River is awesome :cheers:

I think he did a one note solo in Cinnamon Girl, too.

Sherman901
08-13-2006, 01:29 PM
I missed out on going to the show here on July 14th 'cause I was at camp, but my mom said it wasn't all that great. Neil is awesome and everything but I can't stand bands who use their music to complain about politics. Stick to what you know best and making music, leave the politics to the polititions. I know alot of people that were dissapointed and payed big money to see the concert and them play some older stuff only to find out hes using this rediculously overpriced show to complain about a president of somewhere hes not even a resident.

If we left politics to the politicians, we'd be in a dictatorship. America was made for the citizens, not the politicians.

Edit: Caustic, Bob's only political stuff was early in his career and it lasted like 2-3 years. Bob didn't like being political, that's why he stopped.

Hauf
08-13-2006, 01:44 PM
No he didn't play any of his old stuff. Well he did play one, he played "only love can break your heart" on the piano.

But they also played a cool version of "rockin in the free world" where it sounded like it was over and they were done and the stage went dark and the WAMMO! the lights were back on and they were rockin again.

Oh and to the previous replies, I know Neil has always had some protest songs. "Ohio" "Souther Man" "Alabama" and various others, but I don't believe he was a political writer to the extent that Dylan was, Dylan's earlier years he was pretty much a protest only kind of writer.

I do feel though that during the cocnert they played a short movie clip that pretty much said "No one cares about the dead soldiers in the Middle East" I thought that was wrong, they could really offend someone in the audience who may have lost a loved one there. Granted it's their "Freedom of Speech" to do that video as they please I just htink it's a bit disrespectful.

They played another video during "Find the cost of Freedom" where they showed all the fallen soldiers and the adding up deathcount, I thought that was a bit more appropriate.

wilty00
08-13-2006, 03:38 PM
If we left politics to the politicians, we'd be in a dictatorship. America was made for the citizens, not the politicians.

That's fine if citizens want to express their dislike for a leader, but I'm just not really a huge fan of when a band goes out of their way to blatantly disrespect the guy. If you want to do that outside of your occupation thats fine, but hes turning into Green Day with the "Fuck the President!" attitude. When theres 15 000 people paying big money to come see your shows in Canada (for the sake of argument), you simply don't play 3 hours of music about how much you hate the U.S. government. And not only because it has nothing to do with the country, but I'm sure theres a ton of people in that arena who like Bush. You think they wanted to pay 200 bucks to listen to complaining about someone they like? I'm pretty sure they are there to hear the old stuff...

BlueOyster23
08-13-2006, 05:41 PM
Wait? You saw him at SNL?

No, on SNL, I wish I saw him at SNL, but I think you have to be 18.

The thing about president bashing though, to paraphrase/quote Alice Cooper...'If you're listening to us for...[policital advice], you're even bigger morons than we are.

TheHeartbreaker
08-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Man, that would've been sweet to actually see him at SNL.

wilty00
08-14-2006, 01:38 AM
No, on SNL, I wish I saw him at SNL, but I think you have to be 18.

The thing about president bashing though, to paraphrase/quote Alice Cooper...'If you're listening to us for...[policital advice], you're even bigger morons than we are.

Exactly... I pity anyone and the country they live in who's vote gets swayed because their favorite band thinks the president sucks.

The Arch-Mage
08-14-2006, 04:07 AM
It's very neat that you got to go see Neil Young. I would like to go to at least one concert like that before I graduate from school.

Pineapple17
08-14-2006, 06:39 AM
does anyone know if csny is planning on touring in Europe?

BrainDamage
08-14-2006, 10:50 AM
CSNY is stopping by here next sunday. I'm thinking of going. I'd much rather see Neil Young solo or with Crazy Horse though.

TheHeartbreaker
08-14-2006, 11:26 AM
I'd definetly choose Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young over Neil Young solo, but if he was with Crazy Horse... that'd be a different story.

Surfside
08-14-2006, 11:06 PM
That's fine if citizens want to express their dislike for a leader, but I'm just not really a huge fan of when a band goes out of their way to blatantly disrespect the guy. If you want to do that outside of your occupation thats fine, but hes turning into Green Day with the "Fuck the President!" attitude. When theres 15 000 people paying big money to come see your shows in Canada (for the sake of argument), you simply don't play 3 hours of music about how much you hate the U.S. government. And not only because it has nothing to do with the country, but I'm sure theres a ton of people in that arena who like Bush. You think they wanted to pay 200 bucks to listen to complaining about someone they like? I'm pretty sure they are there to hear the old stuff...

:golfclap:

R0CKER1220
08-14-2006, 11:16 PM
You lucky bitch.

rockon1824
08-15-2006, 07:42 AM
You lucky bitch.

He was just down here, you could of saw him.

R0CKER1220
08-15-2006, 03:09 PM
^I'm an unlucky bitch :sad:

I did see Satch and Eric Johnson at MIzner though :D

Actually it was more of a "heard", too cheap to pay to go in Mizner, but I did get a glimpse of Satch through the fence