Mr. Tambourine Man?

PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Tambourine Man?

JamesDouglas
08-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Hello all

I was just wondering something:

Many, many people consider Mr Tambourine Man the greatest song ever written, and I was just wondering if some one could help tell me why. I'm not disagreeing with them, I just don't understand why, what makes it so great? Excuse my ingnorance.

Maybe even a brief explanation of what the songs about.

Thanks

Gutch220
08-13-2006, 12:24 PM
IMO "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" is better, if not the best Dylan song. But Mr. Tamourine Man is a classic though

sirpsycho85
08-13-2006, 01:01 PM
not to dive into specific passages from the song (although i'll be very glad to do so when i have time if ppl want to discuss), i think it's basically about inspiration, probably in the face of some sadness. i'd say it's the second best dylan song, after the often named Like A Rolling Stone, but i think tambourine man's lyrics are a bit better. everyone aready knows it, but that last verse is something i'd sell my soul to write (come on devil, are you getting this?...)

On a side note, don't think twice is probably in my top five though, and i've heard it mentioned a lot on this site which is great. other fave's not as many people name are I Want You and Fourth Time Around (a song which i actually enjoy more than the beatles song it's meant to sound like, despite being a massive beatles fan).

Sherman901
08-13-2006, 01:24 PM
Mr. Tambourine Man is amazing but I think that Visions of Johanna is better. I saw Bob last night and it was amazing. He played a really awesome rendition of Mr. Tambourine Man. I think that people consider Mr. Tambourine Man to be so amazing is because of the surrealism and incredible imagery.

Hauf
08-13-2006, 01:52 PM
Mr. tambourine man is a great song, and I can't give you the answer to why people like it so. But I believe Dont think twice it's alright, and It's all over now baby blue blow Mr Tambourine man out of the water. Mr. Bojangles too is a wonderful song.

self-made_page
08-13-2006, 07:41 PM
drugz

TheHeartbreaker
08-13-2006, 07:42 PM
Mr. Tambourine Man is amazing but I think that Visions of Johanna is better. I saw Bob last night and it was amazing. He played a really awesome rendition of Mr. Tambourine Man. I think that people consider Mr. Tambourine Man to be so amazing is because of the surrealism and incredible imagery.

:cheers:

ledhed68
08-13-2006, 08:02 PM
i dont really like mr. tambourine man that much, it has great lyrics, but i dont really listen too much to it

dionysus85
08-13-2006, 08:40 PM
i agree with the guy who said visions of johanna is better
IMO its his best song, and one of the best songs EVER

tambourine man is a damn good song though, i think its the imagery in the song that catches everyones ear, especially if u look at other music around at the same time as the song came out, nothing compared to what bob was singing

hippy12
08-13-2006, 09:00 PM
IMO "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" is better, if not the best Dylan song. But Mr. Tamourine Man is a classic though

i agreee, but i absolutely love Mr tambourine man aswell.

snipelfritz
08-14-2006, 03:19 AM
Musically, it's not that great, but lyrically it's amazing. Some of the imagery is just so great.

My favorite lines:
"Take me dissapearing through the smoke rings of my mind"
"Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free,
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

futurejp
08-14-2006, 10:24 AM
Personally, I think lyrics take up too much stake in songs these days. There are usually so many other instruments and musical parts people came up with for those instruments, but most people base their opinion of the song on the lyrics.

TheHeartbreaker
08-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Just out of curiosity, do you guys like Dylan's version or The Byrd's version of Mr. Tambourine Man better?

Honestly, I thought The Byrds did an awesome job with it, and I prefer their version.

VoodooChild15
08-14-2006, 12:11 PM

:cheers: Visions of Johanna is my all time favorite Dylan song. The version Live 1966 is amazing.

chopps00
08-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Bob Dylan is great because of his ability to draw pictures in peoples heads. I like a lot of what I've heard from Dylan lyrically, and I like covers of his work even more. Lik "All Along The Watchtower", by Hendrix, which is my favorite song ever. My favorite Bob Dylan song is "Tangled Up In Blues" or "Stuck In Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again". (Except the name is too damn long.)

TheHeartbreaker
08-14-2006, 01:23 PM
"Stuck In Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again" is definetly my favorite Dylan song. :cheers:

lespaulkevin
08-14-2006, 02:03 PM
mr tamborine man is a great song but i'm more of a fan of all along the watchtower