Guitar Paint?

PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Paint?

Xenn99
08-14-2006, 01:27 AM
What would be the best paint to use on a guitar? I'm looking at refinishing my WI14 in a better color (most likely white and then adding gold hardware...), but I'm not sure what kind of paint to use or where to get it. Also, would a coat of polyurathane be necessary?

Any one have suggestions for the paint?

370HSSV
08-14-2006, 01:47 AM
Duplicolor auto spraypaint is probably the most popular in the GB&C forum and for a really impressive paintjob, IMHO, check out this vintage style on a Fender Sttrat. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380936)

Also check out the best application of Krylon spraypaint which is the first time I've seen used in the GB&C forum here - pretty wild paintjob! (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=407416)

Good Luck!

Will_Minus
08-14-2006, 01:48 AM
Duplicolor seems to be the paint of choice in this forum. There's another one used alot, starts with a K, but i forget the name.

Chimaira
08-14-2006, 01:52 AM
Nitrocellulose has the best tonal charecteristics. Duplicor, and car paint are very good as well.

That_Pink_Queen
08-14-2006, 02:02 AM
Duplicolor is car paint.
Reranch.com has good stuff.

Xenn99
08-14-2006, 02:19 AM
Ok, so duplicolor for the paint - Can I just pick that up at like a hardware store, or do I have to order it?

Now, what about laquer? Can I get Nitrocellulose in a spray can? If so, where at?

That_Pink_Queen
08-14-2006, 02:22 AM
Uhhh....
Use duplicolor lacquer...?

An autobody shop should have duplicolor+fine grade sandpapers and buffing crap you need.

If you want to use nitro instead of duplicolor lacquer, reranch has it.

Both nitrocellulose, acrylic, polyurethane, etc. are all different types of lacquers. Choose one kind, and stick to that.

Xenn99
08-14-2006, 02:30 AM
:haha

That shows how much of a guitar painting n00b I am...I should have figured that duplicolor would have a laquer to use with their paint.

About how much will the paint, laquer and sandpaper/buffing crap cost? Are we talking like $20, or more like $100+?

That_Pink_Queen
08-14-2006, 03:53 AM
Depends what you use.

tongue untied
08-14-2006, 03:55 AM
how hard does lacquer get? and how long till it gets as hard as it will??

That_Pink_Queen
08-14-2006, 03:58 AM
I've only used nitro, but the stuff I use dries to a sandable level in 1-2 days(depending on temp+humidity), and it cures in around two weeks I think.

tongue untied
08-14-2006, 03:59 AM
sweet- im almost done with the tele- then

dave293
08-14-2006, 07:47 AM
A month is a safe bet with nitro. A test is to leave it to cure somewhere and when you can't smell the solvents it's ready to buff.

Imo if you want a nice looking, durable finish stay away from car paints such as duplicolor and krylon.

AlGeeEater
08-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Imo if you want a nice looking, durable finish stay away from car paints such as duplicolor and krylon.
+1

Dupli-Color is great for beginners though, sands easy, dries to the touch in 5 minutes and is very easy to buff out. What comes out of these characteristics is a soft, sticky finish that never fully hardens. The EVH I painted 2 years ago? still isn't hard, I can dent it with my finger nail.

If you're paitent you can get pretty good results (as best as it's going to get) from Dupli-Color. Just do thin light coats and give it time to cure.

Chris

Xenn99
08-14-2006, 07:37 PM
What would you suggest AlGee? I definetly want a really, really nice professional looking finish on it. If it takes a bit longer to dry or something, that's fine. I just want it to look nice and last.

strataminor
12-02-2007, 06:30 AM
Just a question. I have done some undercoats in a ****ty black. Can I sand it and go over the top in a Acrylic car paint? Will there be some chemical incompatibility?
Thanks for your help, as I am doing a strat renovation and the paint keeps blistering in certain parts, and I am giving up on enamel!! Frustrating!!

Geetar_Axel
12-02-2007, 06:32 AM
Do you have to sand down the old paint?

What about if you just wanna do white stripes?