Rush(i used search bar so dont kill me if you've seen this already)

PDA

View Full Version : Rush(i used search bar so dont kill me if you've seen this already)

Metal_Man666
08-14-2006, 04:50 AM
I dont know about what other people think but for some reason i dont think Rush gets the credit they deserve. Three people make timeless epic music and yet theres tons of people who dont know who they are or just dont know anything about them. Neil Purt is the greatest drummer to ever live. I've seen Bonham Moon Buddy Rich Chad Sexton Lombardo Portnoy Ginger Baker i've seen concerts and videos of all the greats. I don think they can touch Purt. Not to mention hes the friggin songwriter. Geddy Lee has some crazy baselines that are not easy to play. He was trained as a flameco player so he has amazing dexterity and can pull off some rediculous solos. Not to mention he does all thier keyboards and sings. Alex Lifeson is for lack of a better phrase (imo) is the most diverse guitar player ever to walk the earth. Listen to rush throughout thier career. Hes got so many riffs and solos that are disgusting. The guy can play blues jazz rock metal funk classical anthing. Hes also got a distinctive tone.

So basically this three piece power trio can play circles around most bands. IM going to get criticized over this but if i had to name the 10 greatest bands for me it would look like this in no particular order.

Michael Jackson
Elvis
Elton John
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Rush
Beatles
Rolling Stones
Hendrix
Black Sabbath

You may not like elvis elton or jackson........but i assure you....... they are talented......

I would throw elton john against betwoven and motzart in a piano duel or battle(whatever) hes also got the higest record sales of all time.....

elvis is the king........no one else has that title...........if you were a heterosexuel women back in his day......you wanted to **** elvis.......if you were a guy........you wished you were elvis.........

michael jackson may be a space alien but damn he does the moonwalk well..........and you can tell me thriller isnt an awsome video.......besides hes a self made billionaire through his music..........

so i hope i brought up enough BS to keep good convo going because i didnt see a rush thread at all.........

i apologize for spelling mistakes possible insults and my internet flatchulence

AC/DC10
08-14-2006, 04:55 AM
you say micheal jackson is a great musician because he can dance well and made a good music video?

Zakk_Wylde666
08-14-2006, 05:33 AM
Hell yeah, I agree with everything you said, except for your greatest 10 bands. Rush really doesn't get the respect and credit they deserve.

P.S. I hate Michael Jackson, it's his fault there's a Justin Timberlake.

TheHeartbreaker
08-14-2006, 08:31 AM
Yes, Rush is awesome, but I don't think you used the Search Bar very well. :no:

BrainDamage
08-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Three things.

1. It's Neil Peart, not Neil Purt.
2. He's not the songwriter, he writes the lyrics to everything.
3. Rush is awesome.

BlueOyster23
08-14-2006, 12:15 PM
Judgging by the first post, I'm not what this thread is really about...

TheHeartbreaker
08-14-2006, 12:16 PM
:haha

Maet
08-14-2006, 12:55 PM
Wow. He tries to be multifaceted and diverse with his favourite bands, reasons behind liking them and opinions of them, and still fails.

At least he didn't go into the whole 'new music sucks, CR forever!!' arguement, and I commend him for that.

chopps00
08-14-2006, 01:03 PM
I like Elton John, but comparing him to Mozart and Beethoven? Come on, don't be an ass.

TheHeartbreaker
08-14-2006, 01:05 PM
Yeah, that was quite humerous.

kornflipsk8er
08-14-2006, 01:13 PM
rush kicks ass.it depends on what group of people you ask whether or not they think they get the credit they deserve.but look at who is making all the money in music.it ain't the musicans it's the bussiness men and women who own their music.

xX*Zeppelin*Xx
08-14-2006, 01:49 PM
They're great musicians but I don't like their music. I'd even go as far as saying I hate their music. Neil Peart's drumming is the only thing I would ever consider listening them for. But that's just my opinion on Rush.

Metal_Man666
08-14-2006, 10:07 PM
I dont know man Elton John is rediculous on the piano........ He'll go on stage and improv for an hour and you'd think he just made a brand new album..........hes crazy.......overlook the gay pop factor........

the only reason i said michael jackson and elvis is for what they did for music.........michael jackson was argueably the first modern pop singer......and elvis is probably the most famous pop singer.........i credit them both for that...................

If i had to put 3 other artists in front of them i would choose say Metallica, Alman Brothers, The Doors, Grateful Dead, and queen........ 3 of those bands.......becaue they are extremely succesful talented and make awsome music........

however i had to be fair........ if i was in a different forum for rap persay i would get a whole new list of complaints..........

and im not sure what Maet means with his statements but i didnt name my favourite bands..........i dont like the rolling stones or the beatles......not too much anyway.....i just based my opinions on an artists success and lasting appeal and contribution towards music

i dont know what you mean by multifaceted eaither because i was just being truthfull........its difficult to tell if people are being serious or not over the internet cause theres no emotion and therefore what you read you interpret in your own way........

unfortunatly your a fool and cant see that.........

i still stand by my statement though that Elton is a better pianist than all the classical guys

skateguitar7654
08-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Dude, you seriously need to stop with the ..................

Mudmen190
08-15-2006, 08:00 AM
I like Elton John, but comparing him to Mozart and Beethoven? Come on, don't be an ass.
Yeah, the only person you could remotely compare to them(if its possible to make the classical to prog-rock jump which I don't think it is...) is Rick Wakemen.
Rush rules, and will forever, however I'd rather the Rush we know today then 3 dead musicians.(ie, Hendrix, good,popular-dead, Morrison-same, Joplin-same).
All without a top 10 hit in the mainstream, for 30 years? No-one can attempt to break a record like that. I rest any controversy over their Godliness.

TheHeartbreaker
08-15-2006, 08:42 AM
I don't really understand what this thread has to do with Rush anymore...

It's mainly an argument over Metal_Man666's Top 10 Bands.

BlueOyster23
08-15-2006, 11:58 AM
and im not sure what Maet means with his statements but i didnt name my favourite bands..........i dont like the rolling stones or the beatles......not too much anyway.....i just based my opinions on an artists success and lasting appeal and contribution towards music

i still stand by my statement though that Elton is a better pianist than all the classical guys

BTW, these two quotes did not appear right after another.

First, band with lasting success...(I know a lot of people will hate me for this)Styx, few bands have had a chart topping album in each of the last four decades.

Also, about your list, even if you don't like them, you cannot argue with what KISS and Alice Cooper did to advance rock(in a live sense), and also for Cooper, arguably originating heavy metal.

Finally, the only modern pianist who can come close to the classical ones is Jerry Lee Lewis, who Elton John modeled himself off of. If not for Jerry Lee, Elton John would be nowhere as great as he is.

Okay, now if we're not going to talk about Rush, let's let this thread die.

TheHeartbreaker
08-16-2006, 09:58 AM
I concur (big word). :cheers:

FreewayJam
08-16-2006, 01:58 PM
Let's take this step by step...

1. Neil Peart is an excellent drummer, but not the greatest. Billy Cobham can own him any day of the week.
2. Alex Lifeson is a pretty good guitarist, but by far the weak link of Rush. If you truly think he is one of the most talented and diverse guitarists of all time, all I can tell you is keep looking.
3. A number of the artists you mentioned are not bands, but whatever.
4. Elton John is an excellent pianist but to even compare him to people like Mozart and Beethoven is just ignorant.
5. Michael Jackson is not really a musician, but I do think he's awesome.
6. And so is Rush.

Sideshow Raheem
08-16-2006, 02:04 PM
Has anyone here seen the new DVD (Replay X3)? If you have, is it better than Rush in Rio?

Billy Cobham is very good, but Neil Peart is more talented. They would both lose to Steve Gadd. There is no weak link in Rush, which is why they are so great. If you don't believe me, listen to some very early Rush.

TheHeartbreaker
08-16-2006, 02:13 PM
The only Rush DVD I've ever seen in full is R30.

I was going to pick up Replay X3, but I didn't have enough money for it at the time, and I've only seen some of Rush in Rio.

BrainDamage
08-16-2006, 02:19 PM
It's a sin not to own R30, Rio, or Replay :no:

Seriously though, all three are great DVDs and are must-owns. Replay is probably the weakest of the 3, but hey...Exit Stage Left video!

FreewayJam
08-16-2006, 04:18 PM
There is no weak link in Rush, which is why they are so great. If you don't believe me, listen to some very early Rush.

I own every Rush studio album, so I would know. Nice try, but using the fact that their skills weren't nearly as developed (and thus more equal) in their early career does not draw from the fact that both Lee and Peart could play circles around Lifeson, whom I feel is one of the least impressive out of the pantheon of great guitarists. But hey, to each his own.

Sideshow Raheem
08-16-2006, 04:30 PM
Try listening to Alex Lifeson's solo album, I heard there's some good guitar work on that. In my opinion, the weakest link would be Geddy's voice. I love the sound, but many people find it strange.

TheHeartbreaker
08-16-2006, 04:49 PM
My dad once told me he read a book or magazine or something where the author of the writing called Geddy's voice, "A mix between Robert Plant and Donald Duck".

Maet
08-16-2006, 10:20 PM
Sorry, but the first three Rush albums were dismal, save for a few good tracks.

While it's true that Alex Lifeson may not be anywhere near the best guitarist, he is a terrific musician. He does something that few guitarists even attempt, and that's having their sound work and cooperate with the other instruments as opposed to dominating over them. That's one of the many reasons why Rush are so great. The three of them combined have a balance that is so unique, few bands come close.

Mudmen190
08-16-2006, 10:44 PM
Sorry, but the first three Rush albums were dismal, save for a few good tracks.

While it's true that Alex Lifeson may not be anywhere near the best guitarist, he is a terrific musician. He does something that few guitarists even attempt, and that's having their sound work and cooperate with the other instruments as opposed to dominating over them. That's one of the many reasons why Rush are so great. The three of them combined have a balance that is so unique, few bands come close.
Well said, why have bass if you can't hear it.
I agree that is one of the strongest points of Rush's success, especially among bassists.

FreewayJam
08-17-2006, 05:12 AM
This is sort of going off topic, but what are your favorite early Rush songs anyways? Mine would have to be:

In the Mood
Best I Can
I Think I'm Going Bald

TheHeartbreaker
08-17-2006, 09:24 AM
My favorite Rush songs are (I'm only going to list five)...

1) Cygnus X-1 Book II
2) The Analog Kid
3) Limelight
4) Animate
5) Fly by Night

BlueOyster23
08-17-2006, 05:50 PM
I've only heard their more well known material, but my favorite 5 are...

1. Distant Early Warning
2. Freewill
3. Working Man
4. Temples Of Syrinx(not sure on speliing)
5. Either Tom Sawyer or Fly By Night

FreewayJam
08-17-2006, 06:16 PM
Well...both of those sort of go against the purpose of my question, but thanks for sharing...

Maet
08-17-2006, 06:47 PM
So what was the purpose of your question then?

Edit -- Nevermind. I just neglected to read 'early'. So if your question would be altered to say 'What are your favourite Rush songs of any era?', would your answer still be the same?

FreewayJam
08-17-2006, 07:35 PM
No, of course not, I just picked my favorite songs from the first three albums. Those are by no means, in my opinion, the three best Rush songs.

BrainDamage
08-17-2006, 10:04 PM
My favorite early Rush songs are Anthem, Bastille Day, and Finding My Way. I like By-Tor and the Snow Dog by itself as well, but nothing beats By-Tor/Xanadu :)

Am I the only one who really likes the early Rush albums? Like...Rush, Fly By Night, Caress of Steel.

Sideshow Raheem
08-17-2006, 11:40 PM
Am I the only one who really likes the early Rush albums?

I Like early Rush.

Mudmen190
08-18-2006, 02:34 PM
My favorite early Rush songs are Anthem, Bastille Day, and Finding My Way. I like By-Tor and the Snow Dog by itself as well, but nothing beats By-Tor/Xanadu :)

Am I the only one who really likes the early Rush albums? Like...Rush, Fly By Night, Caress of Steel.
Caress of steel would probably have to be my favourite album, if not....Hold your Fire or Counterparts.

My favourite songs would have to be...
Mission
Mystic Rhythms
The Necromancer
Xanadu
By-tor...and the Snowdog
I could go on....to name pretty much every Rush song i've heard lol.

TheHeartbreaker
08-18-2006, 09:14 PM
So what was the purpose of your question then?

Edit -- Nevermind. I just neglected to read 'early'. So if your question would be altered to say 'What are your favourite Rush songs of any era?', would your answer still be the same?

Yeah, I neglected the "early", too.

chopps00
08-28-2006, 10:18 AM

Beethoven was deaf! Mozart taught a deaf guy how to play piano! Elton John is pretty cool, and undoubtably rather talented. But the classic guys are like ****ing Gods, man! How many symphanies did they have? Mozart had like a crapload. Basically hundreds of ten to thirty minute songs!