What cuts it?

PDA

View Full Version : What cuts it?

Mudmen190
08-15-2006, 08:20 AM
What makes a band that you would want to listen to?
A hardcore Guitar player?
a Jazzy Bass sound?
Loud, gifted vocals?
Top 5 most important factors For me I'd have to say
1-Respectability
2-Accomplished music/musicians
3-Bass you can hear that would be fun play
4-good guitar, hold distortion(most of the time)
5-Good lyrics
Use any factors you want.

TheHeartbreaker
08-15-2006, 08:34 AM
For me, there don't seem to be any particular "factors" that make me appreciate certain bands.

Really, there is really only one component I want to see in a band, and that is...

1) That the band members or artist are in the music business for the music, not only the money.

Really, other than that, I am willing to try out any band, not based on what genre they are or anything.

That doesn't necessarilly mean I will like their music, but if I know that the band loves creating their music and they are putting their heart and soul into it, I honestly can't hold anything against them as far as that goes.

For the most part, it would seem as though I would be into the "soaring guitar solo, and amazing riff" music, but I've listened to bands such as Black Sabbath and have never really enjoyed their music too much apart from a few songs.

Yet, I'm not going to limit what I listen to based solely on whether their is a guitar in the band or not, and I feel like this contributes to me being open-minded about different types of music.

I'll admit I use to only listen to Classic Rock after I evolved out of my rap/pop rock phase when I entered Middle School, but now I've started listening to Blues, Jazz, and a bunch of other genres, and I've found that good music can come from any time period, whether from the 1800s, 1950s, or 1990s and on.

And as usual, I end up totally off-topic... :sad:

DireStraits
08-15-2006, 08:38 AM
1. Melody

2. Melody

3. Melody.

Simple enough.

clapton-floyd
08-15-2006, 09:04 AM
I like a song that has depth to it, doesn't mean I'll like it, but I'll at least give it a listen.

Dæmönika
08-15-2006, 11:03 AM
1. Good lyrics - I like the lyrics to be witty with lots of hidden meanings and incorporating different styles.

2. Long solos - Yes, I know some people don't seeem to enjoy long solos and they may well be boring to the untrained ear, but the longer the solo the more the guitarist can improvise and add emotion. The solos almost become a song in their own right.

3. Clean vocals - None of that growling shit or deep voice to make them sound more macho. Clean singing which is easily heard and understanded gets my vote.

4. Riffs - I prefer the riffs not to be too complicated because that can drag a potentially good song down. A simple riff (Smoke on the Water) or one which is not used very often in the song (Loving You Sunday Morning) are better than the muddled mess you get nowadays.

5. Two guitars - I've always preferred listening to two guitars rather than one. The more guitars the better if I'm going to be honest. Loving You Sunday Morning, the song I am really into just now, has three guitarists (The Schenkers and Matthias Jabs).

BlueOyster23
08-15-2006, 11:23 AM
Soul

FreddieMercury
08-15-2006, 12:27 PM
Gifted Vocals
Melody
Unique
Talent

ledhed68
08-15-2006, 12:58 PM
Emotion
Emotion
Emotion

Thats all there is too it for me, anyone can play a song, but it takes real talent to put emotion into i and still have a good song

jim morrison714
08-15-2006, 01:03 PM
good lyrics, song writing, good guitar riffs and solos, awesome vocalist, range in music styles (not ac/dc)

freewheelinbird
08-15-2006, 01:22 PM
one thing i always look for in a band is a jazzy-esque drummer. i hate the simple 4/4 rock beat (most o the time)

sirpsycho85
08-15-2006, 01:36 PM
in a nutshell, songwriting. the bands i like write good songs, the bands i don't enjoy generally don't. but after that, i look for originality, lyrics, and good singing.

now while i don't look for many things in music, certain trends have popped up in a lot of the bands i like. a pretty simple example is acoustic and electric riffing, like in a lot of the who's songs, bowie's songs, etc. i am also a fan of vocal harmony, guitar's that don't sound "slick" (which is why for example comfortably numb is not my favorite floyd guitar solo), and bands that aren't restricted to the blues. when i look at blues influenced bands like hendrix and zep, my favorite songs are the ones that go further away from the blues.

if i think of more i'll post. i like this thread, it's an actual discussion about specific aspects of music instead of only about the artists in the vaguest of terms.

Maet
08-15-2006, 01:48 PM
Arragement
Dynamic
Meter
Consistency
Capabilities
Proficiency

Garci
08-15-2006, 02:34 PM
1 - Musicality (they must play music, not endless wankery)
2 - Coordination
3 - Instrumentary mastery (every one must know what they're doing with the instrument they're playing)
4 - Lyrics
5 - Stage Presence

Mikeoman
08-15-2006, 05:22 PM
If the tune gets your attention quickly, I like it.

AdayTripper
08-16-2006, 09:33 PM
1. Good lyrics - I like the lyrics to be witty with lots of hidden meanings and incorporating different styles.

2. Long solos - Yes, I know some people don't seeem to enjoy long solos and they may well be boring to the untrained ear, but the longer the solo the more the guitarist can improvise and add emotion. The solos almost become a song in their own right.

3. Clean vocals - None of that growling shit or deep voice to make them sound more macho. Clean singing which is easily heard and understanded gets my vote.

4. Riffs - I prefer the riffs not to be too complicated because that can drag a potentially good song down. A simple riff (Smoke on the Water) or one which is not used very often in the song (Loving You Sunday Morning) are better than the muddled mess you get nowadays.

5. Two guitars - I've always preferred listening to two guitars rather than one. The more guitars the better if I'm going to be honest. Loving You Sunday Morning, the song I am really into just now, has three guitarists (The Schenkers and Matthias Jabs).
Wow you've spoken for me. I usually go looking for all this too. Although I'd like to add loud, well played bass to it too.

CornLord
08-16-2006, 10:30 PM
Gifted Vocals
Melody
Unique
Talent
Same here.

I don't like songs that are too complicated, just something that I can enjoy and not have to think about for an hour after listening to it.

TheHeartbreaker
08-17-2006, 08:43 AM
I don't mind if a song is complicated or not, and that's why I can listen to bands such as Led Zeppelin that are extremely riff oriented and simple, but at the same time appreciate bands such as Jethro Tull that are a little more complicated with their music.

Encore_God
08-17-2006, 09:34 AM
Honesty, soul, melody, fun and talent. And the knack of expressing their sentiments through music.

angus69
08-18-2006, 04:34 PM
1 Nice rithym: it has to be powerful and deep ( born in the usa )
2 a voiced that has a "wtf" but not angry attitude ( bob dylan, oasis, bruce springsteen)
3 simple guitar line ( ac dc ), i love very simple riffs with a little OD ( ziggy stardust )
4 i don't like it to be too serious but kinda teasing attitude ( bob dylan is my fav for that )

p.s it dosn't mean that in order to like it, it has to have all of these but most of my favourite songs have at least one of these elements

Ziggy193
08-19-2006, 04:42 PM
1) Songwriting talent
2) Musicianship
3) Good vocals
4) A solid rhythm section (like AC/DC or The Who)
5) Honesty (as in, they play music for music, not for money)

Drowning!Waving
08-19-2006, 04:45 PM
there is simple formula for writing hit songs that people will pay for...

1. great lyrics about stuff everyone can relate to, like high-school crap, love, lust, and hearbreak.
2. simple 3 note/chord verse structures with slightly more complex chrouses.
3. a singer with style and vocal inflection.

beau05
08-20-2006, 08:04 AM
usually sh*t thats "balls to the wall" type stuff, hard n fast riffs, solos, gravel type vocals