The 60's psychedelic rock thread

PDA

View Full Version : The 60's psychedelic rock thread

angus69
08-16-2006, 06:33 PM
i just wanted to this very particular period of rock n' roll to have it's own space....

say whatever you want about it.....songs...albums...artist...news....opinions.......feel

free!!!

(p.s. i wasn't sure if this was the right forum but it was the most appropriate)

:p: :p: :p: :p: :p:

angus69
08-16-2006, 06:41 PM
you can also talk about everything related to lsd and other drug's and there influence on these bands

MusicHead32
08-16-2006, 06:46 PM
Syd Barret pwns.

BreakingTheGirl
08-16-2006, 06:47 PM
well... the doors, jimi hendrix, pink floyd, cream,grateful dead, T. Rex and jefferson airplane all freaking pwn.

this thread is good. now we just need someone cool (or a super-dumb n00b) to post here and make it interesting.:peace:

Kizashmir
08-16-2006, 06:51 PM
Syd Barret pwns.

fo sho

AdayTripper
08-16-2006, 09:26 PM
The first band that comes to mind is Jefferson Airplane.
Love em' man...

Sherman901
08-16-2006, 09:29 PM
Psychadelic Rock always makes me feel so positive and full of energy. It also makes me wish I lived back in the 60's and that I could relate with the artist. I always wonder what goes through their head when they write the stuff that they do.

AdayTripper
08-16-2006, 09:30 PM
Psychadelic Rock always makes me feel so positive and full of energy. It also makes me wish I lived back in the 60's and that I could relate with the artist. I always wonder what goes through their head when they write the stuff that they do.
Exactly, sometimes I wish I was alive when this musical renaissance was going on.

ledhed68
08-16-2006, 10:12 PM
What to you is the quintesential psychadelic song?

To me it's Light My Fire, earthy lyrics with long improvised solos and trippy vocals, either that or Voodoo Child (Slight Return) for its wah and the solos and just pure hendrixian quality of it.

VR05
08-16-2006, 10:28 PM
I'd have to say, the quintessential Psychedelic rock song, White Rabbit- Jefferson Airplane, just because its one of the more recognized psychedelic songs, and it pretty much describes an era. not to mention its a ****in great song

Supreme WarHawk
08-16-2006, 11:30 PM
HAWKWIND. Anyone else ever heard of them?

rx_eb
08-17-2006, 02:42 AM
T. Rex

lol
T.Rex is anything but 60s rock
maybe it's Tyrannosaurus Rex that you're talking about

Hell yeah
Silver machine pwns as much as Lemmy does.

but then again, they're not really 60s psychedelic rock ;)

rx_eb
08-17-2006, 02:50 AM
apart from the bands mentioned above.

heard about bands like 13th Floor Elevators, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Country Joe and the Fish or Spirit? They're pretty damned good.

And it's a crime if bands like Beatles, Who and Rollings are not mentioned when it comes to psychedelic

TheHeartbreaker
08-17-2006, 09:15 AM
For me, I'm more of a fan of the San Fransisco psychedelic bands such as The Grateful Dead, The Jefferson Airplane, and Quicksilver Messenger Service.

Of course, there is no denying that, as rx_eb stated, British rock bands such as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and The Who definitely had some psychedelic influences in their songs, but of course the Syd Barret era of Pink Floyd was one of the best British psychedelic bands.

I also enjoy bands such as The Doors, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, and of course, Traffic.

I've listened to many other psychedelic bands, including Iron Butterfly and Spirit, and have heard many individual songs from numerous garage psychedelic bands from the 60s on the box set Nuggets.

rx_eb, I've only heard one song by Country Joe and the Fish (I've heard Country Joe's "Feel Like I'm Fixin' to Die Rag, but that's only performed by Country Joe), and that was "Rock and Soul Music", and, if you haven't guessed, I saw/hear both of these performances on the Woodstock DVD.

So what are some albums you would recommend by Country Joe and the Fish? I've been reading about the band some recently, but I don't know if they're really worth spending money on or not.

Encore_God
08-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Psychadelic Rock always makes me feel so positive and full of energy. It also makes me wish I lived back in the 60's and that I could relate with the artist.

If you can understand its energy and positivity, you can relate to the artist. :)

lol
but then again, they're not really 60s psychedelic rock ;)

They're more 70's space rock, but they do take a fat chunk of inspiration (and... lifestyle choices? ;)) from the 60's psychedelia.

angus69
08-17-2006, 10:39 AM
even velvet uderground and king krimson were great "trip bands"

TheHeartbreaker
08-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Definitely.

telex289
08-17-2006, 11:27 AM
i have a grateful dead acid test show.. pretty weird **** there.

i love in platoon the scene when they're on the base and you see the 2 soldiers walking across some barrier thing with the sun setting in vietnam and the music in the background is white rabbit.. just fits so ****ing perfectly

heaven's gate
08-17-2006, 11:34 AM
what about vanilla fudge? wow.....quite a trip indeed

rx_eb
08-17-2006, 11:53 AM
rx_eb, I've only heard one song by Country Joe and the Fish (I've heard Country Joe's "Feel Like I'm Fixin' to Die Rag, but that's only performed by Country Joe), and that was "Rock and Soul Music", and, if you haven't guessed, I saw/hear both of these performances on the Woodstock DVD.

So what are some albums you would recommend by Country Joe and the Fish? I've been reading about the band some recently, but I don't know if they're really worth spending money on or not.

The Woodstock version of FLIFTDR didn't really impress me. but it's a brilliant song however.

the album 'Electric Music for the Mind and Body' is terrific. I love the album so much I once listened to it for week straight. but that's just me. If you like Jefferson Airplane's Surrealistic Pillow then 'Electric Music for the Mind and Body' is really worth a listen.

and

Definetly.

ah ha. This must be the 4th or 5th time that you spelled the word incorrectly :p:
Don't know why but it pisses me off whenever an UGer misspells it.

Definitely

rx_eb
08-17-2006, 11:58 AM
and uhm Vanilla Fudge.

I can still remember their trippy cover of You Keep me Hangin On. love it

they'd covered lots of Beatles' songs. Didn't they

TheHeartbreaker
08-17-2006, 12:05 PM
ah ha. This must be the 4th or 5th time that you spelled the word incorrectly :p:
Don't know why but it pisses me off whenever an UGer misspells it.

Definitely

NO!

Thanks for telling me, though, so I won't do that anymore, but because of my serious case of OCD for spelling/grammar, I'll probably correct that word in all of my past posts.

Thanks for the recommendations, too, I really like Surrealistic Pillow, so I'll check out that Country Joe and the Fish album.

angus69
08-17-2006, 12:09 PM
i have a country joe original lp, there really good, one of the best psichedelic-protest bands of the 60's too bad there not known musch thought...

paintITblack39
08-17-2006, 07:29 PM
Isn't Revolver considered to be the first Psychadelic album???? :confused:

Well, if it is or isn't, its a great album overall.

AdayTripper
08-17-2006, 08:05 PM
Isn't Revolver considered to be the first Psychadelic album???? :confused:

Well, if it is or isn't, its a great album overall.
It just brought it into pop culture, and the masses.
I belive the first song was The Byrd's, 'Eight Miles High'.
Other than that, I'm not quite sure of the first real album. :confused:

VR05
08-18-2006, 12:00 AM
i have a grateful dead acid test show.. pretty weird **** there.

i love in platoon the scene when they're on the base and you see the 2 soldiers walking across some barrier thing with the sun setting in vietnam and the music in the background is white rabbit.. just fits so ****ing perfectly

Dude! You have to send me that acid test show. I wanna see it so much, or post it somewhere in this thread or send it on aim.

Pineapple17
08-18-2006, 06:31 AM
the album 'Electric Music for the Mind and Body' is terrific. I love the album so much I once listened to it for week straight. but that's just me. If you like Jefferson Airplane's Surrealistic Pillow then 'Electric Music for the Mind and Body' is really worth a listen.

Yeah, 'Electric Music for the Mind and Body' is one of their best I think (i also have "c j fish", "i'm feeling like...", "here we are again").

I particulary like the song "not so sweet martha lorraine"

TheHeartbreaker
08-18-2006, 08:08 AM

Man, I love The Byrds, and that album.

I can't believe I forgot to mention them; they're one of my favorites bands.

rx_eb
08-18-2006, 09:58 AM
I particulary like the song "not so sweet martha lorraine"

:cheers:

TheHeartbreaker
08-18-2006, 10:50 AM
I don't believe that they've been mentioned yet, but does anyone listen to The Soft Machine?

rx_eb
08-18-2006, 11:24 AM
I don't believe that they've been mentioned yet, but does anyone listen to The Soft Machine?

I've heard about them somewhere

can't remember :mad:

BlueOyster23
08-18-2006, 12:30 PM

I don't know, I think Surrealistic Pillow brought psychadelia to the masses, due to the popularity of "White Rabbit"

paintITblack39
08-18-2006, 12:33 PM
I read an article on the 40th anniversary on Revolver, that magazine claimed it to be the first psychedelic album.

You better have not lied to me Guitar World :mad:

angus69
08-18-2006, 12:43 PM
This is getting kinda boring......has anybody here in ug tried lsd ? or at least knows something about it? it would be cool too have a nice discussion on it...

first of all: i really think that lsd changed rock n' roll ( and don't start bul****tingme that it didn't)

brentondig
08-18-2006, 12:46 PM
you can also talk about everything related to lsd and other drug's and there influence on these bands

Syd Barret pwns.

Har har.

I'm actually starting to listen to The Grateful Dead. They seemed like an influential band of the time. I already listen to Pink Floyd, Iron Butterfly, Hendrix, and many more great bands of the era, and I'm just trying to broaden my knowledge of great 60's bands.

VR05
08-18-2006, 01:26 PM
^ Listen to some Jefferson Airplane, they were the greatest psychedelic band of their time. Bar none. But also look more into the Dead, i've got quite a bit of their live shows downloaded, but if you want to hear some great dead, go to www.archive.org , they have a whole section dedicated to their live shows.

frippogenics
08-18-2006, 02:17 PM
I hate psychedelia. What a useless genre.

angus69
08-18-2006, 03:06 PM

it's a point but maybe you have forgotten that if there wasn't this era there weren't be hendrix, the who, and all the best beatles songs so shut the f uck up! or just say you don't like classic rock! so you can say you don't like it ( wich i can understand
) but not that it was useless!!

Peaceful Rocker
08-18-2006, 03:07 PM
hell yeah, acid rock as i like to call it seems so much more true and rich than any other music these days.

anyone else actually like to drop acid occasionally?

VR05
08-18-2006, 03:54 PM

:confused: ? I thought you were like the God and know it all of psychedelia on this forum?

Edit: to PeacefulRocker, I would if i could ever find any, no one around can hardly even get shrooms or weed, let alone acid. sucks.

AdayTripper
08-18-2006, 04:07 PM
I don't know, I think Surrealistic Pillow brought psychadelia to the masses, due to the popularity of "White Rabbit"
Surrealistic Pillow was released a year, and a half after Revolver.

jim morrison714
08-18-2006, 04:28 PM
This is getting kinda boring......has anybody here in ug tried lsd ? or at least knows something about it? it would be cool too have a nice discussion on it...

first of all: i really think that lsd changed rock n' roll ( and don't start bul****tingme that it didn't)

i havent tried it but i know its not addicting like the poll says

angus69
08-18-2006, 04:36 PM
i havent tried it but i know its not addicting like the poll says

I know but i just needed something too say....

angus69
08-18-2006, 08:13 PM
really...has anybody here ever tried acids? i bet there some..........

joshsirjoshules
12-27-2006, 12:27 AM

The first psychedelic album was released by a band from Austin, Texas called The 13th Floor Elevators. The Psychedelic Sounds Of The 13th Floor Elevators was released sometime in 1966, most sources say it was released before Revolver, and probably before "Eight Miles High." Whenever it was released, The 13th Floor Elevators easily made some of the greatest psychedelic music ever. The only band I can think of that could possibly top the brand of psychedelia they produced would be Pink Floyd fronted by Syd Barrett.

Syd Barret..
12-27-2006, 04:08 AM
If you guys want to hear ****in sweet ass Psychedelic Bands check them out.

Apple
Orange Bicycle
The Smoke
Risen

Syd Barret..
12-27-2006, 04:09 AM

Umm, i have. plenty of times with my brother.
good shit!!

ECistheBest
12-27-2006, 04:12 AM
its ofcourse the origin of today's rock duh
jimi hendrix, clapton, beginning of pink floyd, everything happened man
but the first and last choice in the poll was like the same...
its all cool

OpethFan
12-27-2006, 11:14 AM
Mr. Mojo Risinnnnn'

ledhed68
12-28-2006, 01:21 PM

ive always wanted to, its on my list to do at least once before i die

thegrungyhippie
12-28-2006, 02:28 PM
ne body heard of blues magoos? theres a good psychadelic band

That_Pink_Queen
01-01-2007, 12:29 AM
I like the poppy type of psychedelic stuff...IE:
Tommy James and the Shondells-Crimson and Clover
The Zombies-Odyssey and the Oracle

Amazing albums.

hamett91
01-01-2007, 02:11 AM
LSD isn't addicting lol. :p:

Jefferson Airplane FTW!

alex_haeni
01-01-2007, 04:27 PM
One of the most creative periods in music where everything was pushed to the limit and explored.

-Alex.:wavey:

jskinnirvana
01-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Beatles,Pink Floyd,Doors,Zeppelin,Hendrix,Beach Boys,Jefferson Airplane,Cream,Grateful Dead,Steppenwolf,The Guess Who,The Who,Janis Joplin,Bob Dylan,Sabbath,CCR

Lost_Rose
01-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Have to mention Jefferson Airplane and 13th floor elevators

No none of us has ever heard of them :rolleyes:

Dan of Dans
01-25-2007, 12:29 AM
One of my favorites is Janice Joplin. Her voice is very good!

Myrdinn
01-29-2007, 06:56 PM
All those mentioned, plus Procol Harum, Jethro Tull, etc.. an era of creativity that probably won't be seen again for quite some time.

As for LSD, moi? errrrr... white lightning, clearlight/windowpane, yellow/orange sunshine, double barrell, brown/purple microdot, green frog, ummmmm errrrrr, guess I've done some in the far past. lol and probably many names I forgot. Wouldn't touch the stuff now with a ten foot pole.

rock_and_blues
01-30-2007, 07:23 PM
enlighten us as to why you wouldnt touch it now (acid)? did you just grow up and get a family (which is a respectable reason imo). I'm most definetly going to get my hands on some soon (or some other psychedelic).

By the way, I'm going to have to say the first pyschedelic song is Norwegian Wood by the Beatles, made in 1965, I'm pretty sure thats the earliest case of anything remotely psychedelic coming out, however theres a Kinks song called "See My Friend" which may have come out earlier.....even though the Kinks weren't psychedelic rock, it still has that kind of vibe about it.

anyway...anybody know of any good revival bands?

IrishBlues
01-30-2007, 10:38 PM
^ Just wanted to let you know that I love your avatar, probably one of my favorites on UG.

The Psychedelic era, in my opinion, produced some of the best music of all time.

KISS_Fan
01-31-2007, 12:23 AM
first band that comes to mind in Led Zep

JIMMY PAIGE ROCK ON FOREVER

Maui Waui
01-31-2007, 12:33 AM
Throughout all the greatest tunes of the 60's/70's, Maggie May was the most significant in my opinion, just thinking bout the tune of the song brings back memories.

And LSD pwns.

"Tele" Steve
01-31-2007, 01:20 AM
No thread like this is complete without a mention of The 13th Floor Elevators.

rock_and_blues
02-02-2007, 07:13 PM
i havent gotten my hands on any 13th floor elevators, can you recommend any songs/albums of theirs?

Anyone in here a fan of Donovan? I freakin' love this guy, he's insane! Sunshine Superman, Mellow Yellow, Season of the Witch, and my personal favorite Hurdy Gurdy Man. Just wanted to hear everyone elses opinon

KISS_Fan, I really don't consider Led-Zeppelin psychedelic. They kind of missed the era (the mid to late 60s)....their debut album came out in 69, correct? And despite that, the only real psychedelic songs that come to mind are Dazed And Confused and the little middle section of Whole Lotta Love, and a live rendition off one of their DVDs (the name escapes me) of White Summer.

BTW Irish Blues, thanks for the comment on the av, yours is pretty cool as well

ledhed68
02-02-2007, 07:46 PM
KISS_Fan, I really don't consider Led-Zeppelin psychedelic. They kind of missed the era (the mid to late 60s)....their debut album came out in 69, correct? And despite that, the only real psychedelic songs that come to mind are Dazed And Confused and the little middle section of Whole Lotta Love, and a live rendition off one of their DVDs (the name escapes me) of White Summer.

Where in White Summer do you find it psycadelic? And the name of the DVD is Led Zeppelin DVD

rock_and_blues
02-02-2007, 08:28 PM
idk, anything with an eastern vibe comes off as psychedelic to me, and there are points in pages playing during that version where you can definetly detect eastern influences.

joshsirjoshules
02-02-2007, 09:10 PM
i havent gotten my hands on any 13th floor elevators, can you recommend any songs/albums of theirs?

Well for songs, "You're Gonna Miss Me" is an obvious choice. I recommend buying their first two albums, Psychedelic Sounds Of and Easter Everywhere. It's awesome that the best psychedelic band came out of Austin.

Carnivean
02-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Buddy Guy was psychedelic before anyone knew what psychedelic meant.

PTfan
02-03-2007, 04:49 PM
Jefferson Airplane and Syd Barett :)

rock_and_blues
02-04-2007, 12:02 AM
Buddy Guy was psychedelic before anyone knew what psychedelic meant.

why do you say that? I'm just wondering, I havent heard much Buddy Guy and would like to know as to why he was "psychedelic before anyone knew what psychedelic meant"

ledhed68
02-04-2007, 02:28 AM
why do you say that? I'm just wondering, I havent heard much Buddy Guy and would like to know as to why he was "psychedelic before anyone knew what psychedelic meant"

He was quoting Robert Cray on the Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD