Key of Red House

PDA

View Full Version : Key of Red House

ShizNick
08-16-2006, 06:56 PM
hello,

what is the key of Jimi Hendrix's Red House?

Simple enough... thanks

Playdoh14
08-16-2006, 06:56 PM
B.

redwing_suck
08-16-2006, 06:57 PM
B flat (blues). He plays in the position of B but his guitar is downtuned 1/2 step. It's a 12-bar blues song.

wmzbomgzors
08-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Bb

ShizNick
oh, maybe I should have asked what scale he uses, that's kinda what I meant? sorry :)

Autumn Shadows
Bb

ledhed68
08-16-2006, 07:03 PM
Blues scale

wmzbomgzors
08-16-2006, 07:05 PM
I don't think he "used" a scale. He most likely heard it in his head, and transferred that to guitar.

edit: although most of the song is in Bb blues.

ShizNick
08-16-2006, 07:06 PM
oh ok.. thanks

S0ulja23
08-16-2006, 07:07 PM
I don't think he "used" a scale. He most likely heard it in his head, and transferred that to guitar.
Yeah Jimi doesn't limit himself to scales. He plays what he feels.

wmzbomgzors
08-16-2006, 07:13 PM
woo 6 for 6 this week on advice and info, I'm on a roll :cheers: .

Anyways, Jimi really didn't know that much theory, if any at all. He was a natural musician. He heard the song in his head (drums, bass, guitar, tone of vocals, pretty much everything), and just basically transfered that out.

edit: not that I'm a Jimi expert or anything, but that's pretty much how you have to do it when you know very little theory.

S0ulja23
08-16-2006, 07:20 PM
woo 6 for 6 this week on advice and info, I'm on a roll :cheers: .

Anyways, Jimi really didn't know that much theory, if any at all. He was a natural musician. He heard the song in his head (drums, bass, guitar, tone of vocals, pretty much everything), and just basically transfered that out.

edit: not that I'm a Jimi expert or anything, but that's pretty much how you have to do it when you know very little theory.
I'm sure he picked up some musical theory in his day.

wmzbomgzors
08-16-2006, 07:44 PM
I'm sure he picked up some musical theory in his day.
that's why I said very little, I didn't want to rule out musical theory, what I meant was he wasn't a walking textbook of music theory 101 :D .

:cheers:

redwing_suck
08-16-2006, 08:23 PM
I have no idea how to respond to that. Everybody uses scales... they are just a different name.

He knew damn well that he was playing the hydrid blues scale in that song. Fuck saying that "he played what he felt"---that's only true to a point. He didn't just pick up a guitar and know what to play. He knew that the song was 12-bar blues and so he said "Hey I'll use the blues scale!" THAT'S what happened.

If he didn't use a scale, he'd be all over the place and hitting notes that are way dissonant in relation to the key of the song. He definitely used scales just as much as anybody; he just never really cared to understand where they came from or how to get them. He learned them and that was that.

red:cheers:

S0ulja23
08-16-2006, 08:47 PM
I have no idea how to respond to that. Everybody uses scales... they are just a different name.

He knew damn well that he was playing the hydrid blues scale in that song. Fuck saying that "he played what he felt"---that's only true to a point. He didn't just pick up a guitar and know what to play. He knew that the song was 12-bar blues and so he said "Hey I'll use the blues scale!" THAT'S what happened.

If he didn't use a scale, he'd be all over the place and hitting notes that are way dissonant in relation to the key of the song. He definitely used scales just as much as anybody; he just never really cared to understand where they came from or how to get them. He learned them and that was that.

EDIT: I didn't mean that he didn't use scales, I meant that he didn't just stay in one box and..stuff.

13579ed
08-16-2006, 09:56 PM
I know he does something wierd in the beginning, I think he switches to major pentatonic, and switches back to minor. Its a great song.

redwing_suck
08-16-2006, 10:22 PM
^yeah... the hybrid blues scale...

ShizNick
08-16-2006, 10:28 PM

*applause*

S0ulja23
08-16-2006, 10:35 PM

I accept the fact that I was wrong. Thank you mr. red :cheers:
Plus I didn't really read it well, so yeah.

redsox193
08-16-2006, 10:55 PM
yea dude he deffintly didnt just transfer music. He didnt learn the scales like most people but he learend the patterns as he played. Because he knew how every different note interacted through pattersn, he learned the scales.

guitarviz
08-17-2006, 01:24 AM
I know he does something wierd in the beginning, I think he switches to major pentatonic, and switches back to minor. Its a great song.

bar 3 to bar 6 = minor pentatonic

bar 7 = a mix of minor and major

bars 8 & 9: those are all notes from the major pentatonic

then back to minor pentatonic / blues scale

guitarviz
08-17-2006, 01:32 AM
bars 8 & 9: those are all notes from the major pentatonic

correcting myself after listening: there is a quick passing note in between the 5 and 6 degrees of the scale

also that third that he bends borders between a b3 and major 3rd

so like everything it doesn't pay to analyze it too carefully, ha

but nonetheless those two bars have a definite major pentatonic feel to them, including the shapes used, those are common major pentatonic shapes / licks

guitarviz
08-17-2006, 01:38 AM
the D7 shape used at the start of the song is an interesting one also. Trivia question: what do the following solos all have in common:

Red House
Ice Cream Man - Van Halen
That'll Be The Day - Buddy Holly

they all use that D7 shape, then slide it down one fret lower (or vice-versa).

Used in other songs too, none of which I can remember at the moment.

and of course it was probably originally an old blues lick.

S0ulja23
08-17-2006, 01:53 AM
Oh and which version of Red House are we talking about? The one in the "Blues" album? Or in "Are you Experienced?"?

guitarviz
08-17-2006, 06:26 PM
the studio version from Are You Experienced was what I was referring to

haven't heard the "Blues" album, is it a live version?

Smitherz
08-17-2006, 07:56 PM
yea he used the blues scale, dont gimme this played whatever he felt, all those licks are just blues scale man....