Mc 5

PDA

View Full Version : Mc 5

False_God
08-17-2006, 08:46 AM
God these guys rock... They were one band realy ahead of their time.....Has anyone else heard them before and if so what do you think of them?

TheHeartbreaker
08-17-2006, 09:25 AM
I've heard of them, and I've heard some pretty good things about them, but to tell you the truth, I've never actually listened to them before.

Could you recommend me anything?

FreewayJam
08-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Well, Kick Out The Jams, naturally. I'm not sure if they ever made any other good albums, but they were always a (much) better live band anyhow.

TheHeartbreaker
08-17-2006, 12:44 PM
Thanks.

I have this "Rock and Roll Encyclopedia", and I read about them a while ago when there were a couple of threads about them.

From what I understand they're almost punk, right?

Andrewbiles
08-17-2006, 12:56 PM
Yeah, pretty much.

Great band. 'Back in the USA' is a decent album as well, but 'Kick out the jams' is their classic.

rocknroll blues
08-17-2006, 01:03 PM
The MC5 rock my world beyond all rocking.

Kick Out the Jams is probably the definitive MC5 album, so I'd recommend getting that. Their studio efforts are a lot more tight and refined. I prefer them live, so I've picked up a couple bootlegs in my time.

They're considered proto-punk, but that title belies level of musicianship inherint in their songs. They play sloppily, but it is not uncommon for them to reach highers plateaus of musical skill.

They're a lot like the early Who, and they lift not a few riffs from the Troggs, but they're inifinitely more primal than either of those bands. Easily comparable to the Stooges, though I would consider them a bit bluesier, and with a bigger sound. If the Stooges are a punch in the face, the MC5 are a kick to the head.

REBARMAN99
08-17-2006, 03:02 PM
Also check out Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels

BlueOyster23
08-17-2006, 05:03 PM
I've heard "Kick Out THe Jams" and BOC cover "Maserati GT"

I also think(according to Wikipedia), that the living members are going to tour together again(?) Or maybe that was another band...

False_God
08-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Kick Out the Jams is a classic!! My most listened to album. Whos alive still?

JeffWiredBeck24
08-18-2006, 12:08 AM
MC5 kick ass, even though they only recorded 3 albums, their a classic.

Dog Eat Dog
08-18-2006, 02:15 AM
Kick Out the Jams is a classic!! My most listened to album. Whos alive still?

I think Wayne Kramer is still alive, so are Dennis Thompson and Michael Davis. Kick out the Jams is a great song especially the start.

False_God
08-18-2006, 04:44 AM
"Right now, Right Now, Right now its time too...KICK OUT THE JAMS MOTHA****A!!"

Pineapple17
08-18-2006, 06:17 AM
I've only heard one thing about them, and since i'm a huge VU-fan i've never listened to them, but i'll give them a try.

The velvets and MC5 were at the same programme one night and MC5 was convinced they would play the velvets brains out so they started a little "wordfight". And during their show, they tried to convince the audience to burn down "The Boston Tea Party" club (velvets favorite place to play).
Lou calmed the audience by saying he didn't have nothing to do with them, and actually it's quite stupid. Well, beginning of the punk bands I guess.

rx_eb
08-18-2006, 10:00 AM
ooh MC5. love them love them

Kick Out the Jams is indeed classic

VR05
08-18-2006, 01:48 PM
I've only heard the song Kick out the Jams, but I like it alot, can anyone recommend songs to download?

bajeda
08-18-2006, 03:52 PM
Kick out the jams motherfucker!

They are pretty kick ass.

rx_eb
08-18-2006, 10:12 PM
I've only heard the song Kick out the Jams, but I like it alot, can anyone recommend songs to download?

All of them :)

IlikeTheSKA
08-19-2006, 11:43 AM
KOTJ is a great album if you're just getting into them. I picked up High Time about a year ago and it's jsut as good (and studio recorded).

Wayne Kramer's solo stuff is also very good too.

rocknroll blues
08-20-2006, 12:27 AM
I think Wayne Kramer is still alive, so are Dennis Thompson and Michael Davis.

Aye. They're touring as DKT/MC5 or TKD/MC5 or something, to show they're not the whole thing. Or whatever.

Evidently they played a show in London with some sweet people supporting them (Lemmy, one of the Hellacopters, etc).

I'm definitely hoping they'll swing by my area. This year should be a great year for proto-punk, as the Stooges are recording a new album and will be supporting it, as are the New York Dolls.

Wheee!!