Best Rhythm Section

PDA

View Full Version : Best Rhythm Section

Mr. Crash
08-20-2006, 06:59 AM
Taking into account studio prowess, technical ability, live performances, and virtuosity...

Cream's Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker? The Who's John Entwistle and Keith Moon? Rush's Geddy Lee and Neil Peart? Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones and John Bonham?

Belgian Bastard
08-20-2006, 07:11 AM
AC/DC's Malcolm Young, Cliff William's and Phil Rud(sp?)?

kamikaze_74
08-20-2006, 07:31 AM
guns n roses' matt sorum, duff mckagan and izzy stradlin (or steven adler, duff mckagan and izzy stradlin OR EVEN matt sorum, duff mckagan and gilby clarke). personally i'd say the first one but theres a ridiculous amount of good rhythm sections to hear.

hendrix experience's - mitch mitchell & noel redding/billy cox
sabbath's - geezer butler & bill ward

boboguitar
08-20-2006, 07:31 AM
cream, no doubt. have you ever heard ginger baker play?

TheHeartbreaker
08-20-2006, 08:38 AM
hendrix experience's - mitch mitchell & noel redding

Sorry, man, but I totally disagree.

Noel Redding was a piece of **** at bass, and in the studio Jimi would often have to record the bass part because Noel was either unable to compose a bass line, or was unable to play it.

Anyways, Cream definetly had a very good, strong rhythm section with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker.

Even though those other pairs you listed were great, these guys take the cake.

psychodelia
08-20-2006, 12:37 PM
The King Crimson rhythm lineup with Bill Bruford and John Wetton is probably my favorite.

And to kamikaze_74.... I agree with Heartbreaker on Noel Redding, plus, Guns n Roses isn't classic rock.

paintITblack39
08-20-2006, 12:39 PM
Cream had an awesome rhythm section. :down: Ginger Baker & Jack Bruce :down:

claptonfan55
08-20-2006, 12:43 PM
My favorite rhythm sections are Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker of Cream, and Jaimoe, Butch Trucks, and Barry Oakley of the Allman Brothers Band. (Also like Allen Woody and Oteil Burbridge on bass)

Marshall 8240 Valvestate combo from 1986 (It's older than I am!!)
Crate X15R
Dunlop Crybaby
Digitech Screamin' Blues

greggybhoy
08-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman.

Seriously.

walkinbazooka
08-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Talking Heads' and Fleetwood Mac's rhythm sections.

greggybhoy
08-20-2006, 01:48 PM
I do like the Stones' rhythm section, but seriously, my personal favourite is Bruce Foxton and Rick Buckler from the Jam (my favourtie band)

BrainDamage
08-20-2006, 04:39 PM
it's either Lee/Peart from Rush or Bruce/Baker from Cream.

marvelboy_04
08-20-2006, 04:56 PM
led zeppelin's definitely

grimreaper65
08-20-2006, 04:57 PM
The Who.

kamikaze_74
08-20-2006, 05:16 PM
Sorry, man, but I totally disagree.

Noel Redding was a piece of **** at bass, and in the studio Jimi would often have to record the bass part because Noel was either unable to compose a bass line, or was unable to play it.

Anyways, Cream definetly had a very good, strong rhythm section with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker.

Even though those other pairs you listed were great, these guys take the cake.

i did also put billy cox, was he **** also? i dont really know, all i know is that in all the live hendrix tracks ive heard (with the exception of hey joe) the drums and bass carry the songs, mitch mitchell was a mindblowing drummer (i say was cos i dunno if he can still play like he could). anyway i wasnt saying they're my favourites i was just throwing a few more suggestions into the mix.

kamikaze_74
08-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Guns n Roses isn't classic rock.

yes they ****ing are, dont insult me buddy

EDIT: to elaborate on that, perhaps you'd like to define when classic ends and contemporary begins.

psychodelia
08-20-2006, 05:44 PM
When did I insult you?

And let us begin. First, there is a Guns n Roses thread in 80's rock and progressive, right here (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137374).

Does that mean you can't mention GnR outside of the 80s rock forum? Of course not, but that's where they are classified.

Also, here (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1047950) are two threads posted about GnR in this forum. Both have been closed, since they don't belond here. Five more are here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1047966

Now, a quote from the CR forum mod, jono034. "Classic Rock can be generally defined as Rock Music that came into existence between 1960 and 1984. Bands anywhere from The Beatles and The Yardbirds to Bad Company, Aerosmith and Queen belong in Classic Rock. Bands like Guns and Roses, Metallica, Motorhead, Poison are not Classic Rock. The Music must fit the genre."

If you are wondering, Guns n Roses formed in 1985, and their major-label debut came out in 1987. But of course you probably know that.

As far as this forum is concerned, GnR is not classic rock. There was no insult to you, I simply pointed it out; you are being overly defensive.

kamikaze_74
08-20-2006, 05:55 PM
ok well personally i think that the 'music must fit the genre' comment is bollocks. classic rock is not a genre, its a generalisation of any non-contemporary rock.

you didnt really insult me, i just happen to be a huge guns fan and my dont insult me comment was meant to be tounge-in-cheek.

also, i was unaware that there was a defined line between when classic rock becomes contemporary on this forum so apologies for breaking the rules. however, i think the rule is very silly as there are several bands that must certainly be considered classic rock bands that released music after the 1984 threshold, guns n roses included. but ok, i'll play ball and accept guns n roses arent classic rock for the sake of this thread

kamikaze_74
08-20-2006, 05:57 PM
and whats up with '80's rock and progressive'. theres something seriously wrong there as the 80's was the era of hair metal and glam, i would suggest it should be 70's rock and progressive. i dont do much posting on these forums as you may be able to tell

Ziggy193
08-20-2006, 06:01 PM
AC/DC, Zeppelin, and The Who all had great, solid rhythm sections. The Stooges had a great rhythm section too, not in that they were solid, but in that they were completely chaotic and out of control. And I like that. :D

psychodelia
08-20-2006, 08:32 PM
ok well personally i think that the 'music must fit the genre' comment is bollocks. classic rock is not a genre, its a generalisation of any non-contemporary rock.

you didnt really insult me, i just happen to be a huge guns fan and my dont insult me comment was meant to be tounge-in-cheek.

also, i was unaware that there was a defined line between when classic rock becomes contemporary on this forum so apologies for breaking the rules. however, i think the rule is very silly as there are several bands that must certainly be considered classic rock bands that released music after the 1984 threshold, guns n roses included. but ok, i'll play ball and accept guns n roses arent classic rock for the sake of this thread

Alright, no harm done. :peace:

I noticed the FAQ is gone, so there wasn't anything to tell you otherwise if GnR aren't accepted in this forum. (Where could that blasted thing have gone?)

I also think it would make sense to have classic prog here, but they're usually accepted if they fall in the time period; it's just that a lot of the shred fans like prog, from what I've seen.

Anyways you seem like a decent guy, just a misunderstanding :cheers:

ZoSoII_13
08-20-2006, 11:45 PM
Ok I love Ac/Dc, but their rhythm section doesnt even deserve top 100 honors. The top rhythm sections I think are Fleetwood Mac, The Who (the best imo), Wishbone Ash (very jazzy and some great grooves), The Band (Levon Helm all the ****ing way), Derek and the Dominoes, Led Zeppelin, Rush, and Elton John's 70's rhythm section with Nigel Olsen on drums and Dee Murray (I believe) on bass.

ace man
08-21-2006, 12:22 AM
Don Walker, Phil Small and Steve Prestwich from cold chisel form the Iconic aussierock rhythm section

Brandon860
08-21-2006, 01:40 AM
Geddy Lee and Neil Peart all the way, but I have to say Cream is right up there, Ginger Baker really knew how to keep beat going and let it ride man.
Props to great rock trios!

TheHeartbreaker
08-21-2006, 09:18 AM
Butch Trucks, and Barry Oakley of the Allman Brothers Band. (Also like Allen Woody and Oteil Burbridge on bass)

:cheers:

With Butch, Berry (not Barry), and Jaimoe, the band was definetly at it's strongest rhythm-wise.

Allen and Oteil are (well, were in Allen's case) both good bassist, but Berry was definetly the best.

I saw The Allman Brothers Band the other night, but Jaimoe didn't drum.

Warren said he wasn't feeling good. :sad:

deadhead313313
08-21-2006, 09:59 AM
I'd say the most talented would definately go to Lee and Peart. Amazing duo.

Baker and Bruce also quite a fantastic couple. Lesh/Hart/Kreutzmann worked off eachother quite nicely, especially in live performances.

TheHeartbreaker
08-21-2006, 10:07 AM
I knew you would include Lesh/Hart/Kreutzmann in there. ;)

deadhead313313
08-21-2006, 10:41 AM
^Well, someone had to do it.

TheHeartbreaker
08-21-2006, 10:54 AM
True, and of course it was going to be you.

I'm still not sure if I liked The Dead with only Kreutzmann or with both Kreutzmann and Hart.

chopps00
08-21-2006, 11:19 AM
John Paul Jones and John Bonham. I don't see why John Paul Jones doesn't get more credit for being who he is as a musician. When people talk about Led Zeppelin all they talk about is Plant and Page. Jones was awesome.

sirpsycho85
08-21-2006, 02:08 PM
cream and the who like everyone said, then also zeppelin and rush (not a big fan of rush overall though). among modern bands, rhcp's rhythm section is tremendous.

jono034
08-21-2006, 05:06 PM

it really doesnt matter what you think. Follow the rules or else.

:peace:

and these "Best _____" threads only cause arguements so. . .

***CLOSED***