floyd albums to get?

PDA

View Full Version : floyd albums to get?

freewheelinbird
08-20-2006, 02:28 PM
until recently, i thought pink floyd were overrated stoners, but then i listened to DSOTM for the first time in a year in it's entirety, and foudn it very enjoyable. i've also got wish you were here, but i haven't listneed to it all the way through.

so i was wondering what are some good floyd albums to get (besides the wall duhh)

mr.shred
08-20-2006, 02:34 PM
get the wall

civildp1
08-20-2006, 02:35 PM
First, listen to wish you were here all the way through. Amazing album. Here's some other good ones

Meddle
Animals
Saucerful of Secrets

And Piper at the Gates of Dawn if you wanna get into the Syd Barret years.

*.JefF94.*
08-20-2006, 02:35 PM
aaucer full of secrets is one of my fav's

Foxtrot Sport
08-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Wish You Were Here's like 5 songs, how have you not listened all the way through. Oh I guess the Shine Ons are long.

Get Animals, and Pulse. Pulse is the live album, and if you can, get the Pulse DVD

Godzilla1969
08-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Meddle. It has Echoes, which is Pink Floyd's best song IMO.

KVincent
08-20-2006, 02:39 PM
Meddle!!!

grim1
08-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Division Bell has some of david gilmours best stuff.

freewheelinbird
08-20-2006, 02:44 PM
wait how many albums did they make?

like 7?

U-Mass
08-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Get them all. Through their career they've had a lot of different sounds, from psychodelia to complete blues, and sometimes even a touch of political folk. The best way I found out what I liked was (Now realize I'm not taking the whole album) download like one or two songs or listen to them on Amazon or www.danceage.com and find out which cd suits you best.

My favorite all-time records are "The Wall" and "Meddle" coming in at close second. "The Wall" was what really got me into them, after watching the movie.

SomeEvilDude
08-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Get them all. Through their career they've had a lot of different sounds, from psychodelia to complete blues, and sometimes even a touch of political folk. The best way I found out what I liked was (Now realize I'm not taking the whole album) download like one or two songs or listen to them on Amazon or www.danceage.com and find out which cd suits you best.

My favorite all-time records are "The Wall" and "Meddle" coming in at close second. "The Wall" was what really got me into them, after watching the movie.

Political folk? Blues? Come on.

As for the albums, any of them except Ummagumma and A Momentary Lapse Of Reason. They're all good. But seriously, this would've been a lot better asked in the Pink Floyd Fans thread. (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212193)

BrainDamage
08-20-2006, 04:21 PM
The must owns are:

Animals
WYWH
Meddle
Dark Side
The Wall

start with those five, then get back to us for more suggestions.

mydadisjewish
08-20-2006, 04:24 PM
the first one i really started to listen to was wish you were here.

then came:

the wall
animals
darkside
pipers
meddle

ANIMALS is my fav, so i'm goin with that.

Tsunoyukami
08-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Get The Wall and Animals. The Wall is my overall favourite Floyd album, even compared to DSotM, but they're both awesome albums.

psychodelia
08-20-2006, 05:46 PM
Get them all. Through their career they've had a lot of different sounds, from psychodelia to complete blues, and sometimes even a touch of political folk.

Pink Floyd sounded like me? :p:

Anyways, Meddle would be my first recommendation, followed by Wish You Were Here.

Jesse Mrau
08-20-2006, 06:10 PM
Everyone pretty much already covered what you should look into. (Meddle is my favorite :D)
But for the record, the only "stoner" in Pink Floyd was Syd. All of the other band member's didn't even drink that often, not really the partying type.

Conky420
08-21-2006, 01:01 AM
wait how many albums did they make?

like 7?
14 studio albums i believe, a couple compliations, and live albums

snipelfritz
08-21-2006, 01:24 AM
As has been said many times before, I'd recommend Meddle and/or Animals.

greggybhoy
08-21-2006, 06:03 AM
Momentary Lapse of Reason is a very self explanatory title for this truly God-awful album. I would avoid this but get whatever else. Haven't heard Ummagumma though.