Tim Buckley

PDA

View Full Version : Tim Buckley

LKW
08-21-2006, 06:35 AM
This thread is dedicated to one of my all-time favorite musicians ? a man about whom there have been no threads yet for some reason ? Tim Buckley

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/profiles/images/buckleytimmain.jpg

It's a well-known phenomenon in music: the child of a famous musician, struggling to make a name for him/herself but destined to live in their parent's shadow.
Not often do you see the opposite: the child of a successful musician making such a name for himself that he exceeds his father's fame by miles. I can only think of two examples: Loudon Wainwright and Kate McGarrigle's son Rufus, and Tim Buckley's son Jeff.

While the praise that Jeff Buckley gets is very much deserved, it's a shame that his father doesn't nearly get as much recognition. Because not only does Tim Buckley have an amazing voice with an unprecedented emotional depth and a range of 4 octaves, he also has an impressive discography with many great records in several styles. His music has an emotional intensity, a melodic beauty and a uniqueness about it that you see very rarely, Personally, i'd consider him a candidate for the title of "best singer ever".

Tim Buckley married Mary Guibert when he was just 18. They had a child together, but the marriage didn't last long and the son who would later follow in his footsteps stayed a stranger to Buckley for most of his life.

After being introduced to the business by some members of The Mothers Of Invention, he soon released his self-titled debut album in 1966 when he was only 19. The record consisted of sweet, melodic folk songs.
A year later, he released his second album, Goodbye and hello. While folk-oriented, it also included psychedelic elements to the music and involved more ambitious arrangements. This album makes a great introduction to his work, because aside from just being an excellent record, it showcases both his experimental and his accessible side. It's also his best selling record, and briefly made it into the top 200.

As the years passed, Buckley became more interested in jazz. These were the late 60s: people like Miles Davis and Frank Zappa were among the first to combine jazz with rock with albums like Bitches Brew and Hot Rats, and Buckley was quick to follow: in 1969 he released Blue afternoon, and with the release of Lorca and Starsailor in 1970, the shift towards jazz was complete. These albums are among his best, but also his least accessible: this isn't the jazz you hear in elevators, but experimental avant-garde jazz with amelodic and dissonant passages and vocal workouts that Mike Patton could be proud of. And sadly, they didn't sell very well and some of them are currently out of print without any prospects of a reissue. A shame, because this truly is amazing, highly original music.

After effectively sabotaging his carreer with his uncompromising experimentalism, he made a living as a cab driver for a while, before making a return with a new sound: 1972's Greetings from LA was funk, soul and rock & roll. While most see his funk/soul period as his worst, this record is very enjoyable.
The following two records however, Sefronia and Look at the fool showed a decline in quality. Mediocre material, tacky production and a style that seemed forced and insincere. While both these albums do offer some good songs, they're not representative of his work as a whole and should only be bought by hardcore fans.

Tim Buckley died of an accidental heroin overdose in 1975.

Recommended albums:
Goodbye and hello
Starsailor (out of print, but available on iTunes)
Blue afternoon (out of print, but available on iTunes)
Tim Buckley
Dream letter: live in London 1968
Happy sad
Lorca
Live at the Troubadour 1969

A few personal favorite songs:
Song to the Siren (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JAT859NotE)
Hallucinations
Monterey
Pleasant street
I never asked to be your mountain
Moulin Rouge
Lorca
Happy time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4-qZgABIq0)
Chase the blues away
Devil eyes
Dolphins (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNtyStkHx40)

If you haven't heard his music, do yourself a favor and check him out.

If you have, please discuss his awesomeness :)

Derigiberble
08-21-2006, 06:38 AM
Aww yeah I love Tim Buckley so much. My favourite song is probably Gypsey woman, I just love it so much.

:cheers:

xX*Zeppelin*Xx
08-21-2006, 06:39 AM
You're right, he's awesome. Not discussed much here though...

stve
08-21-2006, 09:19 PM
Tim Buckley is awesome. Great folk music and I even like the funk stuff he did like on Look at The Fool. I couldn't really get into the avant garde stuff like Lorca though.

LKW
08-23-2006, 04:24 AM
Yeah, some of it is really hard to get into.

I initially downloaded Starsailor after a collegue told me about him.... i'm fairly used to strange music, but i really couldn't get into it. It was the song Dolphins that convinced me to check for more. After that, i got Goodbye and hello and that convinced me to really dig into his discography. The funny thing is that i've really grown to love records like Lorca and Starsailor.

But anyway, nice to see some fans :cheers:

Andrewbiles
08-23-2006, 05:46 AM
Can't say he's my favourite folk artist, but there are a few tracks that I do think highly of, just think his son was better.

LKW
08-25-2006, 06:19 AM
^ I don't really consider him a folk artist. That's where he started, and where he had most success. But only the first 2 albums truly fit into that category and while they're great (Goodbye and hello is arguably his best record), some of his other work is way too good to ignore. The majority of his discography has very little to do with folk.

Personally, i think his best material holds up very well to Jeff's best. I probably shouldn't keep making this comparison, i've read a letter by Jeff that showed he really hated constantly being compared to someone he didn't even really know. But it's hard not to, because the similarities are so striking, despite the fact that their music itself is pretty different from eachother.

radio_schizo
04-13-2007, 02:19 PM
I just bought 'Tim Buckley' and 'Goodbye & Hello' on one cd for £5.

Wow...this guy writes really haunting songs. He's so over looked its insane.

LKW
04-17-2007, 10:13 PM
He is overlooked, i think he's one of the greatest singers of all time.
After a year of listening to his music, the album that i still keep playing is Starsailor. It's hard to get into, but it's completely and entirely original and it's also the album where he utilizes his voice to the fullest.

Good timing with the bumpage of this really old thread btw.
There's a Tim Buckley DVD coming out April 30 (May 15 in USA) called My Fleeting House with, among other things, the following songs performed live:

1. Inside Pop - "No Man Can Find the War"
2. Late Night Line Up - "Happy Time"
3. Late Night Line Up - "Morning Glory"
4. Old Grey Whistle Test - "Dolphins"
5. The Monkees Show - "Song to the Siren"
6. Greenwich Village - "Who Do You Love"
7. Dutch TV - "Happy Time"
8. Dutch TV - "Sing a Song for You"
9. Music Video Live - "Sally Go Round the Roses"
10. Boboquivari - "Blue Melody"
11. Boboquivari - "Venice Beach (Music Boats by the Bay)"
12. The Show - "I Woke Up"
13. The Show - "Come Here Woman"
14. The Christian Licorice Store - "Pleasant Street"

Most of these performances have never been released on DVD before and could until now only be obtained on crappy bootlegs, or not at al. It covers his entire career from the early folk days through the experimental fusion period to the funk of his later albums.
I can't wait.

radio_schizo
04-18-2007, 09:41 AM
Cool the DVD sounds great.

I have heard some tracks off Starsailor (via youtube) and it's definitely strange, I am pretty open minded musically so I'll probably like it but I don't know whether it'll top 'Goodbye and Hello' that album is just soo good.

Iíve heard ĎSong to the Sirení and that is probably the most beautiful song Iíve heard from Tim, it sounds like it should have been on Goodbye & Hello, but then again I imagine it works well as a breather from the avante guard stuff on Starsailor.

Dirk Gently
04-18-2007, 09:46 AM
I think it's fitting that Jeff Buckley was "discovered" while performing during a tribute concert for his dad. I agree with andrewbiles that I like Jeff's music more, but I've definitely taken a shine to Tim Buckley's stuff. The problem is, some of it is difficult to find, so all I've been able to get up to this point is "Goodbye and Hello."

SomeEvilDude
07-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Hm, I love Jeff's music, and have only heard good things about Tim so I bought a Greatest Hits album on impulse today. And yes, I know Greatest Hits albums are sucky, but it's all the shop had, so yeah.

Track listing is:

Aren't You The Girl
Song For Janie
I Can't See You
Carnival Song
Morning Glory
Hello And Goodbye
Sing A Song For You
Once I Was
Strange Feelin'
I Had A Talk With My Woman
Happy Timef
I Must Have Been Blind
The River
Song To The Siren
Dolphins
Martha
Move With Me
Look At The Fool

I'm really digging this. He's an awesome songwriter and singer, really good stuff.

Sloopy
08-01-2007, 01:54 AM
I haven't heard much past Starsailor, but I'd love to hear more.

Suggestions?

ohhey9040
10-07-2008, 11:25 PM
I had to revive this thread, seeing as I'm on a Tim Buckley kick right now. I have Happy Sad, Blue Afternoon, and Starsailor and I can't decide which is my favorite. They're all absolute masterpieces. "Love From Room 109" is a beautiful song. I'm hoping to get Lorca and Goodbye and Hello soon.

johnny_tapia
10-08-2008, 06:52 AM
I love Jeff, but I have never heard anything by Tim. I shall have a quick listen now! :)

radio_schizo
06-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Got Happy Sad the other week and I've been listening to it every night - such a relaxing album. It's one you can loose yourself in the different vocal & musical textures.

Which one shall I get next?

ohhey9040
06-04-2009, 12:28 PM
If you like Happy Sad, then I think Blue Afternoon would be right up your alley.