Getting into Velvet Underground

PDA

View Full Version : Getting into Velvet Underground

toha33
08-21-2006, 11:02 PM
yeah I'm trying to get into velvet underground and so far the most amazing song i like is ''venus in furs/'' Can anybody suggest me some songs that are somewhat like that or are really good to listen to when baked. THX.

Also some songs by the Stooges would be nice, so far I like ''I wanna be your dog'' and ''Search and Destroy.''

pumpkins_rule
08-21-2006, 11:05 PM
Velvet:

Heroin
Pale Blue Eyes
Sweet Jane
All Tomorrow's Parties
Sunday Morning

ChordMonger
08-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Sister Ray

I Play Guitar!
08-21-2006, 11:12 PM
Velvet Underground:

Sunday Morning
I'm Waiting For My Man
Heroin
There She Goes Again
I Heard Her Call My Name
Sister Ray
Candy Says
What Goes On
Beginning to See the Light
Who Loves the Sun
Sweet Jane
Rock and Roll
I Can't Stand It

The Stooges:

No Fun
Real Cool Time
Down on the Street
Loose
T.V. Eye
L.A. Blues
Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell
Raw Power

those should get you started on these 2 amazing bands.

ChordMonger
08-21-2006, 11:22 PM
i know its not technically the stooges, or really sound like the stooges for that matter, but Iggy's the passenger is a terrific song

toha, if your getting into Stooges, you might just wanna buy their first three [s/t, funhouse, raw power], all terrific records, however, you seem more like the downloading type, so ide rec. you get Soulseek. you can download full albums.

sargasm
08-22-2006, 02:56 AM
I prefer Lou Reed's solo stuff, of which I would reccomend the entire transformer album.

Goon
08-22-2006, 10:23 AM
Heroin is the best.

FreewayJam
08-22-2006, 11:09 AM
Neither The Velvet Underground nor The Stooges have a single bad album, so just get anything. Yes, some of them are better than others, but you simply can't go wrong with an album from either of those bands, which you should get at least one of if you're really that into them.

VoodooChild15
08-22-2006, 12:18 PM
Neither The Velvet Underground nor The Stooges have a single bad album, so just get anything. Yes, some of them are better than others, but you simply can't go wrong with an album from either of those bands, which you should get at least one of if you're really that into them.

Squeeze wasn't great, but it barely counts since Lou Reed wasn't even on it.

bodyheatseeker
08-22-2006, 12:38 PM
I prefer Lou Reed's solo stuff, of which I would reccomend the entire transformer album.

Metal Machine Music just blows everything else out of the water

FreewayJam
08-22-2006, 12:53 PM

I prefer to give information on a "need to know" sort of basis. All that toha33 needs to know...any VU or Stooges album you will find at your local music shop is good.

paintITblack39
08-22-2006, 02:19 PM
Check out The Velvet Underground & Nico. Its one of my favorite albums of all time. Heroin is a must listen track. Another favorite track of mine Run Run Run.

ufossuck
08-22-2006, 05:15 PM
Buy The Velvet Underground and Nico, The Velvet Underground and Loaded. As for Lou's solo albums get Transformer and New York. For The Stooges, Raw Power. And as for Iggy's solo career, Lust for Life.

FreewayJam
08-22-2006, 06:02 PM
Alright, well if you want to get into specific preferences...

The Stooges - Forget what everyone else is saying, buy Fun House, it is their best album by a mile.

The Velvet Underground - Their most accessible album is probably VU & Nico, like everyone else has said. My personal favorite is The Velvet Underground. White Light/White Heat is considerably better than Loaded, which is good but by far the worst VU album.

Lou Reed - Can't say I'm familiar with much from his classic period, seeing as two of the three albums I have by him are post 70's. However, Transformer is just amazing, an album that easily stands up to any VU album, albeit it's not nearly as unique as the former was. Still, a must have.

Iggy Pop - Don't have that many solo albums, but Lust For Life and The Idiot are equally good.

ufossuck
08-22-2006, 07:28 PM
Don't get White Light/White Heat unless you're into music that will creep you right out. Apart from the title track, the whole album is about as creepy as a 90 year old woman, who you don't know, offering you candy.

S'gunS'man
08-29-2006, 03:03 PM
Don't get White Light/White Heat unless you're into music that will creep you right out. Apart from the title track, the whole album is about as creepy as a 90 year old woman, who you don't know, offering you candy.

I've got to get me this album then!

get-born
08-30-2006, 08:58 AM
in the words of Lester Bangs...

"GIMME SOME WHITE LIGHTE WHITE HEAT!, hmmm...

IGGY POP!!!"

Pineapple17
08-30-2006, 09:08 AM

Loaded wasn't that great either, i think, nor the velvet underground because of the loss of john cale.

And Lou Reed albums: get transformer (altough that's not my favorite), rock 'n roll animal (best heroin version ever due to the guitar work of dick wagner and steve hunter).

VoodooChild15
08-30-2006, 06:43 PM

Oh God. The Gift...*shudders* Oh, and I actually prefer the TVU and Loaded. Cale was a creative genius, but the Yule era songs are just such great tunes.

Mild Vibe
08-30-2006, 06:53 PM
I have: VU and Nico and White Light/White Heat.

And Funhouse and S/T by the Stooges.

I Play Guitar!
08-30-2006, 06:54 PM
^ i have all 4 of those too. Good stuff.

Does anyone have VU or Another View? I plan on getting VU just for the sole purpose of having "I Can't Stand It" in the studio, but what about Another View?

ufossuck
08-31-2006, 02:44 AM
Oh God. The Gift...*shudders* Oh, and I actually prefer the TVU and Loaded. Cale was a creative genius, but the Yule era songs are just such great tunes.
Me and you are the only ones that prefer Doug Yule. John Cale is and incredibly talented musician. He plays at least three instruments, but VU had enough creep coming from Lou. Besides, Doug Yule plays at least four instruments.

distilledspirit
09-27-2006, 09:07 PM
I've just recently checked out Velvet Underground and they are one of my new favorites bands I think. Sweet Jane is a great one. By Lou Reed while we're on the subject, White Light/White Heat= great song.

I Play Guitar!
09-27-2006, 09:23 PM
^ it's good to see another VU fan, it doesn't seem like there is that many of us here...

distilledspirit
09-27-2006, 09:31 PM
Yeah, I'm starting to really like them as I listen to them.

Iluvpowerchords
09-27-2006, 09:34 PM
in the words of Lester Bangs...

"GIMME SOME WHITE LIGHTE WHITE HEAT!, hmmm...

IGGY POP!!!"

:cheers:

That's what I'm talkin' about.