Why the angled pickup?

PDA

View Full Version : Why the angled pickup?

BrerLapin
08-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Can anyone explain why the bridge pickup on some guitars is at an angle? Like this Strat, http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f9/Strat2.jpg for example. My only guess is that the lower-pitched strings have a longer wavelength thus placing the pickup too close to the bridge will cause it to pickup a much smaller amplitude than is actually present. IE, if the wavelength was, say, 10 inches then the greatest amplitude will occur at 2.5" and 7.5" with no amplitude at all at 0", 5" and 10" - you wouldn't want the pickup too near 0" or it will barely pickup any vibration. I read somewhere that bridge pickups tend to have more treble than bass, is this true and is what I guessed above the reason and is that angled pickup Fender's fix?

cheers

anon5940
08-23-2006, 05:20 PM
just to look good

StaggHound
08-23-2006, 05:43 PM
The closer to the bridge, the more trebly a sound is. So right next to the bridge, on single coil guitars, it's often better to angle the pickup so that there's more bass definition.

Fender did it with the Telecaster, and it's been an industry standard since.

Invictious
08-23-2006, 06:33 PM
TO prevent twanginess, prevent over bassiness, to prevent under treblyness, to prevent underbassiness.

God Am
08-23-2006, 06:36 PM
Pickups are sensitive to the tone of a note, particularly single coils. It balances out the sound.

power freak
08-23-2006, 06:40 PM
Can anyone explain why the bridge pickup on some guitars is at an angle? Like this Strat, http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f9/Strat2.jpg for example. My only guess is that the lower-pitched strings have a longer wavelength thus placing the pickup too close to the bridge will cause it to pickup a much smaller amplitude than is actually present. IE, if the wavelength was, say, 10 inches then the greatest amplitude will occur at 2.5" and 7.5" with no amplitude at all at 0", 5" and 10" - you wouldn't want the pickup too near 0" or it will barely pickup any vibration. I read somewhere that bridge pickups tend to have more treble than bass, is this true and is what I guessed above the reason and is that angled pickup Fender's fix?

cheers
Tis a nice thought but the wave length will change with every note you play so some notes may be "picked up" at a node and others at a peak.

The reason pickups are angled is to make the lower notes bassier and higher notes brighter, on a strat this gives it the twang. I personally prefer the pickup slanted the other way (so lower notes are brighter and higher notes bassier) as it evens out the sound but I'm in a minority...

:cheers: