Pipe bomb Microphone

PDA

View Full Version : Pipe bomb Microphone

Spade1
08-23-2006, 09:06 PM
Does anybody now how to build (Or even heard of) a Pipe bomp Mic, The only Info I have on it is that its a High output guitar pickup in a copper Tube, and that there used as amp mics, adam jones of tool used one on 10,000 days,

MsterofPuppets7
08-23-2006, 09:11 PM
there was already a thread about this, i think in the pit. right now i tired and cant think too strait but if i remember correctly its basicaly a mic inside a tube with another mic on the outside

Spade1
08-23-2006, 09:13 PM
ah shoot there is?, oops,

The Pit Dancer
08-23-2006, 09:17 PM
heard of it but never seen it, and dont know much about it. copper tube as in a vintage lipstick tube pickup or a humbucker. all iv'e heard is that they have enough gain to make dimebag crap himself. in those exact words.

ShutDown785
08-23-2006, 09:25 PM
I think the other thread got closed...
Heres a link that a found, basicly shows you how to make one.
http://www.montagar.com/~PATJ/pipebomb.gif

soul_power
08-23-2006, 09:26 PM
ya. i read about one once on wikipedia

Spade1
08-23-2006, 09:30 PM
You found info on it on wiki? what did you type in the search?, ah no matter I think I have enough no how to figure how to make one, thanks guys,

MsterofPuppets7
08-23-2006, 09:36 PM
all iv'e heard is that they have enough gain to make dimebag crap himself. in those exact words.
siged

Spade1
08-23-2006, 09:38 PM
beat me to it, lol,

lookie here
08-23-2006, 09:54 PM
heard of it but never seen it, and dont know much about it. copper tube as in a vintage lipstick tube pickup or a humbucker. all iv'e heard is that they have enough gain to make dimebag crap himself. in those exact words.
:haha

The Pit Dancer
08-23-2006, 10:01 PM
all iv'e heard is that they have enough gain to make dimebag crap himself. in those exact words.

it wasn't that funny when the guitar store dude said it. :confused:

LuthierofTexas
08-23-2006, 10:45 PM
I have heard that its a small speaker inside of a pipse with a mic in it and closed off at both ends.

Spade1
08-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Apparently theres allot of different pipe bomb mikes,

eddiehimself
08-24-2006, 04:31 AM
Yes i remember the other thread on this, I think the problem is the dude said "not a real bomb" which suggested it was a replica or sumthing.

I'm sure u cud use any mic since a mic is a mic.

roamingbard13
08-24-2006, 09:51 AM
I'm sure u cud use any mic since a mic is a mic.

Which is why you use the same microphone recording as when you are live, and why its useless to pay more then $30 for a microphone.

Spade1
08-24-2006, 10:58 AM
well the one I'm talking about was built with a High output guitar pickup mounted to or on a brass tupe, thats all I know,

t heff
08-24-2006, 11:26 AM
you put a telephone speaker on one end and a pic on the other, incase everything in a pvc pipe, and the distance inbetween them is where you are gonna have to dail it in, basicly thats it, easy as ****

the_random_hero
08-25-2006, 08:11 PM
I'm tempted to google this, but the words 'pipe bomb' would probably have the Feds at my doorstep in a few hours :)

Spade1
08-25-2006, 09:38 PM
I google'd it All that came up was "Recording of 10,000 days" Its a cool article but It just gave me more questions about the pipe bomb Mic then answers,

the_random_hero
08-25-2006, 09:48 PM
There isn't much information out there. Basically, in one end of a pipe, there's a speaker (doesn't matter what type) driven by a guitar with active electronics (not sure if this is enough power) or a pre-amp. In the other end of the pipe is a microphone (doesn't really matter what type). The mic then connects up to an amp or a mixer. When I get some pipe, I'll make a few of these, see what they turn out like. I might even make my own custom range of pipe bombs :)

Spade1
08-25-2006, 09:50 PM
hey let me know how tho's turn out

jticchi
08-28-2006, 03:37 AM
who invented it? 10,000 days is the first time ive ever heard of one

eddiehimself
08-28-2006, 04:44 AM
Which is why you use the same microphone recording as when you are live, and why its useless to pay more then $30 for a microphone.

Well i get alrite results from my 10 mic. Besides were not talking about High quality mics here since it's supposed to be like a distortion pedal from what i read.

the_random_hero
08-28-2006, 11:42 PM
Sorry dude, I'm just going to hijack this thread now =D
I went down to the hardware and bought 1m of 90mm PVC pipe and 2 end caps. All this cost me $8. I went home, ripped apart an old ****ty mic and grabbed a speaker that I thought would fit. I first drilled the hole for the jack in the end of the pipe and fit it in with the washers. I cut the pipe down to about 40cm. No particular reason why. I soldered wires between the jack and the speaker, which didn't quite fit inside the pipe. I just used a grinder to take the edges off the speaker frame. It was a pretty tight fit, so I spun it around so it kind of cut it's own groove into the pipe. I siliconed it in place. I then siliconed the mic into place. I decided to have the mic connected to a lead because I don't have any other jacks lying around.
I don't have a preamp to run it, all I have here is a distortion pedal. So I plug it in, and I'm not totally sure what it sounds like. It sounds really distorted (even though the pedal was relatively turned down), but also sounds a bit reverbey. You know the sound you get when you cup your hands over your ears? Kind of a bit like that. I think I can get a preamp or a small mono amp from a guy at school, I'll get it and post some sound samples too. Here's some pictures...
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j104/the_random_hero_drew/Speaker.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j104/the_random_hero_drew/Mic.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j104/the_random_hero_drew/PipeBomb.jpg

jticchi
08-29-2006, 03:33 AM
cool.

i havent been able to figure out when its used on 10000 days either. is it during the distorted part of rosetta stoned, or the cold flouresence part in wings. in fact if not how did they get that cold flouresence sound.

and ive just realised i know this has been talking bout it for guitars but i got the impression it was for vocals on the album. ???

the_random_hero
08-29-2006, 03:37 AM
People are talking about 2 different things here I think. I'm calling what I made a pipe bomb, simply because I can :haha Mine's a guitar effect.
What Tool used was basically a microphone inside of a piece of copper pipe, totally different from what I made. Somewhere in this thread there's a link to a site that make them, they are like $250 or something ridiculous though.

Spade1
08-29-2006, 09:54 AM
the pipe bomb mic I'm talking about for 10,000 days is a hot-wired guitar pickup (and other unknown parts) in a Copper or brass tube,

but anyway As some of you may know adam jones used three amps on 10,000 days, (a marshall bass amp, a Mesa boogie dual Rectifier, and a Diezel amp) He Splits the signal, plays through all three and then re-mixes the signals to get one final sound, He also did this for the pipe bomb mic, In some parts of allot of songs, he mixed the single parts with the pipe bomb mic (I don't know witch amp he used it with but..) in some parts you'll notice an odd change in tone, thats when the pipe bomb mic (I think) is More prominent in the signal Then everything else,

I noticed it in: Jambi, Wings for marie, 10,000 days, Rosette stoned, Right in two,

oh yeah And nice Work on your pipe bomb mic the_random_hero, Post some Sound demos, I'm going to Try to make one too, If I get to do it i'll also post pics, and sound demos,

Toolfan11
11-12-2007, 08:59 PM
the pipe bomb mic I'm talking about for 10,000 days is a hot-wired guitar pickup (and other unknown parts) in a Copper or brass tube,

but anyway As some of you may know adam jones used three amps on 10,000 days, (a marshall bass amp, a Mesa boogie dual Rectifier, and a Diezel amp) He Splits the signal, plays through all three and then re-mixes the signals to get one final sound, He also did this for the pipe bomb mic, In some parts of allot of songs, he mixed the single parts with the pipe bomb mic (I don't know witch amp he used it with but..) in some parts you'll notice an odd change in tone, thats when the pipe bomb mic (I think) is More prominent in the signal Then everything else,

I noticed it in: Jambi, Wings for marie, 10,000 days, Rosette stoned, Right in two,

oh yeah And nice Work on your pipe bomb mic the_random_hero, Post some Sound demos, I'm going to Try to make one too, If I get to do it i'll also post pics, and sound demos,

In the September issue of Guitar World there's an interview with Adam and he says that on Rosetta Stoned he uses one amp and the pipe bomb mic.

the_random_hero
11-12-2007, 09:01 PM
In the September issue of Guitar World there's an interview with Adam and he says that on Rosetta Stoned he uses one amp and the pipe bomb mic.

You do realise this thread had been dead for 15 months? Totally pointless to bring it back.