What are Diatonic Thirds?

PDA

View Full Version : What are Diatonic Thirds?

HedBanger24/7
08-27-2006, 01:30 AM
I only know basic theory and my friend told me he just found out about diatonic thirds (he also only knows basic theory if any at all). For the past couple of days he has been going on and on about how they help him solo and how they help him seem faster than he really is (honestly i am faster than him when it comes to technique only because i practice an insane amount of time each day and he tries to find easy ways to seem faster). So my question is, what are diatonic thirds?

Also please understand that i am not into saying who ever is faster is better at guitar (i think that people who say that are ignorant morons). My friend just wants to get better but doesn't want to practice.

Anyway, thanks.

Johnljones7443
08-27-2006, 01:36 AM
A diatonic third is an interval which traverses 2 steps in a diatonic scale.

psychodelia
08-27-2006, 01:39 AM
Diatonic thirds are thirds within the key. Instead of sticking to strictly major or minor thirds, you use either major or minor thirds depending on the root and the key you are in.

For example: we use the key of C (C D E F G A B). Building thirds on each note in C, we get:

1. C-E: Major third
2. D-F: Minor third
3. E-G: Minor third
4. F-A: Major third
5. G-B: Major third
6. A-C: Minor third
7. B-D: Minor third

So if you have a solo in a given key, and you play diatonic thirds, you will play a major third if your root is the first, fourth, or fifth note in the key, and a minor third if it is on the second, third, sixth, or seventh notes of the key.

Playing them does not make you faster, for the record. However, I like them for backing parts, or to vary up a solo a bit.

Thegeetarnoob
08-27-2006, 01:42 AM
I don't see how knowing what a diatonic third is can help anyone in terms of speed. :\ It's like from a C to an E or D to an F in the key of C major. I don't understand how this would make you faster. :\

edit: I guess psychodelia got to it before me :( +1 to his explanation

kirbyrocknroll
08-27-2006, 01:44 AM
How does playing diatonic thirds make him seem faster :confused:

HedBanger24/7
08-27-2006, 02:15 AM
He doesn't like to admit it but hes kind of full of himself.

Thanks psychodelia. It makes sense and i might want to mess around with it next time im improvising but when it comes to speed i really dont know how it would make him seem faster. Probably because hes literally going through the scale in that pattern (1. C-E: Major third, 2. D-F: Minor third, 3. E-G: Minor third, etc.) over and over again instead of being creative and messing around with the scale to come up with his own solo.

elvenkindje
08-27-2006, 04:16 AM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/soloing/soloing_basics_ii_part_3_-_harmonizing.html

quinny1089
08-27-2006, 08:26 AM
He doesn't like to admit it but hes kind of full of himself.

Thanks psychodelia. It makes sense and i might want to mess around with it next time im improvising but when it comes to speed i really dont know how it would make him seem faster. Probably because hes literally going through the scale in that pattern (1. C-E: Major third, 2. D-F: Minor third, 3. E-G: Minor third, etc.) over and over again instead of being creative and messing around with the scale to come up with his own solo.

so hes goin

e-------------------
b-------------------
g------------2-4-2-- etc....
d---2-3-2-5-3-5---
a--3-5--------------
e-------------------

??

thats a really good exercise to increase finger independence, steve vai uses it in his 10 hour workout, he also ascends/descends scales in 5ths and 4ths as well from what i can remember