Which Frank Zappa Album is the best?

PDA

View Full Version : Which Frank Zappa Album is the best?

noah22791
08-30-2006, 12:12 PM
I am really starting to get into Frank Zappa and I only have a few of his songs. What I need to know is what do you think his best album is?

I ask this because he has released so many. So for you Zappa fans, give me your opinion on what you think is good.

Here are some of them just for a list:
Apostrophe (')
Strictly Commercial: The Best of Frank Zappa (greatest hits aren't always the best)
Hot Rats
Joe's Garage: Acts I, II, and III
We're Only In It for the Money
Over-Nite Sensation
Shut Up 'N Play yer Guitar
Freak Out!
Sheik Yerbouti
The Gran Wazoo
One Size Fits All

REBARMAN99
08-30-2006, 12:17 PM
My personal fav--------Over-nite sensation

the_caretaker
08-30-2006, 12:18 PM
hot rats and apostrophe are my favourites

automatedshovel
08-30-2006, 12:34 PM
Seeing as the only one I actually own is "Ship Arriving To Late To Save A Drowning Which", I guess I vote for that.

chopps00
08-30-2006, 01:53 PM
If you are interested in Frank Zappa I would recomend a DVD over a cd for sure. The Dub Room Special is ****ing fantastic. There is some uber trippy animation as well as plenty of live Zappa. Funny as hell, well worth the money.

BrainDamage
08-30-2006, 04:38 PM
They sell an Apostrophe'/Overnite Sensation single CD (as opposed to the two separate albums), which is what I have. Those two are my favorites. Everything Zappa put out is an interesting listen...you really can't go wrong.

psychodelia
08-30-2006, 04:41 PM
They sell an Apostrophe'/Overnite Sensation single CD (as opposed to the two separate albums), which is what I have. Those two are my favorites. Everything Zappa put out is an interesting listen...you really can't go wrong.

Yeah, I have that, it's probably a good thing to pick up first.

Strictly Commercial has some good stuff, but a lot of his best songs aren't on it.

BrainDamage
08-30-2006, 04:43 PM
^^well duh, the guy put out more albums then I'm willing to count :p: It would be damn near impossible to cram a handful of his best songs onto one or two CDs.

psychodelia
08-30-2006, 04:49 PM
True, I wasn't typing everything I was thinking. I meant to say his best guitar songs... I mean it has Muffin Man and Sexual Harrassment in the Workplace, but no Zoot Allures or Little Umbrellas or things like that. No Inca Roads, even.

frippogenics
08-30-2006, 05:42 PM
My favorite has always been "We're Only In It For The Money."

Mild Vibe
08-30-2006, 05:52 PM
Hot Rats

I also enjoy cheap thrills...

duncang
08-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Definitely Hot Rats. The Gumbo Variations is probably my favourite Zappa song.

LKW
08-30-2006, 06:28 PM
The Apostrophe/Overnite Sensation disc is a good place to start. It's what got me into him, it's among his most accessible work.

Roxy & Elsewhere is one of my personal favorites. It's a live recording, but Zappa was an audiophile with a superb crew of musicians and sound technicians, so it actually sounds like a studio album most of the time. The material is very good, the musicianship is excellent as always, and it has the energy, spontaneity and atmosphere of a live show.

BrainDamage
08-30-2006, 07:01 PM
^^Roxy & Elsewhere is great. The reason it sounds like a studio album is because most of the basic tracks were recorded live, but some of them were overdubbed in the studio. Regardless, it's a great album, and like you said, the musicianship is excellent.

REBARMAN99
08-30-2006, 07:33 PM
My favorite has always been "We're Only In It For The Money."

I still have my original copy (LP), in the cover-------parody of sgt. peppers
been offered good $ for it, but will never part with it!

power freak
08-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Apostrophe is beyond overated, I love Frank but I seriously think that is among his worst work.

Waka/Jawaka has always been my favourite studio album followed by The Grand Wazoo. For live stuff then either Roxy and Elsewhere or Tinseltown rebellion are my choices.

:cheers:

deadhead313313
08-30-2006, 09:23 PM
Everything Zappa put out is an interesting listen...you really can't go wrong.
Nailed it.

I love every bit of Zappa work. The You Can't Do That Onstage Anymore series is good. Does Humour Belong In Music? also awesome. As mentioned, Roxy and Elsewhere, amazing album. Sheik Yurbouti, also a great. Everything is awesome. Get whatever you can.

LKW
08-31-2006, 04:44 AM
^ I disagree, i see no reason why i should ever give Cruisin' with Ruben & The Jets another listen. I'll agree that most of his music is worth having sooner or later, but some albums are better than others. And some are extremely inaccessible, or a gimmick like the one i just mentioned.

get-born
08-31-2006, 07:21 AM
Seeing as the only one I actually own is "Ship Arriving To Late To Save A Drowning Which", I guess I vote for that.

I have that album also, and I thought it tottally sucked...

Get Apostrophe and Over-Nite Sensation...

Resiliance
08-31-2006, 08:24 AM
I'm quite fond of Joe's Garage... And I seem to be about the only one.

fr0zt
08-31-2006, 08:28 AM
I am really starting to get into Frank Zappa and I only have a few of his songs. What I need to know is what do you think his best album is?

I ask this because he has released so many. So for you Zappa fans, give me your opinion on what you think is good.

Here are some of them just for a list:
Apostrophe (')
Strictly Commercial: The Best of Frank Zappa (greatest hits aren't always the best)
Hot Rats
Joe's Garage: Acts I, II, and III
We're Only In It for the Money
Over-Nite Sensation
Shut Up 'N Play yer Guitar
Freak Out!
Sheik Yerbouti
The Gran Wazoo
One Size Fits All

Trick question. They're all the best.

BrainDamage
08-31-2006, 12:47 PM
I'm quite fond of Joe's Garage... And I seem to be about the only one. you're not the only one :)

Nailed it.

I love every bit of Zappa work. The You Can't Do That Onstage Anymore series is good. do you have Volume 4? I have 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6, it's the only one I'm missing. The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life is pretty good as well.

JethroTullfan72
09-02-2006, 02:33 PM
We're Only in it for the Money and Freak Out.

The National D
09-03-2006, 01:01 AM
"The best band you never heard in your life"
How I wish I had been born 15 years before I was and gone to see him live...
If live albums are discounted, then "Hot Rats"

ThePeacefrog
09-03-2006, 03:23 PM
If your just starting to listen to Zappa i would go with Freak Out to begin with. Starting with this makes for an easier transition to the music if youve never heard it, which can be over wealming on the fist few listens

fr0zt
09-04-2006, 09:54 AM
If your just starting to listen to Zappa i would go with Freak Out to begin with. Starting with this makes for an easier transition to the music if youve never heard it, which can be over wealming on the fist few listens

Yeah I can agree with that only if the listener is into 60's rock.

Slashfan_666
09-18-2006, 07:59 AM
I'm quite fond of Joe's Garage... And I seem to be about the only one.

You are not alone resi!

VR05
09-19-2006, 04:43 PM
^^Roxy & Elsewhere is great. The reason it sounds like a studio album is because most of the basic tracks were recorded live, but some of them were overdubbed in the studio. Regardless, it's a great album, and like you said, the musicianship is excellent.

It also could be because Frank didn't really record his guitar parts in the studio, he just took live clips, and pasted them into the studio recordings, because he never was satisfied with his studio work (besides overdubs).. That may be why it sounds like studio, because most of his "studio" is actually live work.

BrainDamage
09-19-2006, 05:57 PM
^^well, that could be it also...but it says it in the booklet for Roxy & Elsewhere that the basic tracks were from live shows and some stuff was overdubbed in the studio :p:

pUrPlE_hAzE
09-19-2006, 07:23 PM
it depends what sort of music u want, if u want his funny stuff go for sheik yerbouti, jazz grand wazoo, guitar stuff get shut up and play your guitar. or go for a compilation like strictly commercial, cheap thrills or have i offended someone.