Hardcore - The Unknown Genre ?

PDA

View Full Version : Hardcore - The Unknown Genre ?

fridge_raider
09-03-2006, 08:29 AM
Is it just me, or is hardcore one of the most misunderstood and little known about genres ?

Around here (I live in Yorkshire, England) no one seems to know what hardcore is, even big music fans, and when I mention a hardcore band or the genre in general, people either think I mean hardcore, as in hardcore dance (Distrukshun, Uprising, etc.) or they think I mean hardcore as in heavy music.

Does anyone else agree, or in your area is everyone knowledgable ?

swainy
09-03-2006, 08:47 AM
People in my area, at least those who are more into the rock/metal/punk styles of music know what hardcore is. Although I do tend to come across kids who think they know, when they clearly dont.

universal_man
09-03-2006, 09:13 AM
before this,i thought hardcore was a part of metal...but im wrong...hardcore is hardcore,metalcore is part of hardcore...not metal..

oh,people in my area think (not all of them),rock = metal/hardcore....weird

hatebreed219
09-03-2006, 09:14 AM
People around here know the word, but they don't know what it sounds like, my girlfriend calls Throwdown's version of Baby Got Back the, "Death Metal" Version......yeah....

Most people think this whole new wave of metalcore bands is what hardcore is, close, but no cigar. I've heard people call metalcore bands "grungy screaming ****," "kill your mother music" and other fun stuff, if only people would really listen to the lyrics and hear what a lot of bands are saying.

However there are some people that have their **** together and know what real hardcore is.

fridge_raider
09-03-2006, 09:29 AM
Yeah , there are a few, it just seems that in general it is little known. Plus, when people do claim to know what it is , they only know bands like A7X, Bullet.... etc, which are metalcore, and quite frankly a crappy version of it.

StuartR
09-03-2006, 09:30 AM
People around here know the word, but they don't know what it sounds like, my girlfriend calls Throwdown's version of Baby Got Back the, "Death Metal" Version......yeah....

Most people think this whole new wave of metalcore bands is what hardcore is, close, but no cigar. I've heard people call metalcore bands "grungy screaming ****," "kill your mother music" and other fun stuff, if only people would really listen to the lyrics and hear what a lot of bands are saying.

However there are some people that have their **** together and know what real hardcore is.

People who say that kinds stuff just get ignored by me.

PiNk_ThE_pUnK
09-03-2006, 09:32 AM
Yeah most people around here know what they're talking about, but you always get little fucknuts that think they know everything when they actually know sod all.

universal_man
09-03-2006, 09:36 AM
they dont know about exactly...heh

divid3d
09-03-2006, 10:56 AM
pretty much every genre is misunderstood besides the commercial stuff that everyone is exposed to. most people wouldn't know the difference between trance, house, electro, happy hardcore and techno, or the difference between death metal, black metal, prog metal, goth metal and thrash metal for example. most people in my area (in australia) seem fairly musically retarded and they have no interest in anything other than what they already listen to. it's a bit sad really.

unluCKY...

technicolour
09-03-2006, 02:33 PM
I think emo has it just as bad as hardcore, if not worse.

Post Disastor
09-03-2006, 02:37 PM
People in my area, at least those who are more into the rock/metal/punk styles of music know what hardcore is. Although I do tend to come across kids who think they know, when they clearly dont.

couldnt have said it better myself.

GreenPhantom
09-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Actually there is a UK Hardcore band coming out called Your Creation...why do i know this? I did their album art (woot!)

They are awesome. And im not a fan of hardcore at all , but this is niiice

richard900
09-03-2006, 07:55 PM
I dont know why people fuss over what genre a band is, if something sounds good then it sounds good, who gives 2 f-cks if its metalcore, emo, punk or whatever... you fussy bastards

Gomorrah
09-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Most people in my town know what hardcore is and how it is different from metalcore, but most still prefer metalcore.

Nybb
09-04-2006, 06:09 AM
Any music with screaming, or with bandmembers who dress like women, gets called "hardcore" around here. I can't really say that I listen to hardcore because people around here think it's something else and don't know what I'm talking about.

But yeah, I'm with technicolour, emo definitely has bigger misunderstanding problems with the masses.

pistols
09-04-2006, 06:11 AM
around here people here the music and call it death metal just because of the vocals.

and there was a time when a girl at school asked if i hang around emo's. i said 'most of them are hardcore kids' and she says 'what makes them so hardcore?'

Craigo
09-04-2006, 06:40 AM
Mate, I live in Somerset and I'm tryign to promote a scene down here. North Somerset that is, I live in Weston Super Mare. The number of metalheads is small, but a decent amount. The rest are scene kids who like AFI and **** like that. But - when it comes to hardcore - I don't actually know anyone else who has a good understanding as me. Only a few understand, and it's bollocks. In fact, it's only about two people. One of them I taught. Two people who have a decent understanding about hardcore and the scene. I go to other counties a lot if I want to go to a decent gig.

What also annoys me, I try to go on about breakdowns, and scene kids, and stuff. It's worked to a extent that girls wearing black, white, red, blue and green at once are calling others scene kids, and a friend of mine thinks that ANY bridge is a breakdown.

Ohh, and death metal? I got this pass them on email saying that Hatebreed, Soulfly, Cradle Of Filth etc are death metal. That pissed me off so much. And yes, around here, to most people, if there's shouting and it isn't Slipknot or Drowning Pool, it's hardcore and too bad ass for them.

I dont know why people fuss over what genre a band is, if something sounds good then it sounds good, who gives 2 f-cks if its metalcore, emo, punk or whatever... you fussy bastards

To any decent hardcore fan, it's far more than a genre.

kryptonite22
09-04-2006, 08:06 AM
I think emo has it just as bad as hardcore, if not worse. True.

It's the same with everything. If you like that music, you'll know about it. If you're not into it, you probably won't know the intricacies unless someone who is into it explains it to you or you actively find out about it. I think we all know people who call Fall Out Boy 'emo', Atreyu 'hardcore' and stuff like that.

But I agree with the threadstarter, although like Dai says, Wales isn't so bad, depending on who you talk to.

universal_man
09-04-2006, 10:35 AM
yo,in my country (malaysia),this usually happen to people that listen to pop r&b,any music that have screaming,tottoos band member,they call it black metal...stupid right...?
even it is a emo band...

dead_kennedy
09-04-2006, 10:51 AM
I can totally relate with Craigo. Now maybe I don't have it as bad, but it's still pretty god awful. I live in Milton Keynes (about an hour car drive away from London) and it's infested with Slipknot fans and scene kids. Everyone just loves bands like Suicide Silence and Eternal Lord around here, and have crap loads of piercings and have massive fringes. There's actually only about 3 people that I know that actually have an understanding of Hardcore. I'm trying to put on some shows with a few Hardcore bands from out of town and such, but it's looking pretty hopeless at the moment.