Alder Vs. Mahogany

PDA

View Full Version : Alder Vs. Mahogany

into the moat
09-14-2006, 06:56 PM
so ive been looking around for a new guitar for a long time and ive almost decided. it has an alder body though. would i be better off getting mahogany or will it not affect my tone as much as i think. i use a krank revolution head and i play progressive metal/shred/melodic death metal

rocknrollgod
09-14-2006, 06:58 PM
alder is like one of the cheapest wood guitars come in. you are so much better off with mohogany

maXterbat0r
09-14-2006, 07:00 PM
alder is brighter, mahogany is deeper. by which i mean more suited to playing...

basswood would be another viable option...

ClassicAxe
09-14-2006, 07:01 PM
^And your an idiot.

Alder is right up there with mahogony buddy. Alder for brighter tones, mahog for more darker tones, basswood for in between tones.

Wehther its cheap in price or not, its a GOOD wood.

Oh, and i find your sig very unlikely.

TheGreatLSD
09-14-2006, 07:09 PM
I really don't think it will affect your tone as much if you use effects. Like the others said, it might be a little brighter sounding, but it's still a good wood.

into the moat
09-14-2006, 07:14 PM
brighter as in thinner and more trebly?

CoKane311
09-14-2006, 07:39 PM
brighter as in not "dark sounding."

sphefx
01-02-2008, 12:09 AM
You're going to be much better off with mahogany for your style. Trust me, you can always replace the electronics, but your stuck with the woods so its important you have a body which will suit the style of music you want to play.

Alder has a brighter, strat-like tone, while mahogany has a deeper tone, like a Les Paul.

pierce34celtic
01-02-2008, 12:13 AM
I think mahogany would suit your styles better, lots of low end chunk for tight riffage.

mck_776
01-02-2008, 12:14 AM
alder is like one of the cheapest wood guitars come in. you are so much better off with mohogany

Absolute bollocks...

You MAY be thinking of Agathis, which is cheap...

Alder is a brighter and more resonant wood, and is used in strats and a lot of superstrats, so you can guess what sort of tones that produces...

Mahogany is much deeper and provides more sustain, and is the main reason behind the tone of a LP etc...

In your case, I think you'd be best off with the mahogany, although don't be put off that guitar...

There are plenty of guitarists who play heavy with alder! As far as I know, Kirk Hammett's signature is Alder, as are Alexi Laiho's V's...

TheShred201
01-02-2008, 12:46 AM
I like both....mahogany is a fatter tone, more bass, darker...alder is thinner, more trebly, and a sharper tone. Both are great--they are just different. It all comes down to personal preference.

Blacksabbath92
01-02-2008, 12:57 AM
for your type of music , (metal/melodic/shred), id go with alder man, its bright and perfect for your style. But ultimately, there is a slight variation in tone between the wood, of course it matters however it is not very drastic.

mafropetee
01-02-2008, 01:00 AM
I personally like Mahogany a lot better, but they are both good woods that are used in high quality instruments. Just get whatever sounds the best to you.

BTW, how is that Krank? I've yet to try them out. The Krankenstein was a major disappointment, so I would really like to know how the Revolution One series sounds.

ECistheBest
01-02-2008, 01:00 AM
how did anybody dig up this thread? it's more than 15 months old...

TheShred201
01-02-2008, 01:01 AM
I'd say....Mahogany if you do more rythm playing, alder for leads. Blacksabbath, i would say there is a quite noticable tone difference. I have two mahogany guitars, an ash, and an alder. None have the same pickups, but the two mahogany guitars sound quite similar and completely different from the other two.

mck_776
01-02-2008, 01:02 AM
for your type of music , (metal/melodic/shred), id go with alder man, its bright and perfect for your style. But ultimately, there is a slight variation in tone between the wood, of course it matters however it is not very drastic.

There is a massive tonal difference between the two woods!!! While neither sound at all bad for any genre, there is still a huge difference!

If you're playing more leads, Alder would be better possibly, depending on your desired tone!

As long as the guitar is made from a quality wood, i'd say you could play any genre if you have the right amp...

Amp is most of your tone, so start there...

mafropetee
01-02-2008, 01:02 AM
how did anybody dig up this thread? it's more than 15 months old...

Oh dear... I just noticed the date on it. Geez.

Blacksabbath92
01-02-2008, 01:03 AM
yeah man, i guess i can agree, an amp is really your 2nd instrument, its not only the guitar.

TheShred201
01-02-2008, 01:07 AM
haha I didn't see either. About the Kranks:
I liked the Rev when I played it, but at the time it was the only amp over $300 I had played. I haven't played one in a long time. I've heard some pretty good Krankenstein tones though. Many people don't like them. Krank has great customer service though. Look into the Krankenstein and Rev + (the two new ones...not the SST though.), as I've heard some great things about them.

cmait4
12-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Mahogany, alder, mahogany, alder, mahogany, alder, mahogany, alder,
I CAN'T DECIDE! THEIR BOTH GOOD! :wtf: :puke:
Well, from what I've seen, heard and played, mahogany is better for rhythm stuff and drop tuning because of its darker tone, and alder is better for crayzah solos :headbang: because of its lighter tone. If you wanted to be really diverse you could get both kinds (by spending all the money you don't have :D ) or you could order a custom guitar which has a laminated alder/mahogany body, though I'm not sure how it would sound and it would probably cost you $99999999999999.

Dave_Mc
12-10-2013, 07:25 PM
^ it just depends, really. i'm not sure i'd say either mahogany or alder is better for lead or rhythm, it just depends on the type of tone you're after.

Vecheka
12-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Or you could split the difference and get swamp ash. :]

Dave_Mc
12-10-2013, 07:29 PM
except it's arguably less like mahogany than alder?

basswood is probably arguably more like splitting the difference between alder and mahogany. and even that's debatable, really.

dannyalcatraz
12-10-2013, 07:34 PM
Since this is an old thread, I'm going to say...korina.

...or walnut.

..or maple.

...pine, perhaps?

Vecheka
12-10-2013, 07:35 PM
except it's arguably less like mahogany than alder?

basswood is probably arguably more like splitting the difference between alder and mahogany. and even that's debatable, really.
Sure, both swamp ash and basswood sit in the middle between mahogany and alder. I'm just saying you don't have to be confined to sounding like a strat or an LP - there's a whole range in the middle.

dannyalcatraz
12-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Wenge.

Roc8995
12-10-2013, 09:01 PM