Modes in Famous Songs

PDA

View Full Version : Modes in Famous Songs

K10P
09-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Im trying to figure out some examples of modes in famous songs (after reading that Satriani quote) if anyone can help it would be cool

Lydian-Steve Vai-For the Love of God
Mixolydian-Hendrix 3rd Rock From the Sun

Morgy
09-18-2006, 11:51 AM
The start of Surfing With The Alien by Joe Satriani, where it's in G. He uses the G Dorian scale for the main melody.

Also, Whereever I May Roam by Metallica is using the Phyrgian (spelling?) mode.
The main riff in Sad But True (Metallica) uses the Locrian.

quinny1089
09-18-2006, 12:59 PM
the verse of sweet child of mine by gnr is in D mixolydian as is she sells sanctuary by the Cult.

and i never saw how for the love of god was in lydian...it always sounded like it resolved to B to me...which would make it phrigian....
i dunno i must be missing something here from the amount of times ive heard that quoted...

psychodelia
09-18-2006, 06:00 PM
Also, Whereever I May Roam by Metallica is using the Phyrgian (spelling?) mode.

Good one. Of course, you forgot the most famous Locrian riff, Enter Sandman!

Also, the riff for Crazy Train is F# Aeolian.

Shorrock
09-18-2006, 06:05 PM
Good one. Of course, you forgot the most famous Locrian riff, Enter Sandman!

Also, the riff for Crazy Train is F# Aeolian.

i think am right in saying that the verse of entersandman uses the phrygian mode.

correct??

psychodelia
09-18-2006, 06:08 PM
Once you hit the verse, I think it's more phrygian. The main riff is E locrian for the most part, with one or two accidentals from the fifths of powerchords.

Kid_Thorazine
09-18-2006, 06:11 PM
pretty much everything from Ozzys first to solo albums is based on modes, and Randy Rhoads use the Aeolian mode alot.

guitarviz
09-19-2006, 01:05 AM
Just because something has a flat fifth doesn't always mean its Locrian. Especially if a natural fifth is used along with the flat fifth. Because the sound of Locrian is no fifth (fifth is flatted) meaning its the hardest mode to point to examples for, cuz the fifth is so prevalent in western music.

So I'll quit beating around the bush and mention that even tho the Enter Sandman riff taken by itself doesn't have a natural fifth in it, when the riff switches up to F# (in between verse and chorus), in the backup harmony vocals, there's a fifth (C#) of F# floating around somewhere back in there. Also when Kirk solos over that same part (F#) he hits C#'s instead of only C's.

p.s. and why would the verse in Enter Sandman be Phrygian? Only F's in there are sharped (power chord riff following singing = G E F# E F# GG) not natural.

guitarviz
09-19-2006, 01:34 AM
even tho the Enter Sandman riff taken by itself doesn't have a natural fifth in it

actually, it does: the E power chords in the second guitar.

Archeo Avis
09-19-2006, 01:57 AM
Mixolydian: Joe Satriani - The Extremist (harmonica solo)
Dorian: Steve Vai - Bad Horsie (if I remember correctly)

quinny1089
09-19-2006, 02:40 AM
p.s. and why would the verse in Enter Sandman be Phrygian? Only F's in there are sharped (power chord riff following singing = G E F# E F# GG) not natural.

the verse riff goes, EEEEEEEF EEEEEEEF EEEEEEEF (then) G E F# E F# GG

EZLN libertad
09-19-2006, 08:30 AM
i believe satriani uses a mode when he starts tapping in surfing with the alien, im not sure though, i'd have to go back, i know its based off harmonic minor

sirpsycho85
09-19-2006, 10:55 AM
jazz will give you a good feel for dorian. cannonball adderly does this little lick on the "so what" solo that goes like this (i put it in compound meter to give a better idea of the triplet feel of the rhythm, i might be wrong here):

1 . . 2 . . 3 . . 4 . . 1 . . 2 . . 3 . . 4 . .
e|-10----------------------------------------------|
B|-----131210--------------10----------------------|
G|-----------12--------9-10----12109-12------------|
D|-------------------------------------------------|
A|-------------------------------------------------|
E|-------------------------------------------------|

sounds like a great example of the dorian sound, go listen to the song.

Morgy
09-19-2006, 11:51 AM
i believe satriani uses a mode when he starts tapping in surfing with the alien, im not sure though, i'd have to go back, i know its based off harmonic minor

I'm not 100% sure, but I think he uses C# dominant phrygian. (Not sure if thats the correct title, but it's basically a phrygian with a major third instead of a minor third.)

Jaffaps2
09-19-2006, 01:51 PM
When I spoke to Satch in June after a gig, I asked what his favourite mode was...

He said he loves them all!

Archeo Avis
09-19-2006, 02:26 PM
When I spoke to Satch in June after a gig, I asked what his favourite mode was...

He said he loves them all!

Cop out.
You should have slapped him and told him to give you a real answer.

gamayshark
09-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Why does it seem like only metal shredders or complex jazz musicians use modes? I don't really like that stuff personally, nor do I play it, but it seems to me like most rock bands use the pent. scale. Which would totally suck, because I spent months learning my modes, and I just love using the mixolydian over dom7s, which is kinda bluesy. But all the others seem, except minor and major, to be used in metal and jazz.

Hardin
09-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Why does it seem like only metal shredders or complex jazz musicians use modes? I don't really like that stuff personally, nor do I play it, but it seems to me like most rock bands use the pent. scale. Which would totally suck, because I spent months learning my modes, and I just love using the mixolydian over dom7s, which is kinda bluesy. But all the others seem, except minor and major, to be used in metal and jazz.

I play straight up rock n' roll (70's mostly) and I don't know the pent. scales but I DO know the modes :) and I basically add chromatics in wherever it sounds good.

Kartman
09-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Any song in a Major key has used the Ionian.

Archeo Avis
09-20-2006, 12:17 AM
Any song in a Major key has used the Ionian.

Unless they used Lydian, or Mixolydian (technically dominant)

guitarviz
09-21-2006, 12:56 AM
First off, sorry for dissing other people's suggestions and not offering any of my own. ;) So here are some that are not plain old major (Ionian) or minor (Aeolian):

Purple Haze, solo: E dorian

Led Zep: Ramble On, dual guitar lead (the first one): E dorian

Led Zep: Dancing Days, main riff: G lydian

Satriani: Flying in a Blue Dream, C lydian

Pantera: This Love, main riff (intro): G phrygian? This sounds phrygian because of the flat 2nd (Ab), altho when he solos over this riff later on he's mainly doing pentatonic stuff...

Hendrix: Third Stone from the Sun, intro: D lydian (with a switch to G lydian in the middle?) then to a short bridge of E aeolian? then to the octave part, which as someone else mentioned, is E mixolydian

now, was Hendrix consciously doing this modal switching, or was he just screwing around and came up with something so beautifully out there, is what I'd like to know

(if I had to bet $, I would bet he was just screwing around, perhaps hallucinogenically aided ;)

xxdarrenxx
09-21-2006, 06:57 AM
Pretty much all from Vai is lydian based or has lydian stuff in it.

Summer song - joe satriani - Mixolydian

Almost all Legato stuff Satch does is Ionian

John Petrucci - Glasgow kiss - mixolydian
John Petrucci - Curve - Lydian in the first riff but changes modes throughout the song. It's basically one big modal Study

To me modes only make sense if you can hear them not if it's theoretic okay.

I do know when there are modes but i'm only interested in it if I can really hear it. Metallica is just metal and I think they more think of Chromaticity and what sounds aggressive then modes.

guitarviz
09-21-2006, 10:01 AM
Led Zep: Ramble On, dual guitar lead (the first one): E dorian

oops, this is WRONG.

For 10 pts see if you can guess what mode it is. (its E, but not dorian)

hint: you need to look at the underlying chords. (this was my mistake)