Epiphone G-400 vs SG Standard S.O.R

PDA

View Full Version : Epiphone G-400 vs SG Standard S.O.R

VAM
09-18-2006, 09:47 PM
Okay, so I've been going back and forth, trying to decide which new guitar to buy. I thought I had settled on the G-400, but then the S.O.R. caught my eye. Now, I havn't had the chance to actually play the S.O.R., so my interest in it, at least right now, is purely in it's aesthetics. Searching the forum, I found that it was once featured as Musicians Friend's Guitar of the Month, but they don't seem to carry the model anymore. What makes me a little warry is that it lists for nearly $100 less than the G-400 on the Guitar Center website...

What I'm looking for are the opinions of anyone who has played one or the other (preferably the S.O.R.) or both. You thoughts and comments are really appreciated.

G-400:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_epiphone_g400_sg_electric_guitar?full_sku=100042754

S.O.R.:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/Epiphone-SG-Standard-S.O.R-Electric-Guitar?full_sku=102676350

By the way, does anyone know what the "S.O.R." stands for?

Dom5412
09-18-2006, 10:14 PM
I like the look of the SOR more, but I'm a fan of that vintage cherry. Go with what you like. I mean, it's going to be your guitar, not ours.

And if they both sound the same...

VAM
09-18-2006, 10:29 PM
I like the look of the SOR more, but I'm a fan of that vintage cherry. Go with what you like. I mean, it's going to be your guitar, not ours.

And if they both sound the same...

That's the problem, I don't know if they sound the same. The only place I've seen the SOR model is on the Guitar Center website. That's why I'm trying to find someone who's played on before.

And yeah, I also like the vintage cherry look (plus the full pick guard).

x0ny
09-19-2006, 07:57 AM
I think the SOR is what I have, The guy at the guitar center told me it was a Guitar Center custom guitar, it has a satin finish and some other things i don't remmember. I bought it for 360$ and a gibson gig bag.

paintITblack39
09-19-2006, 08:44 AM
I like the G-400. Although, you should find a store and try that SOR.

kle
09-19-2006, 09:58 AM
I'd get the SOR. Don't think there's much difference. They're both SGs from the same Manufacturer.
The SOR with the "complete" pickgard and the worn chery's just more beautiful.

Kid_Thorazine
09-19-2006, 10:01 AM
I'd get the SOR. Don't think there's much difference. They're both SGs from the same Manufacturer.
The SOR with the "complete" pickgard and the worn chery's just more beautiful.

heh theres a pretty big difference between an SG Special and an SG Standard, butsince they are in the same price range i cant imagine the differences being too great.