screaming

PDA

View Full Version : screaming

nopoleon779467
09-21-2006, 09:28 PM
how in the world do you practice screaming without anyone hearing you?i cant practice like outside my house either?and i was wondering what are some good online sites to help people learn how to scream?

guitarwannabe16
09-21-2006, 09:32 PM
its pretty hard to find a place where no one will hear you. You could go in your car and do it? idk.

saulhudsonslash
09-21-2006, 09:34 PM
well, take it from a fello screamer ((no not screamo, more like metal/death metal screams)) the best time to do it is when you play, so like play and scream at the same time, and NO NOT WITH YOURSELF, with a guitar, sicko, lol.

nopoleon779467
09-21-2006, 09:38 PM
ok. but does anyone know how to get those lower sounding almost growls spencer chamberlin does in define the great line by underoath?

stratstrummer40
09-21-2006, 09:41 PM
Learning to scream?

Oh thats easy, just stick a cucumber up your ass really fast and release your twisted anger and pain on the microphone.

Smoothie
09-22-2006, 08:44 AM
ok. but does anyone know how to get those lower sounding almost growls spencer chamberlin does in define the great line by underoath?

Play low notes at high volume and full distortion and scream to them... Try to let your air come from really deep within your lungs. If you have not had previous practice with normal singing then your voice will not be strong enough.

Anyways, you either have the scream or you don't, it's not really something you can develop (unless you're a 14 year old that hasn't gone through puberty and speaks like mickey mouse).

Although there IS a proper way to do it, without hurting yourself. And I wouldn't know how to explain that, I just managed to get there by myself.

canvasOBSCURE
09-22-2006, 03:10 PM
To practice its easiest to turn some music up loud enough to scream to by yourself.

If you want lower sounds then inhale instead of exhaling. Its more for growling but alot of bands do it like Job For A Cowboy, and wecamewithbrokenteeth.

ShredtoBed
09-22-2006, 05:58 PM
If you wanna get good at screaming, you have to scream.
You cant get good at guitar by playing the jew's harp...so go scream your ass off.

Tom Martin
09-22-2006, 06:04 PM
The thing with screaming is not to push it. Don't scream from your throat, that is very easy to do... and will also demolish your vocal chords quicker than eating a cheese grater. Scream from your lungs, with your diaphragm... You shouldn't be able to feel it at the top of your throat or your mouth at all... it all comes from below!

ShredtoBed
09-22-2006, 06:15 PM
OH! WARM UP BEFORE SCREAMING!

This is very important. Just simple scales will do the trick. This helps alot and will help with soreness tons.

Invictious
09-22-2006, 07:49 PM
Well I can false scream without hurting my throat...

I eat chocolate :D

Ok

I get my throat into falsetto mode, then I somewhat close my throat, and sing through the closed throat in falsetto, sounds decent enough, but it's fake, or it might be the proper way to do that, dunno, people say it's decent though.

StuartR
09-23-2006, 12:07 AM
It's difficult to explain and there is different techniques for different styles, you've basically got to try it yourself and you'll figure out.

PiNk_ThE_pUnK
09-23-2006, 05:09 AM
If you search the Metal forum for something along the lines of 'screaming' or 'growling' there's a thread by Spynal who is the vocalist in an incredibly competant metal band and he gives a damn good lesson.

Search it out.

Necrofied
09-24-2006, 03:38 AM
Learning to scream?

Oh thats easy, just stick a cucumber up your ass really fast and release your twisted anger and pain on the microphone.

Original :rolleyes:

Invictious
09-24-2006, 09:46 AM
Is that why Matt heafy from Trivium stands like that when peforming> Hahahah

Paris_In_Flames
09-24-2006, 08:21 PM
low pitched growling is pretty easy. Thats pretty much the only form of screaming I can do. I wish I had a higher scream though.

Anyways, has anyone seen the Zen of Screaming dvds? I think they're so ridiculous but a lot of people have said they helped. opinions?

Gomorrah
09-24-2006, 09:33 PM
Learning to scream?

Sounds like someone knows what hes talking about.

screamokid
09-26-2006, 10:45 PM
low pitched growling is pretty easy. Thats pretty much the only form of screaming I can do. I wish I had a higher scream though.

yeah that me too i can do low spencer from underoath screams but its the high ones that i cant do any suggestions?

StuartR
09-27-2006, 02:20 PM
yeah that me too i can do low spencer from underoath screams but its the high ones that i cant do any suggestions?

Learning to scream?

;) At least you'll have fun trying.

sc_stanger
10-09-2006, 01:43 PM
the best time to do it...is to do it when your just gettin so pumped up and into it cuz then you feel ready to just let loos...basically just make it sound like yourself too

ShredtoBed
10-09-2006, 06:37 PM
Try to listen to some of your favorite screamers. See which ones are closest to your scream and sing along to a few of their tunes. Then just expand on theirs and pull in other singers styles as you progress.

Me2NiK
10-09-2006, 11:42 PM
The only way to scream without injuring yourself is to use your false vocal chords, and your false vocal chords will only vibrate at loud volumes. There isn't really anyway to practice without making a lot of noise.

martyr
10-10-2006, 12:42 AM
trip some lsd and go out into the woods.. for a week

duh, let the indians teach you how

PaintOurSilence
10-10-2006, 07:26 PM
Its kinda hard to explain for me. I just kinda learned it because I have a history of making weird sound effects with my mouth and throat and stuff so I just accidentally stumbled upon it one day completely by accident. www.myspace.com/amongthehiddenmusic thats me screaming, its an old recording ive gotta much better since then.

Nor'Easterbass
10-11-2006, 04:29 PM
In your car, alone, listening to hardcore or metalcore stuff real loud. or in front of ur stereo at home turned up a good bit. to have it sound right, u can't do it at low volumes, you don't get the same grit or energy or much of anything for that matter. just try it out whenever. if ur timid, then hardcore is probably the wrong place for you anyway :p: haha. who knows hto, maybe u can be the next big hardcore/metalcore singer dude. find out anyways.