How to sound indie/shoegaze

PDA

View Full Version : How to sound indie/shoegaze

Nautaflcl
09-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Ok, so i could probably do this if i used my creativity really well and listened to alot of shoegaze and indie bands, which i am starting to do, but i just want to know, how do i get a shoegaze/indie sound? are there any certain characteristics or techniques used in shoegaze and indie? i know they use pedals, shoegaze i mean, alot, which i am planning on doing. But is there anything else i should know? :] K thanks.

Wasted Resource
09-22-2006, 11:31 AM
Guitar Player - Stare at the floor. Do not make eye contact at all costs. If possible, grow your hair over your eyes. No fancy tricks. Texture over technique.

Singer/Guitar player - Keep your face towards the audience, but stare at the ceiling. Make it look like you're about to cry. A little mascara helps, but don't overdo it or they'll call you glam no matter how emotional your sound is.

I'm only having fun.

Seriously though, indie music is pretty broad these days - anywhere from Hammerhead to Belle and Sebastian. I associate idie with unique textures and interesting lyrical content and delivery. Take a pedal or a couple of pedals and find a sound. Develop a technique around the sound you create. This approach should dramatically change the way you play guitar.

To create truly a truly independant sound, just be honest. Be yourself, and turn up the volume.

Nautaflcl
09-22-2006, 02:58 PM
hey thanks man, i think you might've given me the most useful info i've read on here so far, thanks alot. as to the way i play guitar, as in skill or my style? but probably both i guess.. but thanks, i understand, thanks alot.

sonicsurfersmod
05-31-2007, 10:41 PM
hey thanks man, i think you might've given me the most useful info i've read on here so far, thanks alot. as to the way i play guitar, as in skill or my style? but probably both i guess.. but thanks, i understand, thanks alot.
Just be yourself. I am positive if you keep listening to good bands indie their sound will rub off on you. I personally do not think you have to dress a certain way unless you want to.. umm sorry that's all I can think of do you want some more indie bands to listen to?

sonicsurfersmod
05-31-2007, 10:46 PM
Modest Mouse ^_^ I am obsessed with them. The new bright eyes album is good in my opinion. I hear allot of folk styles and different types of music being used in creative ways in many new indie bands. Try to mix styles take time to experiment for a new sound eh sorry I am not helpful Oh myspace look for local bands and such yeah......

ElectricMammal
05-31-2007, 11:03 PM
Ive noticed that the guitar in indie bands isnt as concentrated in licks and riffs and solos and stuff as basic chord progressions...think "sister jack"

And if your singing, try to sing like jim morrison...like talking but in a melodic way.

dont forget to play in a clean channel and not any effects but wah OR chorus, not fuzz or distortion

DarTHie
06-01-2007, 07:54 AM
Use effects for wall of sound (wall of noise) type of sound.

steven seagull
06-01-2007, 09:33 AM
Drench your guitar in reverb and delay.

YourLastAffront
06-01-2007, 10:25 AM
For shoegaze (if you're looking for a Kevin Shields style sound) Reverse Reverb is essential. As is a decent distortion like a Marshall Guvnor Mark 1 or a Rat. Delays are used by some bands, but I wouldn't use chorus or flange. Single coils help, particularly guitars like a Jaguar or Jazzmaster because the vibrato on them is pretty key to nailing Kevin Shields' guitar sound.

Kevin Shields claims he didn't use compression on Loveless, although I find that hard to believe from the song waveforms. There was definitely a lot of natural compression as a side effect of the volume they played at, and obviously some compression was added by the valve amps he used.

Some bands used alternate tunings too because the different string tensions causes them to drone and sustain differently.

If you want any more info please ask, I know a lot about this.

YourLastAffront
06-01-2007, 10:30 AM
As for indie, play what you think sounds good. Seriously, you want to emulate an ethic? An example of an indie band's equipment - Pavement - Steven Malkmus used Strats, Jazzmasters and P90 equiped through Rats/Turbo Rats and a Crowther Hotcake into a Fender Deluxe Reverb. Scott Kannenberg was pretty much the same, but He used Mustangs, Telecaster Deluxes and Les Paul Customs.